Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

@reallyitsmema

OMG 

Glad you are safe.

We had a kitchen crock pot fire years ago...........electrical..............caught the curtains on fire, smoke everywhere.  It tripped the breaker.

Glad we were home.

We never cook anything any way if we are not home.

I have only a set of curtains on our patio slider.

No curtains where the crock pot crocks....................

Stay safe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Another aficionado of Zara here, though lately I have difficulty finding anything I'd like to buy....😢

Micheline did manage to find one top that she liked.  She said the store had become very "young".

I, on the other hand, could have bought half of the Tommy Bahama store.  I limited myself to a long sleeved reversible sweat shirt like top that will be perfect for the winter days here in the 50s/60s.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans.....  Today, we had planned to finally put everything back together in our garage and play with the garage opener app.  My son decided to heat some leftover pizza before he helped us move the heavier stuff.  He asked me to check the pizza, pulled it out and the electric element on the bottom of the stove was on fire and arcing, this after I had already turned off the oven.  Sparks and fire were traveling the length of the element and getting bigger, so I screamed for my husband to hit the circuit breaker as I grabbed a fire extinguisher.  He got the breaker and I hit the fire with the fire extinguisher and luckily, it went out!  Me and half the kitchen had white powder all over and the fire alarms were blaring but all was safe!  My husband and son got the stove out of the house, just in case it wanted to flash.  We really lucked out!  We just finished cleaning up all the mess as the powder settles everywhere! 

My husband went to a small, local appliance store we buy from and was able to buy a new stove that hopefully, gets delivered to the store on Monday.  They had two models to choose from that we could get before January!  We would have had to wait until after Thanksgiving to get it installed and delivered, so he is going to pick it up.  

We are definitely counting our blessings today.

Wow.  Definitely scary.  We had a fire extinguisher in our kitchen and master closet in Ohio but have none here in Florida.  Off to Home Depot today.

• Like 5

We just bought up and tested all our outdoor christmas lights, reindeer, etc.  Will put outside lights and other displays today before it gets too cold.  

I saw christmas tree lots yesterday.  Just seems too early to buy.  We usually wait till 2nd week of december to get our tree but hear there will still be a shortage this year so may have to get sooner than usual.

• Like 6

Thanks everybody, we are very lucky we just had fire extinguisher powder everywhere to clean up and not talking about replacing a kitchen or house.  We also never leave with a major appliance running but have put a pot roast or pork butt in the oven for its three hour cook and head into the yard to rake leaves or cut grass etc.  We had friends lose their house back when I was only a young teenager and it was caused by a toaster that was left plugged in.  To this day, I can not leave ours plugged in when we are not using it.  That was prior to GFI outlets but still remember the family having dinner with us the night of the fire and just the utter despair of what had just happened.

If you can't think of something for those adult kids for Christmas or Hanukkah this year, a two pack of fire extinguishers is really easy to wrap! 🙂 

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Micheline did manage to find one top that she liked.  She said the store had become very "young".

I, on the other hand, could have bought half of the Tommy Bahama store.  I limited myself to a long sleeved reversible sweat shirt like top that will be perfect for the winter days here in the 50s/60s.

Tommy Bahama is a bit hit and miss with me. Sometimes they have something that really catches my eye but more often not. Their pricing can be a bit off putting for what you get, too.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We

I saw christmas tree lots yesterday.  Just seems too early to buy.  We usually wait till 2nd week of december to get our tree but hear there will still be a shortage this year so may have to get sooner than usual.

Our outside lights are up. Put them up early last week when we had a warm spell. Going to be much colder this coming week and next.

However we won't be turning on the outside lights till Thanksgiving Night.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

Last year we got our (artificial) tree up right after thanksgiving, since we couldn’t do our normal cruise right after thanksgiving. But we are now somewhat back so we will put our tree and lights up when we get back from our cruise. Have a friend from New York visiting us this weekend. Sailing on Allure on Saturday.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

If you can't think of something for those adult kids for Christmas or Hanukkah this year, a two pack of fire extinguishers is really easy to wrap! 🙂 

Great suggestion, thanks!  

It’s a good thing you checked on that pizza when you did!  With all the product & contractor delays,  had there been more damage you might’ve been without your kitchen for a while.  And being able to replace your stove quickly is a good reminder of the value of “shopping local/shopping small”.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, davekathy said:

No ,no, don't do it. I was just kidding. 😁 Enjoy your well deserved retirement. If you're like most of us you do all the leg work for your cruises and just call the cruise line or a TA and give them all the details. 

I don't think I could ever be as good as my new TA is and I think you all know who I'm talking about. He is incredible with his knowledge of everything that is Royal Caribbean.

22 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

After dinner, we created our own sort of bar crawl back down Duval to our hotel.  First stop was Sloppy Joe's.  We were a little disappointed.  The musician was good and the place had a decent atmosphere, but it was clearly full of drunk tourists. 

The bartender made a fantastic Manhattan (for @Sea Dog, properly served straight up in a chilled martini glass) and might have also poured a couple of Basil Hayden's on the rocks. 

That's too bad about Sloppy Joe's. Nothing can ruin a vibe more than a bunch of obnoxious drunk tourists.

Sounds like a very tasty Manhattan. I'm glad he did it right.

22 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I didn't spend a lot of time taking pictures of the boat itself.  I wish I had.  I was more focused on the sunset.  Here a a couple more from my camera roll.

Looks like a huge kitty cat. Way bigger than the one we were in St. Croix.

18 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Sounds like a wonderful and memorable evening for you and Linda, Greg!  I know you'll both ❤️enjoy it to the fullest!!!!

Details below.

18 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

They are especially known for their brisket AND the breakfast burrito @Momof3gurlz Deb recommended.  Just note that there are no tables.  We usually take our food and eat it in the car. 

The one we stopped at was right on 45 on the way down to Galveston.  I THINK it was in the  Houston area.   Just follow the billboard signs.

I am so getting that breakfast burrito. Heard great things about it.

17 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

The food was very good and the portions were huge. 

Food looks amazing.

13 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We are definitely counting our blessings today.

I'll say, Thank God you are all right that must had been terrifying. Those portable fire extinguishers are a life saver. I'm glad you were able to minimize the damage.

25 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Tommy Bahama is a bit hit and miss with me. Sometimes they have something that really catches my eye but more often not. Their pricing can be a bit off putting for what you get, too.

I love their cargo shorts but I'm not a fan of the shirts. They are nice and feel good but wrinkle so easily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Final Farewell

IMG_7440.jpg.1e2dad64ca1477a09559718b13e5cc69.jpg

Linda and I were overjoyed and overwhelmed by the incredible love that was shared at our retirement party. Over a hundred people showed up to bid us farewell. I am especially thankful to those who flew into Kansas City for this special event just to be with us.  I was even surprised by one of longtime friends who flew all the way from Los Angeles and another who is a director at CBS Sports who flew in from Miami.

1646286435_QUAFFPARTY4.thumb.jpeg.ecde2ba9c2efd236f830d755609d8f7e.jpeg

I was so touched to have current and former news directors and management come to celebrate with us. We are really a family.

1061597347_QUAFFPARTY1.jpeg.37863462289eb7ae7d674aa868475728.jpeg

1798340170_QUAFFPARTY2.jpeg.715c0f3d3d1ff6063485286762e19a40.jpeg

IMG_7437.jpg.6f54dd458a2fa91f429c931e5dbf2ea3.jpg

IMG_7432.jpg.60b5791e659201f50713e0114454fadb.jpg

I even put together a slide show of our cruise to show everyone.

IMG_7429.jpg.b7972d2d418a174a5b128837d54c5ac1.jpg

As well as another slideshow of pictures of my career and video of my work. You can tell I like to produce.

This party put a close to a great series of events. I am now finally retired and can concentrate on future endeavors. Next up finish Christmas decorating and preparing for our future cruises. So looking forward to the Bella cruise.

Gotta go. Time to mulch some leaves. The yard needs me.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pleased to hear your quick actions saved the day.

We have been married 40 years and never left our oven on when we leave the house.

Your accident is what we have always worried about and why the oven is only on when we are at home.

I'm pleased everything turned out okay fortunately for you.

Graham.

I never leave the house with the oven on, as well.  I have had friends tell me they do it which I will never understand.

What happened to @reallyitsmemais a good example.  Glad you were home and you acted quickly!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Like you, I have some luck with their items. Regarding their pricing watch for coupons. Once you buy something on-line from them, they send them 2 times a year. She just got one, if she spends $130 she gets $60 off. 

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Looks like a huge kitty cat. Way bigger than the one we were in St. Croix.

They told us it was 70 feet long but their web site actually says 69 feet.  Having 2 heads was a nice feature on a sail with an open bar.  I'd recommend Sebago for anyone traveling to Key West in the future.  Fury is the other big name in the area for boat tours.

image.png.9f4d21ea197741170a37e316a0aeda6c.png

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Like you, I have some luck with their items. Regarding their pricing watch for coupons. Once you buy something on-line from them, they send them 2 times a year. She just got one, if she spends $130 she gets $60 off. 

Yes, I get the coupons. Recently got a $50 off if you spend over $100. Once they had one for $50 off with no minimum. I think it was before Christmas last year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've had good luck with the brand, and I like the style, which is why I end up buying it a lot.  They are good for an upscale casual look in Florida.  They are definitely pricey but hold up well for me for many years, so I get my money's worth from them.  I currently have shorts, bathing suits, short and long sleeved t-shirts, polo style shirts, Hawaiian style shirts, and now a sweat shirt.  I've bought several items on trips so they end up being souvenirs.  One of my Hawaiian shirts for example was purchased in St. Maarten on our last cruise so I will remember that when I wear it.  Wrinkling can definitely be a problem since they're often all cotton, silk, or linen.  I prefer the feel of the natural fibers though.  I roll when I pack, which helps with wrinkles.

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 6

42 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I never leave the house with the oven on, as well.  I have had friends tell me they do it which I will never understand.

What happened to @reallyitsmemais a good example.  Glad you were home and you acted quickly!

Oven, instant pot, slow cooker, iron, keuring, toaster oven.......checking as we are on our way.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I got the coupons too. I like Tommy Bahama's Disney prints.

• Like 1

Just a quick check in. We are soon ready to leave our hotel. 

Owen’s hockey team is in the finals of their tournament today, near Niagara Falls. They play at 1:30 this afternoon, against a team from their regular league. We’ve travelled 2 hours south east from home, to play a team 1.5 hours west of home. At least there will be no home crowd to speak of. We knocked out the host team last night. 😁

As for the game today it will be a grudge match. We just lost to them this past Tuesday at their arena. We owe them one. They lost a former Triple A player for today, because of a suspension for a hit from behind last night. 

Let’s go boys!!!!!

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 15

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Wow! Thankfully your home is ok.😯

14 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Thank God you all are safe, and that your house and kitchen did not get destroyed.  Quick action on your part!  How fortunate that you are able to replace your stove so quickly.

13 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

We just picked one up!  Glad you are safe.

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pleased to hear your quick actions saved the day.

We have been married 40 years and never left our oven on when we leave the house.

Your accident is what we have always worried about and why the oven is only on when we are at home.

I'm pleased everything turned out okay fortunately for you.

Graham.

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Omg how scary that must have been.  Great fact acting teamwork.🤩

Wonderful news you found a new oven in stock and are able to pick up and install before Thanksgiving.😍

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We never leave our washer or dishwasher on either if we leave the house.

Graham.

@reallyitsmema

Joining all of the above in the relief that your family and your house are OK.

We also never leave anything electric on when we are not home, and when we leave for a cruise, disconnect our computers, TV, etc. too.

1 hour ago, George C said:

Sailing on Allure on Saturday.

Have an enjoyable cruise. We've enjoyed Allure very much, especially Mama Mia 😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When I was 12 I read in a magazine that massaging warm olive oil into your cuticles was a good idea.  I poured some in a pot, put it on the stove on “High,” left the kitchen and promptly forgot about it.  (I was 12.)  My mother saw the pot aflame and not knowing it was oil in the pot she threw it in the sink and turned on the faucets.  It blazed up and set the curtains on fire.

My mother and I started to act like chickens with our heads cut off and ran around grabbing things to take out of the house.  My 8 year old brother went next door, borrowed a fire extinguisher from our neighbors and put out the fire.  Afterwards I looked in horror at the kitchen.  Everything was covered in a thick layer of white goo…the curtains were charred tatters, the ceiling was black with soot and the kitchen smelled like burned kitchen.  My father was going to come home and he would walk through the kitchen to go to the study to relax and read his paper.  (He was a cardio-thoracic surgeon.)  I couldn’t imagine what he was going to say.

My mother said “Don’t say anything; he won’t notice.”  What?!?!  How could he not notice?!?!  He did not notice.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

@helen haywoodI get the running around like chickens with their heads cut off.  My adult son and I were in the kitchen at the time and my husband was getting changed.  He heard the commotion in the kitchen and came out with his shirt in his hand to find out what was up.  I did scream at him to go turn off the circuit breaker downstairs even though he was right beside me.  My son went with him and I grabbed the extinguisher.  I tried to pull the pin but it was zip tied with a break away zip tie that wouldn't break so I screamed for my son to come help.  I got it to break before he got upstairs.  When I pulled the trigger to spray, that stuff comes out fast into the relatively small box shape of the oven and just rebounds back out all over who sprays it.  Thank God I where glasses!  I went out the french doors to the deck for air as I have breathing issues on a good day.  I can't imagine having to deal with what you and @Lionesssboth encountered.  Ours was mild compared to those.  The electrical element was arcing and looked like one of those big sparklers or roman candles you see on the 4th of July but with flames too.  I was just afraid it would go out the back of the stove or like the cabinets beside.  My son feels I should have tried salt and baking soda first but those were to the left of the stove in a cabinet and I didn't want to go there.  Who knows if that would have helped but the extinguisher was in an area of the kitchen away from the stove and easy to get so I went with that.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

She told me a story about her dryer having an electrical fire when were small children and how I should never leave the house while running major appliances.   I had never thought about it so now I never leave home while doing laundry.  

A dear friend of mine had a fire in her dryer years ago while she was out.  That's stuck with me all these years later.  I never go out with washer, dryer, or oven on.

With regard to cooking fires, when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, the frying pan I was cooking in caught fire, and I had to grab the pan and run outside with it.  Then, another time, my roommate was cooking two pots on the stove and called me from another room and asked me to turn off one of the pots.  I turned off the wrong one, and the kitchen caught fire.  Who knew I'd wind up marrying a firefighter a couple of years later🤷‍♀️

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

My dad was in the Army and was stationed in France and England. He dated a lady named Renee and one named Vivian. My mom agreed to only one name and not both since he wanted to call me Vivian Renee. I’m named after my mom (first name) and Renee was picked as my middle name. They stayed in touch with Renee and would occasionally visit her in France when we would go to Germany to visit my Omi and Opa. 

Did your Mom meet your Dad during the War?  My Uncle was in the Air Force during WWII, and met and married his wife who was from Germany.

My Mom and Dad met at one of the USO parties for the Servicemen in New York during the War.

• Like 3