Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

3 hours ago, nosapphire said:

No.

I am with those who say that if a mask is necessary, then the cruise should not go ahead.

Yes, it will help protect others. But will others still protect me?

How often have you seen people with masks pull down their mask to talk to their friend/answer their phone/scratch their nose, and then replace the mask and with the same hand that touched the mask they have been breathing heavily into, start touching things?

Cannot see that people on a ship will be any better behaved, and as all the evidence so far points to the biggest risk being lots of people in enclosed spaces - I am not that desperate to get back on a cruise.

A few minutes ago I got a call from my dentists office .The person wanted to know if I wanted to come in this afternoon for an exam and a cleaning.I do not think that could be done if I am wearing a mask .I will never go on a cruise wearing a mask.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Our Governor states it is mandatory to wear a mask ,however,it is not enforced.

Since I have the same governor, I will second that.

However, there are things that are enforced such as open a barber shop before it is approved to do so, and you get busted. Same with other not yet allowed businesses.

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I will never go on a cruise wearing a mask.

Agree.  If a mask is required I doubt I would take the cruise.   I'm reading about cruises with masks, distancing rules, seat regulations, dining regulations, restricted ports, etc.  Not saying they should or shouldn't be done.  But if they are required, I wouldn't enjoy the experience.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Agree.  If a mask is required I doubt I would take the cruise.   I'm reading about cruises with masks, distancing rules, seat regulations, dining regulations, restricted ports, etc.  Not saying they should or shouldn't be done.  But if they are required, I wouldn't enjoy the experience.  

My thinking is that cruising will not resume until the pandemic ends.

I regret to say this, but vaccination for whatever disease seems to be based upon whatever a person believes and not upon solid scientific evidence.

It is your right to not get vaccinated for Covid-19 when and if such a vaccine is developed.  But, by doing so, are you not infringing upon my right not to become ill by breathing the virus particles that you may be producing?    

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I regret to say this, but vaccination for whatever disease seems to be based upon whatever a person believes and not upon solid scientific evidence.

It is your right to not get vaccinated for Covid-19 when and if such a vaccine is developed.  But, by doing so, are you not infringing upon my right not to become ill by breathing the virus particles that you may be producing?    

If there is a proven vaccine then anyone who does not take it Obviously is not mentally sound.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I can’t help wondering if the people who have signed up for cruises in the coming months, obviously without having an idea about which protocols might be put in place and how they will impact the experience, have spent much time thinking about things.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 3:47 PM, clo said:

One thing I thought about is that it would be hard to eat your meals. Would the pool(s) be closed? Etc.But then I saw these photos of nurses after wearing their masks.

https://scoop.upworthy.com/healthcare-workers-share-painful-effects-wearing-face-masks-prolonged-periods-of-time?fbclid=IwAR02iq3t7SQa8y26JaZ8hiGG094e7XtO3MHnvGVZU0xoUXTTFYqo3XM4mdE

Those who would be ready to cruise NOW...or before there's a "robust" vaccine...what if the cruise line required masks? Would you wear one? I've thought that I could handle it on a ten hour flight but not a ten day cruise.  You???

Yes, I would without any hesitation just I can make sure I have done my part.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Vaccine is the key for me. But I'm already living with masks, distancing etc. I don't think it would bother me more at sea than on land. But, again, vaccine is deal maker/breaker.

42 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If you've been vaccinated, how does someone else make you ill?

40 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I can’t help wondering if the people who have signed up for cruises in the coming months, obviously without having an idea about which protocols might be put in place and how they will impact the experience, have spent much time thinking about things.

IDK.  I think it is OK to be hopeful and if someone wants to book and hope for clear sailing there is really no harm done other than the potential for lost deposits I guess.  I mean someone has to be the first to ask for more gruel, right!  Haha.  

The thing is I don't think we really know what the protocols will be.   The cruise lines have thrown some stuff up to see what would stick.  Some folks here throw out a lot of ideas on how to get up and running again.  Some are pretty creative and thought provoking for our forum discussion.  But IDK,  removing half the MDR tables, no more shared tables, sailing half full?  Social distancing at embarkation and during a cruise?  Realistically I'm not convinced these things will ever happen.   I think that at least in part because a lot of ideas seem aimed at get cruising up and running  while we are still in the middle of a pandemic.  Once the pandemic is managed, it may turn out that the guy who said the new normal won't be that much different may be right.     But really I'm just making a guess like everyone else and am prepared to be wrong.     

• Like 2

I just read over in the Princess forum that Alaska says all travelers into AK including cruises must have a documented CV-19 test showing negative.  The test must have been within 72 hours of entering. A follow up test will be required for those staying beyond a certain timeframe.  Testing will be available at airports.  If I read it correctly, anyone refusing will be given the option of a 14 day quarantine or being fed to the bears.   Anyway, best look in the Princess forum for details if you are interested.  

Thought I would mention it since we are discussing potential protocols.  

On 4/23/2020 at 4:39 PM, clo said:

CC just posted this from Princess. Sounds inadequate to me.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5301/?et_cid=3327335&et_rid=16752896&et_referrer=NULL

And PS I don't think masks should be required cause most people wouldn't comply.

This one paragraph  invalidates everything else in their proposal (red highlights are mine) -

"All crew who exhibit symptoms of acute respiratory illness will be required to visit the medical center onboard for a complimentary medical consultation; guests are "strongly encouraged" to do the same. 

Also, masks should be required and should be enforced by putting anyone who fails to wear one in a required area of the ship being kicked off the ship without exception and without giving them a second chance.  It will only take having a few passengers kicked off the ship and announcements that they were kicked off being made on the ship PA system to convince the rest of the passengers that the rules were being seriously enforced.

I would not cruise under these circumstances but that is what the cruise companies have to do to reduce the chances of on board covid.

DON

9 hours ago, clo said:

And if it doesn't end then cruising won't resume.

There is flu every year, and yet cruising and other vacation travel did not end. There have been outbreaks of norovirus without shutting down the whole industry.

Would it be more accurate to say until the pandemic is managed there will be no more cruises instead of until it ends?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Do you think we should keep the protocols in place even after a vaccine is available?

Having a vaccine available and having the problem of contagion resolved are not the same-  perhaps one of the longest-lasting protocols might be to require proof of vaccination.  

All this talk about waiting for a vaccination to be available makes me laugh. If a vaccine ever becomes available,  and by the time enough dosages have been produced, and by the time hundreds of millions of people have been injected, the cruise industry will have long since disappeared. 

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Having a vaccine available and having the problem of contagion resolved are not the same-  perhaps one of the longest-lasting protocols might be to require proof of vaccination.  

I'm all in favor of requiring vaccination proof.  I'm not in favor of an endless continuation of masks, social distancing, etc.

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm all in favor of requiring vaccination proof.  I'm not in favor of an endless continuation of masks, social distancing, etc.

Agreed - it is hard to see how masks and social distancing could really work on a cruise ship without making the whole deal a chore.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Agreed - it is hard to see how masks and social distancing could really work on a cruise ship without making the whole deal a chore.

We have a partial canal cruise booked for December.  We will cancel this cruise if these protocols are in place when it's time for final payment.  We will not book another cruise until these protocols are lifted.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

All this talk about waiting for a vaccination to be available makes me laugh. If a vaccine ever becomes available,  and by the time enough dosages have been produced, and by the time hundreds of millions of people have been injected, the cruise industry will have long since disappeared. 

I watched an interesting documentary about vaccine production and they talked to people who work within the industry and they surprisingly said don't hold you breath for this vaccine, it would take some amazing discovery for a vaccine to be developed any time soon. I think we will have to live with this virus the way our predecessors lived with small pox, take whatever precautions we can and hope for the best.

22 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It's irrational exuberance.  It's the same type of thinking that has been propelling the Market in recent weeks.