Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Gas Engineer has been and got our heating restarted.🤞

So glad it’s fixed.

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

.....Daughter says airplane packed, no open seats, no temperature check, no health questions. 

M8

Mike has been telling me the same thing and he does the South American routes. At least he has continued fresh air and not recirculated air.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

My home ski mountain.  I haven’t skied since around Y2K.  Sigh.  I used to love it.  then we started cruising... flowrider is my substitute.  

21 years. wow. You know, the new skis have a shaped curve that makes it so much easier to ski. A lot less stress on the knees.

Still, a few positives:

1) No long lift lines to contend with.

2) No navigating around fallen skiers

3) No falling on hard ice

4) No bulky clothing to wear.

Still, nothing beats the views, the fresh air of an early morning run from a mountain top....as I gaze longingly at my Volkl ski's gathering dust and cobwebs in the corner.  Then I remember the 3 months I wore a cast on a broken wrist from the infamous "just run more last run of the day" that would always get me in trouble , another fall a year later that caused a torn calf muscle that had me in a walking boot & cane and my Dr. telling me how close I came to tearing an ACL.

I'd be the guy that would break an ankle on the Flowrider.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, my last set of skis were Rossignols I think 4S they were 203 cm long.  Which the new skis look to be about 150cm long.  Which is how we learned at Ski Idlewild.  100cm skis, and the you graduated up to 120 then 150.  It was called the GLM method, they did away with it because people found skiing on short skis was easier than longer skis.  They were ahead of their time.  My favorite skis for most of my life were Olin Mark IV kind of a hot dog ski.  We decorate the front porch at Christmas time with them sitting on the porch.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yeah, my last set of skis were Rossignols I think 4S they were 203 cm long.  Which the new skis look to be about 150cm long.  Which is how we learned at Ski Idlewild.  100cm skis, and the you graduated up to 120 then 150.  It was called the GLM method, they did away with it because people found skiing on short skis was easier than longer skis.  They were ahead of their time.  My favorite skis for most of my life were Olin Mark IV kind of a hot dog ski.  We decorate the front porch at Christmas time with them sitting on the porch.  

Being a bit on the heavy side, I always had 203 cm skis. I needed the stopping power 🙂 Problem was, the long skis I had...K2....like to fly down the slopes and I was not much of a speed demon. More of a cruiser gently "S"'ing my way side to side down the slopes. A hard core Intermediate skier, I am! 😄

Eventually, my friends convinced to to part with my money and in invest new skies. 184 cm. I thought the salesman was crazy for suggesting a ski that short but said I could return them if I didn't like them.  Right off the bat, I could ski much faster, with more control and more importantly, without feeling beat up at the end of the day.

I remember talking to people using the real short skis. They were having a blast and could turn on a dime.

I miss skiing.  Skiing used to be my favorite activity.  I grew up in the Northeast (US), originally outside of Buffalo where I learned to ski at a couple of local places that had about an 800 foot vertical (Holiday Valley and Kissing Bridge).  I went to college near Vermont and then worked in Northeastern PA, and Killington became my preferred resort.  We'd pack several people into a condo and ski the Bear Mountain area for a weekend.  That evolved into annual week long ski trips out west and to France with 3 other guys. I still remember waking up at Steamboat Springs and looking out the window after about 2 feet feel during the night.  Spectacular.  I learned what real powder was like, rather than just a couple of inches on top of an ice packed surface.  I've skied just about everywhere in CO except for Winter Park.  Never had the pleasure.

Our last trip, which included wives/girlfriends at that point, was to the Banff area in Alberta.  Loved skiing at Lake Louis.  That's when we all started having kids and life changed (obviously, for the better 😁).  We kept saying that we would still ski but it never happened.  There just wasn't much skiing within driving distance of Cincinnati and a week long ski trip with little kids wasn't in the cards.  It's now been 25+ years since I last skied.  I kept my 210cm Rossis in a closet for about a decade before trying to sell them.  No one even wanted them because skis and bindings had evolved so much.  I keep thinking that I want to go skiing again, but I'm probably better off with the memory of how good I used to be rather than the reality of what a 25 year older body could handle.  Sigh.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, island lady said:

Dave of "DaveKathy" can tell you a lot about skiing.  He just gives himself a shove out his backdoor...and off to the mountain he goes.  😉 

Pat, I haven't hit the slopes yet this year. A lot of changes for this ski season and if I go I'll wait for all of the out of state and holiday skiers to leave. Another good (way too many to count) thing about being retired, ski during the weekdays not weekends.  I may just skip it this year altogether as our snow totals are way down this year at all the resorts. Luckily it's been really cold so the resorts have been able to make snow to add to the base. It isn't the nice powder I like when we get it from mother nature. I need to buy a new helmet as last year someone decided they needed my helmet more than I do. 🤬 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Pat, I haven't hit the slopes yet this year. A lot of changes for this ski season and if I go I'll wait for all of the out of state and holiday skiers to leave. I may just skip it this year altogether as our snow totals are way down this year at all the resorts. Luckily it's been really cold so the resorts have been able to make snow to add to the base. It isn't the nice powder I like when we get it from mother nature. I need to buy a new helmet as last year someone decided they needed my helmet more than I do. 🤬 

Oh no...that's right you too.  We are inundated with tourists right now, apparently the choice of vacations for northerners that can't cruise and don't want to travel international (and can't).  We were supposed to be preparing for our long anticipated Aussie adventure leaving early next month.  So much for that.  😞 

Our skiing days are over..brittle bones have found their way into our aged bodies.  Drats....and my little sister smashed her leg the last time she skied as well.  

Gosh we used to love to fly out west to ski.  We were a tad "over the top" with the chances we took, and for some reason that little flask I kept tucked into my ski suit just made us feel invincible all the more.  😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

I have an appointment...later in the day than I would have liked, which will be bad for back up at 3:30...but I had no choice in what time or day.  Guessing the lines will be bad even with appointment.  😞 

That’s great. None for me yet. Signed up to get notified but nothing yet. 

4 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Oh wow. What all does that mean?

Stay safe!

Only food shops open.

Places of worship open 

Work from home unless absolutely necessary to go out.

Only allowed out to buy food,to exercise, medical assistance or to avoid domestic violence.

Universities and most schools closed.

17 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Only food shops open.

Places of worship open 

Work from home unless absolutely necessary to go out.

Only allowed out to buy food,to exercise, medical assistance or to avoid domestic violence.

Universities and most schools closed.

Stay safe Graham.  Are food delivery services like Door Dash, Grub Hub, and Uber Eats big in the UK?  We get something delivered by Door Dash at least once a week.  Not the same as going out, but usually better than cooking.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Stay safe Graham.  Are food delivery services like Door Dash, Grub Hub, and Uber Eats big in the UK?  We get something delivered by Door Dash at least once a week.  Not the same as going out, but usually better than cooking.

We have uber eats and deliveroo who deliver from supermarkets as well as take aways meals from restaurants

But most peoples big weekly delivery is done  by the supermarkets own service, Tesco, Sainsbury, Waitrose etc. 

Uber eats and deliveroo are handy for small items you may of forgotten 

I haven't gone into a shop for around 3 weeks now and won't until the rates start to come down. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Lots of takeaways have their own delivery drivers.

Most of the food supermarkets do home delivery ordered online.

11 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Graham, I am coming to bust you and Pauline out!  My house is a revolving door so no one will notice but we will have to quarantine for ten days when I bring you to New York🤪

Sounds good thanks.👍

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

UK Prime minister has just announced a Full Lockdown until February 15th at the earliest.

A record 80,000 positive cases for covid19 on December 29th.

Bummer.... very long!!! 

It seems that the British and South African "variants" are highly contagious... we're heading in this "direction" too... the 3rd lock down doesn't seem to work, people are fed up and they see that the vaccinations are here, so, sadly, they let their "guard down".

The "rationale" seems to be: "let's do it TOTAL one more time for 2 weeks and be done with this virus"...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I went to college near Vermont and then worked in Northeastern PA, and Killington became my preferred resort.  We'd pack several people into a condo and ski the Bear Mountain area for a weekend. 

I learned to ski in the Catskills.  It was perfect for a day trip. Killington also became my preferred resort for long weekends trips or even week long trips, My friends would hit Bear Mountain early while I studied the trail map to see how far I could ski without having to get on a chair lift, hence a lot of meandering trails between the various peaks.  Even though we rented a condo, we'd often be out eating at the Wobbly Barn or Casey's Caboose.

When I was real gung-ho, I'd do day trips to Mt. Snow in southern Vermont.  2 1/2 - 3 hour drive each way, ski, lunch, ski, happy hour, dinner then home. Leave my house at 4:30 am and return 11:00 pm.  Certainly can't do that anymore.

I did find a small mountain about 65-70 minutes from where I current live. 1,000 foot vertical drop but a $199 unlimited skiing season pass means I could drive up after breakfast, ski a couple hours and be home by lunch. Or when they'd have night skiing, drive up after work. That's more my speed these days. EDIT: That was a few years ago. Not sure what it is now.

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I keep thinking that I want to go skiing again, but I'm probably better off with the memory of how good I used to be rather than the reality of what a 25 year older body could handle.  Sigh.

You might be surprised. When I first got married and bought a house, money was tight so I stopped skiing for 5-6 years. When I went back, it was like riding a bicycle. Of course, that's was when I was still in my 30's. 😏

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, dani negreanu said:

Bummer.... very long!!! 

It seems that the British and South African "variants" are highly contagious... we're heading in this "direction" too... the 3rd lock down doesn't seem to work, people are fed up and they see that the vaccinations are here, so, sadly, they let their "guard down".

The "rationale" seems to be: "let's do it TOTAL one more time for 2 weeks and be done with this virus"...

Daily average of 50,000+ new covid19 cases and over 500 deaths.

Pauline is a civil servant but working from home but several of her work colleagues in her office just today have tested positive for  covid19.

The new variant is said to be 50% more infectious.

Pleased you have your first vaccine.

Stay safe.

Graham

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1