Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I am the opposite. After reading so much more during the pandemic lockdowns here and even earlier this year, I have hit a reading slump.  Not for lack of books though.  Every fortnight I do “street library” walk in our local area that covers several kms and several street libraries plus our local library is always well stocked with new releases.  Despite this, I’ve only read two books a month in the past two months and keep returning books to the library unfinished. I am sure I will get my mojo back in the new year.

Enjoy your new reads especially Lee Child and Michael Connelly.

I use to love reading though last few years it more on my paperwhite kindle than actual books. But last couple of years even though I'm now retired I seem to read less and less books. Got into the habit of reading newspapers on line during covid and now addicted, probably not a good thing. 

I rejoined the local library recently, mainly so I could take the grandchildren but I find I'm not finishing one book in three weeks whereas years ago I would read several a week

• Like 5

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I am the opposite. After reading so much more during the pandemic lockdowns here and even earlier this year, I have hit a reading slump.  Not for lack of books though.  Every fortnight I do “street library” walk in our local area that covers several kms and several street libraries plus our local library is always well stocked with new releases.  Despite this, I’ve only read two books a month in the past two months and keep returning books to the library unfinished. I am sure I will get my mojo back in the new year.

Enjoy your new reads especially Lee Child and Michael Connelly.

Dup  😄

Edited by sgmn

Regarding Halloween  it's not such a big thing here,   though has become more popular in the last 20 odd years.

Usually the local kids come around with their parents though its been a bit subdued the last two years. 

I guess we had around 40 kids altogether between 5 and 7pm. The weather was off and on raining. Towards the end we were telling the kids to take two bars each. Still had about 30 bars left over at the end of the evening

My attempt at carving the pumpkin was pretty awful this year so no pictures 😕 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Saw my Podiatrist today.  I now have to revert back to wearing the dreaded 'boot" every time I walk.  My ankle healed beautifully but the rest of my foot is finding difficulty becoming pain free because it's been non weight baring for 7 weeks.  Apparently, I'm not walking as I should, my gait is off which is causing pain. Have to suspend PT for the 2 weeks I have to wear the boot.  I'm going to pick up a "shoe extender" as I call it to put under my sneaker of my good foot so that both feet are equal in height so I can walk without limping.  

My ankle surgery was May 30 and I'm getting disheartened.  My femur bone surgery to repair a fracture was a piece of cake compared to this.

Next on the list; cataract surgery.  This is why I love reading the posts in here and looking at some awesome pictures.  Takes me away................

I hope all CC technical sign on issues are resolved soon.  Enough already!

In 2009 I was discharged by a doctor who said there was nothing more he could do for me and he referred me to a Neurologist.Several years ago he wrote a book about Laser Therapy stating that 90% of his patients were helped by the therapy.I went back to him for a free consultation .He told me that neither Medicare nor any other health insurance covers what he does and the approximate charge for the treatments I would need was $1927.00.I spoke to my Pain Management doctor.His opinion was that it would be throwing out money.Everything that the Pain Management doctor did was not of any help to me : 9 epidurals,9 Acupuncture treatments,a trial for a pain stimulator and many medications.My pain is getting worse every day and I have an appointment on Thursday with the doctor who does laser therapy.People have been recommending topical creams to me but they have not worked.Today we bought something called Australian Cream.I will try this tomorrow.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Almost finished with Grisham’s new book, The Boys from Biloxi.

How was it?  I've read all of his books.

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 2009 I was discharged by a doctor who said there was nothing more he could do for me and he referred me to a Neurologist.Several years ago he wrote a book about Laser Therapy stating that 90% of his patients were helped by the therapy.I went back to him for a free consultation .He told me that neither Medicare nor any other health insurance covers what he does and the approximate charge for the treatments I would need was $1927.00.I spoke to my Pain Management doctor.His opinion was that it would be throwing out money.Everything that the Pain Management doctor did was not of any help to me : 9 epidurals,9 Acupuncture treatments,a trial for a pain stimulator and many medications.My pain is getting worse every day and I have an appointment on Thursday with the doctor who does laser therapy.People have been recommending topical creams to me but they have not worked.Today we bought something called Australian Cream.I will try this tomorrow.

Sorry to hear this Lenny.  You never said where your pain is.  Is it the result of surgery as mine is?

Finally able to get in to CC again... I couldn't even bring up the site yesterday.  

Tropical Storm Lisa is wreaking havoc on cruising this week.  Symphony stopped at Cozumel as planned today, but Roatan and Costa Maya have been cancelled.  Instead we're getting another sea day and Nassau.  (WOO HOO!...... note the sarcasm!)

Oh well, any day on a cruise ship is better than a day at home, I guess.  Hoping that Roatan and Costa Maya don't take too big of a hit from the storm this week.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

I use to love reading though last few years it more on my paperwhite kindle than actual books. But last couple of years even though I'm now retired I seem to read less and less books. Got into the habit of reading newspapers on line during covid and now addicted, probably not a good thing. 

I rejoined the local library recently, mainly so I could take the grandchildren but I find I'm not finishing one book in three weeks whereas years ago I would read several a week

Sharing your love of reading with your grandchildren is special and there are so many lovely picture books & childrens books out there.  Hope you eventually get your reading mojo back.

DH who reads the paper every day has stopped buying the newspaper now.  It’s all online for him now.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Thanks 1

@BonTexasNY So sorry to read that you are struggling and going backwards.  I sincerely hope things improve for you.

re:photos.  Although it’s a surprisingly chilly day here in Sydney today, we are heading into summer here and we have lots of weekend day walks on our list, , a week away in Nov, then December, then January and we have a NYE planned too, so hopefully my photos and everyone else’s here continue to be a distraction for you.

• Like 3

Bit of excitement at Taronga Zoo in Sydney this morning, five adult lions got out of their enclosure.  Zoo and surrounding suburb went into lockdown.  Thankfully lions were found within the zoo and returned safely to their enclosure with no injuries to them or any humans.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Sorry to hear this Lenny.  You never said where your pain is.  Is it the result of surgery as mine is?

Both feet are constantly numb giving me the feeling of falling.The pain is I my lower back and both legs.I have burning sensations In my toes and have had 37 falls.

• Like 1

I had a fun outing this afternoon. Andrew's beginner band class had a "Teach Your Parent to Play" event today. He is learning the French horn. He showed me what he is learning and even played a solo in class. Then he tried to show me how to play his horn. It was really fun to see him enjoying it so much. I loved band myself; I played mallet percussion because I already played piano. I actually majored in piano in college before switching to accounting. But I've never played a horn before.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, h20skibum said:

You would think they would have tested things out a little more to avoid these log in issues.

Don’t they know that old people hate change, and get easily annoyed?  

I worked in IT for most of career.  We would have been embarrassed by what I see here on CC and Royal.  The last 5 or so years I worked on a web based system.  We had various machines with all types of different browsers just to test new releases and ensure they all worked.  Remember a few releases where 1 wasn't tested appropriately, they were not fun days going into the big bosses letting them know the testers missed something,  rare but did happen.  

Tried getting in earlier and got all the fun messages.  Golfed this afternoon, or should I say chased a little white ball around a golf course, just back and things seem OK.  Hoping they stay that way.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Big TV night. Below Deck Adventure begins and then the After Show from Celebrity's Beyond with the captains from the series.

Didn't they air the first episode last week as a preview after the Down Under finale?  I didn't watch it last week, I am watching it now.

12 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Didn't they air the first episode last week as a preview after the Down Under finale?  I didn't watch it last week, I am watching it now.

If they did the first episode last week I must have gone to bed as I don't remember it. They have been doing Sailing Yacht repeats tonight leading up to the 9PM Adventure series.

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

If they did the first episode last week I must have gone to bed as I don't remember it. They have been doing Sailing Yacht repeats tonight leading up to the 9PM Adventure series.

The Down Under finale was on the program guide as two hours but the second hour was Below Deck Adventure.  That second hour aired at 10 pm last week.  We are watching it now and will see if it turns out to be the same thing that is showing tonight at 9pm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I enjoyed, not my favorite of his but still good.  It was a little sad at the end.  I have read everything he has published.  My son and I share the books.  I have all of them in a box up the attic that he will get.

Edited by DaniDanielle
  • Like 2