Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Anthem denied docking in St. Kitts this morning.

Btw, I like your home gym.  Eric has been looking at buying a rowing machine.  He was rower during high school and college days at Penn and was highly involved until a few years ago when he had health issues.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Btw, I like your home gym.  Eric has been looking at buying a rowing machine.  He was rower during high school and college days at Penn and was highly involved until a few years ago when he had health issues.

We have it downstairs in the in-law suite area.......we have another kitchen  and a full bathroom down there plus that is where we watch movies on our 70 inch TV set up like a Home Theater Room. My wife has Disney and Movie stuff on the walls.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I was going to post that "I'd rather be at Jims house than Chicago" (where the offending poster lived) but thought the better of it.🙂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Speaking of "hopes"....

I've booked in November return flights from Barcelona after our cruise in June. We had no choice but to remain another day in Barcelona, since we couldn't make the early flight out, and the 2nd one was at 11pm. We decided long time ago that we'll not do night flights anymore...

So yesterday I get an email from El Al "seat assignment notification"... about new seats on our June 25th flight. I go "what's going on? our flight back is on the 24th..."  Went to "manage my booking" and I was very badly surprised to see that they've cancelled the 24th flight and moved us a day later... and... you guessed it... to the 11pm flight 😠.

Another night at the hotel, another day for trip assurance (at our "age" very expensive), and I absolutely hate being "homeless" after checking out [even if they allow us to leave our luggage]. What are we supposed to do until 8pm, when it's time to go to the airport?

El Al isn't answering their phones. You can only communicate with them via Whatsapp... They will reply in 2 business days...

For now, we decided to postpone until Sunday morning, the 26th, adding 2 nights at the hotel. No way we'll take the 11pm flight. Very very angry and frustrated right now. Grrrrrr.

There are a lot of benefits to modern living. This isn’t one of them. 🥲

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We have it downstairs in the in-law suite area.......we have another kitchen  and a full bathroom down there plus that is where we watch movies on our 70 inch TV set up like a Home Theater Room. My wife has Disney and Movie stuff on the walls.

Excellent sounds like the perfect retreat😍

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We have a bunch of movie posters in the finished basement area that was our boys hang out while growing up.  I used to have a life size stand up for the movie Oceans 11.  Loved seeing Brad Pitt and George Clooney everytime I went down to do laundry.🤩

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Speaking of "hopes"....

I've booked in November return flights from Barcelona after our cruise in June. We had no choice but to remain another day in Barcelona, since we couldn't make the early flight out, and the 2nd one was at 11pm. We decided long time ago that we'll not do night flights anymore...

So yesterday I get an email from El Al "seat assignment notification"... about new seats on our June 25th flight. I go "what's going on? our flight back is on the 24th..."  Went to "manage my booking" and I was very badly surprised to see that they've cancelled the 24th flight and moved us a day later... and... you guessed it... to the 11pm flight 😠.

Another night at the hotel, another day for trip assurance (at our "age" very expensive), and I absolutely hate being "homeless" after checking out [even if they allow us to leave our luggage]. What are we supposed to do until 8pm, when it's time to go to the airport?

El Al isn't answering their phones. You can only communicate with them via Whatsapp... They will reply in 2 business days...

For now, we decided to postpone until Sunday morning, the 26th, adding 2 nights at the hotel. No way we'll take the 11pm flight. Very very angry and frustrated right now. Grrrrrr.

Dani , very frustrating indeed.   That is why we always book with a TA except when we use frequent flyer miles or hotel reward points .   Go to the El Al web page and check to see if there is a chat icon.  My TA was on hold for five hours and was connected right away using this feature.   

Reality shows are the Walmart of programming .   No high wages for actors , etc.  I was chatting with the dad of one of participants on the show that was filmed on 5th Ave. in NYC and he told me it was not what it seemed.  She probably signed a NDA because he wouldn’t say anything else about his daughter’s appearance.  It is a much needed diversion these days but this household does not watch . 

We are canceling our cruise in May .  Firstly because of Covid uncertainty and secondly because my husband’s knee situation will not be resolved by then.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

It might only be my perception but lately it seems that covid outbreaks on cruise ships are infecting more crew than passengers.  I know vaxxing isn't 100% effective but it still makes me wonder. 🤔

They only test crew, not passengers who display no symptoms.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

It might only be my perception but lately it seems that covid outbreaks on cruise ships are infecting more crew than passengers.  I know vaxxing isn't 100% effective but it still makes me wonder. 🤔

Crews are being monitored very closely and tested frequently.  Passengers have to test to board and are only tested again if they present themselves to medical.  If passengers were tested more, I bet the numbers would be much higher.  Who knows how many asymptomatic people are on the ships.

• Like 8

They will test us at the end of the week, before we can continue on for the second week.  

Is it just me, or do you just notice more people coughing?  We were walking the outdoor track this morning, and a couple were coughing and we thought the girl was going to heave!   Who knows, rough night or Covid symptoms?   In either case, we slowed our pace.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Speaking of "hopes"....

I hate that you are getting caught up in the flight mess.  What amazes me is they switched it up so far out.  The flight circus has been like this for awhile now in the states.  This time we booked a Friday flight for our Sunday cruise.  No day before for us right now.  The same with cruising.  Last cruise Antigua was canceled, the only port we had never visited.  When planning Sunday’s cruise we decided to book with no hopes of ports.  We just want to get out and enjoy the ocean.  The build up to cruising is not the same right now.  To much stress beforehand but once on board I am sure you will enjoy getting away for awhile.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

The build up to cruising is not the same right now.  To much stress beforehand but once on board I am sure you will enjoy getting away for awhile.

Sigh.  Isn’t that the truth?!  We leave Friday for a cruise on Sunday…going to pack today…but it will be joyless as we still have to take the covid test Friday…and worry about every person we see at all times.  I’m too old to try to change my naturally friendly gregarious self!!  I wasn’t born a misanthrope!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

That is so frustrating Dani.  Not only the late departure (ugh) but not being able to contact them.  It’s almost like they are saying just take what we give and don’t bother us.

Hope you are able to change it.

Exactly. On top of that, first they alerted about seats assignments, and only hours later that the "schedule" will change...

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

This must be incredibly frustrating.  I usually spend time evaluating different flights to get the timing that I want.  I don't want someone changing that on me.  And to not be able to call someone about it????  Poor customer service.

100% agree. They have a very long record of poor service and poor customer service. I was hoping that this time I'll switch to Iberia, but Iberia code shares with El Al, unless we wanted to fly via Madrid, making it a 9 hours flight instead of 4.10....

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Wow, I bet you are Dani, really frustrating. 

I find call centres have got really bad since covid, two years later they are still using it as an excuse .

This.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Same with me. It takes time to put the flights together that work for me... including where I want to sit. I don't appreciate them being messed with.

This.

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

Dani , very frustrating indeed.   That is why we always book with a TA except when we use frequent flyer miles or hotel reward points .  Go to the El Al web page and check to see if there is a chat icon.  

The Whatsapp feature is their "chat icon"....

8 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I hate that you are getting caught up in the flight mess.  What amazes me is they switched it up so far out.  

It amazes me too.... El Al has 2 daily flights BCN-TLV. On Friday (our original flight) only one, El Al being a "religious" airline [if this concept even makes sense at all...], being close to Saturday/Shabbat, only one... and Saturday they fly only very late in the evening, when the Shabbat is finished. So that leaves them with absolutely no flights on this particular Friday. I would have thought they'll cancel one of the 2 flights. That was our reasoning for booking so early the only flight on Friday -- we were afraid it will be full. It is the peak of the season, since schools here are out on June 20th. GO FIGURE.

8 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

The build up to cruising is not the same right now.  To much stress beforehand but once on board I am sure you will enjoy getting away for awhile.

This 😢.

2 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Sigh.  Isn’t that the truth?!  

It is.

We leave Friday for a cruise on Sunday…going to pack today…but it will be joyless as we still have to take the covid test Friday…and worry about every person we see at all times.  I’m too old to try to change my naturally friendly gregarious self!!  I wasn’t born a misanthrope!

Same here....

Update:

El Al replied on Whatsapp that:

1) They moved us to the same seats to the morning flight "without fees" [thanks, but anyway our tickets were pricier because we could change/cancel "without fees"...].

2) They'll reimburse - against receipts - the additional expenses caused by the schedule change...

3) We shall see.

The hotel in Barcelona [highly recommended in the Spain ports forum] stepped up, true to its reputation. I've asked for 2 additional nights [checked beforehand to see if there are still rooms available, and noticed that the rate has gone up from 166 Euro to 220 Euro per night].

They replied immediately, and without even me asking -- "we will keep your original rate". Very nice !!!

• Like 19

25 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Sigh.  Isn’t that the truth?!  We leave Friday for a cruise on Sunday…going to pack today…but it will be joyless as we still have to take the covid test Friday…and worry about every person we see at all times.  I’m too old to try to change my naturally friendly gregarious self!!  I wasn’t born a misanthrope!

Sounds like if we ever run into each other on a cruise we would enjoy meeting.  I enjoy meeting people.  We our sailing on Harmony Sunday.  I am sure you mentioned but which ship are you boarding?  
I don’t remember if you have cruised lately but if not, once you get the negative test your joy level will jump up and a layer of stress will fall off but walking up the ramp to the ship is the best.  Hope you enjoy the cruise.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Exactly. On top of that, first they alerted about seats assignments, and only hours later that the "schedule" will change...

100% agree. They have a very long record of poor service and poor customer service. I was hoping that this time I'll switch to Iberia, but Iberia code shares with El Al, unless we wanted to fly via Madrid, making it a 9 hours flight instead of 4.10....

This.

This.

This 😢.

Update:

1) They moved us to the same seats to the morning flight "without fees" [thanks, but anyway our tickets were pricier because we could change/cancel "without fees"...].

2) They'll reimburse - against receipts - the additional expenses caused by the schedule change...

3) We shall see.

The hotel in Barcelona [highly recommended in the Spain ports forum] stepped up, true to its reputation. I've asked for 2 additional nights [checked beforehand to see if there are still rooms available, and noticed that the rate has gone up from 166 Euro to 220 Euro per night].

They replied immediately, and without even me asking -- "we will keep your original rate". Very nice !!!

Barcelona is one place I wouldn’t mind being stuck in, several years ago we spent most of the day in a New York airport then they finally canceled our flight ( was delayed several times) we called the hotel in nyc asking if we could spend another night there , they gave us same price and upgraded us to a suite. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

This.

This.

This 😢.

Update:

3) We shall see.

I am so sorry you had to go through this frustration.  We've had issues with El-Al years before covid.  Jack says El-Al stands for Every Landing Always Late.

Glad it's finally working out for you. We used to like the midnight flight to NY.  We were lucky that we had Jack's sister's place to hang out in after hotel check out.  All the friends would gather on the balcony, solving the world's problems until we left for the airport.   Happy to be going home but unhappy to be leaving, if that makes sense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Crews are being monitored very closely and tested frequently.  Passengers have to test to board and are only tested again if they present themselves to medical.  If passengers were tested more, I bet the numbers would be much higher.  Who knows how many asymptomatic people are on the ships.

Now that's a scary thought!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

They test all crew at least once a week.    I heard some ships that had larger outbreaks were testing crew 2 to 3 times a week.     they only test passengers if they are a close contact or report to medical with symptoms.    

I think they are still testing children at the end of every sailing so imagine some of the positive cases with passengers pop up then. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Now that's a scary thought!

It is scary but we are also near asymptomatic people when we go to the grocery store or anywhere else these days.  Positivity rate in Massachusetts is now over 20%, so that is 1 in 5 who are being tested are positive.  

I think it is great that some people are comfortable sailing right now, but for us, we aren't even sure we will sail in May.  I am glad that our final payment is now due in April as we would not have made final payment if it was still due in February.  We have a sky loft suite that we booked dirt cheap for 2021, got cancelled and did a lift and shift to 2022.  I really don't want to lose it but knowing we would have to move to a quarantine cabin if we got sick on the ship, I don't know what we will do at this point.

We will just have to wait and see if the decision is made for us by the cruise line if they decide to leave Quantum in Singapore again.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

More NCL cancellations.  Some ships being pulled out of service for a while.

No photo description available.

From what I understand NCL does not have "ghost ships" floating at sea like Royal has Rhapsody and Vision and I think Carnival has 1 or 2 ships they have been removing positive crew to quarantine.     

the list looks a lot worse than it really is as they typically are not doing Med, Alaska and Hawaii cruises this time of year anyway.