Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

26 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Happy Friday everyone  - having a drink in honor of my friend (and barber) who passed away yesterday way too soon.  Viewing was today.    About 2 years ago he went to ER with extreme headache pains and left being diagnosed with brain cancer and  maybe 1 year to live.  He fought for 2 years and got to take his wife and 3 kids to Disney and to the beach one last time.  45 years old.  Harsh reminder of how fragile life is.  Please join me in a toast to Matt.  Cheers!  🍻🍻

70A2C703-C1A3-4037-8C49-6AAD661B531E.thumb.jpeg.bd0dd33897fc466af69cd1d9f96bf2a2.jpeg

Cheers!  Sorry about your friend Matt.  So very young.  May he Rest in Peace.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Do you like ‘Stuffies’?  I make a damn good one, if I say so myself. I add ground chorizo, a finely chopped red bell pepper and the stuffing is crushed Ritz cracker crumbs. The key is to very lightly spoon them into the quahog shell, don’t pack it in which makes them too dense.  

Love stuffies and love them fresh out of the shell.🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dpostman said:

Have a great Friday everyone.

And the Snow Crab season just opened here

image.thumb.png.28ebc375fdd1ee9fe3fce5d1ba5638e5.png

Now, off to the Hot Tub that I spent most of the day getting ready for the season.

dp

Nice! I think crab is nature's most perfect food. We are having 2 of our 4 remaining Dungeness crab tomorrow night for dinner. I doubt if I will remember to take a photo. But we have to appreciate them while we have them. 😊 They ended crab season early because the Gray Whales are on the move again. And salmon season has been cancelled altogether. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Nice! I think crab is nature's most perfect food. We are having 2 of our 4 remaining Dungeness crab tomorrow night for dinner. I doubt if I will remember to take a photo. But we have to appreciate them while we have them. 😊 They ended crab season early because the Gray Whales are on the move again. And salmon season has been cancelled altogether. 

That happens here as well later in the season they have to close down fishing zones because of whale activity. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

You folks are a caring and fun group.  A lot like most of the folks we met on Odyssey.  

Interestingly, I also met some folks on Odyssey that I really enjoyed. We met one night in the Schooner Bar and we would all meet up there every night after.

I don't know what it was about that ship. It was a great cruise on a ship I was leary about booking in the first place.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Love this picture!!!!!

??????

Geoducks, pronounced gooee ducks. They are giant horse clams. As kids in WA, we used to always try and dig them up like regular clams. But they have a giant syphon and they are really fast, and very difficult to sneak up on, before they blast down through the sand. You're supposed to dig a parallel hole and then slide a flattened can or shovel underneath them. We were always unsuccessful. (Stock photo) 😀

Geoduck.jpg

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Finnley is getting so big, John!  She is so beautiful!  Millie's pretty, also!

On Easter Sunday, I almost tripped 4 times over our DD's Pug, Frankie.  She comes from behind, and before I know it, I'm catching myself before I go flying!

Finnley's last dr visit she was in the 98 percentile for height.  Also I was reminded we started babysitting in November,  not January. 

• Like 6

All this talk about crabs!  Funny thing…I don’t really like any shellfish (except shrimp) even though I grew up boating in the San Juan’s and on Hood Canal.  Crabs, oysters right off the beach, digging clams…

My wife loves crab…she’d rather have it than lobster.  Says the best crab she’s ever had was the Dungeness we’d catch.  She was eating them an hour after they were in the sea.

F08239D4-4EEA-424C-8049-FDBB316A96A0.thumb.jpeg.78cffd72516e491ee398d7c1c3d1bdd0.jpeg7CC3B1D3-F2EB-43D3-976E-A6B978FC969B.thumb.jpeg.22ce4ca344f98805eb1fd41ab8e7a166.jpeg

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

All this talk about crabs!  Funny thing…I don’t really like any shellfish (except shrimp) even though I grew up boating in the San Juan’s and on Hood Canal.  Crabs, oysters right off the beach, digging clams…

My wife loves crab…she’d rather have it than lobster.  Says the best crab she’s ever had was the Dungeness we’d catch.  She was eating them an hour after they were in the sea.

F08239D4-4EEA-424C-8049-FDBB316A96A0.thumb.jpeg.78cffd72516e491ee398d7c1c3d1bdd0.jpeg7CC3B1D3-F2EB-43D3-976E-A6B978FC969B.thumb.jpeg.22ce4ca344f98805eb1fd41ab8e7a166.jpeg

I totally agree with your wife! 😀 Alaskan King Crab is my favorite, but Dungeness are on par, or a very close second. We used to dig clams in Port Angeles and Mukilteo. Steamed clams are great too. 😊 (I haven't eaten dinner yet😋)

• Like 5

5 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I love those narrow wood slat fences.  Makes the beach seem so natural and windswept.

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

They are used to help stabilize the dunes and keep the sand from blowing around in the wind.

So funny how geography affects your perspective of things.... here in Michigan, they are called "snow fence" and they are used to keep the snow from drifting across the road.

Same purpose, different material.  

• Like 9

7 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I hope they enjoyed it and got to see Fiona and Fritz.  It's a great zoo.

Wow, I can't believe Fiona is five years old already.  A friend from Ohio had "adopted" Fiona, and my friend has since passed away.  Every time I see a reference to Fiona, it brings a smile to my face as I remember my sweet friend.  

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

They are used to help stabilize the dunes and keep the sand from blowing around in the wind.

One of our beaches are like that but they remove the fencing from May through October.

Screenshot_20230415_095738_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, it is unusually hot for April.   Here in PA we reached 90 yesterday and 88 today.   We have had our AC on since Tuesday night.   I don't remember ever turning on this early.

.... and I don't remember ever using the heating this late in April 😢

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, jagsfan said:

@helen haywood@bobmacliberty

Y’all may or may not be aware, but the Shrimp Festival is May 5-7 in downtown Fernandina. 
The best day is Saturday. The Palsce Saloon will be open for drinks; at least in the past, no alcohol on Sundays. Everybody will be there, so go early for parking. Every kind of seafood and everything else.

In the middle of Centre St are some really good artists; painters, sculptors, you name it.
Arts and crafts on side streets. 
Wear comfortable shoes and lightweight clothes. 
Wish I could still handle it, but I spent probably 40 years going every year. 

We are very much looking forward to Shrimp Fest this year.  Good music, great food, interesting booths lining the streets for blocks, and a nice small town feel (e.g. parades, costume contests, the Miss Shrimp Festival Pageant, etc.).  It was fairly crowded last year but we were told that attendance and artist booths last year were still below normal due to Covid.  This year should be the full deal.  Many locals around here hate that weekend and will go out of town just to avoid the crowds that swarm the island.  We haven't lived here long enough to reach that point.  

12 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

I can eat shrimp with the best of them.  Probably too far to drive...

I don't know how far you would be driving but if you ever think about coming, book a hotel room early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

Wow, I can't believe Fiona is five years old already.  A friend from Ohio had "adopted" Fiona, and my friend has since passed away.  Every time I see a reference to Fiona, it brings a smile to my face as I remember my sweet friend.  

Sorry to hear about your friend.  Fiona is no "little girl" anymore.  She was a big celebrity when she was born.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Happy Friday everyone  - having a drink in honor of my friend (and barber) who passed away yesterday way too soon.  Viewing was today.    About 2 years ago he went to ER with extreme headache pains and left being diagnosed with brain cancer and  maybe 1 year to live.  He fought for 2 years and got to take his wife and 3 kids to Disney and to the beach one last time.  45 years old.  Harsh reminder of how fragile life is.  Please join me in a toast to Matt.  Cheers!  🍻🍻

70A2C703-C1A3-4037-8C49-6AAD661B531E.thumb.jpeg.bd0dd33897fc466af69cd1d9f96bf2a2.jpeg

What a sad (and scary) story.  Life is often too short and too fragile, and now difficult for his wife and kids.  I didn't see your post until this morning but will raise a glass to your friend tonight.  Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1