What do you miss most about not cruising ?

On 5/6/2020 at 3:36 PM, themouse11 said:

I miss riding in the elevators and carrying on the conversation with any random guest like we were best friends.

I spend a lot of my free time riding the elevators and pushing all the buttons when no one is looking!  😁

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I spend a lot of my free time riding the elevators and pushing all the buttons when no one is looking!  😁

And not just on cruise ships ?  LOL.

15 hours ago, ldubs said:

What would you have done when there was no automation and elevator operators to select the floors for you ?

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 10:02 PM, complawyer said:

allow me to elaborate further 

Do not feel as though you need to elaborate.  A certain someone cannot help but question everyone else's preferences.  Just ignore them like many of the rest of us have. 

By the way, I also love sunset views (and sunrises) from my balcony.

enhance

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Do not feel as though you need to elaborate.  A certain someone cannot help but question everyone else's preferences.  Just ignore them like many of the rest of us have. 

And some people ask for elaboration and then learn some fun things. I guess some people just aren't that interested in other people's feelings/experiences/etc.

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

What would you have done when there was no automation and elevator operators to select the floors for you ?

Aw, good point! haha.  The Sears & Roebuck store in Modesto had one of those elevator operators.  That was big time for us.  

You know I remember my first escalator ride.  It was at some large department store in San Francisco.  Pretty big deal for a young farm kid.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

if you spend all that time riding the elevators and pushing buttons, please let me know as soon as you book your next cruise....

i'll make sure im on a different ship!!!!!

Look for me on the elevator going to the front of the ship!  😁😁

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ldubs said:

Aw, good point! haha.  The Sears & Roebuck store in Modesto had one of those elevator operators.  That was big time for us.  

You know I remember my first escalator ride.  It was at some large department store in San Francisco.  Pretty big deal for a young farm kid.  

My first escalator ride was very monumental.I was 6 years old.I went with a friend and his parents to a Department store in Brooklyn ,No problem going up but going down I fell and was so tramutized that I did not go on an escalator till age 20.Once again I fell and I have never been on an escalator since.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I fell and was so tramutized that I did not go on an escalator till age 20.Once again I fell and I have never been on an escalator since.

Sorry to hear that; it sounds like both were quite the unpleasant experience. Going on the tube in London would present quite the challenge as there are some steep escalators leading down to the trains.

3 minutes ago, Pale Gail Sails said:

Sorry to hear that; it sounds like both were quite the unpleasant experience. Going on the tube in London would present quite the challenge as there are some steep escalators leading down to the trains.

Due to disabilities unfortunately I will never go to London .I should have gone when I was healthy.However,one of my daughters went to college in the UK and she told me all about it.

22 minutes ago, Pale Gail Sails said:

I remember when they still had some of the old, somewhat rickety, wooden escalators in the Tube stops -- the kind that contributed (in a terrible way) to this fire, and were eventually all replaced:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Cross_fire

while i can truly sympathize with your plight, dont you think this is getting a little off topic? this thread is supposed to be about what we would miss cruising, and unfortunately not your fear of escalators.

besides, what can be so hard about riding up or down on an escalator. you put your feet on the first step, hold onto the handrail, stand still and go up or down. at the end you put one foot off then the other and voila! you have taken the escalator.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ok, i apologize and am now properly chastised! i hadnt considered physically handicapped when i entered my thoughts.

by the way, my response was directed to the individual that claimed to ride the elevators and push all the buttons.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, complawyer said:

ok, i apologize and am now properly chastised! i hadnt considered physically handicapped when i entered my thoughts.

by the way, my response was directed to the individual that claimed to ride the elevators and push all the buttons.

That was me.  I push all the buttons on escalators too.  Well, only the ones on cruise ships that is.  

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My first escalator ride was very monumental.I was 6 years old.I went with a friend and his parents to a Department store in Brooklyn ,No problem going up but going down I fell and was so tramutized that I did not go on an escalator till age 20.Once again I fell and I have never been on an escalator since.

Well, sounds like you made the right call about escalators.  Pale Gail mentioned Tube stations.  I think the longest escalators I've been on have to have been in those places.  

Anyway, sorry to everyone about getting off topic.  If it helps, I don't miss not taking any escalators on cruise ships.  😁

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Well, sounds like you made the right call about escalators.  Pale Gail mentioned Tube stations.  I think the longest escalators I've been on have to have been in those places.  

Anyway, sorry to everyone about getting off topic.  If it helps, I don't miss not taking any escalators on cruise ships.  😁

Any cruise ship where escalators fit in are likely to strike me as being too much like a mall - and therefore to be avoided.

24 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Any cruise ship where escalators fit in are likely to strike me as being too much like a mall - and therefore to be avoided.

Even the ones that take you from the front to the back of the ship?  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

Neither do I,lol

Shopping for, and snagging a last minute cruise while on a land trip.  Letting  DW that our plans have changed and we have to be at the port for embarkation in a few days or a week.

Edited by iancal

On 5/8/2020 at 2:18 PM, clo said:

And some people ask for elaboration and then learn some fun things. I guess some people just aren't that interested in other people's feelings/experiences/etc.

Unfortunately the perception is often that our choices are being criticized rather than that you are seeking to understand others.  One of the drawbacks of on-line text only communication.

2 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Unfortunately the perception is often that our choices are being criticized rather than that you are seeking to understand others.  One of the drawbacks of on-line text only communication.

True and I'm trying to couch my questions in 'gentler' terms. Thanks.

• Like 1