HAL and Seabourn are losing avid cruisers because of refunds

wesport

This is just my opinion . Waiting 90 days for refunds is unnerving. I still get Seth Wayne drinking cocktails on my Facebook feed. No news of executive pay cuts. What is Arnold Donald doing in expense reductions to save money. Is Oprah still around? I am waiting for a refund on one Seabourn and two HAL cruises. I understand what’s going on , but giving refunds quicker would make me more willing to plop down a small deposit for 2021. People are resorting to disputing charges and contacting attorneys to get their money back. I cancelled a January cruise, and got the standard 90 days for a refund of $50 (Black Friday sale) . Really. I think they are losing many long time high spending cruisers. HAL and Seabourn show us at least you are trying. 

• Like 11

I think that it is a good idea to write about how upsetting it is not to receive our refunds.  Maybe HAL will pay attention if enough people complain.  I wouldn't mind waiting as much if we were given some kind of timeline as to when to expect payment.   I submitted the paperwork seven weeks ago and have heard nothing from HAL.  

• Like 5

I believe that HAL has a much larger challenge.  The demographics of their longer cruises, the health of those customers, and the willingness or ability of those customers to cruise and/or to take longer cruises given what has recently transpired in the industry.

That is over and above their current financial difficulties.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wesport said:

I still get Seth Wayne drinking cocktails on my Facebook feed.  

They showed him on the local news here a couple days ago.  Considering all that's happening, I found his skit, cocktail in hand, a little tasteless.  I don't think the timing is right.   JMHO. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is as good a place for ranting as any.  Many people feel mistreated.  If they want to talk about it, fine with me.

Hopefully HAL people will read some of the complaints and realize the error of their ways.

However, my guess is they just don't have the available cash required for the refunds.

• Like 7

I am with you, it is very upsetting.  This is our story:

-On Feb 25, I booked our first Princess cruise to Alaska for August.  Stupid me, I paid the whole amount even if I could have paid only a down payment (I learned and will never do this again!)

-I cancelled our Princess cruise on March 17

-On April 9, I filled a dispute with our credit card company (through Bank of Montreal).  BMO explained: 1-) once BMO start my dispute (an employee looking at the documents I had just filled), BMO will apply a conditional credit back to my  account of the amount paid to Princess on Feb 25   2-) I would not be able to transfer this credit to my bank account   3-) From the day I would receive the credit, Princess would have 45 days to “defend” themselves.    So the credit could be conditional for 45 days...

-On May 3, I emailed BMO inquiring about my dispute

-On May 5, I saw a credit for the amount paid on Feb 25 on BMO credit card statement and it was called ‘Dispute Princess’.   I decided to call BMO to make sure it was a conditional credit.  I was told it was conditional and that Princess had 45 days to reply to the dispute.  BUT, for the 1st time, I was told I could transfer the money to my bank account (they call it a cash advance even if you have a credit on your account!) but if the dispute would not go my way, I would be responsible to reimburse BMO + interest for cash advance.

-I transferred the credit from BMO credit card to BMO bank account.  I then transferred all monies to another bank.  I am lucky, BMO is not my primary bank account.  

-My credit card can deal with Princess!  The cost of our cruise was charged to our credit card within 24 hrs on Feb 25 but once you cancel, you have to wait 60-90 days to receive your money back.  Do they think we are stupid?  

Do not hesitate and dispute your charge ASAP.

The Canadians!😎

• Like 5

I think there would be less agitation if we actually had confidence that we will receive our money at some point.  If I had confidence I will actually receive my reimbursement, I can wait 90 days if I have to.  But at this point, it feels like daily there is a growing sense of just being strung along.

Don

• Like 7

The title of this thread indicates that HAL and Seaborn are loosing cruisers.... 

I'd like to know where those cruisers are going. 

No one is cruising.  The cruise lines are cash deficient.  The cruise lines would love to be able to keep their clients happy but they don't have the cash to make the refunds.  

CCL might be able to keep some of their company operational if the cash they raised by selling junk bonds can cover their expenses first, and then their liabilities (refunds).  But they need the confidence of cruisers to continue sending them deposits and payments on bookings for future cruises - cruise that may or may not happen.  Demanding refunds in a more timely manner is not likely to make the refund hit your account faster.  

I wish all those awaiting refunds success, and applaud the optimism of those continuing to make bookings, which is the only way the cruise lines will have a chance of a future.  But it's not like HAL and Seaborn cruisers have a place to take their cruise business.  m--  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

The title of this thread indicates that HAL and Seaborn are loosing cruisers.... 

I'd like to know where those cruisers are going. 

No one is cruising.  The cruise lines are cash deficient.  The cruise lines would love to be able to keep their clients happy but they don't have the cash to make the refunds.  

CCL might be able to keep some of their company operational if the cash they raised by selling junk bonds can cover their expenses first, and then their liabilities (refunds).  But they need the confidence of cruisers to continue sending them deposits and payments on bookings for future cruises - cruise that may or may not happen.  Demanding refunds in a more timely manner is not likely to make the refund hit your account faster.  

I wish all those awaiting refunds success, and applaud the optimism of those continuing to make bookings, which is the only way the cruise lines will have a chance of a future.  But it's not like HAL and Seaborn cruisers have a place to take their cruise business.  m--  

I would be willing to book 2021 if I got my due monies back. that’s where I would go.

• Like 1

a good number of  loyal quests of a certain age-demog-health status  have decided  that they have taken their last cruise  so , to answer the question , thats were the HAL - Seabourn cruisers are going  ...not to sea but rather to drive over to cuddle with the grand kids . The refund fiasco is but a part of the picture . The horrid stories in the media and on social nets re the past few months have driven young and old away as have the thoughts of air travel for the next few years . Sorry but , as a Carnival Corp [ CCL] stock holder, I  sadly conclude the industry as we knew it is finito

• Like 2

We cancelled our July cruise on 29 Apr, this morning I received an email from HAL refunding our HAL ships excursion. I never even ask HAL for a refund, it come all by itself.We have rebooked a cruise for July 2021  

This is neither a HAL nor a Seaborne issue, its across the industry. Thousands are waiting on refunds from all lines and the 90 day window seems to be pretty much across the board. We are waiting on a refund from Celebrity for a cruise that was supposed to sail 03/14 and was cancelled less than 24 hours prior to sailing. We had flown into San Juan the morning of 03/13 and spent a great day touring around one of our favorite cities only to be notified at approximately 7:00 that evening that we would not be boarding the following day. So far we have received a refund of one excursion and what we paid for our beverage packages, nothing else.

• Like 2

Don’t hold your breath for the money.  I am waiting for similar shore excursion  reimbursement for a cruise I cancelled (not Covid related) and it is more than a month now I am waiting to see the monies applied to credit card.

When you cancel a cruise, all the “extras” that are booked for that cancelled cruise booking  will automatically be dumped out and notice of cancellation-refund email auto-generated.  

To actually see it reflected on your credit card may take some time, at this stage in the game.  In the past, yes refunds were often  posted 2-3 days later - but not in this scenario.

Carol

9 minutes ago, cruzeluver said:

This is neither a HAL nor a Seaborne issue, its across the industry. Thousands are waiting on refunds from all lines and the 90 day window seems to be pretty much across the board. We are waiting on a refund from Celebrity for a cruise that was supposed to sail 03/14 and was cancelled less than 24 hours prior to sailing. We had flown into San Juan the morning of 03/13 and spent a great day touring around one of our favorite cities only to be notified at approximately 7:00 that evening that we would not be boarding the following day. So far we have received a refund of one excursion and what we paid for our beverage packages, nothing else.

I agree.  When this started we cancelled all travel until Sept 2021.  That was six trips with five different providers (four cruises, one land tour).  So far we have received two refunds and are still awaiting four more from four different cruise lines so yes, it is the industry.  Based on what I have seen HAL is no better or worse then the others.  To the OP’s point, this will effect how and with whom we travel with going forward.  

• Like 2

I’ve said this on other CC threads but it bears repeating. It’s the lack of transparency that has people stirred up. If HAL would announce weekly what sailing dates they have processed and refunded in the previous seven days, people would have a handle on where they stand.
I don’t have a dog in this fight. We usually book a cruise around the time of final payment so HAL isn’t holding any of our funds. We spent most of February on the Zuiderdam and feel as if we dodged a bullet. My guess is that HAL does not have the funds and is reluctant to make that public. I have a lot of empathy for those waiting. I’d be pretty upset too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Hopefully HAL people will read some of the complaints and realize the error of their ways.

However, my guess is they just don't have the available cash required for the refunds.

If they don't have the cash required for the refunds, why is that the error of their ways?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

If they don't have the cash required for the refunds, why is that the error of their ways?

So when Arnold Donald says they have enough cash on hand for a no sailpolicy till 2021,he is not including refunds? I hav e wAtched every interview

• Like 1

At this point in time I suspect that the last thing that HAL is concerned about is the impact on their future business of delaying refunds for 90-120 days.  

HAL no doubt has much larger issues to deal with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wesport said:

So when Arnold Donald says they have enough cash on hand for a no sailpolicy till 2021,he is not including refunds? I hav e wAtched every interview

So, what is your solution? 

The cruise lines are facing an extreme situation and appear to be doing the best they can.

• Like 1

If possible, the credit card dispute route without delay.

No one I know wants to be on the unsecured creditor list of any cruise line or stuck holding a FCC that they either cannot use or do not want to use given the available itineraries, the time frames, or the on board environment.  Or the unspent portion of a FCC for that matter.