Heart Conditions Banned from Cruising

kruisey

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

and the answers were ??

Well now your gonna test this old mind:  I recall nursing schools in the states and I believe at least one from Europe, maybe UK.  Most had been with Princess for 2 or more years.  I have also had the opportunity to see the medical staff in action:  an elderly woman was pushing her husband on a "walker" (he was seated and they didn't realize this was not made to be a wheelchair type apparatus); they hit a bump in the flooring, floor went from tile to carpet, and over backwards the husband went with the wife falling on top of him; both began bleeding and the wife and I began to assist while other call for medical; medical staff arrived very quickly, began treating while asking pertinent questions about medications, health conditions etc.  Both were taken directly to medical while hotel staff began cleaning/sanitizing the area.  DW and I saw the couple the next day and they went on and on about how well they were treated in medical.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

@whitecap - thanks - what about the 'doc' in charge ? Aren't they mainly DO's and not MD's ? - and no, I don't have any "facts" about the ratio ...

You've got me on that one.  I just don't remember.  Funny, DW can tell you that he was short, dark hair, good looking and a nice smile!  Go figure 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Although this is now  'Off the subject' I just had to butt in.

Nobody has come up with another reason why a Doctor works on a cruise ship.

Could the reason be he/she love their career and also cruising and the sea life ?

Edited by kruisey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kruisey said:

Although this is now 'Off the subject' I just had to butt in.

Could the reason be he/she love their career and also cruising and the sea life ?

Absolutely!!!

On 4/24/2020 at 4:25 PM, Hlitner said:

Hmmm.  About 10% of the population have diabetes so they can't cruise.  50% have hypertension so they cannot cruise.  About 35% have obesity and that number increases if one just considers overweight.  They cannot cruise.  Nearly half of all Americans suffer from cardiovascular disease.  They cannot cruise.  About 15% of cruisers are over 70!  They likely cannot cruise.  Perhaps some can see the problem.  Cruise lines had best wake up and figure out how to lure their customers back to cruising, possibly being confined to their cabin for days or weeks, possibly not being able to go ashore (anywhere) because a single person on a ship is sick, etc.

Folks, take a deep breath.  The cruise lines and CLIA are in full panic mode.  Desperate people and corporations do and say desperate things.  At some point they will have to find a way to fill their ships and that will not likely involve trying to drive away most of their customers!  Personally, as an avid cruiser for over 40 years (more then 3 years on many ships) DW and I are no longer sure we want to go on another ship!   The COVID-19 problem will eventually become much less of a problem.  But the new hassles, cut-backs, and changes being proposed by the cruise lines will be a major detriment.  

I just looked at a thread on a blog that is popular with travelers who like to travel to a popular resort city in Mexico.  Somebody asked if anyone planned on going on a cruise in the future.   Not a single person responded in a positive way!   A popular response referred to being trapped on a ship!   Another person, who is a long time cruise fan, said she would likely not go on a cruise ship until there is a COVID-19 vaccine!  We are all here on CC where just about everyone is a big time cruise fan and yet many are now talking about avoiding cruise ships.  If the cruise lines lose their biggest fans it is hard to imagine how they will attract others.

The cruise lines have a very big problem and trying to alienate their customers is not going to help.

Hank

I've been on 65+ cruises, but will cross the magic 70 threshold in July.  Although my husband is considerably older and is on all kinds of meds,  we have been successfully cruising for 35 years with no issues. 

We both love cruising, but agree with you - right now I'm not sure that cruising even sounds appealing unless it can go back the way it was. (Not talking about changes that might be made to the buffets and extra cleaning procedures.)  

Only time will tell - I don't have a crystal ball so it will be interesting to see how this develops when cruising starts back up.

Edited by mek

I had to go to the medical facilities on a Celebrity cruise last year due to an ear problem. 

The doctor I saw trained in one of the top London medical schools, it came up because I was then still working at one of London's large teaching hospitals. As far as I can remember, he said he had worked in London and South Africa, before joining the cruise company.

mek,  have you watched the you tube video with CEO of Carnival.  He is interviewed by CNBC;  does a pretty good job convincing me that things will be better; they will comply with CDC requirements;  they have money to pay all employees and keep ships floating with zero revenue until Dec.  He fully expects things to be back running sometime this year.  I am ready when they are. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

mek,  have you watched the you tube video with CEO of Carnival.  He is interviewed by CNBC;  does a pretty good job convincing me that things will be better; they will comply with CDC requirements;  they have money to pay all employees and keep ships floating with zero revenue until Dec.  He fully expects things to be back running sometime this year.  I am ready when they are. 

What he did not say is that CCL sold their soul to get a few billion in cash.  Some of the bonds they issued pay about 11% in interest and some bonds are convertible to common stock at a very low price.  What this means is that CCL is on the hook for some huge debt service payments and their common stock is most likely to be diluted which will likely keep the price down and limit or eliminate dividends.  Many analysts do think that CCL can likely get through this year.  The problem is that they desperately need to get up and operating before the end of the year and must somehow lure back the folks that will their vessels.  But cash flow will really suffer because of the billions in Future Cruise Credits being liberally dispensed.  The solution to that problem is to increase the price of cruises (this already seems to be an issue) which will offset (or water down) the real value of those FCCs.  But the question is can they attract enough paying cruisers and I do think that is a huge question.  If ports around the world do not open up to cruise ships the future of the industry is bleak.  Rumors abound about places like Australia, NZ, and much of Europe keeping their ports closed for the foreseeable future.   Will places like Singapore, Hong Kong, and Japan reopen to cruise ships?  Cruises represent a very small part of their tourist income and it would be easy for many places to simply play it safe and keep their ports closed.

Hank

• Like 2

Keep in mind that the comments by Carnival Corp's CEO are not off the cuff.  They are directed and measured for the audience of investors and customers.  This was NOT a fireside chat.  More like a standard corporate drawer statement that all employees will refer to, repeat, and adhere to.

We want to cruise again in the future.  But we will certainly not be deciding to do so based on when the cruise line tells us it is safe.  We can only judge them by their past performance.  Their primary customer interest is in our wallets, not our well being.  Despite the 'just folks' comments.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

What he did not say is that CCL sold their soul to get a few billion in cash.  Some of the bonds they issued pay about 11% in interest and some bonds are convertible to common stock at a very low price.  What this means is that CCL is on the hook for some huge debt service payments and their common stock is most likely to be diluted which will likely keep the price down and limit or eliminate dividends.  Many analysts do think that CCL can likely get through this year.  The problem is that they desperately need to get up and operating before the end of the year and must somehow lure back the folks that will their vessels.  But cash flow will really suffer because of the billions in Future Cruise Credits being liberally dispensed.  The solution to that problem is to increase the price of cruises (this already seems to be an issue) which will offset (or water down) the real value of those FCCs.  But the question is can they attract enough paying cruisers and I do think that is a huge question.  If ports around the world do not open up to cruise ships the future of the industry is bleak.  Rumors abound about places like Australia, NZ, and much of Europe keeping their ports closed for the foreseeable future.   Will places like Singapore, Hong Kong, and Japan reopen to cruise ships?  Cruises represent a very small part of their tourist income and it would be easy for many places to simply play it safe and keep their ports closed.

Hank

Some of these places may never reopen to cruise ships again period end of story. Venice in particular has wanted to get rid of the cruise ships or at least the larger ones for some time. They may simply turn round and say we don't want the ships back which will really hurt an east med cruise as Venice is one of the main destinations.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

@whitecap - thanks - what about the 'doc' in charge ? Aren't they mainly DO's and not MD's ? - and no, I don't have any "facts" about the ratio ...

Doctor of osteopathic medicine

A doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO) is a physician licensed to practice medicine, perform surgery, and prescribe medicine.

Information

Like all allopathic physicians (or MDs), osteopathic physicians complete 4 years of medical school and can choose to practice in any specialty of medicine. However, osteopathic physicians receive an additional 300 to 500 hours in the study of hands-on manual medicine and the body's musculoskeletal system.

Osteopathic physicians hold to the principle that a patient's history of illness and physical trauma are written into the body's structure. The osteopathic physician's highly developed sense of touch allows the physician to feel (palpate) the patient's living anatomy (the flow of fluids, motion and texture of tissues, and structural makeup).

Like MDs, osteopathic physicians are licensed at the state level. Osteopathic physicians who wish to specialize may become board certified (in the same manner as MDs) by completing a 2- to 6-year residency within the specialty area and passing the board certification exams.

DOs practice in all specialties of medicine, ranging from emergency medicine and cardiovascular surgery to psychiatry and geriatrics. Osteopathic doctors use the same medical and surgical treatments that are used by other medical doctors, but may also incorporate a holistic approach taught during their medical training.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kruisey said:

Although this is now  'Off the subject' I just had to butt in.

Well the doctor in Love Boat did it to meet ladies 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

The new rules are a result of COVID19.  Cruise Ships will not be sailing until COVID19 is no longer a threat.  Then I believe they will create new rules that will not eliminate 80% of cruisers.  If they don't those ships will be sailing almost empty.

9 minutes ago, Cruise-Crazzy said:

The new rules are a result of COVID19.  Cruise Ships will not be sailing until COVID19 is no longer a threat.  Then I believe they will create new rules that will not eliminate 80% of cruisers.  If they don't those ships will be sailing almost empty.

If we accept your theory and believe that only 80% of "cruisers" will be allowed to cruise, what do you believe will be the criteria that will be used:  age; person from outside of the United States; person deemed most susceptible to viruses?  Just wondering what your thoughts are.  

Edited by whitecap

21 hours ago, kruisey said:

Wow I am sorry if folks are feeling upset........That's not good for my heart you know.😉

Anyway due to mixed reaction I did phone Princess again.This gal was extremely honest and told me just earlier this week the 'Under chronic conditions' was taken off the list.There again she said she did not have an answer for me and to contact when our wonderful Covid 19 has decided to push off to another planet and leave ours alone I made this last bit up by the way😏. So they really don't have the answer yet. At least there is hope in the future I can again sit on deck reading my Patterson mystery ,watch the waves and folks pass  by.

Kruisey

No opinion yet on what lies ahead for those of us that love cruising.

No one knows including Princess what the future looks like.

I just want to chime in on your AFib diagnosis. I have had AFib since my early 30’s

I’m now in my 60’s. It’s scary at first for sure just wrapping your head around that kind of a diagnosis out of the Blue is overwhelming.

But I assure you with the right medications life goes on pretty much the same.

My cardiologist knows my cruise addiction and  has no problem with me continuing to do so. My hope is you get comfortable with it and continue to do what you love to.

Wishing you all the best

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, whitecap said:

If we accept your theory and believe that 80% of "cruisers" will no longer be allowed to cruise, what do you believe will be the criteria that will be used:  age; person from outside of the United States; person deemed most susceptible to viruses?  Just wondering what your thoughts are.  

Not much more stringent than prior to COVID19.  Cruising will not resume until COVID19 is out of the picture.  A questionnaire asking about symptoms and illnesses and body temperature. 

1 hour ago, cristine said:

Kruisey

No opinion yet on what lies ahead for those of us that love cruising.

No one knows including Princess what the future looks like.

I just want to chime in on your AFib diagnosis. I have had AFib since my early 30’s

I’m now in my 60’s. It’s scary at first for sure just wrapping your head around that kind of a diagnosis out of the Blue is overwhelming.

But I assure you with the right medications life goes on pretty much the same.

My cardiologist knows my cruise addiction and  has no problem with me continuing to do so. My hope is you get comfortable with it and continue to do what you love to.

Wishing you all the best

Thank you for this wonderful post it surely is full of hope.

I have a-fib and have for many years.  My husband was diagnosed with it during a routine check up with his heart doctor after he had a stent inserted several years ago.  Doctor scheduled him for some procedure, .  He was literally gowned and  in the OR on the table when they did a pre-check and, guess what, no a-fib!  The doctor called the procedure off.  He said it is not unusual for it to "come and go"  In the next routine check up, it was back but he is not that concerned about it.  My doctor (including my daughter in law who is a doctor) is not concerned with mine other than to monitor it.

I guess between that and my age, I won't be able to cruise anymore if this rumor turns out true which I don't think  it will (lol)

6 hours ago, Cruise-Crazzy said:

COVID 19 will be a threat for a long time until a vaccine is created or it totally disappears.

• Like 1