Electronic Muster Drills

jhannah

Royal Caribbean has filed a patent for EMUSTER ... possible electronic safety drills before sailing. It would take place on your cabin's interactive TV screen (maybe Ocean Medallion app????) This would certainly be a welcomed relief from cramming up on deck, which is about as anti-social-distancing as you can get.

What do you think of the concept? Do you think Princess will follow suit with a similar program? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jhannah said:

Royal Caribbean has filed a patent for EMUSTER ... possible electronic safety drills before sailing. It would take place on your cabin's interactive TV screen (maybe Ocean Medallion app????) This would certainly be a welcomed relief from cramming up on deck, which is about as anti-social-distancing as you can get.

What do you think of the concept? Do you think Princess will follow suit with a similar program? 

Oh my goodness ... I sure hope so!!  I would be more than happy to watch the muster drill on TV in my stateroom ... even if it made me click on something to ensure I was watching it.  I'm sure it could be achieved.  Let's do it!  

• Like 1

On our Feb 2020 cruise we were asked to watch a safety video in our room. We then attended a muster drill that was held in the main theater. No one had to bring life vest but they showed how to properly put one on. It was a quick and easy process. We were led by our group leader to our muster station.

Edited by WallyNDiane

I don't think they are opening up cruising again until the "social distancing" requirement is behind us.  Whether through herd immunity or a vaccine.  Because I don't see how we can practice "social distancing" on board.

• Like 2

SOLAS requires all persons onboard to partake in the muster drill & the crew additionally in a Boat drill.

It also requires all persons to be shown the correct wearing of the Lifejacket.

There are several types of approved lifejackets.

The crew drills are at another time & not turnround ports.  Boats are opten taken away & crew exercised in boat handling.  Boat crews are from the seaman section onboard.

Edited by SeaDog-46
  • Like 1

While I can agree with the concept, it's only one of many gatherings that occur during a cruise. 

What would they intend to do about the embarkation seating, buffet lines, elevator crowding and show lounge? These things make me think about our future of cruising on any cruise line until they come up with a vaccine. 

While I would really hate to see the end of cruising as we have known it, I've got major concerns about the future of all the cruise lines right now. :classic_sad:

• Like 1

I think the eMuster would be okay for those who have cruised multiple times on the same cruise line and particularly the same ship or class of ship.  We know the drill; we know where the muster stations are located or know how to find them by looking at the back of the stateroom door.  I am so familiar with the Royal class since we haver sailed on the Royal, the Regal, and the Sky Princess; also on several of the other classes of Princess ships.  But for those who are either new to cruising or new to the cruise line or new to the specific ship, the live muster drill requires them to actually go to their muster station.  That knowledge is important if there is an actual emergency muster.

The muster has to accomplished before the ship sails. I don't expect this rule will change anytime soon. Princess has a TV safety video now, which must be played before any other TV programming is allowed. Some interactive changes could  improve information absorption. I don't think it would be wise to eliminate the process of going to your muster station.  

• Like 1

I know this would be a great change but how can it be verified.

The safety briefing that  shows on the TV prior to it being able to be used will play through if someone is actually watching it or not.  I for one have turned on the TV and then left the room to get a drink or something just so that the TV would be ready for viewing when I returned.  

14 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Would not comply with SOLAS without going to your MUSTER Station - as it is currently done on Princess.

Never say never! A lot of changes  are going to be made to procedures and regulations in all walks of life as we move into our new normal. Wouldn’t be surprised if cruise lines and governments work together to make changes that allow cruising to be as safe and healthy as possible.

43 minutes ago, famski740 said:

I know this would be a great change but how can it be verified.

The safety briefing that  shows on the TV prior to it being able to be used will play through if someone is actually watching it or not.  I for one have turned on the TV and then left the room to get a drink or something just so that the TV would be ready for viewing when I returned.  

I would think a software program could be installed on either the tv or your medallion app.  That software would have ability to log you in and then count you for watching the muster drill.  Take a look at airline passenger briefings.  How many actually pay attention to the flight attendant or watch their tv monitor at their seat.  Not that it's right; but something similar could be implemented for cruise ships. 

15 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Would not comply with SOLAS without going to your MUSTER Station

I’ve read this several times in other threads, but when we sailed on MSC in the Med (where new passengers embarked at each port of call), we attended a modified “muster drill” at the main theatre even though that wasn’t our muster station . It was a quick, 5 minute presentation where they demonstrated life jackets and then we went on our way. No signals, no loudspeaker announcements,  the rest of the activities on the ship didn’t come to a halt, bars remained open, and all other passengers who didn’t embark on the same day as us went about their day unaffected. 

I get the feeling that muster drill requirements do have more flexibility than what some people are posting here on Cruise Critic. I also think that, under the current situation, further changes could be made to the way muster drills are conducted. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

From what I have read about the E muster concept, all passengers would view the video either on the Cruise Line’s website or app before they arrive or on the television in their room after they arrive. The viewing of the video would be acknowledged by the website, the app, or an option on the remote control for the television. Each passenger would then go to their assigned muster site and scan their card or other device either by an employee that was stationed there or at a scanner mounted on the wall. That would document that everyone had viewed the video and visited their Muster Station.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I would think a software program could be installed on either the tv or your medallion app.  That software would have ability to log you in and then count you for watching the muster drill.  Take a look at airline passenger briefings.  How many actually pay attention to the flight attendant or watch their tv monitor at their seat.  Not that it's right; but something similar could be implemented for cruise ships. 

I don't know if there ever was a survey done, but I would guess very few pay a lot of attention during the airline briefing. And I wonder how many pay a lot of attention on a cruise especially when packed like sardines on deck by the lifeboat. Are most just thinking when will this finally be over?

Funny scene on the tv show Young Sheldon a few weeks back when he actually listened to the airline briefing and immediately wanted to get off the plane. His father finally had to convince him that Spock was not afraid to fly. LOL

ontheweb;  that's funny.  The only time I had a decent cruise lifeboat and lifevest drill was on Royal Caribbean.  It was on Allure of the Seas;   everyone went to different parts of the ship.  So it was not crowded;  My group sat in AquaTheater and watched on a big tv screen.  That was it.  

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

While I can agree with the concept, it's only one of many gatherings that occur during a cruise. 

What would they intend to do about the embarkation seating, buffet lines, elevator crowding and show lounge? These things make me think about our future of cruising on any cruise line until they come up with a vaccine. 

While I would really hate to see the end of cruising as we have known it, I've got major concerns about the future of all the cruise lines right now. :classic_sad:

The fast discovery of a vaccine is the thing we need to hope and pray for. Until then we are in for a dramatic period of the way we live, work and play. 

On my last cruises I couldn't watch TV until the safe video had finished so nothings changed. Even if muster is done on TV what about social distancing in the theatre, pool. spa, piazza?

Can there be any social distance on a tender or shore excursion buses?

Edited by cruzsnooze

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

Can there be any social distance on a tender or shore excursion buses?

Ports that require tenders could be discontinued until social distancing can be eased. Bus tours could limit the number of passengers. I ride an employee bus to the parking lot at my job and, even though buses hold 50 passengers, capacity is currently limited to 18. One passenger per row in a zig zag pattern, and more frequent buses to meet demand. Something similar could be offered on bus tours. 

As far as tenders go, I'm sure Princess will not overload them like they usually do to allow for plenty of space to accommodate social distancing. One way to possibly do that is to have more tenders in the water. But if they do start sailing again in July, which we hope they do, the ships will probably be running at half capacity, so overcrowding may not be too much of an issue. It definitely won't be on the Island Princess cruises we're currently booked on.

7 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

On my last cruises I couldn't watch TV until the safe video had finished so nothings changed. Even if muster is done on TV what about social distancing in the theatre, pool. spa, piazza?

Always turn on the TV as soon as you get to the cabin to let it play the video while yo go to lunch.

I suspect the amount of chairs available at the pools & piazza will be limited to keep plenty of space between people.

I imagine that the chair hogs will be watched very closely since any seating will be at a premium. 

They could also limit the number of people in the show lounge for each performance so that spacing could also be increased....and at the same time increase the number or performances accordingly. 

It's not my idea of a fun cruise so we'll just wait it out until they have a vaccine & things return to normal.