Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, singinalot said:

had a fun week of car issues: both sets of brake pads replaced, headlights replaced, full synthetic oil change...

As my (step) mother’s day gift, Nate paid for a purse I really liked and for my hair appointment today. Felt like a new  person until I got home to the teenager hormones. 🤣

Nate got his car re-wrapped, too. We really like it. They did a great job with the details and brand symbols.

Tomorrow I will drive up to Denver, pick up my mom, and head to the little town of Evergreen. Many a Hallmark movie have been filmed there. We plan to eat lunch at a local winery. Oh, and it’s supposed to be 40F and snowing. 👎🏻

Happy Mother’s Day tomorrow to all those who celebrate.

FB8834BA-F47B-404F-9268-92FBC467943D.jpeg

Happy Mothers Day to you and all mums/step mums

Here in UK we are out of step with most of the world, our Mothers Day is in March and comes from Mothering Sunday.

It's always on a Sunday and historically from a time when working girls in service could have a day off to visit their mother.  It is also linked historically to the 'mother church'

My friends who's mum's lived in countries which celebrated Mothers Day in May always had to buy their cards in March as it is the only time the cards are in the shops over here. 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, grapau27 said:

In the late 1980s up to mid 1990 I used to watch all the travel holiday programs on UK TV and it showed Santorini and the sunsets on one of the programs and it was amazing seeing everyone sitting looking out over the Aegean sea at the Sunsets from Santorini's hillside.

We were in the islands for a month.  Never even considered taking a guide book. 

Two possible explanations.

1.  We were there just before tourism started getting so ‘big’

2.  We were only interested in retsina and dancing.  

My friend ended up marrying the Greek man she met up with there.  It all worked out.  

• Like 5

Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms on here. Maybe you have a restful day, to which you are pampered as best as possible.

The two grandmothers came over yesterday for our circle of 5 Mother’s Day meal.  I brought home takeout for everyone. By doing this there were two early gifts for Lisa with that; first she didn’t have to cook and the second she doesn’t have to see my mom today. A good start for today. 😁

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, singinalot said:

Happy Mother’s Day tomorrow to all those who celebrate.

Hope you have a great day with your mom, snow or no snow.   Sounds like the lead up so far has been good, other than the teenage hormones. 👍

So I am sure everyone knows how mothers day came to be.

Well I googled it and here in summation is it.

Year ago, when Pilgrims first settled in a new land, they met many new people,

some friendly, others not so.

They were independent people and wish to harm no one.

But they had to eat.

As winter was approaching and  on the horizon they had to hurry and stock up on their supplies to make it through the winter, since obtaining fish/seafood would be come to treacherous.

As they loaded up their "matchlocks"

They would hunt the woods in search of wild game, and shoot anything with 4 legs on ground and also birds of game.

They killed squirrels, raccoons, Opossum, geese, ducks and on and on and on.

But they would not kill deer.

Why?

Because deer mate in December and bear their young in the spring before May.

So to make a long story longer..................

All Doe had their fawn by early May, so the Pilgrims dedicated the second Sunday in May to Mothers  in tribute to new life.

♥️

♥️

♥️

♥️

♥️

♥️

♥️

♥️

♥️

Ok now for the meaning of gullible (One who is easily persuaded to belief something not true)

That was a good fib.

Mothers day was first celebrated in 1905 when Anna Jarvis wanted a way to honor her mother for all the sacrifices she made for her children.

To all who are mothers in any way, this is your day.

Thank you for what you have done and continue to do.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY.

Edited by Lionesss
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Many years ago my wife and I toured cities in Texas beginning with the letter A.One of our stops was in Amarillo .We liked it but that was over 50 years ago,it may have changed.

Bayonne,NJ was a city that nobody ever wanted to be in but because of the cruise port it now is getting to be nice.

Areas in Brooklyn that I never would have set foot in are now places that people love to go to.

Growing up in Manhattan, nobody would have thought of living in the area South of Houston, Soho. It was comprised of dirty warehouses.  Tribeca, too, was undesirable. My, have times changed.

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms!

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Anyone with a pool will appreciate this, new filters installed today. Rinsed the old ones and stored them for just is case. Also replaced some o-rings. 

817EEDCA-7A92-42F9-AE10-0B7A1EAAB116.thumb.jpeg.e8e94a092faeed709d7d32032f9e3ccf.jpeg

This looks like our exact Sta-Rite filter in our Ohio pool, and exact Sta-Rite heater in the background.  It's been years since I've seen the filter cartridges look that white!  I too prefer this design over DE and backflushing.  Our pool is strangely shaped and has a rock waterfall, so it's not covered in the winter.  We drain it down to about a foot of water left...just enough to keep the concrete shell from lifting up out of the ground.  It nearly refills during the winter from rain and snow.  Every spring, our pool company drains the dirty water, scrubs the pool walls and bottom, and fills with new water.  I usually need to pull out the filter cartridges about a month after opening the pool and hose them down.  Other than that, no other maintenance needed. 

When our pool company closes our pool at the end of the year, they thoroughly clean the cartridges in some sort of bath and store them at their shop.  They are then almost like new (but not that white) each spring.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Growing up in Manhattan, nobody would have thought of living in the area South of Houston, Soho. It was comprised of dirty warehouses.  Tribeca, too, was undesirable. My, have times changed.

The transformation of Manhattan has been pretty impressive. Remember what the area around 42nd street used to be like? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

House I grew up in was a brownstone in a so so neighborhood in Brooklyn that had 3 apartments sold for about 50k in 1970 is now worth a million. I call my 95 year old mom daily, she lives in Denver.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Anyone with a pool will appreciate this, new filters installed today. 

15 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

When our pool company closes our pool at the end of the year, they thoroughly clean the cartridges in some sort of bath and store them at their shop.  They are then almost like new (but not that white) each spring.  

You both should just invest in a maintenance free pool like mine.😊

FB_IMG_1598914417640.jpg.209e0285dbf961003e5faa5a7353ca28.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It's good for swimming laps.😄

What's the temperature now🤔

Just over 80 down here, not that I swim anymore

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

Happy Mothers Day to all the mom's out there. I wish my mom was still alive. I do miss her dearly. We will still celebrate today with a nice steak dinner cooked at home. Cheers to all.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Happy Mothers Day to all the mom's out there. I wish my mom was still alive. I do miss her dearly. We will still celebrate today with a nice steak dinner cooked at home. Cheers to all.

That is exactly my plan today.  Grilling steaks for my wife, daughter and her husband, and the two grandkids here.  Looks like I will be doing that in the rain.

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers out there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1