Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

20 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, we are thinking about that too. Quite pricey compared to wall units, but you only do this once right?

Yeah the drawers are two to three times the cost but well worth it.  I guess it depends on how often you like to update, LOL.  I had a client that did a full kitchen and bath gut and remodels every ten years.  But then again she had more money than she knew what to do with. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I know it’s been mentioned here before but I started watching “Yellowstone.” With Kevin Costner. Boy is it good.

Yellowstone was great.  When you catch up be sure to watch 1883, the prequel to Yellowstone.  Features the Dutton family, written by the same person (Taylor Sheridan).  It's on the Paramount streaming service.

And if you liked Yellowstone you'll also like Succession on HBO.  Basically the same show, except Succession is in New York and Yellowstone is in Montana.

Edited by Paul from Maryland
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, my wife wants a nice wooden range hood over the cook top, so no way a microwave would go there. She does want a double oven too because she says houses in our price range all have double ovens, but with that and microwave in  the wall we will just have walls of stainless  steel appliances filling up that wall.

Still undecided on a lot, we have a designer planning it for us. We should see what she comes up with  soon.

Cabinets on wall will be off white with black sparkled counter top. Island will be a shade of brown with the same black countertop, with a farmhouse sink. Range hood will be the same shade of brown the island is.

Subway tile for back splash, Above the upper cabinets  will be the same brick veneer we use for fireplace on the walls that go up  on cathedral ceiling in the  kitchen .

Pic 1.png

pic 2.png

pic 3.png

Looks great!    I know what you mean about the microwave.    It was suggested to me to put in the island but I wasn't sure I wanted microwave down there either.     I keep viewing kitchen photos on HGTV website to get some ideas.  I had estimates in 2020 and afraid to see what those numbers look like nowadays.     My must have's are a lazy susan cabinet (had one in my previous house and really miss it), all drawers for lower cabinets (except under sink).    Hopefully your designer comes up with a good idea    I am sure it will be beautiful when done.    

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Yellowstone was great.  When you catch up be sure to watch 1883, the prequel to Yellowstone.  Features the Dutton family, written by the same person (Taylor Sheridan).  It's on the Paramount streaming service.

And if you liked Yellowstone you'll also like Succession on HBO.  Basically the same show, except Succession is in New York and Yellowstone is in Montana.

I have never thought to compare Yellowstone to Succession.    That Succession family is so ruthless.    

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

A very popular and useful option is a microwave drawer in the island.  Makes access a lot easier than the traditional door front microwave in an island.

That's a great option too!     They are costly microwaves.   I have seen them at home depot for close to $1500.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

We just returned from our 10 day cruise on the Enchanted Princess. Have to catch up on all the reading on this thread. Don't quiz me till then. I vowed not to touch CC on this cruise and to just relax and chill out.

We've missed you, but glad you had an enjoyable cruise 🌺

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have never thought to compare Yellowstone to Succession.    That Succession family is so ruthless.    

The Dutton family was pretty ruthless too.  Jockeying to take over the business, blaming the daughter for the mother's death, the adopted son hiring someone to shoot up the family, taking ranch hands on rides to the "train station."  Fist fights in the bunk house.

I saw many similarities between Succession and Yellowstone.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Looks great!    I know what you mean about the microwave.    It was suggested to me to put in the island but I wasn't sure I wanted microwave down there either.     I keep viewing kitchen photos on HGTV website to get some ideas.  I had estimates in 2020 and afraid to see what those numbers look like nowadays.     My must have's are a lazy susan cabinet (had one in my previous house and really miss it), all drawers for lower cabinets (except under sink).    Hopefully your designer comes up with a good idea    I am sure it will be beautiful when done.    

When I did my old condo in Sarasota years ago, I did all drawers as well.  It’s so much easier organizing and using the drawers than the typical cabinets.  It’s a must have in my next place.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My must have's are a lazy susan cabinet

Had to google it... Turns out I'm the proud owner of one 🤪

If I may chime in, "me thinks" absolutely a must to have the oven easy to look into.

The microwave too.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

The Dutton family was pretty ruthless too.  Jockeying to take over the business, blaming the daughter for the mother's death, the adopted son hiring someone to shoot up the family, taking ranch hands on rides to the "train station."  Fist fights in the bunk house.

Very true, I just never looked at it that way when I watched either series.   Glad my family isn't rich and ruthless🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

I’ll need to check it out. Yes we’ve watched Succession and love it. 

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

1 hour ago, Paul from Maryland said:

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Very true, I just never looked at it that way when I watched either series.   Glad my family isn't rich and ruthless🤑

I also, never thought there were similarities between the two families. But now I can see it as mentioned above, the ruthlessness of both.  The Duttons have no problem  getting rid of anybody who gets in their way

I guess the main difference is the Dutton family is "mostly" likable and "mostly" seem to care for each other while Succession, it's every man  & woman for themselves.  How they can have family events together pretending to be civil towards each other is beyond me. lol.

One of my most favorite Succession episodes is the bachelor party in an underground tunnel in NYC.  They seemed to really enjoy each others company. 

• Like 1

Mike was only going to be on the first Wonder cruise and then be on the fourth week in March on the Odyssey with me. He decided to drop a trip the second week and go with me on the second Wonder cruise. He will pick up a trip the third week to replace the dropped week. Happy to have him with me for 2 of the Wonder cruises. 🥂🥂🥂

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Well Happy Fat Tuesday aka Mardi Gras to all.

Now a couple thoughts ran thru my mind, you know like a gerbil on an exercise wire wheel.

Growing up as a Slovak/Polish Catholic my mom used to make those PACZKI donuts fresh on Fat Tuesday.

She would fill them with custard, and lekvar.  

Even though I love the taste of lekvar, I never acquired a taste for paczki donuts.

I would rather have a cream filled doughnut from May's in Hermitage Pa, than eating paczki,

Now it seems like it is a major thing before lent.

One of the specialty shops in town had people lining up hours before they opened so they can get this rare treat that is only made selectively through out the year.

I'll save my money, and carbs.

But growing up after having 15 years of Catholic education (Yup went to a catholic 3 year nursing school, in my first life, after high school). It was instilled in us to give up something for lent that you enjoy, or in other ways to leave bad habits.

Over the years I gave up the usual:

Swearing

Pop

Potato chips and ice cream

alcohol

But the best one I ever did and accomplished was I gave up..................elevators for Lent, and would say a prayer for someone as I climbed up or down.

Yes, I worked in an 8 story hospital and we had to provide emergency airway assistance and administer epidurals for laboring women.

After I dedicated myself to this goal, my boss put me on OB orientation to learn to give epidurals for the month.  Day in/Day out.

Our operating rooms were on the first and third floors and OB department was on the 7th. floor.

When not busy in OB, you gave breaks and helped in OR.

Well I think the hospital set a record of delivery's that month, and I counted and had to keep a tally of how many epidurals I placed for credentialing.  

That month I inserted on day shift alone, 129 epidurals for pain relief.

So that meant up and down, up and down and up and down those stairs.

The first few weeks I thought I was going to die. Why did I ever do this.

By the end of the month I was in the best shape ever.

So, when lent was coming to an end at church there was a basket and those who gave up something and would meet their commitment were asked to anonymously put in a basket what they accomplished.

I wrote  "I GAVE UP ELEVATORS" , and prayed on the way up and down............ and that  was the one selected and shared as a sacrifice as well as improving health.

Enjoy Mardi Gras

And for those who will be observing lent..................Prayers for peace and health.

Take care

I am a proud PA (Polish American)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

We just returned from our 10 day cruise on the Enchanted Princess. Have to catch up on all the reading on this thread. Don't quizz me till then. I vowed not to touch CC on this cruise and to just relax and chill out. So apologies if I have not chimed in to or liked anyone's post. Hope all the peoples, puppies, kitties, body parts that had been worked on (hey there Greg!😉) etc etc are doing good and there is peace online and at home.

We made all of our scheduled ports. It was a WOW cruise. Will post more details and some comparisons later. Saw the Wonder in port yesterday. Now she is a LOT of ship!😄

I  hope you and RJ had a fantastic cruise,Arzeena

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

The other thing I’ve been doing when not exercising or napping is binge watching.

I know it’s been mentioned here before but I started watching “Yellowstone.” With Kevin Costner. Boy is it good. It’s like Bonanza meets the God Father. Very intense at times. I’m finished with season 1 and started season two. Linda doesn’t care for all the violence but I think that it was makes it so intense. If you haven’t seen it you should check it out. Great acting, powerful story and incredible beautiful scenery.

I was surprised to see that CODA did so well at the SAG.There are many award shows on the horizon.Critics Choice,BAFTA and the Oscars.Looking forward to them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, we are thinking about that too. Quite pricey compared to wall units, but you only do this once right?

We had our entire downstairs re-done in 2019.It was the second time that we did that.The first was when we moved in ,2003.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Coralc said:

I think it was a resignation, not a retirement. They are moving to Florida. :classic_biggrin: Welcome back! How were the Princess cruises? Where'd you go? :classic_smile:

Thanks Patti!  😁  I'm happy with Princess; prefer RCCL because of 'perks',  The cruise was LA-Cabo-Mazatlan-PV with a few sea days thrown in. I did a B3B.  It was great o be back on a ship, and the prices were crazy low for a solo.  No supplement! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, my wife wants a nice wooden range hood over the cook top, so no way a microwave would go there. She does want a double oven too because she says houses in our price range all have double ovens, but with that and microwave in  the wall we will just have walls of stainless  steel appliances filling up that wall.

Still undecided on a lot, we have a designer planning it for us. We should see what she comes up with  soon.

Cabinets on wall will be off white with black sparkled counter top. Island will be a shade of brown with the same black countertop, with a farmhouse sink. Range hood will be the same shade of brown the island is.

Subway tile for back splash, Above the upper cabinets  will be the same brick veneer we use for fireplace on the walls that go up  on cathedral ceiling in the  kitchen .

Pic 1.png

pic 2.png

pic 3.png

That’s going to be a beautiful kitchen.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was surprised to see that CODA did so well at the SAG.There are many award shows on the horizon.Critics Choice,BAFTA and the Oscars.Looking forward to them.

I was surprised too but it is a film that could see winning. I think it will do well at the Oscar’s. I actually did not vote for it as best ensemble. I did however get 8 of the winners so I felt pretty good about my voting. You always hate to vote and then see none of your votes win. When you do get it right you feel validated by your peers.

• Like 2

Woohoo I'm back!!  I just had my new Samsung Galaxy Book laptop installed.  I just couldn't type on that little cell phone keyboard.  Best is that the tech was able to transfer my old MS Office to this computer.  Saved us $149.  We gave him a nice tip!  So glad to type on a regular laptop keyboard again with n's and b's intact.

@Sea DogGreg, you're making wonderful progress.  I love your Sea Dog photo at the end of your posts.

@lenquixote66 Lenny, condolences on Toby's friend's passing.

@George C Welcome home!  I warmed up the Dallas area for you.

Kitchen redecorating sounds and looks exciting.

Carry on!

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

That’s going to be a beautiful kitchen.  

Anybody ever seen a microwave over a double oven? you think that is doable?

Microwave  is 14 inches high x 30 inches wide, double oven is  50 inches high by 30 inches wide......

That's pretty much the height of my microwave over my range now. 64"

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Anybody ever seen a microwave over a double oven? you think that is doable?

Microwave  is 14 inches high x 30 inches wide, double oven is  50 inches high by 30 inches wide......

That's pretty much the height of my microwave over my range now. 64"

Google "microwave above double wall oven" and you will find lots of pictures, including some that offer other ideas.  Personally, if you are looking resale value, I would go with the drawer microwave.  As someone who is vertically challenged,  I do not like the idea of taking something hot out of something tall.  Even my over the stove microwave and the reach across the stove makes taking anything heavy out of the microwave a challenge.  I am always afraid the cover will slip off and I will get splashed with something hot.  I have someone taller get stuff out at times.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Google "microwave above double wall oven" and you will find lots of pictures, including some that offer other ideas.  Personally, if you are looking resale value, I would go with the drawer microwave.  As someone who is vertically challenged,  I do not like the idea of taking something hot out of something tall.  Even my over the stove microwa, I might bve and the reach across the stove makes taking anything heavy out of the microwave a challenge.  I am always afraid the cover will slip off and I will get splashed with something hot.  I have someone taller get stuff out at times.

When I move again, I might be getting in a box.:classic_ohmy:

• Haha 4