Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Badically a smoother version than popcorn. They stray then use a throw to smooth the texture out.

IMG_4296.thumb.png.69d478e72080599e5b7aefb99d629f04.png

I am glad OB asked and you responded.  I just assumed that “knockdown” meant that the houses were demolished because the new owners didn’t like the ceilings (knockdown and rebuild is very common occurrence in Sydney).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

RIP Bella.

Condolences to John and Laura.  The fond memories will be with you forever.

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

As of 2 hours ago, Bella is no longer suffering. I'm typing this with tears in my eyes.

Thank you both for posting this here. I had not been over on the FOB thread in a long time & had no idea what was happening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

That explains why John left the WC suddenly.  Her loss is going to hit them both very  hard.  Bella was such a beautiful dog. She will be very much missed by cc members too.  Condolences to John & Laura. 

Yes, that was why John left the cruise to go home.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I am glad OB asked and you responded.  I just assumed that “knockdown” meant that the houses were demolished because the new owners didn’t like the ceilings (knockdown and rebuild is very common occurrence in Sydney).

I thought the same thing at first as well.   I thought it was a bit extreme to knock down a house just because you don't like the texture of the ceiling.  Maybe they meant knocking down the walls and/or ceiling?

I now know that it's a special knife/trowel called a knockdown knife used to create the texture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't mind athletes in college, even if they are only a student in name.  If you want to play professional football or basketball, you have to go through college.  This is the path to a future for some of these kids, even if that future is not academically related.  The schools make a LOT of money from those 2 sports, especially the big-name schools.  That money funds scholarships for other athletes in smaller sports who ARE good students, don't have a pro sports option after graduation, and might not otherwise be able to afford college.  Combined with Title IX, this gives opportunities to a lot of girls who might not have been able to attend college.  At Kentucky, profits from sports were used to build a brand new academic building which benefits all students. 

I understand the thought that "student athletes" who are paid to attend a school just to play a sport are overly privileged, but I think it's quite a bit more complicated than that. 

Edit: I'll also add that sports are a fun part of the college experience for those who don't play sports.  It's a nice relief from the pressures of school and helps generate school pride.  Without sports, there wouldn't be student managers, marching bands, cheerleaders and dance teams, etc.  I'll get off my soap box now.  🙂

Perhaps basketball and football should have a Minor League set up like they have in baseball.

I went to a college that was Div.3 and to two other colleges that did not have sports teams.Education was stressed.Having said that I have been following the activities of the Div.1 university that my granddaughter attends and I enjoy watching the bands 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@Momof3gurlz Glad to give you some insights.

Friends of ours found this condo complex,Ocean Village,when they retired in 2009. They bought a unit in 2010 and invited us to use it when I retired in 2011. We liked the complex very much, and rented in 2012. We then bought a unit after that stay. We renovated our unit and basically flipped it,selling in 2014. We realized that,for us, it was better to rent then own.

In subsequent years, we rented through the RE agency in the complex or through VRBO. Most units require a month stay during the high season- Jan. through April.Ocean Village (OV) is a gated community which has a 9 hole golf course, ocean beach waterfront,a library,several pools,bocce and tennis courts with shuffleboard and basketball courts,and a community center for various activities with a fitness center on premises.One caveat is that there are plans for reconstructing the large swimming pool and surrounding area with completion slated for 2025.Work has not begun,yet.

You could check out the complex by Googling Ocean Village,Ft Pierce,FL

We also rented two times in Island Beach Resort, Jensen Beach. It is a smaller property offering a swimming pool and ocean beach waterfront. There is a restaurant attached,Shuckers.

You can rent directly on their web site,and it may be possible to rent there for a few weeks rather than a month. Google Island Beach Resort,Jensen Beach FL.

You could also look at other complexes by looking at VRBO. We are familiar with Vero Beach, Ft Pierce,Jensen Beach,Stuart and Singer Island. The properties we have researched are all on the ocean. Obviously, we like to be on a beach as we find it relaxing for a vacation spot.

As for when to rent- if you are thinking of Winter,2025,I would suggest that you start looking now. People were looking for rentals for next Winter at OV by the end of March. We decided this past December that we wanted to stay for March at OV. By this time, condo offerings were sparse. The condo we were able to rent had everything we needed and everything (appliances ,TV,Wfi etc ) worked well, but the decor was very dark - heavy gold velour drapes in the bedroom,for example- that did not reflect the tropical FL atmosphere of the grounds. We thought it was a good thing that we had sunshine for almost all of the days,as being in that condo on a rainy day would be dismal !

As I noted in my previous post, the rent and fees gave us sticker shock. In the past (13 years ago ) I recall the monthly rent and fees to be between $2,000 and $3,000.

This Winter,we paid $7000 with a refundable security deposit of $500. But, most travel costs have skyrocketed in the past few years.

I hope you find this info helpful. If you have any further questions, please post them to me.

MJ👩🏻

This is very helpful, thank you! I’ll look into both locations. The prices are about what I expected; we figured $7-8K for a month.  Considering that nicer resort hotels we’ve stayed at were around $600-700 per night, it doesn’t seem so bad 🤪!  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Thank you both for posting this here. I had not been over on the FOB thread in a long time & had no idea what was happening.

I also had no idea , I heard everyone talking about Bella cruises , didn’t even know Bella was a dog . As a fellow animal lover I offer my condolences.

• Like 4

I’ve been feeling emotional today.  First we have Bella crossing over the rainbow bridge, then totally unrelated, the Red Sox Home Opening Day ceremony.  They paid a 20 year tribute to the 2004 team that “reversed the curse”.  They also honored Tim Wakefield who passed away last fall from brain cancer at 57 and his wife Stacy who died only 5 months later from pancreatic cancer.  Most of the 2004 players came onto the field, accompanying the Wakefield’s son and daughter, who through out the first pitch.  Such composure from a 17 and 19 year old who recently lost both parents. It was very touching and there weren’t many dry eyes anywhere on the field. 

• Like 22

29 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I’ve been feeling emotional today.  First we have Bella crossing over the rainbow bridge, then totally unrelated, the Red Sox Home Opening Day ceremony.  They paid a 20 year tribute to the 2004 team that “reversed the curse”.  They also honored Tim Wakefield who passed away last fall from brain cancer at 57 and his wife Stacy who died only 5 months later from pancreatic cancer.  Most of the 2004 players came onto the field, accompanying the Wakefield’s son and daughter, who through out the first pitch.  Such composure from a 17 and 19 year old who recently lost both parents. It was very touching and there weren’t many dry eyes anywhere on the field. 

I also watched the opening day ceremonies.  They did a wonderful job with American Pie and all the highlights of the season and the Wakefields and Larry Lucchino.  Even the choice of "You'll Be in My Heart" as the walk out song was perfect.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Did anyone see the series Fleabag that was on TV from 2013-2019;?

I was on a Zoom this afternoon with Actor Brett Gelman who spoke about his being in that show .

It’s one of several shows that’s on my must watch list that I simply haven’t found the time to actually watch…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

As of 2 hours ago, Bella is no longer suffering. I'm typing this with tears in my eyes.

😪😪😪

May Bella RIP.  She will be dearly missed by all.   💞

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

It’s one of several shows that’s on my must watch list that I simply haven’t found the time to actually watch…

It is now on my list.Unfortunately I have too much time to watch.

• Like 1

We knew this day would come.

Precious memories to last a lifetime.

I'll smile thinking of that sweet girl.  Oh, that Bella head tilt!

I posted this on that faces site:

Thank you for bringing Bella into our hearts.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

@StanleyandGus Sorry to continue a bit, but I was wracking my brain trying to remember the testing laboratory that I used without purchasing anything in advance. It was Western Analytics. All online, no kits or mailers needed. : https://www.asbestostesting.com/index.html   Taking the sample, Ziplock bag, fill out the form, pay online. 

This is a good article, too: https://thecraftsmanblog.com/popcorn-ceilings-what-you-need-to-know/ 

And anything to take my mind off packing. 😄

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

RIP Bella.

Condolences to John and Laura.  The fond memories will be with you forever.

I have just found out and posted on Bella's thread.

We loved Bella and are devastated to hear Laura's news.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

No.  He only arrived in Canada in November.  Fortunately, his mum has a medical background and has family friends in Canada where he can recouperate once he is out of hospital.

@Luckynana  will hear more today.

Sending my best wishes.

• Thanks 1

@MJSailors your condo complex land vacay sounds lovely.  I can relate to the  skyrocketing price of holiday rentals.  Every year, DH says he won’t book a holiday house again for next year but he always does…I don’t know what his upper limit will be.  I honestly thought we had already exceeded it.  Maybe I will find out when he eventually retires

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a happy day.

Same to you and Pauline😊

We had a perfect day yesterday with temp of 78f.  Today to be 75f with some clouds.  I think Spring is finally here!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Jack and I can't get into our RCI app. We're getting msg.  "Sorry, we hit a snag. We're unable to complete your request, so please try again later"  Anyone else having issues?

We booked a 5 night cruise and will be 6 points away from Diamond upon completion.  Never thought we would get this close.

• Like 9