Now for something completely different

17 minutes ago, possum52 said:

It’s the opposite in a fair chunk of Australia at the moment Lyle except for those who are lucky enough to live or be holidaying in the northern parts of the country.

Around zero overnight in many parts of Victoria and NSW. In Vic temps not rising much above 12-13.

Our Canberra forecast is -6 tonight, possibly lower🥶. Stay in Cairns, Leigh.  The upside is great snow in the mountains.  Our family members are all skiers, so very happy.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We actually boarded a ship today - well an old fishing boat where we had lunch in Cairns Marina. It was even rocking a little! 

D613D322-5CFE-400D-8D1B-087B32AEFB3A.jpeg

166CE476-5385-4EE3-9512-D2C0403D6D3D.jpeg

Looks delicious…I’m drooling.  I’ve just been speaking to my brother, who’s lived in Cairns for decades.  He says they’ve gone from very hot to very cold (probably temperate for us Southerners).  You’re obviously enjoying your tropical break.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Looks delicious…I’m drooling.  I’ve just been speaking to my brother, who’s lived in Cairns for decades.  He says they’ve gone from very hot to very cold (probably temperate for us Southerners).  You’re obviously enjoying your tropical break.

Yes we are thanks Linda. It has been quite breezy the past couple of days and does feel cool at times. We’ve noticed a fair few wearing jumpers and even jackets particularly in the evening. To us southerners, it is just wonderful to have some warmth. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Popsicles, Freezies and ice cream are all very popular around here just now. Not to mention the Tim Horton's Iced Cap or any number of variations of Iced Tea add some Pimm's #1 to that iced tea and it's a lovely cool down.

You may have heard we are having a bit of a heat wave around here. We are experiencing high 20s to low 30s, that is here on Vancouver Island, other parts of the province are pushing 40. I know small  change to many in OZ but this is the great white north after all 😟

Cycles of our beautiful blue planet, Lyle;  ebbing and flowing to nature’s rhythm.   To bring you up to speed, the “serenity”, “pool room” and “he’s dreaming” are treasured quotes from an iconic Aussie film, “The Castle”.  Lost in translation, but if you can download it somehow,  you’ll get a hint of dry, laconic Aussie cultural larrikinism.  Not refined by any means, but decades after the movie’s release, we still quote the quips.  Another film like that us “Muriel’s Wedding”.  I can recommend them both.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Cycles of our beautiful blue planet, Lyle;  ebbing and flowing to nature’s rhythm.   To bring you up to speed, the “serenity”, “pool room” and “he’s dreaming” are treasured quotes from an iconic Aussie film, “The Castle”.  Lost in translation, but if you can download it somehow,  you’ll get a hint of dry, laconic Aussie cultural larrikinism.  Not refined by any means, but decades after the movie’s release, we still quote the quips.  Another film like that us “Muriel’s Wedding”.  I can recommend them both.  

Yes, but how many can say they have used “Ut’s the vibe of the thing” in Court and had the Judge agree

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pacific Explorer overnighted in Cairns and we heard her horn blasting as she sailed out at 5.30pm this afternoon. Our apartment is 1.4 km north of the cruise terminal and the sound of the horn was really quite loud.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 2

Those prawns look delicious Leigh, I'm envious. We can get fresh spot prawns in season here, they are very tasty but quite tricky to cook properly. just a few seconds too long and the texture gets unpleasant.

It's interesting to hear you guys talking about "southerners" finding it pleasantly warm in the north during winter.

It sounds like you have similar winter weather in Canberra as we do in Victoria Mic. One of the reasons we love our Victoria is because we have the most moderate temperatures in Canada. Not too hot in summer (usually) or cold n the winter -6 is about as cold as it gets here. Of course I will be whining about that when winter comes and all my Ozzie friends are are looking for a cool breeze, or air conditioning and of course the cold treats that you enjoy down under.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Those prawns look delicious Leigh, I'm envious. We can get fresh spot prawns in season here, they are very tasty but quite tricky to cook properly. just a few seconds too long and the texture gets unpleasant.

It's interesting to hear you guys talking about "southerners" finding it pleasantly warm in the north during winter.

It sounds like you have similar winter weather in Canberra as we do in Victoria Mic. One of the reasons we love our Victoria is because we have the most moderate temperatures in Canada. Not too hot in summer (usually) or cold n the winter -6 is about as cold as it gets here. Of course I will be whining about that when winter comes and all my Ozzie friends are are looking for a cool breeze, or air conditioning and of course the cold treats that you enjoy down under.

Minus 6C in Canberra overnight young Lyle. Zero where I am, coldest winter for many years.

Hot meat 🥧 weather..with horse of course.

hayden-s-pies.jpg.02676d3a8bb3ec18ea6920c26e7a9d4b.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

Just now, NSWP said:

Minus 6C in Canberra overnight young Lyle. Zero where I am, coldest winter for many years.

Cold and rainy today, this morning it was just cold, lucky I was running around. Back into the warmth for the afternoon now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Hot meat 🥧 weather..with horse of course.

hayden-s-pies.jpg.02676d3a8bb3ec18ea6920c26e7a9d4b.jpg

It is grilling weather here Les, cooking outside doesn't add extra heat inside. I had a fabulous New York steak 32mm thick, nicely marbled and a bargain at $28.00 per kilo. Lynn had a nice Sockeye Salmon fillet. Served up with potato salad. We had supper outside on our porch, there was a nice breeze and no construction noise.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

It is grilling weather here Les, cooking outside doesn't add extra heat inside. I had a fabulous New York steak 32mm thick, nicely marbled and a bargain at $28.00 per kilo. Lynn had a nice Sockeye Salmon fillet. Served up with potato salad. We had supper outside on our porch, there was a nice breeze and no construction noise.

There was an interesting segment on lamb marbling on Landline on ABC today - lambpro.com.au.  The meat is selling for up to $100 per kilo, it is so much in demand by connoisseurs of lamb.  I could see you buying it for a special occasion. 

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

There was an interesting segment on lamb marbling on Landline on ABC today - lambpro.com.au.  The meat is selling for up to $100 per kilo, it is so much in demand by connoisseurs of lamb.  I could see you buying it for a special occasion. 

Lynn enjoys lamb from time to time, I prefer Beef. I would have a real hard time justifying $100.00 per KG for any meat. I think the most I have ever paid was about $64.00 per KG for some prime Rib Eye it was heavily marbled and just so tasty.

When we finally get down under we will be trying lamb in New Zealand and in Oz, I will try Australian Beef when we are there as well. We are able to get Australian beef and New Zealand lamb here and we have tried it but for some reason we prefer the Canadian raised product. We will come with an open mind, just because it is different to us doesn't mean it can't be good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lynn enjoys lamb from time to time, I prefer Beef. I would have a real hard time justifying $100.00 per KG for any meat. I think the most I have ever paid was about $64.00 per KG for some prime Rib Eye it was heavily marbled and just so tasty.

When we finally get down under we will be trying lamb in New Zealand and in Oz, I will try Australian Beef when we are there as well. We are able to get Australian beef and New Zealand lamb here and we have tried it but for some reason we prefer the Canadian raised product. We will come with an open mind, just because it is different to us doesn't mean it can't be good.

French trimmed lamb cutlets weigh less than beef.  When we swapped a house in London for three months, we were surprised how expensive meat was. Being big meat eaters, I was pleased to see a side of NZ lamb on special..  Only problem on taking it home, I discovered the house only had a bar fridge.  We ate lamb every day.  Fortunately they had a pressure cooker for the cheaper cuts.

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yum -  Lamb roast, my favourite, is becoming a special treat.  I cooked a roast chicken which was less then $5 per kilo.

A family gathering last night, so way beyond the normal Sunday evening expenditure.  I cooked what has now become a favourite family recipe for special occasions:  marinated and trussed fillet of beef, roasted for 4 hours at only 70c.  It must be rested for at least 20 mins, sliced, then enjoyed as the most succulent and delicate treat.  Double cooked roasted lemon and rosemary potatoes, tossed green leaf salad with a light balsamic dressing.  

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

A family gathering last night, so way beyond the normal Sunday evening expenditure.  I cooked what has now become a favourite family recipe for special occasions:  marinated and trussed fillet of beef, roasted for 4 hours at only 70c.  It must be rested for at least 20 mins, sliced, then enjoyed as the most succulent and delicate treat.  Double cooked roasted lemon and rosemary potatoes, tossed green leaf salad with a light balsamic dressing.  

Sounds delicious.  70c per ?

44 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Yum! Please can I come to your place next time you make this? 😊

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yum! Please can I come to your place next time you make this? 😊

Absolutely!  It would be our pleasure🥰. I forgot to add the port and orange jus (fancy name these days for anything liquid🤣).

Bring  750mls of port (economical tawny is fine) and 1 small glass orange juice to a simmer, reduce heat as much as possible, and let simmer very slowly till reduced.  Takes at least an hour, maybe two.  Be careful because it will thicken rapidly at the end.  If too thick, loosen with a few drops of orange juice.  Serve in a sauce boat to accompany beef.  It creates a beautiful perfume through the house as it simmers.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sounds delicious.  70c per ?

70 deg centigrade.  Sounds ridiculous I know, but it delivers an exquisite, rare, fillet of beef.  For those preferring med-rare, roast a little longer.  Properly rested, the juices will be absorbed back into the meat, and it will set beautifully, ready for slicing thickly.

• Like 1