Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I have a few turkey pictures that were taken in a cemetery but somehow it feels disrespectful to post even though it almost impossible to read names on the headstones. 

So instead,  swan pictures! 

Momma swan resting on her nest. I zoomed all the way in, I was nowhere near that close. 

20230425_182838.thumb.jpg.5f7ac583e594db02c621b98216f4b350.jpg

Mommy & Daddy swan? 

20230525_163506.thumb.jpg.d30364b5a4e2e9539b590fb204ab29b6.jpg

And a few weeks later, the family out for a swim

20230525_162817.thumb.jpg.14fa279316f58d0199b4453dbc898ea1.jpg

• Like 21

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

He has quite a few of the old time players in his Quarterback Corner.  I see his signed photo from Hines Ward found a place. 

IMG_7380.thumb.jpeg.1ed8ce243e7e9e5562f4d678f575a100.jpeg

I will have to let him know he should make sure he keeps those cards out of the sunlight.  I imagine a few of those are worth some $$$. 

Especially now that Lenny has passed away. I have several of his signed memorabilia but I’ll never sell them, too personal.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That is excellent that you both still connect by phone and are able to share and laugh about past and present events.

On a sad note, I lost my Bestie, Maureen, to breast cancer a few years ago.   I dearly miss her.  We met in kindergarten. 

We had the type of relationship where we could pick up the phone or see each other as if no time had lapsed between our meetings.   

Growing up in same neighborhood through high school we were known as the "kiddy hour" by some of the older boys because we were always giggling.   We giggled up till the day she passed.

I do not mean to turn your happy post into a sad one.   Just a thankful one for all the special people in our lives 💖

Debbie, you did not turn my happy post into a sad one.  There are people who live their whole lives without knowing the absolute joy of having had a bestie friend like Maureen.  Hold those wonderful memories of her close to your heart.  I think Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, said it best when she said, "Grief is the price we pay for love".

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I have a few turkey pictures that were taken in a cemetery but somehow it feels disrespectful to post even though it almost impossible to read names on the headstones. 

So instead,  swan pictures! 

Momma swan resting on her nest. I zoomed all the way in, I was nowhere near that close. 

20230425_182838.thumb.jpg.5f7ac583e594db02c621b98216f4b350.jpg

Mommy & Daddy swan? 

20230525_163506.thumb.jpg.d30364b5a4e2e9539b590fb204ab29b6.jpg

And a few weeks later, the family out for a swim

20230525_162817.thumb.jpg.14fa279316f58d0199b4453dbc898ea1.jpg

Just curious.  Were those pictures taken at Rockland Lake?  I used to walk around that lake, 3.2 miles, at least once a week, sometimes twice, in good weather.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Just curious.  Were those pictures taken at Rockland Lake?  I used to walk around that lake, 3.2 miles, at least once a week, sometimes twice, in good weather.  

You have a very good eye. Yes, it is Rockland Lake. I grew up about 10 minutes away and even though I have now moved to the other side of the Hudson River about 45 minutes away, I visit every couple of weeks. There is a small cemetery tucked away in the woods that not too many people know about. My wife, both of my parents and two of my brother-in-laws are buried there, scattered in various locations. Very quiet and serene.

The 3 mile walk around the lake afterwards is a good way to clear the mind.  As you know, it's just as beautiful as its' ever been.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, StanleyandGus said:

No turkey pictures, but here’s a sign from my hometown. The turkeys actually do cross there!

IMG_0016.jpeg

And they can READ!!!!🤣

I had a crossing sign in Princeton showing a picture of ducks with a big cross on it and saying NO duck crossing....... like they could read!😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

No turkey pictures, but here’s a sign from my hometown. The turkeys actually do cross there!

IMG_0016.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

And they can READ!!!!🤣

I had a crossing sign in Princeton showing a picture of ducks with a big cross on it and saying NO duck crossing....... like they could read!😁

Next time I'm in Rockland Lake park, I'll take a picture of the Turtle Crossing signs. Some are mounted down low, like knee level. As if its easier for the turtles to look up and read. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

20 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

TSOTD is Long Island Ducks baseball team in the Atlantic League.

The Manager is former MLB player Wally Blackman.Several of the players on the team played in the ML at one time.

TSOTD is NY Yankee #21  Paul O'Neil. My favorite player from the 1990s. 

Also wearing a NY Yankee jersey with #21 on the back. No name as the Yankees do not put names of players on the back of jerseys. You should know who they are just by the number (confession: I don't always know)

Also going to the game tonight. If @George C flight gets in early, see if you can score some last minute tickets & I'll treat you to a $18 beer. I'll be easy to find, I'll be wearing the Yankee #21 jersey. 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

My granddaughter who just returned from Israel was in my house this afternoon.She took 2000 pictures.When I went to someplace out of NY I took about 10 pictures.

Two interesting things to her in Israel we’re seeing more stray cats than anywhere she had ever been and a restaurant Brooklyn Pizza.

Whenever my children and grandchildren are in a different state or country they bring me back tee shirts as well as other gifts.Today I received a New York Mets but written in Hebrew,a newspaper from May 15,1948 the day that ISRAEL became a state a book of Jerusalem postcards.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

TSOTD is NY Yankee #21  Paul O'Neil. My favorite player from the 1990s. 

Also wearing a NY Yankee jersey with #21 on the back. No name as the Yankees do not put names of players on the back of jerseys. You should know who they are just by the number (confession: I don't always know)

Also going to the game tonight. If @George C flight gets in early, see if you can score some last minute tickets & I'll treat you to a $18 beer. I'll be easy to find, I'll be wearing the Yankee #21 jersey. 😁

I told you once that one of my son in laws (he has the dog who predicted the winner of Survivor) works with the son of a a Rangers immortal.He also works with the daughter of a Yankee Great who is in the HOF.It is not Paul O’Neill but my next house neighbor who is a huge Yankees fan also wears a Paul O’Neill jersey when he goes to Yankee Stadium.

• Like 1

Good morning.  Thought I’d let you you know that I am doing a review of my cruise.  

Please skip the boring waffle of my first 2 pages related to Carnival and basic info.

but from post #30 onwards I will be detailing the four ports I visited with photos, so thought you might be interested in reading these specific posts.

@Ocean Boy might specifically enjoy my first port as I go to Phare Amedee (Lighthouse Island) 😀

*can’t do links but in the Carnival forum “Review - Sydney to South Pacific on Splendor”

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Good morning.  Thought I’d let you you know that I am doing a review of my cruise.  

Please skip the boring waffle of my first 2 pages related to Carnival and basic info.

but from post #30 onwards I will be detailing the four ports I visited with photos, so thought you might be interested in reading these specific posts.

@Ocean Boy might specifically enjoy my first port as I go to Phare Amedee (Lighthouse Island) 😀

My granddaughter who may be spending her junior year of college in either Australia or the UK may be going to Australia next year for 8 weeks to study at a university.The students are chosen based on the grades they receive.She will find out in January if she will be doing this .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My granddaughter who may be spending her junior year of college in either Australia or the UK may be going to Australia next year for 8 weeks to study at a university.The students are chosen based on the grades they receive.She will find out in January if she will be doing this .

You’ll have to give us an update in January.  I hope she is chosen.  Will be a honour and great experience for her, whether UK or AUS.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

You have a very good eye. Yes, it is Rockland Lake. I grew up about 10 minutes away and even though I have now moved to the other side of the Hudson River about 45 minutes away, I visit every couple of weeks. There is a small cemetery tucked away in the woods that not too many people know about. My wife, both of my parents and two of my brother-in-laws are buried there, scattered in various locations. Very quiet and serene.

The 3 mile walk around the lake afterwards is a good way to clear the mind.  As you know, it's just as beautiful as its' ever been.

I loved living in Rockland County, first in Tappan and then New City.  So "country" yet so close to Manhattan the "big city".

57 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Two interesting things to her in Israel we’re seeing more stray cats than anywhere she had ever been and a restaurant Brooklyn Pizza.

Whenever my children and grandchildren are in a different state or country they bring me back tee shirts as well as other gifts.Today I received a New York Mets but written in Hebrew,a newspaper from May 15,1948 the day that ISRAEL became a state a book of Jerusalem postcards.

It was tradition for almost every teen who went on either Israel Year Course, USY Israel pilgrimage, etc., to stop by Richie's Pizza in Jerusalem for NY style pizza and to add a note to the bulletin board.  My nephew still has his Richie's Pizza t-shirt from his trip to Israel many, many years ago.  I believe it closed in 1990.  By the time my daughter went on USY Pilgrimage, it was already closed.

We have an Israeli cafe in Richardson with a t-shirt hanging on the wall with "The Mavericks" displayed on the front of the shirt in Hebrew.  Thank you, Mark Cuban, owner of the Mavs, who personally handed that t-shirt to the owner when he stopped by one day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I loved living in Rockland County, first in Tappan and then New City.  So "country" yet so close to Manhattan the "big city".

It was tradition for almost every teen who went on either Israel Year Course, USY Israel pilgrimage, etc., to stop by Richie's Pizza in Jerusalem for NY style pizza and to add a note to the bulletin board.  My nephew still has his Richie's Pizza t-shirt from his trip to Israel many, many years ago.  I believe it closed in 1990.  By the time my daughter went on USY Pilgrimage, it was already closed.

We have an Israeli cafe in Richardson with a t-shirt hanging on the wall with "The Mavericks" displayed on the front of the shirt in Hebrew.  Thank you, Mark Cuban, owner of the Mavs, who personally handed that t-shirt to the owner when he stopped by one day.

Mark Cuban graduated from the college that my granddaughter attends.She saw him on campus one day ,walked over to him,introduced herself and asked if she can get a picture with him.I have that picture in my phone.He had a nice conversation with her asking what she is thinking of majoring .She told him that she had not decided.Then they began discussing basketball.She told him that she was on her HS Basketball team but wanted to concentrate on her studies rather than try out for the college team.My granddaughter became very good friends with a player on the college team who lives in Israel.Her friend was in my house May 6 in between flights going home.They spent time in Israel last week.

• Like 5

I once told my grandkids that the summer after I graduated HS I had a summer job working in a NYC Department Store,40 hours for $35.00 a week.During the summer my best friends mother got me a job working 40 hours a week for $59.00.

My granddaughter just got her very first office job which will be 3 days a week,6 hours a day for $288.00.

• Like 2

The turkey posts reminded me of a "situation" we had at our place probably 15 years ago.  

The father of my child (FOMC) had gone turkey hunting with a buddy of his, and was finally successful in shooting one on a Saturday morning.  He cleaned/butchered it on our back deck, which is the "ground level" of the main floor of the house. The house has a walkout basement, and in addition to the upper deck by the garage and kitchen, there is also a concrete patio on the lower level of the backyard.  

Anyway, the next morning after the turkey murder, the FOMC had gone off to Home Depot or some such place early in the morning, and returned an hour or so later.  As I'm a night owl, I was still sleeping when he returned.  The FOMC came into the bedroom and woke me up to ask if Dave (his hunting buddy) had been by while he'd been gone. 

Given that I'd been asleep when he left and was still asleep when he returned, I had no freaking clue if his buddy had been by (I didn't even know that he had gone to the store)!  And Dave lived about 45 minutes away, and Dave was a regular church-goer, so it was highly unlikely that he would have driven to our house at 8am on a Sunday morning.  The FOMC was blathering on about a turkey, and in my just-woken-up-and-not-a-morning-person state of mind, I had no idea what the heck he was talking about.

So it seems that in the hour between when the FOMC left for the store and when he returned, a wild turkey dropped dead on our concrete patio in the back yard.  The FOMC thought maybe it was put there by his buddy Dave, as some sort of a weird joke, but that wasn't the case.  We've now lived in that house for over two decades, and we have NEVER EVER seen wild turkeys anywhere in the neighborhood -- plenty of deer, possums, skunks, bunnies, squirrels, chipmunks, etc., but NEVER a turkey.... but one just randomly up and died on our back patio the day after the FOMC butchered a turkey on our back deck.

The FOMC was paranoid for a while after that.... thought that the Turkey Mafia was sending him a message or something for having offed one of their own!  🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 18

57 minutes ago, brillohead said:

The turkey posts reminded me of a "situation" we had at our place probably 15 years ago.  

The father of my child (FOMC) had gone turkey hunting with a buddy of his, and was finally successful in shooting one on a Saturday morning.  He cleaned/butchered it on our back deck, which is the "ground level" of the main floor of the house. The house has a walkout basement, and in addition to the upper deck by the garage and kitchen, there is also a concrete patio on the lower level of the backyard.  

Anyway, the next morning after the turkey murder, the FOMC had gone off to Home Depot or some such place early in the morning, and returned an hour or so later.  As I'm a night owl, I was still sleeping when he returned.  The FOMC came into the bedroom and woke me up to ask if Dave (his hunting buddy) had been by while he'd been gone. 

Given that I'd been asleep when he left and was still asleep when he returned, I had no freaking clue if his buddy had been by (I didn't even know that he had gone to the store)!  And Dave lived about 45 minutes away, and Dave was a regular church-goer, so it was highly unlikely that he would have driven to our house at 8am on a Sunday morning.  The FOMC was blathering on about a turkey, and in my just-woken-up-and-not-a-morning-person state of mind, I had no idea what the heck he was talking about.

So it seems that in the hour between when the FOMC left for the store and when he returned, a wild turkey dropped dead on our concrete patio in the back yard.  The FOMC thought maybe it was put there by his buddy Dave, as some sort of a weird joke, but that wasn't the case.  We've now lived in that house for over two decades, and we have NEVER EVER seen wild turkeys anywhere in the neighborhood -- plenty of deer, possums, skunks, bunnies, squirrels, chipmunks, etc., but NEVER a turkey.... but one just randomly up and died on our back patio the day after the FOMC butchered a turkey on our back deck.

The FOMC was paranoid for a while after that.... thought that the Turkey Mafia was sending him a message or something for having offed one of their own!  🤣

That's too funny! Turkey hunting used to be a big thing when I was growing up. The hunters would go out early in morning with their stealth, and their camouflage and face paint and turkey callers. 🤣

And now you can pretty much hit one with your car (if you wanted to) ..even if you drive very slowly through the massive flock that is blocking the road. ☺️They are quite adapted to residential neighborhoods. No hunters, just cars to watch out for. 😀Oh yeah. They don't understand car horns either. <Just a noise. Bob, did you hear that?> You have to put the window down and yell at them. Which sometimes elicits a response. 

Timmy Thanksgiving.JPG

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 12

3 minutes ago, Coralc said:

That's too funny! Turkey hunting used to be a big thing when I was growing up. The hunters would go out early in morning with their stealth, and their camouflage and face paint and turkey callers. 🤣

And now you can pretty much hit one with your car (if you wanted to) ..even if you drive very slowly through the massive flock that is blocking the road. ☺️They are quite adapted to residential neighborhoods. No hunters, just cars to watch out for. 😀

Timmy Thanksgiving.JPG

There was one walking DOWNTOWN a couple months ago -- I met my son and his GF for breakfast one morning, and a turkey was walking around on the sidewalk and looking in all the store windows.  

But I still have never seen one in our neighborhood, other than the one that kamikazed himself on our patio!  

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, brillohead said:

There was one walking DOWNTOWN a couple months ago -- I met my son and his GF for breakfast one morning, and a turkey was walking around on the sidewalk and looking in all the store windows.  

But I still have never seen one in our neighborhood, other than the one that kamikazed himself on our patio!  

Just Wait! There will be more. No one hunts them downtown and all of those residential gardens have good things to eat. The local population has exploded in the last 30 years. ☺️