When will RC cancel the rest of June?

22 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

And Italy announced yesterday that they’re going to start allowing EU tourism with international to start soon.

You have a source for that?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Wasn’t it just last week people were posting that Italy was closed to all border crossings until 2021??

Yes but the Italian Dept of Tourism claims that’s not true.

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I read it on Facebook yesterday but am having a hard time finding it.  However, if you go to www.the-sun.com, you’ll see an article on their plans to open in 2020. If I find the original posting, I’ll update this thread.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

Yes but the Italian Dept of Tourism claims that’s not true.

I read it on Facebook yesterday but am having a hard time finding it.  However, if you go to www.the-sun.com, you’ll see an article on their plans to open in 2020. If I find the original posting, I’ll update this thread.

There is no information that Italy will start International Tourism soon.  

The sun is not a trustworthy news source.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

There is no information that Italy will start International Tourism soon.  

The sun is not a trustworthy news source.

No reason to believe me.  We’ll see what happens.  Hopefully I’ll be in Rome in October.

25 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

No reason to believe me.  We’ll see what happens.  Hopefully I’ll be in Rome in October.

Here are some of the recent articles about international travel in the EU. Definitely no mention of the EU relaxing international travel soon if you define soon as within 5 months.

https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-travel-boss-urges-eu-to-relax-curbs-on-tourism/a-53319504

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52547403

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

So Facebook is considered a reliable source?

Where did I say it was a reliable source?  I was just stating what I heard. You are by far the most negative person on here!  That’s why so many block you. I am so sick of people beating you up on CC for stating what you heard.  That’s why so many have stopped visiting here.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 5/5/2020 at 4:44 PM, kwokpot said:

German news, French news,  Italian news in English,  All agree,  Italy and Greece have both said they are preparing for the summer tourist season.  France has opened it's borders to all EU citizens and has no quarantine requirements.

On 5/6/2020 at 12:11 AM, sellwingri said:

Where did I say it was a reliable source?  I was just stating what I heard. You are by far the most negative person on here!  That’s why so many block you. I am so sick of people beating you up on CC for stating what you heard.  That’s why so many have stopped visiting here.

Absolutely agree! 

• Like 3

EU borders will open for EU citizens only. Princess and HAL just canceled their complete Europe season. I trust it will be European ships and cruise lines for Europeans in late Summer and Autumn and US ships and cruise lines in the Caribbean for Americans this year. This avoids intercontinental travel. As an American cruise line Royal  has to decide if they keep at least one or two ships like Jewel in Europe for Europeans or not.

Edited by Saab4444

4 hours ago, crazyank said:

German news, French news,  Italian news in English,  All agree,  Italy and Greece have both said they are preparing for the summer tourist season.  France has opened it's borders to all EU citizens and has no quarantine requirements.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200505-france-to-limit-international-travel-this-summer-macron-says-covid-19

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/05/06/why-your-italy-summer-holiday-travel-is-off/#53c44c125528

No, Italy has not closed its borders to tourists until 2021
Everyone wants to know when travel to Italy will be possible again. 
AFP
Clare Speak
clare.speak@thelocal.com 
clarespeak
29 April 202009:44 CEST+02:00
After misleading reports circulated this week claiming that Italy had decided to close its borders to visitors until next year, here's a look at the facts on travel to Italy.

Several of The Local's readers in Italy got in touch on Wednesday morning to ask us about suspect claims on social media and in some international news outlets stating that the Italian government has closed the country's borders to tourists until 2021.

Fortunately, the Italian government has not announced any such measure.

The Italian embassy in Moscow on Tuesday denied reports in some Russian media outlets of an alleged statement concerning the closure of Italian borders until the end of this year by Italy's culture and tourism minister, Dario Franceschini.

"The matter of Italy closing its state borders has not been discussed," the embassy stated.

Franceschini himself, when asked about the claims in Italy's Chamber of Deputies on Tuesday, said: "As is all too obvious, I have never spoken, nor ever thought, of closing the Italian borders to tourists for 2020," according to Il Messaggero.
"I am working on the exact opposite. I proposed yesterday at the meeting of tourism ministers of the European Union, a European uniformity of the safety rules with respect to the risk of contagion, allowing the free movement of tourists within the European Union. So we're starting bilateral talks with other countries that have a lot of tourism going to to Italy," he added.
"Unfortunately, it is clear that fake news on closed borders is being circulated, with hostile intentions towards our country."

Central Venice without the usual tourist crowds in April. Photo: AFP
And the president of Italy's National Tourism Agency, Giorgio Palmucci, stated: "Tourism in Italy will start again, with caution and maximum safety.  Minister Franceschini did well to clarify that no border closure is foreseen."
"Those who love Italy must be allowed to return to enjoy it, in compliance with governmental and regional provisions," he continued.
"This is a delicate phase in which it is essential to defend Italy even when it comes to correct communications. Bad information and fake news risk creating serious damage and unjustified alarmism."
Technically, Italy's borders are not currently and never have been closed to tourism.
But of course, though there's no ban on foreign visitors and most Italian airports are actually still open, the strict measures aimed at containing the spread of the coronavirus make travel to and from the country nearly impossible at the moment.
READ ALSO: Why are planes still flying to and from Italy during lockdown?

So when will we be able to travel to Italy?
This depends on when Italy's government, and other governments, deem it safe to relax various restrictions.
Hotels are closed. Museums may be allowed to reopen from mid-May, and bars and restaurants could be allowed to open their doors from June 1st, according to the latest government decree announced on Sunday.
Q&A: What are Italy's new rules under lockdown phase two?
But, while nothing has been confirmed yet, only domestic tourism within Italy is likely to be allowed this summer.
"We are making a strong investment in domestic tourism, because this will be a summer of holidays in Italy," Franchescini said in an interview on Wednesday morning, in which he reiterated that claims of border closures until 2021 were false.
Under current rules, no travel is allowed at all except for emergencies, work, and health-related reasons. Italy's residents still need to complete a form every time they leave the house.
As Italy moves into "phase two" of its lockdown measures some rules will gradually be loosened over the following weeks, beginning on May 4th, though movements will still be restricted.
It is not yet known when Italy's residents will be allowed to travel freely within the country, or even in their own region.
International travel is not expected to be allowed to resume until "phase three" begins. And at the moment it's not known how long the second phase, which hasn't even started yet, may last.

I called RCL this morning to find out if they knew if and when our cruise (June 22nd) would cancel. He assured me that an announcement on the next round of cancellations should come out between the 20th and 27th this month. Unfortunately that doesn't exactly help me because we have not yet purchased flights to Amsterdam. So, if the cruise remains booked, I would have a three week window to shop for airfare - betting the prices of flights skyrocket. Maybe I should just buy airfare now for the heck of it? Even so, right now it is indefinite when the EU lifts their ban on US travel over there.

On 5/7/2020 at 10:40 AM, ssb said:

No, Italy has not closed its borders to tourists until 2021
Everyone wants to know when travel to Italy will be possible again. 
AFP
Clare Speak
clare.speak@thelocal.com 
clarespeak
29 April 202009:44 CEST+02:00
After misleading reports circulated this week claiming that Italy had decided to close its borders to visitors until next year, here's a look at the facts on travel to Italy.

Several of The Local's readers in Italy got in touch on Wednesday morning to ask us about suspect claims on social media and in some international news outlets stating that the Italian government has closed the country's borders to tourists until 2021.

Fortunately, the Italian government has not announced any such measure.

The Italian embassy in Moscow on Tuesday denied reports in some Russian media outlets of an alleged statement concerning the closure of Italian borders until the end of this year by Italy's culture and tourism minister, Dario Franceschini.

"The matter of Italy closing its state borders has not been discussed," the embassy stated.

Franceschini himself, when asked about the claims in Italy's Chamber of Deputies on Tuesday, said: "As is all too obvious, I have never spoken, nor ever thought, of closing the Italian borders to tourists for 2020," according to Il Messaggero.
"I am working on the exact opposite. I proposed yesterday at the meeting of tourism ministers of the European Union, a European uniformity of the safety rules with respect to the risk of contagion, allowing the free movement of tourists within the European Union. So we're starting bilateral talks with other countries that have a lot of tourism going to to Italy," he added.
"Unfortunately, it is clear that fake news on closed borders is being circulated, with hostile intentions towards our country."

Central Venice without the usual tourist crowds in April. Photo: AFP
And the president of Italy's National Tourism Agency, Giorgio Palmucci, stated: "Tourism in Italy will start again, with caution and maximum safety.  Minister Franceschini did well to clarify that no border closure is foreseen."
"Those who love Italy must be allowed to return to enjoy it, in compliance with governmental and regional provisions," he continued.
"This is a delicate phase in which it is essential to defend Italy even when it comes to correct communications. Bad information and fake news risk creating serious damage and unjustified alarmism."
Technically, Italy's borders are not currently and never have been closed to tourism.
But of course, though there's no ban on foreign visitors and most Italian airports are actually still open, the strict measures aimed at containing the spread of the coronavirus make travel to and from the country nearly impossible at the moment.
READ ALSO: Why are planes still flying to and from Italy during lockdown?

So when will we be able to travel to Italy?
This depends on when Italy's government, and other governments, deem it safe to relax various restrictions.
Hotels are closed. Museums may be allowed to reopen from mid-May, and bars and restaurants could be allowed to open their doors from June 1st, according to the latest government decree announced on Sunday.
Q&A: What are Italy's new rules under lockdown phase two?
But, while nothing has been confirmed yet, only domestic tourism within Italy is likely to be allowed this summer.
"We are making a strong investment in domestic tourism, because this will be a summer of holidays in Italy," Franchescini said in an interview on Wednesday morning, in which he reiterated that claims of border closures until 2021 were false.
Under current rules, no travel is allowed at all except for emergencies, work, and health-related reasons. Italy's residents still need to complete a form every time they leave the house.
As Italy moves into "phase two" of its lockdown measures some rules will gradually be loosened over the following weeks, beginning on May 4th, though movements will still be restricted.
It is not yet known when Italy's residents will be allowed to travel freely within the country, or even in their own region.
International travel is not expected to be allowed to resume until "phase three" begins. And at the moment it's not known how long the second phase, which hasn't even started yet, may last.

Glad other countries have their Fake News too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Glad other countries have their Fake News too. 

Based on the SEC filing today by RCL - it's going to be awhile as they are still in process of reducing their debt loan and beginning to transition ships to cold layup.     I suspect that is some of the ships on their way to Europe to deliver crew (such as Empress and Freedom).  

image.thumb.png.2c386d4172a50d2b2adf5ba1a7061f1a.png

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

I called RCL this morning to find out if they knew if and when our cruise (June 22nd) would cancel. He assured me that an announcement on the next round of cancellations should come out between the 20th and 27th this month. Unfortunately that doesn't exactly help me because we have not yet purchased flights to Amsterdam. So, if the cruise remains booked, I would have a three week window to shop for airfare - betting the prices of flights skyrocket. Maybe I should just buy airfare now for the heck of it? Even so, right now it is indefinite when the EU lifts their ban on US travel over there.

If you're able to buy airfare through Royal Caribbean, that would be the way to go.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/plan-a-cruise/transportation

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

I would be more concerned with the limited availability of the flights. I don't think in a months time people will be ready mentally or financially to jump on a flight to Europe. How are the prices through Air to Sea?   I have a follow up Dr appointment at NYU in Manhattan post surgery. I'm not looking forward to even going there. My last two appointments were video appointments but now he wants to see me in person.

Edited by Iamcruzin

8 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I would be more concerned with the limited availability of the flights. I don't think in a months time people will be ready mentally or financially to jump on a flight to Europe. How are the prices through Air to Sea?   I have a follow up Dr appointment at NYU in Manhattan post surgery. I'm not looking forward to even going there. My last two appointments were video appointments but now he wants to see me in person.

Funny you mention that. I typically love taking the train into the city and either spending the day or the weekend. I get such a rush being in the city environment. But I have no interest in being there. I have to check my Metro card to see what the expiration date is on it. 

• Like 1