Now for something completely different

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have been hearing the results on the radio (yes I listen to the radio at work) but haven't been watching the games. Frankly there hasn't been much fanfare on the TV about it.

Usually, for us, the Commonwealth Games are a mild attraction, nowhere near that of the Olympics.  This time, however, the coverage and commentary are great (Ian Thorpe particularly) and we're really following it.  The only negative, and it's a biggie, is that the time difference means most of the finals are held during our sleeping hours.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Getting hammered again on Far South Coast of NSW with strong wind gusts and rain, in for the day I reckon.

Here in Canberra too, Les.  I hardly slept last night with the rolling thunder on and off.  I thought of switching on the tv to watch Birmingham live, but then remembered we'd disconnected the set because of the storms.  Very heavy rain falling as I write.

8 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Here in Canberra too, Les.  I hardly slept last night with the rolling thunder on and off.  I thought of switching on the tv to watch Birmingham live, but then remembered we'd disconnected the set because of the storms.  Very heavy rain falling as I write.

Rain and wind is on and off, but looking at radar, more on the way from ACT.

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Usually, for us, the Commonwealth Games are a mild attraction, nowhere near that of the Olympics.  This time, however, the coverage and commentary are great (Ian Thorpe particularly) and we're really following it.  The only negative, and it's a biggie, is that the time difference means most of the finals are held during our sleeping hours.

I actually took a few moments to look for the Commonwealth Games and I didn't see any coverage listed. They aren't even talking about it in the sports report on the evening news.

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I actually took a few moments to look for the Commonwealth Games and I didn't see any coverage listed. They aren't even talking about it in the sports report on the evening news.

Our news reports have a lot of info about the C'wealth Games - probably because the Aussies are winning a lot of medals. 🙂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Our news reports have a lot of info about the C'wealth Games - probably because the Aussies are winning a lot of medals. 🙂

Apparently the coverage is being streamed in Canada. I have a "Smart TV" but have not been interested in figuring out how to stream anything on it other than Amazon Prime.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Apparently the coverage is being streamed in Canada. I have a "Smart TV" but have not been interested in figuring out how to stream anything on it other than Amazon Prime.

The coverage here is free to air, which explains the local interest.  We don’t watch much f2a these days;  more Foxtel and Netflix.  

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I tried streaming with my tv once but by the time I got it out of the river the water had ruined it….could not see the point really. 🤔😂😂

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I recently bought a smart tv. It's too smart for me as I haven't yet figured out how to work all the bells and whistles so it's free-to-air for the time being. Besides, I'm a tightwad and see the point in paying for the extra stuff.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I recently bought a smart tv. It's too smart for me as I haven't yet figured out how to work all the bells and whistles so it's free-to-air for the time being. Besides, I'm a tightwad and see the point in paying for the extra stuff.

You don't always have to pay extra.  Currently with the Commonwealth Games, you can choose to watch any sport you choose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

It really depends on your viewing tastes.  We particularly love the British detective shows and mysteries, travel and cooking programmes.  Fox caters for those, and Netflix has some great movies.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mareblu said:

You can bank on it

Not big on their “ current” affairs shows.

My wife and I like the police / crimes series  shows  so if they are on “ meander” will watch them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Netflix/You Tube, $11 a month, cheap as chips.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I didn't know you payed for You Tube.....

Use it to watch music chip on the smarter than me telly and also watch some stuff on computer..

Also the price of chips has gone up about 30%

Don 

YT is free, I watch more of that than Netflix. But saying that Netflix puts on some good movies and some rubbish ones as well.   I like some of the Brit crime shows on ABC Iview.   SBS on demand has some good stuff too.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

YT is free, I watch more of that than Netflix. But saying that Netflix puts on some good movies and some rubbish ones as well.   I like some of the Brit crime shows on ABC Iview.   SBS on demand has some good stuff too.

Right on all counts, Les.  Endless variety of content on YT.  Fox Binge is great for Brit crime shows;  presently enthralled by the gripping “Our House”, and the Sam Neil production “Twelve”, in which he also stars is really good.  

• Like 1

Another update about our police involved shoot out in late June. One more officer was released from Hospital today. That leaves one still recovering in hospital. The nature of the injuries has not been released. Very little detail has been disclosed about the investigation. I'm not sure we will see any report on the investigation for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2