Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Tonight we went out to dinner for the first time since May 12.  I’ve been in the wheelchair since then and was reluctant to go…. Good thing we started small…with our local favorite Mexican restaurant.  There are two handicapped spaces in front; they were taken.  I’d never paid attention to where the handicapped ramp was before…why would I?  Sigh.  If you can’t park in front of the restaurant then you need to park in the grocery store lot next door and use their ramp to get up on the sidewalk.  Luckily the staff were as friendly and accommodating as possible and we enjoyed our dinner.

I have such a new understanding of what being mobility challenged means to everyday life.

Want to make sure I give Nurse Minnie her credit as well as Diana.

IMG_6047.jpeg

• Like 25

23 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

+ 2 💐 Bethany  @TravelGirlinDallas

***************************************************************************************

@sgmn

Sue, I don't want to "interfere" with @twangster 's thread, so here's our day in Cobh (Cork) --

The train station to Cork is right at the pier. We took the train into Cork, walked to the English Market, had time to browse at Marks & Spencer (which you still have in UK 😉), coffee break, and then took the bus to Kinsale. Wandered about this small and quaint place for less than an hour, took the bus back to Cork, and the train to the pier. Had still time to walk to the Cathedral there and took our sweet time to re-board the ship.

Sounds great Dani, (I was in our mega M&S near us only two  days ago).  Still  finalising our plans,  but as our first time thinking of just staying in  Cobh as there's so  much to do right there. Its a great DIY port

• Like 1

14 hours ago, George C said:

. About midnight my wife got a tip of her finger caught on our hotel door , so we spent next 6 hours in Bellevue hospital lots of blood. Currently sitting in LaGuardia our plane is delayed again.

Oh no, hope your wife isn't in any pain and she's now comfortably at home.  Sad end to a lovely weekend 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Thanks everyone! I had a great birthday on Saturday. Even better that it coincided with a holiday weekend. I went to a salon and had my hair professionally colored for the first time, after hiding my grays unevenly with box color done at home for over a year. Wow, what a difference. I was just too cheap before, but I think this is one expense that’s going to be worth it.

My family was so sweet all day, Brian ordered a Bundt cake and Andrew even drew me a card (at age 13). We went out to dinner and then watched YouTube tours of Celebrity Beyond in anticipation of our July cruise. I’m not thrilled to be 51 and the changes happening on my face, but I’m thankful for my peeps and our life together.

Happy Birthday. Sounds like a lovely day spent with the family. Best birthdays ever

• Like 1

Yesterday we had a lovely day out just for the price of an ice cream!

We went to Runnymede,  home of the Magna Carta signed 800 years ago to limit the power of the king and to give more power to the ordinary people  (hence our place of government is called ',House of Commons').

Long walk along the Thames and through the flower meadow,  up to the JFK memorial and the acre of land that is American soil, given  by Queen  Elizabeth when JF Kennedy was  killed.

Further walking  uphill took us to  The Royal Airforce memorial to the 20,000 men  and women from the commonwealth Airforces who are without graves. It overlooks Heathrow and London 

Lots of interesting boards about the Magna carta and how it influenced a lot of countries constitutions

If anyone gets the chance , maybe before catching a flight home, its worth stopping there for a couple of hours,  just outside Windsor

There are also riverboat trips from Runnymede into Windsor,  returning a few hours later 

Zoom in to see Heathrow and  London on the horizon

20240527_125838.thumb.jpg.71a5ce3a9b8514017eddc5e13c699a40.jpg

close up

20240527_130019.thumb.jpg.fa92d961fa16f63d535bafe46c243ab8.jpg

JFK memorial 

20240527_123917.thumb.jpg.791a4bbfbb5bfb0ee51d74e9cb8efa12.jpg

20240527_124625.thumb.jpg.b21e3dd51d9dceac7a9586e0ced6e9a1.jpg

the Air Forces Memorial to Commonwealth aviators

20240527_134943.thumb.jpg.bd807f80d3f53a8a31194277fa7cf467.jpg

20240527_134734.thumb.jpg.8fb08fb4f8558c8e863118a85c13f2b2.jpg

This corridor shows just the 1944 and 1945 deaths, names engraved on  the pillars 

20240527_135438.thumb.jpg.854704ef8d306290d3a1bf0200013bc6.jpg

Some of the art instillation in the flower meadow 

20240527_144801.thumb.jpg.93a23936cc98cee0887ceb6c32e7453b.jpg

20240527_145133.thumb.jpg.4ab81bbe14df2c8b70446cfc41e8ceae.jpg

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Here’s the red velvet Bundt Brian surprised me with:

IMG_6946.thumb.jpeg.c4e181e1289f2bc37d65cca52036c29a.jpeg

That looks like a cake from Nothing Bundt Cakes.   That is where we got our mini cakes.  Our granddaughter had the red velvet cake.  I had the carrot cake one.   We also had confetti, chocolate chocolate chip, lemon blueberry, and white chocolate raspberry.

We really like their cakes.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

Oh no, hope your wife isn't in any pain and she's now comfortably at home.  Sad end to a lovely weekend 

Unfortunately she has some pain we were close to going to an emergency care  , she wanted her bandage changed. Her best friend and her husband picked us up a little after 9 pm , her friend was able to change the bandage. We were going to get a rent a car but friend is off next few days and will drive us around (same as last year) . Thanks everyone for well wishes for Shelagh. 

• Like 18

So much news after being away from Dani’s post for a few days!

Sending healing wishes to @George C wife-Bellevue must have been interesting as well as LGA.

Hoping your Buffalo visit is calm and relaxing.

@jagsfanMimi-hoping you heal and strengthen soon so that you will be able to get home.

@helen haywoodGood that you felt up to going out for dinner-healing progress for sure!

@dani negreanu Very sad news that

the turbulence has resumed.

Hoping that you and your family and friends remain safe and that a peaceful resolution can be found.

Yesterday, we went to two celebrations.

One was a dear friend’s 50th birthday. Both his mother and I agreed that 50seemed good to us!

Always good to celebrate a birthday regardless of age!

The other was a gathering of friends close to home-we walked down our street to the hosts’ house.

Just as the bbq meats were cooked, a thunderstorm let out a deluge of rain. Perfect timing

Wishing all who post here a pleasant day. It is Tuesday, but feels like a Monday-but we are retired , so not much difference!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

@h20skibum So happy your daughter made it to 40. Her appreciation for aging must be different than most. Happiest of birthdays to her!

12 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

As delicious as the food looks, those last two sentences say it all.  I hope the same for your family.

@h20skibum

Mark + 3 💐 🥂

11 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Tonight we went out to dinner for the first time since May 12.  

Want to make sure I give Nurse Minnie her credit as well as Diana.

@helen haywood

Marian, glad you've enjoyed your evening "out" and that your faithful nurses, Minnie & Diana, are good at their "day job" 😉

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

Sounds great Dani, (I was in our mega M&S near us only two  days ago). 

We had M&S in Israel for only a short period. I like their product. Being on the short size, I really appreciate that I can find trousers exactly for my height, without bothering to pay for corrections...

And thank you for the history lesson.

Hopefully, we'll have the opportunity to visit. We both like England!!

• Like 8

@George C I know you live just down the road from me... do y'all have power? We do not. The storm last night was the worst I have experienced in years. We have several limbs down in our yard/alley, but miraculously no damage from the hail and 80 mph winds. I got ready for work using the Shark Tank solar-charged lantern that I got Brian for Christmas. Very happy about that purchase!

I'm at the office now, where we do have power, but there's no estimate on the electric provider's website about when the power at home will be restored. Oddly, our neighbors across the street never lost theirs. Maddening.

How about all of the other DFW people? Everybody OK?

Edited by TravelGirlinDallas
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We have several limbs down in our yard/alley, but miraculously no damage from the hail and 80 mph winds

Those storms were really bad. We just had leaves and little branches down. We are surrounded by hills behind us that protect us. But other houses in our area had lots of big branches torn off. I am glad you had no severe damage.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

@George C I know you live just down the road from me... do y'all have power? We do not. The storm last night was the worst I have experienced in years. We have several limbs down in our yard/alley, but miraculously no damage from the hail and 80 mph winds. I got ready for work using the Shark Tank solar-charged lantern that I got Brian for Christmas. Very happy about that purchase!

I'm at the office now, where we do have power, but there's no estimate on the electric provider's website about when the power at home will be restored. Oddly, our neighbors across the street never lost theirs. Maddening.

We are in Buffalo, my wife’s office opened late in Dallas because of storms very unusual. Hopefully no damage to our house. 

1 minute ago, George C said:

We are in Buffalo, my wife’s office opened late in Dallas because of storms very unusual. Hopefully no damage to our house. 

I knew you were traveling, but I thought you had just returned. Safe travels and hope your house is OK. Hopefully, all the power will be restored when you get back!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Glad you didn't get much damage.  When we were home owners, it was always a fear. Since we're now in an apt. building and haven't gone out, not sure about surrounding damage.   There is some water damage near our elevator extending down some feet in the hallway.  Very powerful rain and wind.  Plants brought in from our balcony and the American flags affixed on the railing are flapping like crazy.  Lull in the rain now with more to come later in the day.

BTW, I am getting double pages on this thread again.  Same posts on 4904 and 4905.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Finally getting our Tiki patio done. Just installed our tiki lights installed. We soon should be ready for entertaining.

IMG_4536.mov 59.18 MB · 19 downloads  

Your Tiki patio looks awesome!  

I remember going to Hawaii Kai restaurant in NYC in the 60s-70s.  It had that Tiki vibe.  You would have loved it.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Your Tiki patio looks awesome!  

I remember going to Hawaii Kai restaurant in NYC in the 60s-70s.  It had that Tiki vibe.  You would have loved it.

I'm sure I would. I miss all the Trader Vics restaurants that used to be everywhere.

46 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yea, an mov file!😑

Sorry buddy,

26 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Here you go OB.  Don't want you to feel left out.  There's an easy fix for this. 😁

Thanks for doing that Bob!

• Like 2