Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

38 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

The powers that be?  Which are they no longer saying - that masks are not to protect others?  I haven't seen that yet.

No, that everyone should be wearing masks.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Perspective

Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

New England Journal of Medicine

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372

"We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic."

There are multiple sources for that information.  This is just one example.

Whether some protocols are 'common sense' depends upon the effectiveness of the protocols.  There are many who insist any protocol is 'common sense' if it even helps a very small bit.  Politicians are very sensitive to complaints they're not doing enough which leads to imposition of 'common sense' protocols that are only symbolic (read the last sentence of the article posted).  People/organizations want to be seen as doing something even if something isn't effective.  Other articles state that wearing masks is largely 'symbolic'.  

This! Then there are those righteous individuals out there wearing improper masks in improper ways so that even what tiny bit of protection they would afford others is lost. But they are wearing a mask to protect us!

To be any use at all the CDC says masks need to be multi-layered and tight fitting. Can’t begin to count the people wearing a little single layer stretchy thing, or wearing something below the nose or totally open on the sides or bottom. Who do they think they are fooling?

If I wear a mask it is to protect me, which is all our responsibility. Multi layered made from properly tightly woven material with a nose piece and an extra filter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, clo said:

No, that everyone should be wearing masks.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

Not everyone.   "In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is not just increased testing which leads to higher reported cases - it is actual increased hospitalizations - and some more deaths.

We had increased cases as long as we increased testing but they are leveling out as we reached a plateau of numbers tested. Hospitalizations are down as well as deaths. More testing equals more positives but not necessarily more illness than was there before. The increase in positive tests is primarily due to testing asymptomatic individuals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

The data is still being examined but my point is that we are constantly re evaluating this disease so to say the risks are low or minimal is naive. We started out thinkng COVID 19 is a respitory illness now it it looking more like a vascualr illness. We thought children were completely safe now we are finding it is effecting their bodies. The original advice said people with asthma were high risk turns they are low risk and high blood pressure is dangerous. Zika was underestimated too, they said it was harmless illness that people quickly got over, only old people and the sick had to worry about it. Now Brazil has to bare the economic burden of supporting the health and welfare of all the Zika babies and their families. The worst thing you can do is to underestimate a disease especially when so little is known about it. Health care costs countries a lot of money you don't want to burden the system more because of some long term treatment that is needed because we didn't know COVID 19 did this to someones body till it was too late😳. Lock downs obviously can't last forever but that doesn't mean we should throw caution to the wind either.

So, why should we ruin an economy when we have no real idea of the effects of this virus?

Isn't that a definition of an 'over-reaction'?

8 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

This! Then there are those righteous individuals out there wearing improper masks in improper ways so that even what tiny bit of protection they would afford others is lost. But they are wearing a mask to protect us!

To be any use at all the CDC says masks need to be multi-layered and tight fitting. Can’t begin to count the people wearing a little single layer stretchy thing, or wearing something below the nose or totally open on the sides or bottom. Who do they think they are fooling?

If I wear a mask it is to protect me, which is all our responsibility. Multi layered made from properly tightly woven material with a nose piece and an extra filter.

Wouldn't it be a better policy to give those N95 masks, which are highly effective in preventing the virus, to those most at risk, ie, those over seventy with multiple co-modalites?  I understand that there was a time when those masks were scarce for the general population but this would only be for a limited number of those most at risk.

Doesn't that make more sense than requiring the whole population, even those at little risk, to wear masks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

Are you aware that wearing a N95 (with valve) is making you inconsiderate of others?  You are protecting yourself, but those masks are supposed to be reserved for frontline workers and the valve makes them not filter the virus if you are a carrier.

The powers that be?  Which are they no longer saying - that masks are not to protect others?  I haven't seen that yet.

Congratulations, but I thought you were a US Citizen.  If that is the case you can add KBE to your name, but not use Sir as a title.  Of course in the US we often address with respect "yes, Sir" or "no, ma'am" but Sir Lenquioxte66 would not be appropriate unless/until you are a British Citizen. 

I am a US citizen but not a KBE .Not every person who is a Knight was designated as such by the Queen of England.

5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Wouldn't it be a better policy to give those N95 masks, which are highly effective in preventing the virus, to those most at risk, ie, those over seventy with multiple co-modalites?  I understand that there was a time when those masks were scarce for the general population but this would only be for a limited number of those most at risk.

Doesn't that make more sense than requiring the whole population, even those at little risk, to wear masks?

That’s my point that everyone wearing a mask is silly.

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

That makes sense to me.  My dad is at an extremely high risk.  His doctor said that the virus will most likely kill him with all of his medical issues.  Thankfully, my daughter had a bunch of N95 masks on hand before the pandemic and sent him some.  My dad's doctor said that the N95 mask will be the only thing that will protect him, not other people wearing disposable and cloth masks.  It seems like vulnerable people should take extreme care in protecting their health.  Depending on other people to do it for them with cloth and disposable maskes gives them a huge false sense of security and actually puts them at risk if they let their guard down.

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am a US citizen but not a KBE .Not every person who is a Knight was designated as such by the Queen of England.

Are you by any chance a Knight in White Satin, a member of the Moody Blues?

6 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

That makes sense to me.  My dad is at an extremely high risk.  His doctor said that the virus will most likely kill him with all of his medical issues.  Thankfully, my daughter had a bunch of N95 masks on hand before the pandemic and sent him some.  My dad's doctor said that the N95 mask will be the only thing that will protect him, not other people wearing disposable and cloth masks.  It seems like vulnerable people should take extreme care in protecting their health.  Depending on other people to do it for them with cloth and disposable maskes gives them a huge false sense of security and actually puts them at risk if they let their guard down.

I am also an extremely high risk .I have all kinds of masks but not any N95.

I have been in my residence for 99 days except for 5 minute walks when physically able.

• Like 1

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I have been in my residence for 99 days except for 5 minute walks when physically able.

I am sorry.  I know that is extremely stressful.  Since the virus can go through the majority of masks that people wear, I know that social distancing is absolutely necessary for high risk people.  I hope you do enjoy your walks!  It think it's important that people can get out of the house.

• Like 1

Just now, ontheweb said:

Are you by any chance a Knight in White Satin, a member of the Moody Blues?

While I love that song and told that to members of the group when I saw them at HippyFest in 2004 ,My being a knight has nothing to do with the song.

I became a Knight in April 1994 and the story of this honor being bestowed on me appeared in a NYC newspaper.

48 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Ah, so your knighthood is not a British one, since only the Queen can award this honor. (Although it can be presented by one of her representatives). If it was a British knighthood, then it is purely honorary, not substantive, since you are not a Commonwealth citizen. As such you would not be entitled to be called Sir XYZ; only to the use of the initials after your name.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I am sorry.  I know that is extremely stressful.  Since the virus can go through the majority of masks that people wear, I know that social distancing is absolutely necessary for high risk people.  I hope you do enjoy your walks!  It think it's important that people can get out of the house.

I just returned from my brief walk.My wife has to hold me ,Therefore,I go whenever she can take me.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

That’s my point that everyone wearing a mask is silly.

Shouldn't you choose the best coverage and cover everyone or trust you intuition and deduction?

I could take that thought to wearing seatbelts, steel toed shoes/hard hats, locking your car/house door etc. etc. only the "high" risk and forget it for the lower risk people because they are inconvenient, hot, etc....    

Decades ago almost every safety measure is resisted, till we fix the norms, humans are indeed a strange species, how did those with lack of empathy and self sacrifice propagate, good reading "The Righteous Mind" sheds light on this one, LOL

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mom says said:

Ah, so your knighthood is not a British one, since only the Queen can award this honor. (Although it can be presented by one of her representatives). If it was a British knighthood, then it is purely honorary, not substantive, since you are not a Commonwealth citizen. As such you would not be entitled to be called Sir XYZ; only to the use of the initials after your name.

Mine is from a fraternal organization that was founded in Washington D.C.in 1864 .There are currently more than 50,000 Knights all over the world.People that you would be familiar with are Hubert Humphrey,Warren Harding,Franklin Roosevelt just to name a few.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

In my e-mail this morning there were several petitions that I was asked to sign; this was one of them. (And no I did not sign it.)

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/we-oppose-mandatory-mask-orders-in-orange-county-ca-and-support-the-recent-removal-of-the-mandate.html?utm_source=marketing&utm_medium=email

You have to remember that The OC is rabid red (except for the part that belongs to Katie Porter).  Heck, we even allowed Richard Nixon to make his Vacation White House down at San Clemente (blocking off access to a bitchin surf spot when he was there).  

It's part of that thing that wearing/not wearing a mask has not become a big political issue.  

Me?  I'm getting my popcorn ready to watch the numbers go through the roof in Oklahoma and surrounding states in 2-3 weeks.   Florida is spiking - if you had seen photos of the spectators jammed together for hours from Cocoa Beach up to Titusville to watch the launch of the SpaceX rocket carrying the astronauts - most did not have masks.  That was June 9 - do the math. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

Not everyone.   "In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission."

But everyone should be wearing masks.  I didn't say 'all the time,' did I? But unless I'm outdoors and no one's around I have on my mask. Going from my car into a restaurant, I wear my mask until we're seated.

45 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Me?  I'm getting my popcorn ready to watch the numbers go through the roof in Oklahoma and surrounding states in 2-3 weeks.   Florida is spiking - if you had seen photos of the spectators jammed together for hours from Cocoa Beach up to Titusville to watch the launch of the SpaceX rocket carrying the astronauts - most did not have masks.  That was June 9 - do the math. 

Good to see someone aware of time frames - that it takes two weeks generally for symptoms to appear, then at least another week (usually longer) for symptoms to develop to point requiring hospitalization —- which seems to be the only metric the deniers can understand.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Sorry for your confinement, hopefully as we open up your fellow humans will make the necessary sacrifices to make them lower risk transmitters.

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

Shouldn't you choose the best coverage and cover everyone or trust you intuition and deduction?

I could take that thought to wearing seatbelts, steel toed shoes/hard hats, locking your car/house door etc. etc. only the "high" risk and forget it for the lower risk people because they are inconvenient, hot, etc....    

Decades ago almost every safety measure is resisted, till we fix the norms, humans are indeed a strange species, how did those with lack of empathy and self sacrifice propagate, good reading "The Righteous Mind" sheds light on this one, LOL

Or we could put everyone in one of those plastic balls. Would be much safer for everyone. Lol

• Like 1