Carnival Announces Additional Cancellations

DCCruiser57

I suspect that the other Carnival brands will follow and Royal Caribbean will not be far behind.

CANCELED CRUISES

As the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, we regret to inform our guests that Carnival Cruise Line is having to cancel the following sailings:

All ships sailings through and including June 26, 2020

All San Francisco sailings through 2020

All Carnival Sunrise sailings through and including October 19, 2020

All Carnival Legend sailings through and including October 30, 2020

All Carnival Radiance sailings through and including November 1, 2020

57 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I saw that and wondered why the Sunrise, Legend, and Radiance are cancelled longer than the other ships?  I don't know anything about Carnival ships, but DH said perhaps those ships were over in Asia?  Any clue why the difference?

Sunrise was scheduled for departures from NY -- alternating 4 day Bermuda itineraries (2 in a row) with 8-day Eastern Caribbean itineraries, at least through October. After that they are based out of FLL.

Legend had sailings out of NY for E. Caribbean through May, then was scheduled to go to the Med on June 1 and spend the season there.

Not exactly sure what the deal is with Radiance -- looks like she was undergoing updates and a name change -- I don't see any sailings listed for her until November 2020 -- after that there are sailing from Port Canaveral and from Galveston.

Edited by cruisemom42

1 minute ago, Boatdrill said:

According to this article,  Carnival Cruise Lines is cancelling just North American sailings through June 26, 2020.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22776-carnival-cancels-all-north-american-cruises-through-end-of-june.html  

Doesn't appear to be completely accurate as Carnival Legend was scheduled to spend the summer/fall season cruising in the Med.

It would appear that cruise industry news did not read the Carnival published information.

CANCELED CRUISES

As the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, we regret to inform our guests that Carnival Cruise Line is having to cancel the following sailings:

All ships sailings through and including June 26, 2020

2 minutes ago, Himself said:
  1. Is this just the Carnival ships or does it include all cruise lines under the Carnival umbrella?

Since they name specific ships I assume it's just Carnival but I expect the subsidiaries will follow suit.

Roy

Just now, YXU AC*SE said:

I hope it does not filter to HAL

17 minutes ago, Himself said:

And why would HAL be any different?  Please tell.  Eventually, folks have to realize NONE of us will be cruising any time soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Himself said:

I expect it will.  Carnival Cruise Lines represents 74.6k in available lower berths -- or ~30% of Carnival Corp's ALB capacity across all lines. They are the 700-pound gorilla in this instance. I expect their North American operating groups to follow.   Scott.    

It appears that the various notices that Carnival has issued (3 that I am aware of) are inconsistent.  The one I cited above, from the Cancelled Cruises section under "Health an Sailing Updates" stated all sailings through June 26.  

Their blog stated

April 1, 2020

In light of the ongoing global response to the COVID-19 situation especially as it relates to certain regions, Carnival Cruise Line is cancelling the following:

• All Alaska sailings through and including June 30, 2020;
  • All San Francisco sailings through 2020;
  • All Carnival Radiance sailings through and including November 1, 2020;
  • All Carnival Legend sailings through and including October 30, 2020.

And their "News Blog" stated

April 13, 2020

Carnival Cruise Line said today that it is notifying guests that we are cancelling more cruises as we extend our pause in North American operations, with plans to resume on June 27, 2020.

I believe that Carnival are doing the right thing by setting expectations with their customer base.  

This business of a cruise line waiting to cancel cruises that are obviously not going to happen at the very last minute is nothing more than an insult to their customer base. 

I realize that there is an argument about boosting customer cancellations vs cruise line cancellations but it is one that I truly hope will backfire in the longer term on those cruise lines that at are selfishly going down this avenue.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

And why would HAL be any different?  Please tell.  Eventually, folks have to realize NONE of us will be cruising any time soon.

It seems there are two camps here.  Some who choose to believe cruising will return soon, July or August.  Others (count me in this one) who believe it could be as long as next year and even then it may be a different industry from the past. Time will tell who is right.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 2

We are fully prepared for our June 27 cruise to be cancelled. We are holding out for HAL’s cancellation rather canceling on our own to get the FCC perks being offered on other cruise cancellations. I’d prefer an answer sooner rather than later so that we can start canceling our other arrangements (flights, tours, hotels, etc). While I’d love for the cruise to still take place, I’m not at all optimistic that it will and am looking into other options for next summer. 

20 hours ago, calebandjess said:

We are fully prepared for our June 27 cruise to be cancelled. We are holding out for HAL’s cancellation rather canceling on our own to get the FCC perks being offered on other cruise cancellations. I’d prefer an answer sooner rather than later so that we can start canceling our other arrangements (flights, tours, hotels, etc). While I’d love for the cruise to still take place, I’m not at all optimistic that it will and am looking into other options for next summer. 

I am supposed to be on the Westerdam leaving Vancouver on June 14th.  I be it does not happen.

22 hours ago, Himself said:

I sure as heck hope it does filter to HAL.  The COVID-19 hits seniors much harder than other age groups.  HAL is the old people cruise line and as such I would have thought Holland would be the leader in extending the cancellations.  So far they've only cancelled though May 14th.  Personally I think upper management should be ashamed for not extending cancellations.  The Coronavirus isn't going away anytime soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Himself said:

I am supposed to be on the Westerdam leaving Vancouver on June 14th.  I be it does not happen.

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

The Vancouver cruise port is closed until July 1 unless a miracle happens.  

PLUS non-essential travel to Canada is forbidden for U.S. citizens as the border is basically closed.  Even if the ships were sailing, Americans could still not come to Vancouver.

p.s. We Canadians could not go to Seattle to board a ship either ... it goes both ways.

Like I've said before, buy a few good books, grab a chair, NONE of us will be sailing any time soon.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

PLUS non-essential travel to Canada is forbidden for U.S. citizens as the border is basically closed.  Even if the ships were sailing, Americans could still not come to Vancouver.

p.s. We Canadians could not go to Seattle to board a ship either ... it goes both ways.

Like I've said before, buy a few good books, grab a chair, NONE of us will be sailing any time soon.

We have gone as far as cancelling our 2 Europe cruises in October.  It broke my heart as it would have been my first time there.  Took me a long time also to convince hubby to take the N. Statendam transatlantic cruise after the N.Amsterdam cruise.  Had it all planned to fly from Ft Lauderdale after to Quebec to see our little granddaughter before returning to Vancouver.  

So many, like us, having to cancel after such research and planning.  I’m not convinced cruising will ever return to how we knew it.  

• Like 1