You are entitled to a refund for your canceled flight — even if the airline says you aren’t

clo

1 minute ago, clo said:

We have a FCC on Hurtigruten good through 2021. That would be nice.

We've got a B2B cruise booked for March 2021 with RC and another September 2021 cruise booked with Celebrity. Or at least I hope we do. 🤞

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

We've got a B2B cruise booked for March 2021 with RC and another September 2021 cruise booked with Celebrity. Or at least I hope we do. 🤞

And toes 🙂

And for us, this is likely going to affect all travel. Our daughter reminded us that even driving somewhere could carry the virus to an area that doesn't have adequate emergency health resources.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We also have a Celebrity cruise booked for September. Hopefully it's ago. We'll just wait and let Celebrity decide for us whether or not we are going. If they Cancel the cruise we'll take the refund again. 

As far as your September cruise, based on my rolls of the dice you are a certainty, Dave.  I'm still holding onto a July 1 and an August 16.  Feel rather certain on the Aug and pretty good on the July.  But my fallback is that the FCC that would be issued for July if cancelled can be rolled into the Aug towards final payment, which is May 18.  Would think the July would be decided by then. And if by some worst case scenario they both should be canceled, then I would apply both to a planned NYE cruise.

And I say I'm not a gambling man....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Getting back to the title of this thread, is there an airline out there that is refusing a refund after a flight is cancelled or is this just more internet baloney?  

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

We also have a Celebrity cruise booked for September. Hopefully it's ago. We'll just wait and let Celebrity decide for us whether or not we are going. If they Cancel the cruise we'll take the refund again. 

We also have a September Celebrity cruise complimenting a land trip.   We haven't taken any action because the drop dead date is in June.   If Celebrity doesn't pull the plug, I think we will likely cancel in June.  And hopefully we get a material change that will allow us to cancel flights or even a credit offer for rebooking the airfares.  I don't know, maybe things will change but at this point my heart just isn't in it.  

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

Getting back to the title of this thread, is there an airline out there that is refusing a refund after a flight is cancelled or is this just more internet baloney?  

Not internet baloney at all.

At least some were attempting to do that until DOT slapped them upside the head.

Edited by njhorseman

13 hours ago, clo said:

From what I've read non-US airlines that fly to/from the US are governed by DOT.

Only in certain aspects.

They have to meet certain safety standards.  But not to the level of US airlines.

37 minutes ago, SRF said:

Only in certain aspects.

They have to meet certain safety standards.  But not to the level of US airlines.

I should have been precise. I meant regarding refunds when they cancel flights.

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

We also have a September Celebrity cruise complimenting a land trip.   We haven't taken any action because the drop dead date is in June.   If Celebrity doesn't pull the plug, I think we will likely cancel in June.  And hopefully we get a material change that will allow us to cancel flights or even a credit offer for rebooking the airfares.  I don't know, maybe things will change but at this point my heart just isn't in it.  

We've also got a land trip planned for June which requires flying. Also two other land trips for July and August that don't require flying. Taking it a day at at time and knowing our windows for cancelling all accommodations without paying cancellation fees.  

14 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As far as your September cruise, based on my rolls of the dice you are a certainty, Dave.  I'm still holding onto a July 1 and an August 16.  Feel rather certain on the Aug and pretty good on the July.  But my fallback is that the FCC that would be issued for July if cancelled can be rolled into the Aug towards final payment, which is May 18.  Would think the July would be decided by then. And if by some worst case scenario they both should be canceled, then I would apply both to a planned NYE cruise.

And I say I'm not a gambling man....

Mike, we aren't gamblers either. But I like your thinking. Agree, just to wait it out and not pull the plug for that cruise or our other summer trips. My glass is half full and I'm still wearing my rose colored glasses. 😉  

9 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Mike, we aren't gamblers either. But I like your thinking. Agree, just to wait it out and not pull the plug for that cruise or our other summer trips. My glass is half full and I'm still wearing my rose colored glasses. 😉  

Whereas my vision is focused on next spring. Maybe.

7 minutes ago, clo said:

Whereas my vision is focused on next spring. Maybe.

We've got 2021 all planned out also. Three are cruises that are booked. Doesn't hurt to plan, and now hope for traveling again. We don't live in a bubble, but we don't have our heads buried in the sand either. We've got two Jetblue tickets (etickets) good until March 2021 form our cancelled March and April cruises. 

19 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We've got 2021 all planned out also. Three are cruises that are booked. Doesn't hurt to plan, and now hope for traveling again. We don't live in a bubble, but we don't have our heads buried in the sand either. We've got two Jetblue tickets (etickets) good until March 2021 form our cancelled March and April cruises. 

IF there's an FDA approved vaccine we'll start to look at travel via plane or ship. If there's not, we won't.

17 hours ago, clo said:

We've flown with them twice previously and really liked them but yes have been aware of their financial status. But they had secured some more money and then this. I don't think they'll make it this time. Sent in my claim and got an acknowledgment so we'll see. If they don't refund and go under I guess we'll join the list of unsecured creditors.

If you paid with a credit card you get the charge reversed.  The unsecured creditors are the ones who paid with debit cards, cash, or check.  Which is why future services should always be paid for with a credit card, financial 'gurus' notwithstanding, IMO.

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

I prefer your way of thinking as well over doom an gloom.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

If you paid with a credit card you get the charge reversed.  The unsecured creditors are the ones who paid with debit cards, cash, or check.  Which is why future services should always be paid for with a credit card, financial 'gurus' notwithstanding, IMO.

Sheesh, I could have sworn I replied to you. Anyway, yes, I knew that. Was having a senior moment I suppose. So much is happening and the least of it is leisure travel. So thanks.

12 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

That's generally true because the credit card companies will get the money back from whoever acquires the bankrupt company's assets; but it is not true if the bankrupt company has zero assets.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

On 4/6/2020 at 3:48 AM, njhorseman said:

Not internet baloney at all.

At least some were attempting to do that until DOT slapped them upside the head.

I honestly didn't think this could be true.  Yesterday I saw one airline's communication trying to avoid refunds.  

Shaking my head now.  

38 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I honestly didn't think this could be true.  Yesterday I saw one airline's communication trying to avoid refunds.  

Shaking my head now.  

Ditto. I got a "mass mailing" from Norwegian Air still pushing the future travel credit. Not saying you can't get a refund but not mentioning it. I already have a refund request with them that has been acknowledged.

10 minutes ago, clo said:

Ditto. I got a "mass mailing" from Norwegian Air still pushing the future travel credit. Not saying you can't get a refund but not mentioning it. I already have a refund request with them that has been acknowledged.

The messages I have received from them were pretty clear that there is a choice between refund or credit, which I think they call "cash points".  But, I've not had a flight cancelled by them since the pandemic.    

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

The messages I have received from them were pretty clear that there is a choice between refund or credit, which I think they call "cash points".  But, I've not had a flight cancelled by them since the pandemic.    

OT, have you flown with them? We just love their premium 'class.' But we also love the Dreamliner. Sigh.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

OT, have you flown with them? We just love their premium 'class.' But we also love the Dreamliner. Sigh.

Yes, many times.  I was really sorry when they moved out of Oakland.   

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yes, many times.  I was really sorry when they moved out of Oakland.   

We flew them once out OAK ( that lounge was great!) and once out of SEA.

10 hours ago, clo said:

I wish we had taken advantage of Norwegian Air flights from Stewart (Newburg, NY about 40 miles from us). They had real inexpensive flights to Ireland and Scotland. They actually first cut down on the number of flights and then left totally well before this present crisis.