Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Back home now after my cataract surgery.

The consultant said everything went well.

Vision is a little hazy but otherwise I'm delighted it is done.

Graham.

Good to hear you are back home already and the surgery went well!  🙂 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Today’s port is St Thomas. Took a taxi to Magens Bay. Beautiful water and scenery with nice sand on the beach and in the water. We took a taxi (no excursion). Got here early enough to rent a couple of chairs and find a spot in the shade of a tree. The beauty of the place slowly deteriorated as other passengers started showing up, jostling for position on the beach, and then yelling at each other in the water while pounding beer. Guess they don’t know how much their voices carry over water. With various excursions that drop people here for a couple of hours, there was a fairly constant stream of people dragging their rental beach chairs up and down the beach. Sigh. Wonder how bad the crowds get with multiple full ships in port. 

298D7BE0-F00E-4D55-B84F-A525CABD9330.thumb.jpeg.5dc9accad52fd6a33263ca36ebaef22b.jpeg

0CC389CF-6AD5-415D-BBB4-033FF98AA332.thumb.jpeg.37babfef3ce8f1f7374486248633f823.jpeg

36C68054-5108-4A98-B568-0316FEA7E62B.thumb.jpeg.70a189fb08fbfd06542ed88baa3222ae.jpeg

47E7CC71-FF77-45B6-8B44-4121C9CCBFF7.thumb.jpeg.d45a82aeec9f4aaceffacb93624a9020.jpeg

Beautiful beach photos!  🙂  Looked like a perfect day!

We do the same thing.  Hire a taxi, go out early, enjoy the beach until the mid morning crowds show up.  Then time to leave.  Most times get back to the empty ship for a lovely late lunch.  🙂 

We are not much on the "tour group" excursions...unless it is a very small group.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, George C said:

Have not been to Magens bay in decades this would interfere with my wife’s shopping. The one beach I miss is trunks bay in St. John . My next two cruises will also visit St Thomas. Our July cruise was first time a cruise ship docked in over a year.

20 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Love Megan's Bay. We were lucky the time we went it wasn't crowded. I know what you mean about voices carrying. Nothing kills a great beach chill day than a bunch of loud drunk people.

A story we can all relate too. One time when we sailed on Adventure, there was this newly wed couple. The guy had this really loud obnoxious voice that sounded like Gilbert Gottfried. We were at this beach and he kept talking to his new wife in this really loud voice about everything. He wouldn't shut up. She would be on the beach and he in the water yelling his conversation to her. She looked over to us and apologized he was so loud. Comes out they ended up sitting next to us at diner the next .

8 minutes ago, island lady said:

Beautiful beach photos!  🙂  Looked like a perfect day!

We do the same thing.  Hire a taxi, go out early, enjoy the beach until the mid morning crowds show up.  Then time to leave.  Most times get back to the empty ship for a lovely late lunch.  🙂 

We are not much on the "tour group" excursions...unless it is a very small group.  

That might be our first and last visit to Magens Bay. It was a perfectly fine, beautiful, Caribbean beach. We just prefer going to Dinghy’s on Honeymoon beach when in St Thomas. It’s a short water taxi ride there from Crown Bay. Free chairs/umbrellas with purchase of food/drinks, which we happily buy. We also typically rent snorkel gear. The only issue there is that party boats will drop 100+ people there for an hour as part of the excursion.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Great news ,Graham,but perhaps you should not be on line till your vision is not hazy.

Thanks Lenny.

I am keeping the op eye closed and only using my previous strong eye.

The distance reading through the haze is perfect on the op eye.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

She is getting there.  She has supervised time exploring the house.  So far the older cats are ignoring her along with the English Bulldog.  My poodle mix wants to play but we make sure he is gentle.  Right now she is sound asleep in one of my chairs.

She is just ADORABLE! 🥰

• Like 3

17 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just a small break during hurricane season, from water to land.  I like his last RV Doodles where he ate the 72oz steak in Texas.  I mean, he tried to eat. 😀

Was it at the ‘Big Texan’ in Amarillo?  I’ve been there and had one of their steaks but I didn’t attempt the 72oz challenge. Surprisingly good restaurant. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Welcome home from your procedure Graham.  I can envision your regime of drops and the timers on your phone after helping my mom and MIL. Hope things are going as smooth as possible. 

I am reading your Alaska cruise review. Love Owen's pictures'....he looks so little compared to the latest ones you post. Awww ( I know I know that was 2018!!!!)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Was it at the ‘Big Texan’ in Amarillo?  I’ve been there and had one of their steaks but I didn’t attempt the 72oz challenge. Surprisingly good restaurant. 

That’s the place. Amazingly enough the 72oz steak looked very tasty.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I am reading your Alaska cruise review. Love Owen's pictures'....he looks so little compared to the latest ones you post. Awww ( I know I know that was 2018!!!!)

A few years make a big difference from that review to today. 

He’s in this photo somewhere. Football tryouts continue today and development ice at 8-10 tonight. Hockey try outs start tomorrow and thankfully he has a PA day from school tomorrow. 

38823091-67A6-4683-B7B1-5930EADA0ABF.thumb.jpeg.0bd19ec7a32e66d5da938dfe032c1f2a.jpeg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Mosquitoes get bad here too.  Hard to sit on the deck as the sun is going down but I think we found a solution!  We finally found a constructor to replace our deck.  We are going to replace the old one with composite decking to reduce maintenance.  He is also going to add a new section that we will screen in, We will extend the original deck and leave it open.  He is supposed to show up this morning to finalize the plans,

It’s been a while since I been out in the kayak.  Might be a nice day to go crappie fishing,

Our daughter and son-in-law did that. Close to the house is covered, with a swinging day bed and high top table and seating. The remote opens and closes the screen. The rest of the deck is open, with a fire table, couch and a bunch of really comfortably padded swivel chairs. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Looks like he will be quite busy with fall sports. Good luck to Owen this year.

Kids are much more into sports than when I was a kid.My 17 year old grand daughter is co-captain of her HS tennis team.She is also on the school basketball team and plays on a travel soccer team.My 13 year old grand daughter is on her school basketball team and on the soccer team and plays in a league soccer team.They are both honor students.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@Luckynana    I hope everything went well today with your procedure.🥰

Thank you so much, Debbie.  I don't have to go back for another 5 years!  I had to go back yesterday after only 3 years, so I'll take the 5!  Thank you again❤️

22 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Same here, Maryann 🌺

Thank you, Dani!❤️Beautiful pictures of your grandsons , and great place to stay for the Wedding.  Did I mention how much I love olives??

22 hours ago, grapau27 said:

+1.

Thank you, Graham!❤️  BTW, you and Pauline sure pick great entrees when you dine!  I hope all went well with your cataract operation today.

22 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

+2

Thank you, Marietta!❤️

22 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Me too, Maryann!

Thank you, Bonnie!❤️   I so appreciate you all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jimbo..Your new swing compliments the rocking chairs on your beautiful porch.  We miss not having a porch where we now live.  

@bobmackliberty Loving all the pictures, as well as following you on your cruise!  I'll be on the Allure in April.😊

4 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you so much, Debbie.  I don't have to go back for another 5 years!  I had to go back yesterday after only 3 years, so I'll take the 5!  Thank you again❤️

Thank you, Dani!❤️Beautiful pictures of your grandsons , and great place to stay for the Wedding.  Did I mention how much I love olives??

Thank you, Graham!❤️  BTW, you and Pauline sure pick great entrees when you dine!  I hope all went well with your cataract operation today.

Thank you, Marietta!❤️

That is great news 😀

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

That’s the place. Amazingly enough the 72oz steak looked very tasty.  

I spent two weeks there in May 2019.  I think I went to the restaurant 4 times.  The steaks are really quite good.  They offer a local limousine service.  If you are within a certain radius, you make a reservation and book a ride in the limo and they'll pick you up and drop you off in one of these great big stretch limo's with bull horns on them. No cost, just tips.

261217847_ScreenShot2021-09-23at2_04_42PM.thumb.png.7e2fad8c4bd5a0113861bff4f22fcc74.png

The limo driver told me that about 1 in 10 who attempt the 72ox challenge actually succeed.  The grand champion is a woman who is a slight 120 lbs and she devoured 3 steaks in 20 minutes... including sides.  I didn't believe him but looked it up and sure enough, it was true.

]https://www.huffpost.com/entry/molly-schuyler-steak-dinners-record-20-minutes_n_7097946

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you, Marietta!❤️

That's great to hear you don't have to go for another 5 years.    😍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Back home now after my cataract surgery.

The consultant said everything went well.

Vision is a little hazy but otherwise I'm delighted it is done.

Graham.

So glad that all went well.  Now relax and take it easy for a day or two!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Sounds like you are getting the same wind and rain bands that we got here in Virginia yesterday. Nearby Roanoke got 6 inches of rain, streets flooded, school delays and closures.

Crazy weather usually we get weather west to east, but this was rain from south to north and it just kept raining and raining.

Originally they were saying it was going to rain heavy into the evening, but looks like the worst is behind us now.   It sure did pour heavy for a couple of hours.    

Of course I had a pedicure appt in the middle of the heavy rain, but I survived - LOL!

Yes, storms are definitely more intense this year then ever before.    I hope this isn't a sign of what this winter will be like.    

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Today’s port is St Thomas. Took a taxi to Magens Bay. Beautiful water and scenery with nice sand on the beach and in the water. We took a taxi (no excursion). Got here early enough to rent a couple of chairs and find a spot in the shade of a tree. The beauty of the place slowly deteriorated as other passengers started showing up, jostling for position on the beach, and then yelling at each other in the water while pounding beer. Guess they don’t know how much their voices carry over water. With various excursions that drop people here for a couple of hours, there was a fairly constant stream of people dragging their rental beach chairs up and down the beach. Sigh. Wonder how bad the crowds get with multiple full ships in port. 

298D7BE0-F00E-4D55-B84F-A525CABD9330.thumb.jpeg.5dc9accad52fd6a33263ca36ebaef22b.jpeg

0CC389CF-6AD5-415D-BBB4-033FF98AA332.thumb.jpeg.37babfef3ce8f1f7374486248633f823.jpeg

36C68054-5108-4A98-B568-0316FEA7E62B.thumb.jpeg.70a189fb08fbfd06542ed88baa3222ae.jpeg

47E7CC71-FF77-45B6-8B44-4121C9CCBFF7.thumb.jpeg.d45a82aeec9f4aaceffacb93624a9020.jpeg

Too bad your relaxing day at Magens Bay got spoiled by the crowding and yelling from the beach goers.  We honeymooned in St. Thomas and stayed at the Pineapple Beach Hotel, which I do not believe exists any longer.  We had our picture taken in the Creque Alley in the shopping area back in 1971, and whenever our cruises take us to the Island, we try to remember to take a picture in the Alley.  We also always go to Magens Bay, when there.

• Like 5