Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I'm cautiously excited. First cruise without DW, the only person I've ever cruised with (not counting the last one when her daughter joined us), but there will be a large enough group(s) of people to spread myself around & mingle with. And when I need to retreat to the sanctuary of my cabin to process the feelings I know I will have, I won't be impacting anyone else's enjoyment or leaving them high and dry.

It will definitely be different, but it is good that you have a group along on your return to cruising.  Wishing you a good cruise, and the start of many more.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is where we catch the Metro North RR to go into NYC.

Is that the train that runs along the Hudson, that I see when we go over the Tappan Zee?

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

also surprised him by booking a four night trip later this month to his favorite place - yep, Walt Disney World.  We fly down 6/24 and return 6/28, staying at Wilderness Lodge for the first time.  We are also flying Breeze Airlines for the first time, they had the best prices and flight times.  

What a great birthday win.  We will also be at Wilderness Lodge, but our stay is 8/5-8/12.  I have going crazy with everything required for Disney planning.  It used to be much easier.  

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Is that the train that runs along the Hudson, that I see when we go over the Tappan Zee?

There is a Metro North line that runs along the Hudson from upstate NY. However, the line I take runs from New Haven along the coast and into Manhattan on the east side at Harlem and then into Grand Central.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Ah, okay. Aug 2nd for me. No chance of crossing paths at the pier.  However.....(see below)

Where are you staying pre cruise?  We are on Utopia August 2 with our grandkids.   Staying at the Holiday Inn Express.  

• Like 1

Sharing our local wildlife.  Birds are camera shy but not this guy.  Had a lot of rain last night so the bowl was filled with water.  Do put seed in there at times until the squirrels find it.  Can get almost to the bowl when the squirrels are there before they leave.  Do have squirrel resistant feeders fortunately.

20240610_094654.thumb.jpg.f67eaccdd803b79789a397dba6e17730.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I feel like Johnny Cash today.  I’ve been everywhere, man. 

Unique seating in a portion of the Denver airport. 

IMG_1297.thumb.jpeg.36fe986b766123795f7e5bf75a7cf17c.jpeg

A use for old skis

IMG_1298.thumb.jpeg.0098bcca46e34a24808e9075c05e89d9.jpeg

And then…..

IMG_1301.thumb.jpeg.ac7c872bfd54178b9bb684c15aaba0ba.jpeg

The Golden Gate Bridge disappears into the fog. 

IMG_1302.thumb.jpeg.0698fff865bf668fb8f04892d93de2df.jpeg

I think that I have only seen clear skies around it a couple times, in all the trips we made here.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I just heard from the guy driving the 18 wheeler truck for delivery. He has a job in the  morning up in jacksonville and doesnt know how long it will take. And then me. Its forecast to rain.

A 18 wheeler is a lot bigger truck than came to pick me up. Hes saying if he cant park with 75 feet of the elevator a big add on and another $200 for the elevator. I was going to tip at least $200 for the elevator but just saying they specifically told me there was no extra charge for the elevator as long as they didnt have to use the stairs. So first a additional more than $1500 when they arrived to pick up, and now a extra charge if someone else is parked next to the elevator. On the other side is the elevator trailer idk if I can bribe them if necessary to park there. During the weekend it was completely empty on both sides now one side has a long trailer for the elevator company. Now it's a 18 wheeler coming and extra charge if he cant park right there close to the elevator and  o one else is deliveries or dropping off groceries. 

Praying it's not pouring rain. And I mean that sincerely, praying. Just when I got those boxes today and a night stand a neighbor was getting rid of. Solid wood. I can almost not lick it up it's so heavy. What I have coming is pretty darn heavy. 2 triple dressers both with  mirrors a 4 poster bed, a tall boy dresser. Sofa and arm chair I dont care if theh deliver or toss. I planned to replace them anyway as soon as I looked around. The mall is right close but just walking over there in the afternoon heat and humidity takes away my breath in the afternoons here. I told him I wish they could become here first in the morning before it gets so hot. 

Every time they do something they up the price. They for sure specifically said there wasnt a extra charge for the elevator. Now it's at least $200 more plus he me toned $75, maybe to park the 18 wheeler. I'd rate them a  inus 2 on communication.

Oh and remember I called in last week and the girl said she would tell them 48 hours  notice so I had plenty of time to tell them to pad the elevator? After hours tonight for tomorrow afternoon delivery isnt even 24 hours notice. I just left notice for the maintenance man. This is kinda like the email to empty all the drawers so then they fill all the wardrobe boxes with empty hangers and tee shirts that could easily have been in drawers. Movers said they didnt care if there was stuff in the drawers.  Minus 2 on communication imo is generous. 

Well seems like we have delivery scheduled for a rainy.day. if things arent totally melted and ruined I'll be happy. Like a large oil painting. I really had no idea my stuff woukd sit for weeks in the heat.. but delivery ..rain or not. Please let this go ok. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is where we catch the Metro North RR to go into NYC.

My Wife and her parents took her and her Brother many times on that train. Goes into Grand Central Station doesn't it?

When we lived in NJ we would take the River Line Train in Florence to Trenton, NJ and then switch trains  to the Northeast Corridor to ,Penn Station, NYC..........I have never been to Grand Central Station.

How far of a walk is it to Time Square from that station?

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Dodged a bullet today (not literally) as I was summoned for jury duty tomorrow. I was concerned in that I have my MRI with sedation this Friday and was worried about getting out of serving if it was a long trial. Luckily I got an email that I’ve been excused and there will be no jury selection tomorrow. Parties must have settled is what Linda thinks.

Installed some more low voltage flaming tiki lights along our hosta bed. Tiki patio is almost done and I will post some pictures. I was feeling pretty good about my tiki patio until I saw this video from a FB group I belong to called backyard tiki bars. Check out this setup.

Really nice, looks like a lot of work, but my question is wonder what happens when a really windy wild storm comes rolling into your back yard.

We get some really nasty heavy hard blowing storms here. It would be alot of work over and over again remaking it I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Really nice, looks like a lot of work, but my question is wonder what happens when a really windy wild storm comes rolling into your back yard.

We get some really nasty heavy hard blowing storms here. It would be alot of work over and over again remaking it I think.

Thats what I wondered too and I posed that question to him. I have yet to hear a reply. He did say in another video that he tries to weatherproof a lot of it. And something’s he stores during the winter. I assume he lives more in a stable climate area. Something like that would never survive the weather here in the Midwest.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Happy to read you’ve found a way to get back to cruising that you feel comfortable with.  Does this mean we might meet you on one of the Bella cruises? 

Yesteday was Andy’s birthday, the big 6-0.  We weren’t able to plan any kind of trip over his birthday weekend due to Jessica’s due date being so close.  We ended up just booking a night at Foxwoods, free with his loyalty card.  They also gave him $150 to use during his birthday month which we used to pay for a nice dinner in their steakhouse.  There was about $25 left if that $150 which he put into a slot machine.  Then this happened:

IMG_2015.thumb.jpeg.09d5a9e08766ec2dcc26743637f944da.jpeg

A pretty nice birthday weekend I’d say!

I also surprised him by booking a four night trip later this month to his favorite place - yep, Walt Disney World.  We fly down 6/24 and return 6/28, staying at Wilderness Lodge for the first time.  We are also flying Breeze Airlines for the first time, they had the best prices and flight times.  

Happy Birthday to Andy and Congratulations on the win! Great birthday present!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

What a great birthday win.  We will also be at Wilderness Lodge, but our stay is 8/5-8/12.  I have going crazy with everything required for Disney planning.  It used to be much easier.  

You’re right, it was so much easier ‘back in the day’.  The amount of planning required now is crazy.  It’s not bad for just the two of us, but when we have the whole family I let my oldest handle all the reservations.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

My Wife and her parents took her and her Brother many times on that train. Goes into Grand Central Station doesn't it?

When we lived in NJ we would take the River Line Train in Florence to Trenton, NJ and then switch trains  to the Northeast Corridor to ,Penn Station, NYC..........I have never been to Grand Central Station.

How far of a walk is it to Time Square from that station?

About 10-15 minute walk from Grand Central to Time Square. You can also catch the "S" subway that runs back and forth between GCT and Time Square.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

You’re right, it was so much easier ‘back in the day’.  The amount of planning required now is crazy.  It’s not bad for just the two of us, but when we have the whole family I let my oldest handle all the reservations.  

Yeah, I had my plan to book dining reservations, and the order I wanted to visit each park.  That got blown up pretty quick, when good times for some of the places were already gone. 

We did get all the places booked where we wanted to eat, but now I have to revise our park order.  Next will be trying to book those popular rides.  At least we have the hopper every day.  

• Like 3

Your East Coast trains sound much more efficient than our trains. We have thought about taking the train to Sacramento or Lake Tahoe, but never have. You can't leave your car at many of the stations, because it will be stolen. The station in our city is not even manned. There is a gazebo and a ticketing machine that takes credit cards. I drove down there once, just out of curiosity. ☺️ We do take BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) over to San Francisco, once in a blue moon. It has become so grody, that we haven't, for the last few years.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Happy to read you’ve found a way to get back to cruising that you feel comfortable with.  Does this mean we might meet you on one of the Bella cruises? 

Yesteday was Andy’s birthday, the big 6-0.  We weren’t able to plan any kind of trip over his birthday weekend due to Jessica’s due date being so close.  We ended up just booking a night at Foxwoods, free with his loyalty card.  They also gave him $150 to use during his birthday month which we used to pay for a nice dinner in their steakhouse.  There was about $25 left if that $150 which he put into a slot machine.  Then this happened:

IMG_2015.thumb.jpeg.09d5a9e08766ec2dcc26743637f944da.jpeg

A pretty nice birthday weekend I’d say!

I also surprised him by booking a four night trip later this month to his favorite place - yep, Walt Disney World.  We fly down 6/24 and return 6/28, staying at Wilderness Lodge for the first time.  We are also flying Breeze Airlines for the first time, they had the best prices and flight times.  

Nice win!   Happy Birthday Andy🥳🍹

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

It was fun but by the end of the day I was ready to come home. I can only deal with all the people for just so long.

I am a bit older and the older I get the less I want to do with at least some people. I hit 75 in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, George C said:

I am a bit older and the older I get the less I want to do with at least some people. I hit 75 in a couple of weeks. 

And that is why I work with animals.  Lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

Bad day at work.  We had a girl coming into work with her Grandson this morning.  Schools done last week in our area.  

She was carrying a whole watermelon and her lunch bag and somehow lost her footing in the driveway (which is sloped).  Her Grandson said she slid a couple of feet (flip flops on probably didn't help).

She called me crying for help that she was in parking lot and couldn't get up.  Her Grandson looked really scared so another lady helped calm him down while we got her inside and put ice on ankle as that was starting to swell up

She refused to go to hospital but finally agreed to go to an urgent care for x-rays.   My boss drove her and Yup she has a fractured fibula up towards the knee and a sprained ankle.   

She has an appt for ortho doc tomorrow.   I feel so bad for her.   Horrible to see someone in that much pain.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

BTW a friend of mine has a house on LBI.  @Sunshine3601 Debbie doesn't know them.  I won't post their last name but they're Stacie and Ken from Rockland County; 3 children, grown now with kids of their own.  She's an interior designer, he had or has a furniture business.  I think they're in their 60s. That's all I'm willing to post. 🤐

Hey, I know them. They over-charged me for some work. 😅

Just kidding, I don't know them either.

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

There is a Metro North line that runs along the Hudson from upstate NY. However, the line I take runs from New Haven along the coast and into Manhattan on the east side at Harlem and then into Grand Central.

That's the train I take when going into the city.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Where are you staying pre cruise?  We are on Utopia August 2 with our grandkids.   Staying at the Holiday Inn Express.  

As of right now, the plan is to fly down July 31 & spend two night at a friends house, who are also on the cruise. They live about 35 minutes away from the port, Palm Bay.

• Like 7

Upon the recommendation here we watched the Netflix movie "Hitman." It was really good and fun. A few twists and turns I did not expect. Highly recommend this one.

• Like 4