What are we doing about HAIRCUTS?!!!!!!

pcur

I jgave Hubby a hair cut in our campsite in southern Oregon this morning before pulling out and heading south. 
We had no internet for 2 1/2 days. No TV. No cell voice service, just intermittent texting. It was a nice break from the world! 

• Like 2

OP here:

I just gave my husband and I are 5th covid haircut.  I still can't master the sides for him, because he wants a #3 clipper guard, and I can't blend the longer hair right.  It looks OK.  The top looks really good, because I use my "porcupine" technique.  

My hair is so forgiving, and says, "Yes, Peggy, you may cut me and I will do my best to look good for you".  I do the top and sides (#4 guard) myself, and then my husband mows me in the back.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh, LORD!  My 6th haircut was a disaster in back!! 

I clip the sides, and then hubby clips the bottom in the back, and does decently.  Well, this time he....well....I have a little "scalped" area mid-bottom in the back.  

I sent a picture to the whole family and close (very close) friends, and they all came back with the same exact response:  "Oh, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!"

My husband is agonizingly apologetic, and rubbing minoxidil on that spot every day!  hahahahaha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I get my next styling on Thursday.  I'm not totally sure about the red streaks we put in last time.  We didn't bleach, but put the maroon overtop my hair.  Out in the light, it shows up.  I'm just used to my blonde summer streaks, I guess.  Back about 20 years ago, we did bleach and then put in "stop light red" streaks which was fun.  But my hair is fragile enough now that we don't want to chance the bleaching.  So, I may just live with the red, just to have something fun in there.  I have to have something to break up the brown!  

I haven't done anything other than washing my hair - just letting it go freestyle.  It will look OK the first couple of hours, but the lack of humidity just kills it.  I may have to buy another spray bottle to re-wet it every day.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm getting a trim on Saturday; I realized it's been about 11 weeks since I last got it cut -- not terrible compared with this Spring, but it's starting to look and feel unmanageable...

I have a cut on Saturday too.

I just got a text from my stylist:  she has to cancel tomorrow.  She has a umbilical hernia (just discovered today).   She has some people she refer me to if I need it.  I told her I can hold off - it's not like I'm going anywhere soon where I'd need my "skunk stripe" redone.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I just got a text from my stylist:  she has to cancel tomorrow.  She has a umbilical hernia (just discovered today).   She has some people she refer me to if I need it.  I told her I can hold off - it's not like I'm going anywhere soon where I'd need my "skunk stripe" redone.  

If she’s going to have surgery she’ll be out awhile. My ventral wall hernia is sometimes called an umbilical hernia 

7 hours ago, awhfy said:

If she’s going to have surgery she’ll be out awhile. My ventral wall hernia is sometimes called an umbilical hernia 

Yeah.  I feel for her.  Maybe her hubby can take some time and do some mellow camping and take care of her.  They have a very cool off-road mini pull camper trailer.  she should just relax.  Both of us are having our camping plans blown up.  
She's had a rough road for awhile.  
She has an autoimmune disorder for decades, and it has given her arthritis.  Living on Humera. 

Last year, she had to have surgery for breast cancer.  

The only thing I need is my skunk stripe.  No cutting this time.  So, I can pull out the spray can and give it a shot of color on the stripe if I need to.  Or, I can wear a Buff or hat everywhere.  

The two of us always say we're just two sad sacks.  It was my shingles and retina that we talked about, now it's her hernia.  

• Like 1

I think when my stylist is back, I'm going ask to get my hair dyed like Billie Eilish!!!   (no, I'm not that bold).  Never knew who she was, but, gosh, that is a dye job!!!   I probably would never knew except for her appearance on the DNC convention...

15 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I think when my stylist is back, I'm going ask to get my hair dyed like Billie Eilish!!!   (no, I'm not that bold).  Never knew who she was, but, gosh, that is a dye job!!!   I probably would never knew except for her appearance on the DNC convention...

After Women's World Cup last year I had my hair colored hot pink in honor of Megan Rapinoe. Go for it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

My hair is now short, happy and in place!

No color, nothing exciting. Just happy I don't have to fight with it for the next few weeks... :classic_biggrin:

Except for this past spring, I get my hair cut every six weeks and highlighted every other haircut so about every three months. Because it's highlighting and not all over color it's completely no maintenance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 12:15 PM, geocruiser said:

I just might cut mine myself this week.  My last cut was January.

WE cut my hair today.  It came out very good.  I have super curly hair. and I wear it short and curly.  I was a hair dresser for many years.    What we did, my DH and I was I held the hair between my fingers in the right position and he cut the hair off.  The back was a little harder to hold for me.  But I was able to get the lines straight.   I came out really great.  My HD did a great job!!!

• Like 4

On 7/8/2020 at 8:25 AM, shipgeeks said:

Interesting development!  We have discovered that DH is NOT bald on top!

He usually get his hair cut quite short.  For several years it seemed that he had virtually no hair on the top of his head.  Now that it has all grown out a couple of inches, we can see that he does, in fact, have hair.  Not a 6-strand comb-over, but a genuine amount of hair which, when combed, looks just fine.  Who would have thought?

A hair stylist once told me that cowlicks are frequently mistaken for bald spots.  I thought I had one on the top back of my head, and she said I actually had a "very stubborn cowlick".  She had to leave that area longer so the hair would lay flatter.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 9:44 AM, geocruiser said:

WE cut my hair today.  It came out very good.  I have super curly hair. and I wear it short and curly.  I was a hair dresser for many years.    What we did, my DH and I was I held the hair between my fingers in the right position and he cut the hair off.  The back was a little harder to hold for me.  But I was able to get the lines straight.   I came out really great.  My HD did a great job!!!

I'm going to try this with my husband.  The back of my hair is looking like somewhere between a large bubble and a mullet.  If I start him at the right length, and do what you do, hopefully he won't panic.  After the "oops" incident last month, he's pretty skittish.

On 9/16/2020 at 1:12 PM, pcur said:

I'm going to try this with my husband.  The back of my hair is looking like somewhere between a large bubble and a mullet.  If I start him at the right length, and do what you do, hopefully he won't panic.  After the "oops" incident last month, he's pretty skittish.

Let me know how it works out.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 10:08 AM, pcur said:

A hair stylist once told me that cowlicks are frequently mistaken for bald spots.  I thought I had one on the top back of my head, and she said I actually had a "very stubborn cowlick".  She had to leave that area longer so the hair would lay flatter.

I think you are me, Peggy, although I have THREE cowlicks and the other front quarter defined by a surgical scar. I can either keep it so short they don't touch, or grow it out so the weight of the hair tames the swirls. I am currently between the two extremes and my head looks like a graying lump of dough! 

As far as the answer to the original question, we could not find the Oster clipper we used to use on each other and good names in clippers were not to be found in the earlier days of the pandemic, so we paid an inflated price for one called "Quick Cut". That didn't have my husband's preferred #3 guide!

Back in October in a little lull in the numbers, we had our hairs cut at the barber. And my husband found a complete set of combs/guides on line. So I've given him two cuts since then and he just cut me all over at one inch so my short layers can catch up with the longer. I will not last when it gets hot, but I'm seeing what it looks like a little longer, if I can get past the lump of dough stage.