Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 hours ago, h20skibum said:

We began our northward trek yesterday, which made for som interesting driving.  The rain stayed west of us for the part of the drive from central Florida, until we got to I-26.  It was heavy rain and high winds until we got north of Charlotte. Lots of crashes around that area.  It made for an interesting drive.

Today, we will get to see a mix of rain and snow on our last 400 miles.

Safe travels home.

My youngest was supposed to fly home from Disney last night.  By 1pm yesterday her 5 pm flight was already delayed 2 hours.  JetBlue was allowing changes with no fees so she jumped on that and rebooked for 5pm tonight.  It was definitely the right decision because there were tornado warnings for central FL and we had torrential rain and high winds here.  It also helped that her sisters are still there so she had a place to bunk.  
According to the local news, we received over 5 inches of rain!  

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

How was it last night?   I hope everything is okay.    We were in the path of a squal that lasted for about 1 hr with wind gusts close to 60 mph and had over 3 inches of rain.   

Waiting for sun to rise to see what our yard looks like.

Still have a light rain and winds around 20 mph

Here it is sunny and 47 degrees but the wind is at 20mph.No flooding ,no visible damage.My Occupational Therapist was here early this morning.

We are at the extreme northern end of the development and she did not see any damage .

Last week my son in law who lives near us took all our terrace furniture and put everything in our garage and he did the same with some of our deck furniture.

Hopefully your yard is okay.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are supposed to get up to 60 today and tomorrow so I’m heading out to do errands. By Sunday the big freeze comes and it looks like we won’t be above freezing for several days in a row.  This is a big deal down here.  Homes aren’t built with this in mind and pipes freezing is a real concern.  We’ll keep faucets dripping and hope our power stays on.  We lost 2 palm trees last time but didn’t have any burst pipes although we were without water for about 24 hours. We didn’t lose power but of course many others did with dire consequences. 

In 2006 I toured a new development in Houston that was advertised as being Hurricane proof .It did not survive the next one.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Only a matter of time.  I get a chuckle out if those who comment trying to use logic.  

I pity the posters who is unaware of her past history & tries to engage in a serious debate. But eventually, they get the idea. It's like watching your children grow up. 🙃

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are supposed to get up to 60 today and tomorrow so I’m heading out to do errands. By Sunday the big freeze comes and it looks like we won’t be above freezing for several days in a row.  This is a big deal down here.  Homes aren’t built with this in mind and pipes freezing is a real concern.  We’ll keep faucets dripping and hope our power stays on.  We lost 2 palm trees last time but didn’t have any burst pipes although we were without water for about 24 hours. We didn’t lose power but of course many others did with dire consequences. 

I share your weather anxiety.  Hopefully, our normal weather (50s-60s) will return soon.  I worry about ice storms which can cripple the entire DFW metroplex.  Stay safe, warm and dry.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, George C said:

Speaking of hockey we went on a cruise over 30 years ago , turns out it was a hockey cruise with lots of players, none of which I knew , I was playing Caribbean poker I told the guy next to me he should ante the extra 50 cents or a dollar to get a chance to win 20k (if royal flush) another guy at the table said you would have a better chance of scoring a hundred goals next year than getting that , following hand I had 4 of a kind and won several hundred. Dominick Hasek was one of the players on the cruise, when my sister in law was in the hospital with cancer he visited and she was told he regularly goes there to cheer up patients 

17 hours ago, HBE4 said:

"The Dominator", one of the best goaltenders,  is a legend in Buffalo. Although the Sabres never won a championship, he helped a good but not great team be very competitive & dangerous. It seemed like he won the Vezina Trophy (given to the best goaltender) every year during the 1990's. Holds the record for most saves in a game without allowing a goal.  The guy was fun to watch, flip flopping like a fish out of water. His body must've been made out of rubber.

Although he spend the majority of his career in Buffalo, he eventually ended up on the Detroit Red Wings where he won a few Stanley Cups.

He was known for his charity work & visiting hospitals.  You & your SIL were in the presence of hockey greatness.

17 hours ago, George C said:

Around 1979 I did a cruise with another hockey hall of famer Phil Esposito, I met many celebrities over the years on cruises he was extremely friendly talking with everyone, I also have a picture of my wife with Doug Flutie on a princess cruise out of Brooklyn.

Speaking of interactions with famous hockey players... My wife came home and asks me... "Who is Tim Hunter" I said "he is a goon who plays for the Canucks. He gets in a lot of fights. Why do you ask?"  She was shopping at a store called Zellers. (Zellers is gone now but was kind of like a Canadian version of Walmart before Walmart came to Canada). She was in the check out line and the cashier asked for an autograph of the man in the line in front of her. The cashier identified him as Tim Hunter.  They chatted briefly as they both walked back to their respective cars. He was very friendly with my wife. She said.. "Man, that's got to be the ugliest man I have ever met but he was really really sweet" LOL

My favorite NHL'r I ever met was Dave "Tiger" Williams.  The guy was hilarious, could drink like a fish and the most down to earth guy you would ever meet. 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Congratulations to Owen!!

I remember how exciting it was to get my driver's license.   

And how exciting but worrisome when our boys got their licenses.   

Four of our grandchildren have thier license(s).

Number 5 will have his by the end of May. I worry as #3 and #4 drive back to College in their cars during the Winter months.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Speaking of interactions with famous hockey players... My wife came home and asks me... "Who is Tim Hunter" I said "he is a goon who plays for the Canucks. He gets in a lot of fights. Why do you ask?"  She was shopping at a store called Zellers. (Zellers is gone now but was kind of like a Canadian version of Walmart before Walmart came to Canada). She was in the check out line and the cashier asked for an autograph of the man in the line in front of her. The cashier identified him as Tim Hunter.  They chatted briefly as they both walked back to their respective cars. He was very friendly with my wife. She said.. "Man, that's got to be the ugliest man I have ever met but he was really really sweet" LOL

My favorite NHL'r I ever met was Dave "Tiger" Williams.  The guy was hilarious, could drink like a fish and the most down to earth guy you would ever meet. 

Hockey players are more blue collar type in general and a few decades ago didn’t make lots of money, on my hockey cruise they were staggering out of Carlos and Charlie’s . My buddy owned a upscale Italian restaurant for decades that was byob a couple of Dallas Stars used to go there and they reserved the entire restaurant after winning a playoff round a long time ago , Chef was amazed when one of the players carried up a full keg of beer , place was on the second floor . 

• Like 3

All I can say is it is cold here.  

We made it home yesterday.  The drive was a mix of snow and rain for half the drive.  Pretty uneventful, but we did see this guy who effectively blocked the SB lanes of I-77

IMG_0578.thumb.jpeg.3f0f68997b8dff3c8715c1902804d400.jpeg

Laundry done, and everything is put away. Still lots of things on our agenda today. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

We made it home yesterday.  The drive was a mix of snow and rain for half the drive.  Pretty uneventful, but we did see this guy who effectively blocked the SB lanes of I-77

Laundry done, and everything is put away. Still lots of things on our agenda today. 

Looks like he was trying to turn from the North bound lane to the Southbound lanes  rather then just taking an exit and turning around that way, What a dummy!!

Looks like he is going to take that sign to the left of him out to with his trailer swings around, who knows how many more accidents he caused when making people in those southbound lanes slow up really fast ?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 4:56 AM, h20skibum said:

We began our northward trek yesterday, which made for som interesting driving.  The rain stayed west of us for the part of the drive from central Florida, until we got to I-26.  It was heavy rain and high winds until we got north of Charlotte. Lots of crashes around that area.  It made for an interesting drive.

Today, we will get to see a mix of rain and snow on our last 400 miles.

Drive safe. I look forward to hearing more about your future adventures. Miss Daryl!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Ughh!!  As a person who drives down that stretch of I77 all the time from MI to NC I would be so pissed sitting in that backed up traffic!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

44 years ago today, I met my wife on a blind date.  204 days later, we were married.  Maybe we will go celebrate tonight.

Happy Anniversary wishes to Mark and Susan. Cheers to 44 years and many more to come.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Looks like he was trying to turn from the North bound lane to the Southbound lanes  rather then just taking an exit and turning around that way, What a dummy!!

Looks like he is going to take that sign to the left of him out to with his trailer swings around, who knows how many more accidents he caused when making people in those southbound lanes slow up really fast ?

Yeah, he was stuck there.  Wheels were spinning, and traffic was backing up toward the tunnel.

• Like 1