Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

We just spent a couple of hours in the cruise planner for Australia. These were things I could not find independently to be offered or Royal has a monopoly on them meaning you can’t book them except through the cruise line.  They were a little on sale, maybe 10% off what I’d seen before. Our Great Barrier Reef trip has increased another $60 pp so glad we booked that one already.  If you can find them independently they are a lot less, sometimes half, for the same thing so Royal is really banking on some of these.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Prices are ridiculous, especially for places we have been too many times!

I got a great price for our grand suite in November on harmony, plus a really good price for UDP just 250 each , we are diamond plus so with 5 free drinks and suite happy hour don’t need drink package. Some sails are really sails most are not , I definitely think cruises out of Galveston are a little cheaper normally, plus airfare is way cheaper.

• Like 3

@Jimbo  I received an e-mail today from a friend I met on a Mediterranean cruise . She returned this past Friday from a cruise that visited Greenland and Iceland.  She commented that Greenland was enjoyable, unique and lovely . She’ll try to get photos to me and if she does I’ll forward them to you with her permission.  She used to live in Alaska and it reminded her of the small coastal villages back there.  She did say the temps were on the cool side. 

As for the Norwegian fjords, we spent a week in Kiruna , Sweden , then took the train to Narvik , Norway where we boarded a working boat that delivered supplies and mail down the coast . It docked for 15 minutes, and no more, or else see ya , except in Trondheim where we were offered an excursion.  Our final “ port “ was Bergen where we boarded a train to Stockholm .  Lovely scenery but a primitive boat.  

• Like 6

On 8/28/2023 at 11:18 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

What are current interest rates for a home in your area?   

Last I heard our rates are around 7.50% and expect to be 8% by October for a standard 30 yr mortgage.

I bought a condo when I was 20 yrs old and The rate was 10%.  Eric's is 7 yrs older than me and his first home was 16%.

I think current 3 year fixed is between 5 and 6% compared to 1 or 2 % a few years ago. 

I got my first morgage when I was in my mid 20s and similar to Eric it was about 15%. 

But of course houses very vastly cheaper then. 

My tiny one bedded house with a postage sized garden was £23500 and the second home I bought, a little two bedded terrace house three years later, was £36,000

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, NHProud said:

@Jimbo  I received an e-mail today from a friend I met on a Mediterranean cruise . She returned this past Friday from a cruise that visited Greenland and Iceland.  She commented that Greenland was enjoyable, unique and lovely . She’ll try to get photos to me and if she does I’ll forward them to you with her permission.  She used to live in Alaska and it reminded her of the small coastal villages back there.  She did say the temps were on the cool side. 

As for the Norwegian fjords, we spent a week in Kiruna , Sweden , then took the train to Narvik , Norway where we boarded a working boat that delivered supplies and mail down the coast . It docked for 15 minutes, and no more, or else see ya , except in Trondheim where we were offered an excursion.  Our final “ port “ was Bergen where we boarded a train to Stockholm .  Lovely scenery but a primitive boat.  

Interesting information, I know it's going to be cool/cold for sure. We can pack a lot since we are taking a train to Newark/Bayonne from Virginia. So really no luggage restrictions.

The weather is not going to upset us, it is what it is, we are just happy to get back on a cruise ship.

Few questions about your Norway/Sweden vacation. How did you get to Kiruna, is there an Airport near by or what? I have read about people who hitch a ride on those working ships/boats, just how much does that cost? Any pictures you care to share of the boat you were on and the conditions of the cabin and food you had on one of those working boats/ship?

Wasn't that like a 15 or 16 hour train ride from Bergen to Stockholm wasn't it?

On 8/29/2023 at 2:08 AM, singinalot said:

Im actually in NYC right now! nate’s at home battening down the hatches. Unfortunately our house is in the direct path on the coastline in New Port Richey. I was supposed to fly home Wednesday but the airport is now closed until Thursday so I rescheduled my flight and extended my hotel.

Fingers crossed everything is good for you. I wasn't even aware there was a storm brewing until someone on our cruise roll call mentioned it. We fly to Tampa on the 9th, hopefully 🙏 

It's now getting talked about in our on line papers over here

• Like 4

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have a deck 9 center aft coming up this fall, we will see if we like that.  We booked at final payment, so were lucky to even get an aft cabin at all.

Ours is a center aft 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Interesting information, I know it's going to be cool/cold for sure. We can pack a lot since we are taking a train to Newark/Bayonne from Virginia. So really no luggage restrictions.

The weather is not going to upset us, it is what it is, we are just happy to get back on a cruise ship.

Few questions about your Norway/Sweden vacation. How did you get to Kiruna, is there an Airport near by or what? I have read about people who hitch a ride on those working ships/boats, just how much does that cost? Any pictures you care to share of the boat you were on and the conditions of the cabin and food you had on one of those working boats/ship?

Wasn't that like a 15 or 16 hour train ride from Bergen to Stockholm wasn't it?

We flew to Kiruna from Stockholm .  The Kiruna stay was business related . It never got dark and we ate venison twice a day for a week . I don’t like venison . My husband made all the arrangements and he doesn’t remember what he paid for the trip. The cabin was an inside cabin , the shower didn’t have a pan so the bathroom flooded every time we took a shower. The food was buffet style .  The main attraction was the scenery. There were other passengers on board including Americans.  We found out about this voyage from somebody at the meeting. The ship’s  journey started near the Russian border and it was an 11 day boat ride to Bergen . Bergen to Stockholm by train was at least 13 hrs . The scenery was just beautiful with cascading waterfalls. 

It wasn’t bad just basic . 

To all in the hurricane’s path be safe . 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Paulines friend is going to Orlando in a few weeks and hiring a car.

Can any of our friends advise if you still pay Cash at the road Tolls or is it all done online?

Rental cars are equipped with the necessary  devices to handle tolls, and the charges should show up in your invoice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mo&fran said:

Rental cars are equipped with the necessary  devices to handle tolls, and the charges should show up in your invoice. 

Thank you so much I will pass the information on to Pauline to tell her friend.

I hope you are feeling a lot better.

Graham.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you so much I will pass the information on to Pauline to tell her friend.

I hope you are feeling a lot better.

Graham.

I am are still dealing with issue with swallowing food. We did receive a delivery of food for my peg tube last night, so I feel better having the option of receiving nutrition when I cannot swallow.  Good news is that my health insurance is paying for the food.   

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I am are still dealing with issue with swallowing food. We did receive a delivery of food for my peg tube last night, so I feel better having the option of receiving nutrition when I cannot swallow.  Good news is that my health insurance is paying for the food.   

Sending you our Prayers 🙏 and good wishes.

Graham and Pauline x

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Showing Clearwater Beach on the weather channel. Showing huge waves.

Water level is still waist deep ,some places  as high as 6ft high with storm surge.

@singinalot Your living area of your house is on stilts right? Did Nate turn the pool off,if sand and debri  come up into pool,you don't want that stuff running through your filter.

Hopefully Nate sends you some day light pictures soon.

I bet it's very hard for you to be in NYC not in Florida with Nate as he rides this out with the pups.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, singinalot said:

pics from home…water has crept over some of the docks. worry is for the next high tide/surge. IMG_7717.thumb.jpeg.837c6083fbc73c3acc6ceb197000fba0.jpeg

IMG_7718.thumb.jpeg.0c6067c3e9b04ec89cb7810781fe9802.jpeg

IMG_7727.thumb.jpeg.9bff686f59ca13d56e352d5d639be10f.jpeg

IMG_7719.jpeg

Where do people put their boats?  Do they take them out and move them to higher ground?  I saw photos of some larger ones that are tied to their docks.  Probably more difficult to move those or sail them out of the storm path.

Hoping the water doesn’t rise too high. 

• Like 3

On 8/28/2023 at 6:29 AM, ReneeFLL said:

We are live coming to you from Amsterdam. Sorry, but Helen, Marty, Mike and I are sitting in the theater for turn around. Will keep y'all updated. 😁

Not sure if anyone got the joke, but there's no way I could keep up with a live review.

Here are the numbers for this cruise, but they didn't say what the total was for the ship.

20230830_103451.thumb.jpg.e2652b35324547af0337e0f0de5644ce.jpg

• Like 6