Would you cruise if only ports were private islands?

George C

33 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

What about RCL and NCL charging $237 and $168 for bottled water and we were paying $500/person/day. I would use the word "chintzy" .

But if you are paying 500 a day you are in a suite and bottle water is free in suite lounge . I know you also get a large bottle on first day for rccl suites, we get liquor package which includes water . 

3 minutes ago, George C said:

But if you are paying 500 a day you are in a suite and bottle water is free in suite lounge . I know you also get a large bottle on first day for rccl suites, we get liquor package which includes water . 

Is that a new thing? I have not been given any free bottle in the Haven lounge.

38 minutes ago, George C said:

Dear GC,  I went back to my folders. It was a Grand Suite in 7/2017 Allure. Water package $82/24 bottles. Loved the cruise so booked OS on Allure 2018 and now got free bottled water, wine ,etc along with wifi. NCL Breakaway 6/2019 Haven H6 got free wifi and 3x specialty restaurants, but had to pay for water, wine and gratuities charged to statement account.(I always tip extra cash for good service on top of DSC). They are called perks nowadays. Switched from both these lines for different reasons to MSC YC. Water, food, second class treatment if you are not Pinnacle, etc...

P.S. Just drink bottled water nowadays and brush our teeth in bottled water as well.

Edited by rattanchair
P.S.

35 minutes ago, George C said:

Never heard of such a thing. A maximum what I have gotten was a bottle of water and visitor's post card. I always heard about those liquor packages but I have never tried one myself. I am an old school drinker. If I want a glass of whiskey, I go to a bar or purchase a bottle and take to the cabin. I am not really a fan of all that all-inclusive stuff

21 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Never heard of such a thing. A maximum what I have gotten was a bottle of water and visitor's post card. I always heard about those liquor packages but I have never tried one myself. I am an old school drinker. If I want a glass of whiskey, I go to a bar or purchase a bottle and take to the cabin. I am not really a fan of all that all-inclusive stuff

What cruise line (s) are you cruising with that allows you to purchase a bottle of whisky to take back to your cabin to enjoy during the cruise? 

Edited by davekathy

48 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Is that a new thing? I have not been given any free bottle in the Haven lounge.

I was talking about rccl suites , I do not cruise ncl , all suite lounges on rccl and celebrity have free bottle water. Higher suites have free mini bars at no extra charge, also free mini bar on msc yacht club.

23 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Dear GC,  I went back to my folders. It was a Grand Suite in 7/2017 Allure. Water package $82/24 bottles. Loved the cruise so booked OS on Allure 2018 and now got free bottled water, wine ,etc along with wifi. NCL Breakaway 6/2019 Haven H6 got free wifi and 3x specialty restaurants, but had to pay for water, wine and gratuities charged to statement account.(I always tip extra cash for good service on top of DSC). They are called perks nowadays. Switched from both these lines for different reasons to MSC YC. Water, food, second class treatment if you are not Pinnacle, etc...

P.S. Just drink bottled water nowadays and brush our teeth in bottled water as well.

Yes we are both fans of msc yacht club, I do like rccl grand suites and owners suite was even better, 

11 minutes ago, George C said:

Yes we are both fans of msc yacht club, I do like rccl grand suites and owners suite was even better, 

Dear GC,   In case of an emergency, brake glass !

If this isn’t an emergency, I don’t know what is. So I created my own beach:

We all love the beach, especially on vacation and extra specially Ocean Cay’s beaches. Last summer while on the MSC Seaside, which I was lucky enough to have snagged a YC cabin for a decent price. I noticed that the first night there was a noise keeping me from falling asleep. It sounded like an unused closet hanger was swaying back and forth hitting the wall of the closet every ‘forth’. Unfortunately, I discovered it was in the closet next door. I did not drag myself out of bed and complain to the night concierge on duty, not wanting to disturb my ‘hard of hearing’ neighbor. So, I came up with the brilliant idea (for future situations) of ordering a bedside sound machine to drown out all nefarious, noxious sounds encountered while at sea. Little did I know how wonderful this little machine has helped to enhance my ‘visualization’ in my present predicament. It has the delightful sound of the ocean waves crashing (or lapping) upon the shore.

I read somewhere that many beaches are always closed for a myriad of reasons. Today it is Covid, but usually it is riptides, stinging tentacles of the man-o-war, noxious red tide, polluted water from fecal discharges, etc. There are many who love to lay out on the sand and some who cover themselves ‘head to foot’ beneath the sand only to find several hours later that they are bitten up, infected with, or parasitic larvae have burrowed into their skins. The UV radiation only reacts with the top few millimeters of beach sand and is the only ‘safe’ part of the beach, unless you lay in the tar floating on top.

But ‘my’ MSC Ocean Cay oasis/garage has its own beach. I purchased the largest kitty litter tray I could find (on line) and bought a 40lb bag of sterile play box sand (from Walmart delivered). I set it in the sun just outside by my deck (driveway). When the feeling hits (generally after my afternoon lounge nap), I turn on my sound machine of the ocean surf, take a dip in my pool (foot bath), and step into my beach with “my ten fine toes to wiggle in the sand”.

“What a revolti’ development this is !”  Chester Riley (William Bendix) You remember the “Life of Riley”?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, George C said:

I was talking about rccl suites , I do not cruise ncl , all suite lounges on rccl and celebrity have free bottle water. Higher suites have free mini bars at no extra charge, also free mini bar on msc yacht club.

You quoted someone talking about RCI and NCL without saying that you meant RCI and not NCL. Now I know what you meant. 

15 hours ago, davekathy said:

What cruise line (s) are you cruising with that allows you to purchase a bottle of whisky to take back to your cabin to enjoy during the cruise? 

I don't know about buying directly from the bar but CCL will allow you to buy a bottle either before the cruise or from room service (at an incredible markup, of course). I'm not sure about room service availability on Royal but you can buy a bottle for the cabin before the cruise. (I believe NCL also sells bottles for the cabin pre-cruise but it's been a number of years since we've been with them.) 

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I don't know about buying directly from the bar but CCL will allow you to buy a bottle either before the cruise or from room service (at an incredible markup, of course). I'm not sure about room service availability on Royal but you can buy a bottle for the cabin before the cruise. (I believe NCL also sells bottles for the cabin pre-cruise but it's been a number of years since we've been with them.) 

I thought of those options also. However I've also read some threads where some claim that they have purchased liquor in the cruise ships duty free store and taken it back to their cabin to enjoy during their cruise. 🤨

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I thought of those options also. However I've also read some threads where some claim that they have purchased liquor in the cruise ships duty free store and taken it back to their cabin to enjoy during their cruise. 🤨

That would be a horse of a different color and experience suggests otherwise (but depending on the line/ship you might be able to take your purchase back to your cabin on the last night if that is when they deliver all of the other alcohol purchases, although I've never tried that). 

45 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

That would be a horse of a different color and experience suggests otherwise (but depending on the line/ship you might be able to take your purchase back to your cabin on the last night if that is when they deliver all of the other alcohol purchases, although I've never tried that). 

I don't believe it happens either during the cruise even though a few (very) have implied they have done it. I've seen cruisers walking out of the duty free shops on the the last evening of the cruise carrying their duty free liquor packages on Celebratory and RC.

Back to the topic, we have no interest going on a cruise that only stops at private islands. 🥱

Edited by davekathy

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

The only line I remember seeing bottles for sale at the bar was NCL.  I'm not a regular NCL cruiser though, so I don't know if they still do it.  But purchased in the duty free shop?  I'd be very surprised if any line allowed that.  

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

. I've seen cruisers walking out of the duty free shops on the the last evening of the cruise carrying their duty free liquor packages on Celebratory and RC.

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

The only line I remember seeing bottles for sale at the bar was NCL.  I'm not a regular NCL cruiser though, so I don't know if they still do it.  But purchased in the duty free shop?  I'd be very surprised if any line allowed that.  

As davekathy says they've seen cruisers walking out of the duty free shop with their alcohol on the last night, and I believe that is the only time it would be allowed (if the DF alcohol is normally delivered on the last night). (I have also read of people purchasing duty free alcohol during the first leg of a back to back and then having it in the cabin for the second leg, but that is also a different scenario.) 

Edited by sparks1093

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

But purchased in the duty free shop?  I'd be very surprised if any line allowed that.  

Purchased from DF and taken immediately back to one's Stateroom = Cunard

I love to cruise! I’ve been in 37 cruises and have stayed healthy on all of them except one, during and after my arrival home. I have seen people do some disgusting things that compromise other people’s health, not using sanitizer or not washing their hands after using the bathroom to name a couple. I’ve also seen people at the buffet line who constantly lick their fingers and blow their nose on the linen napkins. I have always tried to be vigilant as I am germaphobic. I don’t do pools or spas and clean my bathroom and other areas in my cabin each day. To be honest with you, as much as I love the great cabin service, I would prefer that they did not come in to clean each day because that just means I have to keep cleaning after the Steward cleans. To answer the question, I would cruise even if the only place the cruise was going was to a private island. They are all my favorite! People have to take responsibility for their own health. They have to be careful and vigilant. We can’t leave it all to anyone else. The cruise lines can do tons of preventative measures but it only takes one person to compromise it all. People have different levels of hygiene, some being very poor,  but hopefully they have learned to be better at it with the recent Pandemic. Please use good, proper hygiene people! I want to cruise again! 

• Like 2