New ship concept

"Dirty Dancing" in the last scene, the old guys remember back on the years spent entertaining families at the resort and how things have changed and families not wanting the experience anymore.  Cruise lines need to change with market demand or they will slowly fail.  Ships are floating hotels that move you from port to port.  While moving, families need to be entertained, and most important, must be memorable for the entire family.  Many things about my old cruises I enjoyed, but I also enjoy today's high tech shows.  In 5 years - 10 years it will be different again, giving me more reasons to go back.  I get excited when a "new" class comes out. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, James4me said:

While not new, but very popular, would RCCL ever build another ship that has windows you can see out of and see the ocean rather than closed in being in a shopping mall?  It would be great to see the outside of your sailing with nice seating areas to enjoy the view from inside the ship. The whole purpose of cruising is to see the ocean and sites that come with it.   Not the Mall of America.   

Unfortunately windows and wrap around Promenade decks don't bring revenue . The closest I have seen to an outdoor venue on a new build is on Celebrity Edge which has the Magic Carpet. It's basically a glorified window washer's scaffold that hangs off of the side of the ship and is capable of moving up and down. It's very unsightly.  I will say that I did enjoy the views in the adult in door pool and in  Cafe Two70 on Anthem.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Issues with most VCL on the Royal's ships, they are so high away from the water, you lose touch with the outside.

For a relaxed lounge for a before or after dinner drink there is nothing like what is on the Celebrity  Millennium Class ships,

Rendevous Lounge's are the best  !!

I agree but I wonder how long those Millennium class ships will be around.

4 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

The only public area from within the ship that has ocean views is all the way at the rear with 270.  The Esplanade, in my opinion, is a complete utter failure of a design.   Even the Oasis class doesn't feature that many shops.

The Esplanade feels like an underground mall. At least Oasis has an open sky.

14 hours ago, James4me said:

While not new, but very popular, would RCCL ever build another ship that has windows you can see out of and see the ocean rather than closed in being in a shopping mall?  It would be great to see the outside of your sailing with nice seating areas to enjoy the view from inside the ship. The whole purpose of cruising is to see the ocean and sites that come with it.   Not the Mall of America.   

Not is our mind. If you want that, just book a balcony cabin. We enjoy the bigger ships much better. We always have a balcony and have plenty of ocean views whenever we want. We also cruise for the ports. We have sailed on Majesty, Enchantment, Brilliance, Serenade, Freedom too. Majesty and Enchantment for short 3/4 day cruises. Serenade was nice for 11/12 day Southern Caribbean cruises heavy on Ports. Our preference is the Oasis Class and SL/CK. Casual dinning with a view. 

M8

• Like 2

I don’t think the Op was suggesting every RC ship should be different sizes of the radiance class layout. It would be good to have at least one ‘open to all’ venue, to relax, which has views of the sea. I love the VCL on ships that have it. I also enjoy eating in Chops by the window looking out at the sea. The same with the schooner bar. 
I haven’t sailed on Quantum class so can’t comment. I sailed on Oasis last Summer and the boardwalk doesn’t have a sea view. It’s blocked by the backdrop for the Aqua Theatre. The windjammer is the only indoor venue I can think of which looks outward and that is anything but relaxing. 
By the way, I agree with all the comments about designs changing, the demographic that they are targeting and the evolving requirements. I just don’t see why somewhere on that list it can’t preserve the link to the sea. 

• Thanks 1

I just found out that Coastal Kitchen is suite guests only...can't believe I didn't know that. Is that the only space on Oasis/Allure reserved for a higher class stateroom?

Been on the Epic before and hated there being areas that you could and couldn't access... Felt like going back to Titanic days (without the iceberg)

6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The VCL on Freedom was closed on our cruise. Even Suites didn’t have access. The Diamond Lounge was for Pinnacles and the remaining area for D+. Only they had access to the view. 

They had someone keeping people out of the VCL all day or just during happy hour?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

They had someone keeping people out of the VCL all day or just during happy hour?

Good question. I know it was closed boarding day. That cruise was out of Barcelona and only one sea day. I ventured up on another day after we got back from the port and tried to grab a drink at the bar and was denied (w/ drink package). Gold card didn’t work. Bar was for D+ only.  It was probably during cocktail hours. Didn’t try after that. 

No big deal, we were on Deck 10 and CL was just a few steps away. We could take our drink back to the cabin and sit on our balcony. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

16 hours ago, pcur said:

You have just described the Brilliance and the Vision, both of which are expected to be sold.

Where did you read that Brilliance is expected to be sold?  First time I’ve heard this.  Too many of Royal loyalists love Radiance class ships and would switch lines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, amurray88 said:

I just found out that Coastal Kitchen is suite guests only...can't believe I didn't know that. Is that the only space on Oasis/Allure reserved for a higher class stateroom?

Been on the Epic before and hated there being areas that you could and couldn't access... Felt like going back to Titanic days (without the iceberg)

The only other place is the suite sundeck deck 17 forward

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I strongly agree.  I am not a fan of the promenade mall.  It's too dark and noisy.  Doesnt have the feel that a cruise ship should have Imo.

Those people who typically book a promenade view, book them in lieu of an inside cabin- they are very reasonably priced.  We actually had on a couple of occasions, a central park view- that also was great for those on a budget.  

If a person can afford a balcony or suite, surely that would be a better option.  However if you are afraid of looking at the sea- a promenade view or CPV is a great option.  Over the board walk much too noisy.

5 hours ago, LXA350 said:

That makes each ship class unique and since preferences vary each one will find a ship class they like best.

2 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

I don’t think the Op was suggesting every RC ship should be different sizes of the radiance class layout. It would be good to have at least one ‘open to all’ venue, to relax, which has views of the sea. I love the VCL on ships that have it. I also enjoy eating in Chops by the window looking out at the sea. The same with the schooner bar. 
I haven’t sailed on Quantum class so can’t comment. I sailed on Oasis last Summer and the boardwalk doesn’t have a sea view. It’s blocked by the backdrop for the Aqua Theatre. The windjammer is the only indoor venue I can think of which looks outward and that is anything but relaxing. 
By the way, I agree with all the comments about designs changing, the demographic that they are targeting and the evolving requirements. I just don’t see why somewhere on that list it can’t preserve the link to the sea. 

I hear you on the view for Chops, but in many cases its dark by dinner and you can't see out the windows anyway. Plus, only a few of the seats are by the windows as well.

31 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I hear you on the view for Chops, but in many cases its dark by dinner and you can't see out the windows anyway. Plus, only a few of the seats are by the windows as well.

We have fond memories of early evening dinners in Chops for the sail out of Venice and Kotor. Had window seats on both occasions and the food was as good as the view. 

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The VCL on Freedom was closed on our cruise. Even Suites didn’t have access. The Diamond Lounge was for Pinnacles and the remaining area for D+. Only they had access to the view. 

Ouch. That would be hard to take. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Where did you read that Brilliance is expected to be sold?  First time I’ve heard this.  Too many of Royal loyalists love Radiance class ships and would switch lines.

I was reading a thread yesterday about RCCL downsizing it's fleet, and I got curious.  Someone posted a link to a ship broker, and from there I went to another site.

It's easy to find the ships, because the description gives the Class, and identifies RCCL.  I then compared the year built, the tonnage, and the pictures to try and id the ship.  It started with the Rhapsody, which is definitely on the block, and then I found what appeared to be the Vision, and the Brilliance.

Of course there has to be a buyer, so I'm going to guess these ships will be around for another year.  

It's not a bona fide research, but it was definitely about 4 RCCL ships are being sold.  Plus someone on the downsizing thread said they usually start the listing process (no pun intended  😉) around 20 - 25 years old.

We have 2  cruises booked on the Vision, and 1 on the Rhapsody, so I expect 3 out of our 4 cruises will be cancelled, because they aren't for 18 - 22 months.

I haven't been on an Oasis class ship yet.  Hopefully that will happen this year. So my experience is on Freedom, Voyageur and Radiance class ships.  For me, my go to spot in the afternoon is VC.  Fantastic ocean views and generally fairly quiet. If I'm outside I'm generally sitting at the sky bar/lounge watching the goings on at the the pool from up above.  All are great spots to relax and all have great views of the ocean.  

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

8 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

We have fond memories of early evening dinners in Chops for the sail out of Venice and Kotor. Had window seats on both occasions and the food was as good as the view. 

I've been fortunate when in Chops.  We always book an early dinner and book a table for two.  So far we have always been given a table for two.

11 hours ago, amurray88 said:

If you’re Pinnacle, you have access to SL/CK even if you have an inside cabin on Deck 3. 😇

• Haha 1