Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

19 hours ago, elaineb said:

We always fly there for our cruises, or do Disney.  We won't be doing any for a long time at this rate (and yes, I know Disney is open, but I wouldn't go there now either). 

Ummm...yeah.  Go to Disney, the resorts, the beaches....etc.  What do you find in the parking lot?  Out of state tags, and rental cars.  We just came off the high tourist season of early Spring vacation time.  

Would you hazard a guess as to how much of the virus was imported?  Tourism is our biggest income producer...and it does not just come from locals.  Spring break?  Rental vacation homes?  Hotels?  Theme parks?  Resorts?  Seasonals?  Etc...etc.

And BTW...I am one Floridian that is frustrated by the much too soon reopening, but I did not have any choice on the decision to reopen so many venues.  I just live here...I don't make the rules...and didn't vote for the ones that do.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

10,085 new cases reported for 7/14.  I was hoping it would continue going down, but not yet.

I wish you wouldn’t 

Plenty of Hospital ICU and regular beds available throughout Florida. 

There also seems to be some conflict with actual positives with a couple of labs. It will be interesting to see what the results are. 

Just one link 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/os-ne-coronavirus-florida-labs-not-reporting-20200714-va2fuxgcsbfc5dsuba5gcni2u4-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Here is daily Hospital bed count 

https://bi.ahca.myflorida.com/t/ABICC/views/Public/ICUBedsCounty?%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Aembed=y

SMH

M8

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Available ICU capacity is  at 15.79% . Which would be fine during normal times. 

But 2 days ago when you posted this, the available capacity was in the 18% range.  That a 2.5 - 3% drop in 2 days. If that trend continues, there will be no room left in 2 weeks. 

I searched but could not find any trend graphs or 3 or 7 day averages. 

To me, the most important numbers that is almost never reported anywhere is net change in hospitalizations / ICU. That shows which direction things are moving and if its getting more or less critical. It helps with planning and response. 

Imo. This is just a general response,  not aimed at any state, governor or political party.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Available ICU capacity is  at 15.79% . Which would be fine during normal times. 

But 2 days ago when you posted this, the available capacity was in the 18% range.  That a 2.5 - 3% drop in 2 days. If that trend continues, there will be no room left in 2 weeks. 

I searched but could not find any trend graphs or 3 or 7 day averages. 

To me, the most important numbers that is almost never reported anywhere is net change in hospitalizations / ICU. That shows which direction things are moving and if its getting more or less critical. It helps with planning and response. 

Imo. This is just a general response,  not aimed at any state, governor or political party.

Just the same, plenty of beds. People said the same things weeks ago. Just hasn’t happened yet. I hope it doesn’t. Is it going to happen, I don’t know. I pulling that it doesn’t. 

M8

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just the same, plenty of beds. People said the same things weeks ago. Just hasn’t happened yet. I hope it doesn’t. Is it going to happen, I don’t know. I pulling that it doesn’t. 

M8

I think most people are pulling that it doesn't as well, including myself. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Ummm...yeah.  Go to Disney, the resorts, the beaches....etc.  What do you find in the parking lot?  Out of state tags, and rental cars.  We just came off the high tourist season of early Spring vacation time.  

Would you hazard a guess as to how much of the virus was imported?  

The thing is it's been imported everywhere, (well apart from China I guess.) In every country it has come from somewhere. In the UK most of our first cases were people coming back from skiing holidays. That's why lockdown works. Gives breathing space to try and bring it under control and put procedures in place for when things start to sloooowly open up

13 minutes ago, sgmn said:

The thing is it's been imported everywhere, (well apart from China I guess.) In every country it has come from somewhere. In the UK most of our first cases were people coming back from skiing holidays. That's why lockdown works. Gives breathing space to try and bring it under control and put procedures in place for when things start to sloooowly open up

We passed through your country when evacuating from Spain.  I appreciated that immensely. Big kudos to BA as well for picking us up.

• Like 1

FL govenor just finished press conference. 

Said many hospitalized Covid patients are nursing home residents not allowed to return even though they are no longer in need of hospitalization.

We can thank NY for teaching us that lesson😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

That's for sure, although that narrative (history) is being rewritten.  

MD Governor just finished his.  They break into the DC metro area news for VA, MD and DC (mayor).  He said 83% of the positive cases in MD are in the under 35 crowd.   We're heading to the beach in MD on Sunday for a week, but we won't be partying with that age group.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

FL govenor just finished press conference. 

Said many hospitalized Covid patients are nursing home residents not allowed to return even though they are no longer in need of hospitalization.

Yep. That’s the case in two hospitals here. COVID19 patients from long term care stable who would normally be sent home, are not permitted back in long term care facilities until two negative tests at least 24 hours apart. 

M8

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

But I really don't get all the jealously pointed at FL residents

Yeah, that baffles me as well. 

49 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Florida residents have so many options. They can cruise from Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa & Port Canaveral. They have so many choices of what cruise lines to choose & then so many ships to pick. They can get best deals because they can book closer to sailing dates, no worries about flying, finding a hotel night before. Would love those choices but would never move to Florida, too hot & humid. Granted probably much cheaper to live there then the northeast. Our cost of living is much higher. 

Its really all about choices and balance.

I love cruising and toyed with the idea of moving to FL. But I love many other things that are not available in FL. So I don't want to center my life around one thing and miss out on so many others. 

After all, Variety is the spice of life.

• Like 2

....are not permitted back in long term care facilities until two negative tests at least 24 hours apart. 

A very important thing to do.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

They are opening covid nursing homes

I have to be honest, I am afraid to see the outcome of this.  If Covid positive residents are sent directly here, from other LTC homes, and they do not have the proper medical care it very will could be disastrous putting it mildly.  Having seen what has happen in some LTC homes, I hope there is no repeat in Florida and other states that are currently under heavy Covid cases.

Considering the aged and immune comprised are most at risk, I pray that I am wrong in my initial thoughts.

Edited by A&L_Ont

52 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I have to be honest, I am afraid to see the outcome of this.  If Covid positive residents are sent directly here, from other LTC homes, and they do not have the proper medical care it very will could be disastrous putting it mildly.  Having seen what has happen in some LTC homes, I hope there is no repeat in Florida and other states that are currently under heavy Covid cases.

Considering the aged and immune comprised are most at risk, I pray that I am wrong in my initial thoughts.

No idea, I'm guessing there is some kind of plan

22 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

No idea, I'm guessing there is some kind of plan

There will be.  The unique thing with Covid, there are cases of those in the 90s and older who make it through.  Sadly it is not the case for all, but people are amazing.

5 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

There will be.  The unique thing with Covid, there are cases of those in the 90s and older who make it through.  Sadly it is not the case for all, but people are amazing.

Probably because folks in their 70's have underlying issues that cause them to expire soon thereafter.  If you make it to 90, you got a lot going for you.

5 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

Have they postponed elective hospital procedures in Florida?

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Have they postponed elective hospital procedures in Florida?

Some hospitals, yes. Mostly in South Florida. Here in our County, still going on. I know Miami Jackson Memorial has stopped elective surgery for the most part.  Some surgeries that were elective in first round are not now. Based of patient/doctor/need. 

I had my eye surgery delayed in first round. The reason given was to keep PPE for essential care. There seems to be plenty of PPE at this time.  

I haven’t heard any info about St Pete Tampa area. They seem to have busier hospitals. 

M8

6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Some hospitals, yes. Mostly in South Florida. Here in our County, still going on. I know Miami Jackson Memorial has stopped elective surgery for the most part.  Some surgeries that were elective in first round are not now. Based of patient/doctor/need. 

I had my eye surgery delayed in first round. The reason given was to keep PPE for essential care. There seems to be plenty of PPE at this time.  

I haven’t heard any info about St Pete Tampa area. They seem to have busier hospitals. 

M8

Most Tampa Bay hospitals have postponed the majority of the elective procedures and are only doing those few that are risky to wait on.

Edited by lr657
  • Thanks 1

M8

Well that's a good sign. The entire state stopped elective surgery here during the peak. 

• Like 1