Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

The tomatoes are ripening.   The ones that were on the deck were eaten by a squirrel so Sharon moved the grow bags to the garden. Here are some from the other plants. 

20240602_181248.thumb.jpg.859143f1a974c25a1007b2c85ed61f94.jpg

• Like 19

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm a worrier perhaps?  Like a lot of these mattress places are online. If they delivered it downstairs idk I could get a full mattress up 8 floors to my place. I keep thinking thru this move I wish right now I was married and have a 2nd set of hands. And then add in the guy who has to pad the one working elevator. What bad luck the day I arrived 1 of the 2 elevators was removed to just a hole in the ground. Wait until the movers find out a large 8 story high rise only has one slow working elevator. No guesses when it will be replaced, but when its replaced, then the one woeking elevator will be replaced so this will go on for a while. 

I need to find a place that delivers all the way to my bedroom! I sure was stupid and or naive when planning this move. My house sale is currently set for by ju e 15.. my buyer called sunday to tell me the next door neighbors tree fell and smashed the fence between us. I said the contract clearly says AS IS. Your problem, go talk to the next door neighbor yoursel. It's his tree. My broker in dallas just emailed and said the weather is still bad and another storm, which isnt helping get my stuff transferred to a bigger truck and on it's way.

I guess I'm naive but truly I am surprised that a moving coordinator cant tell me where the truck with my stuff is. This 24 to 48 hours notice is baloney to me. I've moved across town but never had movers move me across the country. Too late to do it differently. Clearly I'm not smart how I did this move. Should have thrown out a lot of stuff,not paid whatever the price is. When he was figuring the extra cost he kept quoting me things like 60 cents a cubic foot. Not dollars. I kept saying so how much is that extra in dollars... over $1500??!! Omg. He kept wanting to tell me cubic feet and I wanted dollars. Well nothing else I can do except shop lol. Spectrum done, so now I'm free until the truck comes. 

Shower and then ill google furniture stores. 

I saw above a suggestion for measuring room sizes. To me they all look huge. I brought a flashlight but not my measuring thing... and I have several.,movers have all that. Cheap to buy another I know.  I've seen both a lowes and a home depot between me and publix. I've had huge old historic houses, but these 2 are my first condos. And much newer and huge closets.. im so loving these big closets and so many. 

Shopping isnt the worst thing to have left to do. Didnt occur to me to pack more clothes. All is good here.

Padding the elevator is something that happens a lot in high rise buildings and takes all of two minutes, if that, for them to do.  It just protects the elevator from scratches.  I would make sure you read your bylaws about other requirements for movers, so you know before they get there.  I know absolutely no furniture is allowed through the front door of my Mom's building, even if it is a chair I am bringing to her.  All furniture and movers must come through the garage under the building.  People that live on the first floor aren't even allowed for their stuff to come through the front door, it has to come through the garage and up the elevator.  Anyone caught gets written up and fined.  Movers are only allowed during certain hours too as the buildings have noise ordinances.

As far as a getting a bed, that will save you a lot of money in hotel costs.  I would just go to a few different mattress stores and listen to their sales pitches and lay on a bunch of beds.  Try a Sleep Number store and see if that appeals to you but then go look at traditional mattresses, foam, hybrids, etc.  The whole process can be overwhelming because things are so different these days.  Some like the Purple mattresses that you can get online that come all squished but I just don't see how those will hold up.  We bought a mattress last year and looked at adjustable bases but they weren't for us.  We are looking at a new mattress for my Mom and we are absolutely considering an adjustable base for her.  No harm in looking and if you find one you like, even better.  I know one place we looked at delivered to the door but where we bought from removed old bedding and delivered and installed, for a cost of course.  Your bylaws might define what sized mattress fits in the elevator or ask neighbors, they will know.  Local, smaller stores will likely have delivered to the building too.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I feel the same except it is flamingos for me.   I bought 2 small and one full size plastic flamingoes to put in my flower bed out front.

Eric then told me that is another swingers sign.

I googled and sure enough he was right.

Who knew?

Debbie, this is the first I'm hearing about flamingos!  We have one near our fireplace, one in our 3 season room, and we used to have a whole flock of plastic ones along the pool fence!

15 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Anyhow, he enjoyed a little fishing. 

And, I encouraged some law breaking. 

IMG_1257.thumb.jpeg.b95c871aab4f69f2ca78e3f061600d14.jpeg

Well, he is just a few months shy of being old enough to operate on his own.  I will probably get him to do the boat safety course this fall, so he will be ready to go next summer. 

Your grandchildren are so adorable, Mark!  All 3 of them!  (There are 3, correct?)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I feel the same except it is flamingos for me.   I bought 2 small and one full size plastic flamingoes to put in my flower bed out front.

Eric then told me that is another swingers sign.

I googled and sure enough he was right.

So for now I put them in flower bed in backyard.

Who knew?

Well, I was thinking of getting some Daryl magnets made for our doors, when we take the grandkids on the cruise this summer.  

Now I am wondering it those may have an unintended meaning?

• Haha 9

29 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Your grandchildren are so adorable, Mark!  All 3 of them!  (There are 3, correct?)

That’s right, three.   By this time next week, we will be in California to see the other one and bring him here for the summer. 

• Like 8

Not too embarrassing, but still....Jim and I went to our Voting place and I was giving my name, when our daughter, (I didn't realize it was our daughter, who was bending down writing her name) said, "Oh, hi, mom!"  I didn't look up right away and said "Hi, Mel!"  She said "it's Jude! " So, even a mother of identical twins can make a mistake or two when it comes to our daughters....🤔.

• Like 2
  • Haha 16

19 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Well, I was thinking of getting some Daryl magnets made for our doors, when we take the grandkids on the cruise this summer.  

One never knows these days....🙅‍♀️

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm a worrier perhaps?  Like a lot of these mattress places are online. If they delivered it downstairs idk I could get a full mattress up 8 floors to my place. I keep thinking thru this move I wish right now I was married and have a 2nd set of hands. And then add in the guy who has to pad the one working elevator. What bad luck the day I arrived 1 of the 2 elevators was removed to just a hole in the ground. Wait until the movers find out a large 8 story high rise only has one slow working elevator. No guesses when it will be replaced, but when its replaced, then the one woeking elevator will be replaced so this will go on for a while. 

I need to find a place that delivers all the way to my bedroom! I sure was stupid and or naive when planning this move. My house sale is currently set for by ju e 15.. my buyer called sunday to tell me the next door neighbors tree fell and smashed the fence between us. I said the contract clearly says AS IS. Your problem, go talk to the next door neighbor yoursel. It's his tree. My broker in dallas just emailed and said the weather is still bad and another storm, which isnt helping get my stuff transferred to a bigger truck and on it's way.

I guess I'm naive but truly I am surprised that a moving coordinator cant tell me where the truck with my stuff is. This 24 to 48 hours notice is baloney to me. I've moved across town but never had movers move me across the country. Too late to do it differently. Clearly I'm not smart how I did this move. Should have thrown out a lot of stuff,not paid whatever the price is. When he was figuring the extra cost he kept quoting me things like 60 cents a cubic foot. Not dollars. I kept saying so how much is that extra in dollars... over $1500??!! Omg. He kept wanting to tell me cubic feet and I wanted dollars. Well nothing else I can do except shop lol. Spectrum done, so now I'm free until the truck comes. 

Shower and then ill google furniture stores. 

I saw above a suggestion for measuring room sizes. To me they all look huge. I brought a flashlight but not my measuring thing... and I have several.,movers have all that. Cheap to buy another I know.  I've seen both a lowes and a home depot between me and publix. I've had huge old historic houses, but these 2 are my first condos. And much newer and huge closets.. im so loving these big closets and so many. 

Shopping isnt the worst thing to have left to do. Didnt occur to me to pack more clothes. All is good here.

I wouldn't worry about the movers, although @reallyitsmema makes an excellent point about checking your condo requirements for movers.  Movers often have difficult situations to deal with and I'm sure elevators are a part of what they do.  We live on a long street with many overhanging branches from Live Oak trees.  We're all the way at the end on a cul de sac with an island in the middle.  We didn't think that a large 18 wheeler could make it to our house and there was no way it would be able to turn around if it did.  I said as much to the moving company and they said, "no problem.  We'll get the big truck as close to your house as possible and if necessary, use a small truck to shuttle stuff between the big truck and your house".  That seemed like a lot of extra work but is par for the course for them.  They didn't actually have to do that for us because they could back the big 18 wheeler all the way down the street, without damaging any trees, and unload from right in front of our house.  In any case, I'd be ready with maybe $20 per person to tip the movers.

I also completely agree with measuring your rooms.  When our house was empty, I drew a rough floor plan of every room.  I noted dimensions for all walls, doors, windows, outlets, light switches, etc.  They were all in a notebook that my wife kept with a lot of decorating ideas, paint swatches, etc.  Many times, we used the dimensions from the floor plan to check if a piece of furniture would fit before buying it from the store.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

😂That’s the problem!  it seems like everything has some alternate meaning now!  Be careful out there folks it’s a wild wild world.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Padding the elevator is something that happens a lot in high rise buildings and takes all of two minutes, if that, for them to do.  It just protects the elevator from scratches.  I would make sure you read your bylaws about other requirements for movers, so you know before they get there.  I know absolutely no furniture is allowed through the front door of my Mom's building, even if it is a chair I am bringing to her.  All furniture and movers must come through the garage under the building.  People that live on the first floor aren't even allowed for their stuff to come through the front door, it has to come through the garage and up the elevator.  Anyone caught gets written up and fined.  Movers are only allowed during certain hours too as the buildings have noise ordinances.

As far as a getting a bed, that will save you a lot of money in hotel costs.  I would just go to a few different mattress stores and listen to their sales pitches and lay on a bunch of beds.  Try a Sleep Number store and see if that appeals to you but then go look at traditional mattresses, foam, hybrids, etc.  The whole process can be overwhelming because things are so different these days.  Some like the Purple mattresses that you can get online that come all squished but I just don't see how those will hold up.  We bought a mattress last year and looked at adjustable bases but they weren't for us.  We are looking at a new mattress for my Mom and we are absolutely considering an adjustable base for her.  No harm in looking and if you find one you like, even better.  I know one place we looked at delivered to the door but where we bought from removed old bedding and delivered and installed, for a cost of course.  Your bylaws might define what sized mattress fits in the elevator or ask neighbors, they will know.  Local, smaller stores will likely have delivered to the building too.

Lol that's pretty much exactly what I did. Well one store, and liked what they have.

There is only 1 working elevator. The movers will want a big tip and if I was them I wouldnt be happy but it is what itmis.

I think the 12th business day is next Wednesday so they should be there no latter than then.

I stopped at a mattress store that sells everything. Beds they can deliver today even but I already paid for 3 nights starting tonight. The refund thing requires 24 hours notice so I just said bring it Friday. I bought  saucepan, there is no built in microwave but a sauce pan can warm up anything for a couple of days. 

In fact I bought 2 beds the same mattress. The one for me I got what he says is walnut. My triple dresser is actually mahogany and looks like a close enough match to me. And got a remote for mine that raises the feet and head to watch tv in bed. And bedding and pillows and all that other stuff. Too bad I already paid for 3 more  nights,  I'd been doing 1 or 2 nights, this time I guess I was depressed how long and booked 3 more nights, so il, just stay until friday and the salesman said he will bring up both beds and set them up. The 2nd bed he said he would throw in a wooden bed frame black or white he had there in stock. 

I cant wait for my new bed. He has living room furniture but I'm at a loss looking at a bunch of catalogues what to get. Several pieces, how to arrange them, pictures I cant picture what I want, comfortable. I'm excited to have a new bed. I picked nice and soft. I like a soft bed, softer than what rcl has. Idk if I needed the motor or not and the cherry headboard was also extra. 

Just driving by and saw the sign and pulled in and really liked their beds. Wish I'd thought of it sooner, but sometimes things happen when they should. All my kitchen stuff is on the  moving truck, so I bought a sauce pan. I got chicken tenders at publix thenother day, gives me something  to warm them up in on the stove and get by a few days if the truck is still delayed. Yipee. I cant wait for new beds. I left a phone message for ray, the guy I'm supposed to tell to pad the elevator. Just my bad luck they started to take apart the elevators just last Wednesday.  I just checked back in here same hotel, 3rd check. 2 days, 2 days, now 3 days until friday. I still wouldnt have furniture except the beach chair in the picture above.

Bob's bed he wrote about sounded perfect. So I got the whole works. I dont know if i really want a remote controlled bed, but why not. Saw what i liked and said YES. 

Tbh I'll probably toss out my sofa and chair they moved. I want something that looks classier. That was supposed to be temporary while i was there taking care of my parents, not meant forever. I want this place to look classier. The cherry looks dark to me, very close to the color of my triple dresser. I really think it's too late to get a hotel refund, so I just said being it friday and I'll, leave the hotel that  morning.. he said probably between noon and 2 pm. I can eat out a lot too, I wouldnt starve if my kitchen stuff takes a few extra days but by my count by next week Wednesday that's 12 business days. Finally something really good happened. My realtor and Bob above were smart to plan a bed ahead of time. But i wouldn't have known to call a certain person 24 hours ahead to pad the elevator. I cant say I shopped around, just liked what I saw. Finally something really good. 

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

😂That’s the problem!  it seems like everything has some alternate meaning now!  Be careful out there folks it’s a wild wild world.  😉

I was on harmony and someone decorated for xmas. Someone changed them to swastikas for last xmas. I'm a bit leery of door magnets. Kids steal them. Someone on my oct roll call wants to organise size a gift exchange and just leave a gift at someones door. I am a no, leaving a gift when you dont even know when they will be around seems like a bad idea. Meet somewhere, not leave them at doors whenever. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

That’s right, three.   By this time next week, we will be in California to see the other one and bring him here for the summer. 

Yay!! Let the Summer fun begin!🥰

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol that's pretty much exactly what I did. Well one store, and liked what they have.

There is only 1 working elevator. The movers will want a big tip and if I was them I wouldnt be happy but it is what itmis.

I think the 12th business day is next Wednesday so they should be there no latter than then.

I stopped at a mattress store that sells everything. Beds they can deliver today even but I already paid for 3 nights starting tonight. The refund thing requires 24 hours notice so I just said bring it Friday. I bought  saucepan, there is no built in microwave but a sauce pan can warm up anything for a couple of days. 

In fact I bought 2 beds the same mattress. The one for me I got what he says is walnut. My triple dresser is actually mahogany and looks like a close enough match to me. And got a remote for mine that raises the feet and head to watch tv in bed. And bedding and pillows and all that other stuff. Too bad I already paid for 3 more  nights,  I'd been doing 1 or 2 nights, this time I guess I was depressed how long and booked 3 more nights, so il, just stay until friday and the salesman said he will bring up both beds and set them up. The 2nd bed he said he would throw in a wooden bed frame black or white he had there in stock. 

I cant wait for my new bed. He has living room furniture but I'm at a loss looking at a bunch of catalogues what to get. Several pieces, how to arrange them, pictures I cant picture what I want, comfortable. I'm excited to have a new bed. I picked nice and soft. I like a soft bed, softer than what rcl has. Idk if I needed the motor or not and the cherry headboard was also extra. 

Just driving by and saw the sign and pulled in and really liked their beds. Wish I'd thought of it sooner, but sometimes things happen when they should. All my kitchen stuff is on the  moving truck, so I bought a sauce pan. I got chicken tenders at publix thenother day, gives me something  to warm them up in on the stove and get by a few days if the truck is still delayed. Yipee. I cant wait for new beds. I left a phone message for ray, the guy I'm supposed to tell to pad the elevator. Just my bad luck they started to take apart the elevators just last Wednesday.  I just checked back in here same hotel, 3rd check. 2 days, 2 days, now 3 days until friday. I still wouldnt have furniture except the beach chair in the picture above.

Bob's bed he wrote about sounded perfect. So I got the whole works. I dont know if i really want a remote controlled bed, but why not. Saw what i liked and said YES. 

Tbh I'll probably toss out my sofa and chair they moved. I want something that looks classier. That was supposed to be temporary while i was there taking care of my parents, not meant forever. I want this place to look classier. The cherry looks dark to me, very close to the color of my triple dresser. I really think it's too late to get a hotel refund, so I just said being it friday and I'll, leave the hotel that  morning.. he said probably between noon and 2 pm. I can eat out a lot too, I wouldnt starve if my kitchen stuff takes a few extra days but by my count by next week Wednesday that's 12 business days. Finally something really good happened. My realtor and Bob above were smart to plan a bed ahead of time. But i wouldn't have known to call a certain person 24 hours ahead to pad the elevator. I cant say I shopped around, just liked what I saw. Finally something really good. 

That's a good start!  Do you have sheets and stuff with you?  I know you will use one of your quilts but maybe some nice new sheets for the new bed would be nice.  A walk through Walmart for sheets and some laundry soap, if you don't have any with you, might be a good idea for tomorrow.  They have patio furniture and other furniture there too that could give you some design ideas and some lower end prices.  I know we priced out some gorgeous teak furniture for our deck and it ended up costing more than what we had paid to have the deck rebuilt! 😲 I ended up spray painting my existing table and getting new chairs at BJ's. 😄 

• Like 4

We took our grandson to Dick’s House of Sport this morning.  That place is huge.  Spent some time in the batting simulator.  

IMG_1259.thumb.jpeg.c8abe5e561bd3c1aa13a8c136ed26dc9.jpeg

Then, he picked out a new glove.  You don’t want to know how much these are. 

IMG_1266.thumb.jpeg.90d37193e91b1406ac3aa5cd5dfdbd0c.jpeg

And, of course, there is always room for Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. 

IMG_1261.thumb.jpeg.56a44d0c9acf5f31154153d767082a67.jpeg

• Like 18

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

That's a good start!  Do you have sheets and stuff with you?  I know you will use one of your quilts but maybe some nice new sheets for the new bed would be nice.  A walk through Walmart for sheets and some laundry soap, if you don't have any with you, might be a good idea for tomorrow.  They have patio furniture and other furniture there too that could give you some design ideas and some lower end prices.  I know we priced out some gorgeous teak furniture for our deck and it ended up costing more than what we had paid to have the deck rebuilt! 😲 I ended up spray painting my existing table and getting new chairs at BJ's. 😄 

Well I do have pillows and a quilt with me, but he is also including everything. I picked out 2 sets of beige sheets, 2 queen size pillows, 2 mattress covers. Idk what all but a whole pkg. 

He also sells living room furniture but I dont think I can do a big set in there. One side are those glass windows out to the balcony, opposite side is a wet bar right where a armchair could be. He said he will send his guys to look but a love seat on the other wall couldnt see the tv. His sister works at rooma to go so I went down there just to look at styles. The problem with them is they woukdnt pick up the sofa and matching chair I am having shipped. I did plan on replacing it, but the living room to me because of the sliders on one side and wet bar on the other side, I dont know but need to think about it. He said his guys will measure and maybe have a good idea. Rooms to go will not pick up what I am having shipped so that's a problem. I dont want 2 sofas in there. This guy where I bought the beds said his guys will pick up my old sofa immshippijg and the matching chair. Its comfortable but time to replace with something that looks better.

But he is giving me mattress pads, and sheets and big pillows, idk but he had to help me carry it all out to the car. The refund for this hotel doesnt sound worth bothering about so I said let's just do this move on friday. And his guys will look at the living room. I dont see a way to put a 2nd loveseat where it can see rhe tv, though I guess I should get 2 matching pieces for company. The living room shape is hard, between the sliders to the balcony and the stupid wet bar. His guys will measure.

• Like 9

@firefly333 Sounds like you did really well.  Once you decide if you want to keep the sofa coming from Texas or not, there will be ways for you to get rid of it if you need to.  There could be an online group for your building that people post stuff to sell or give away for free.  We have found that the maintenance guy in my Mom's building has lots of contacts and can make stuff disappear very quickly.  Some stuff he will take because he knows someone who wants it, other times he has disposed of furniture for little money.  We don't care if he is selling what he takes, as long as he takes it.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Our youngest grandchild, William, was inducted into the Junior National Honor Society.

Congratulations to William.  That is a great achievement. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

As you can see, I'm still not great at posting pictures.  I didn't realize I posted 2of the same pictures.🧐

It is because you are twice proud of him.  Quite the achievement.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Congratulations to William.  That is a great achievement. 

Thank you, Mark!😊

4 minutes ago, Keksie said:

It is because you are twice proud of him.  Quite the achievement.

Thank you Karen;  I love that!🥰

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1