What do you miss most about not cruising ?

Balcony breakfast and evening martinis are 2 things I miss most.  Those, and not giving a darn what day it is or what time it is.  Plus, cruises are one type of vacation where my phone goes in the safe and stays there until the end.  Just having my key card in my pocket is very refreshing. 

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2020 at 2:02 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

Miss the days I'm not cleaning, cooking, washing, etc. at home.

I miss not having to do the ruddy DISHES after meals!

I'm the dishwasher! She does the cooking

and trust me, you wouldn't want us switching roles!

I'd rather go swimming like these guys..

DSCN9563.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

I miss not having to do the ruddy DISHES after meals!

I'm the dishwasher! She does the cooking

and trust me, you wouldn't want us switching roles!

I'd rather go swimming like these guys..

DSCN9563.JPG

LOL, I also do the dishes while she does the great majority of the cooking. But she is the swimmer in the family; there have been summers where she has never missed a day.

• Like 1

I miss that moment when I first enter the ship and that WOW moment. This ship is huge. I'm so lost. I miss the camaraderie that developed during the voyage and every moment becomes like meeting an old friend. I miss riding in the elevators and carrying on the conversation with any random guest like we were best friends. I miss having my room Stewart call me by name as I search for my cabin going the wrong direction. I miss my servers in the main dining room who always make my dinner feel like memorable experience. 

I miss wandering around the ship in my shorts and pool shoes without a care in the world. And I miss waking up in the morning in a new town, a new day, and a new adventure. I miss cruising.  I have 4 cruises booked already after the corona. 

1106190214.jpg

• Like 2

I miss everything about it, all the family planning of where we will eat, what we will do or not do.The anticipation waiting for the final countdown, butterflies on my way to the port, walking through the tube and finally stepping on board. 
Family time, my kids are adults but we still try to cruise together at least 2x a year. True family time, nothing like it. We each have our different things to do together to bond. The crew, the crew instantly becomes extended family members, memories are made on a ship that can not be made any place else. We love it, we love NCL and we sometimes see crew we know from previous trips and it’s like seeing our family.

Looking out onto the darkness with moon shining on the ocean is the best medicine in the world.

Get us back to the SEA we need it!

We have been canceled 2x since this virus started but we have 3 on the books.

Cannot wait to SEA you all.

I miss the wonderful pampering which comes with the beautiful views, peacefulness of the water, and ultimate delicious meals. My husband is blind. I am his caretaker. Cruising is our wonderful relaxation allowing us to spend good times together. This past January we celebrated our 50th anniversary for the first time in Star Class on Anthem. It was actually delayed because of the beginning of this nightmare. Several Chinese passengers were tested and found negative for the virus. The captain got special permission to sail into Bermuda in January (2 70 degree  days). It wasn't our planned cruise, but it was ironically where my husband and I spent our honeymoon. These are the beautiful memories I miss.......and I want to make more!!!

• Like 2

When the bags arrive outside the door and Mrs Ldubs corrects my unpacking.  😃

Guy on a guitar in one of the lounges.  Especially if some Beatles music is played.   

Enjoying a meal or even a snack outside on the fantail.

I miss most the Marvelous Veranda Room Service Breakfasts on those "dam" ships. With Mimosas to kick off another Marvelous Cruise day. The smiling cabin Stewart, the smiling friendly folks all over the providing great service, the Cleanliness, & the motion of the ship... Great Entertainment! Great Relaxation! Not a dish to wash or bed to make! Just got out cancellation of our TA cruise from Rome in October. 😭

I am 59 and have been a cruiser for 3 decades.  My own favorite destination is Bermuda (NYC is close).  I prefer smaller ships spending 4 days there, but 3 days is the trend.  Cruising excels for convenience, entertainment, food and service.  But, it is ironic right now, what makes cruising unique.  If one likes social distancing, 7 day island spots are great.  For cruisers, however, social proximity brings great interaction with family and strangers, including staff.  CC Forums help that process somewhat (We rented a boat with roll call friends from Texas), but I think meeting+greeting even on "crowded" decks is a big part of the experience.     

2 hours ago, themouse11 said:

I miss that moment when I first enter the ship and that WOW moment. This ship is huge. I'm so lost. I miss the camaraderie that developed during the voyage and every moment becomes like meeting an old friend. I miss riding in the elevators and carrying on the conversation with any random guest like we were best friends. I miss having my room Stewart call me by name as I search for my cabin going the wrong direction. I miss my servers in the main dining room who always make my dinner feel like memorable experience. 

I miss wandering around the ship in my shorts and pool shoes without a care in the world. And I miss waking up in the morning in a new town, a new day, and a new adventure. I miss cruising.  I have 4 cruises booked already after the corona. 

1106190214.jpg

What a great first post! Welcome to cruisecritic.

Can I share that dessert with you? Oh wait, I'll order my own.

15 minutes ago, complawyer said:

sitting on my balcony, watching the sunset, with a cold beer or a glass of champagne in my hand

Do you choose your cabin to have a sunset view? We chose one to avoid that 🙂

2 hours ago, clo said:

Do you choose your cabin to have a sunset view? We chose one to avoid that 🙂

Doesn't that depend on which direction the ship travelling ???  

It is a bit like the question can I have a balcony  with sun all the time

Those wishing to avoid the sun take an interior cabin... 

3 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Those wishing to avoid the sun take an interior cabin... 

That's hilarious 🙂 There's a big difference between morning and afternoon sun. If we're sailing in one direction then, you bet, it's easy to choose.

allow me to elaborate further (1) i am an avid photographer (2) i usually book a cabin on the port side of the ship. i find that when the ship docs, that's when you can see the harbor. i have my camera and a trusty telephoto lens and start shooting away (3) with camera in hand, i await patiently on my balcony as the sun sets, and therefore i am able to take some amazing shots of the sun setting into the sea. They look even better blown up to an 8x10.

its hard to describe unless you cansee it for yourself, but you get this great big orange ball surrounded by clouds, sinking slowly into the sea.if that doesnt make you miss crusing, i dont know what else will. the cold beer or glass of champagne doesnt hurt either

• Like 1

I miss everything about cruising!  My husband and I are devoted Royal Caribbean addicts, and when I board a ship, I enter my "Happy Place."  We always feel welcomed and spoiled.  I love meeting the wonderful, hard working, amazing crew members from all over the world.  I love meeting other cruisers and making new cruise friends.  I love the big, gorgeous new ships with so many things to enjoy on board (from Progressive Trivia to Ripcord I Fly).  I love all the fabulous ports and learning about cultures all over the world.  I love having something to do every hour of the day on board if I want to be busy, OR just finding a deck chair in the warm, cozy, peaceful Solarium and reading a good book.  And of course, the food is terrific.  We are Windjammer fans.  We can all completely enjoy our down time without feeling guilty.  And we can enjoy our adventures onshore.  Then it's back to work for a few more months so we can cruise again!

I miss the anticipation off feasting my eyes on the beauty of the ship as we approach the port! I miss seeing our stateroom for the first time, knowing it will become as familiar as home within the next few hours.  I miss the first cocktail on our balcony.  I miss waking up in a new place every morning.  I miss greeting our smiling waiters and stateroom attendants, who are always happy to see us.  (Or at least pretend to be). I miss strolling on board from one venue to another, knowing there will always be music and entertainment there for the asking.  I miss sailing the deep blue sea! Oh how I hope we can cruise as scheduled next January!  

I miss being able to take my third cruise with my DH for our 30th anniversary this summer.  Unlike the rest of you, we are not regular cruisers.  We enjoy independent travel and making our own plans and arrangements.  Our first cruise was the Greek Islands back in the '90's.  We didn't cruise again till last summer, when we ended our independent tour of Alaska with a southbound cruise.  In the intervening years, we forgot how relaxing cruising could be!  It's all about the ports for us, but wow, those ocean breezes on the balcony and the great meals and not having to pack and unpack every couple days are big bonuses.  So for our upcoming milestone anniversary, we found the perfect Mediterranean itinerary and thought we were all set to celebrate.  It wasn't meant to be this year.  Everyone's health permitting, maybe it will be in our future. 

I miss sitting on the balcony (preferably a sunset veranda), and reading. I miss looking up, and feeling the breeze on my face and seeing the wake of the ship as we sail along. Words cannot describe the sense of calm and relaxation I experience when cruising. I miss seeing the shore action as we dock, or the sunset/city lights as we sail away. I travel for work and so a cruise is a time to pick up a book, or just relax with no need to rush.

My husband tells me that he misses meeting new people and the energy around a ship. Many is the time that I left the balcony to join him for trivia or some other event, only to find him surrounded by new found friends and telling me he signed us up for some activity that struck his fancy.

1 hour ago, Aunt Holly Rose said:

It's all about the ports for us, but wow, those ocean breezes on the balcony and the great meals and not having to pack and unpack every couple days are big bonuses.  

I could not put it any better.

• Like 1

I think the big thing about cruising... to us it is the only holiday we have ever taken..... a short drive from home   unpack bags.... then no driving ,no cooking, no cleaning......

and some nice people do everything for you.

and watch the world and the ocean go by.... just can't do that on land......

only spent 102 days at sea.... can't wait for more...

Cheers Don

• Like 1