Any healthcare providers still cruising in 2020 after COVID?

Czarcika

Hi everyone,

I’m a nurse and want to see if any other nurses or healthcare professionals still plan on cruising this year. I have a cruise booked for Sep 2020 and hoping to still go as a vacation is needed after this year. HCPs what are your thoughts?!

2 hours ago, Czarcika said:

Hi everyone,

I’m a nurse and want to see if any other nurses or healthcare professionals still plan on cruising this year. I have a cruise booked for Sep 2020 and hoping to still go as a vacation is needed after this year. HCPs what are your thoughts?!

My wife is an RN and she will not be cruising this year.We have s niece who is an MD and she will not be cruising this year.

Retired RN, and we aren't cruising this year, and I've recommended to family that they not cruise either.. And JMO, but there's unlikely to be any "after COVID" this year. It's not going to just disappear .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DW is a retired Trauma RN and we have a couple of cruises booked May/June 2021.

Whether we decide to cruise will depend on how well other jurisdictions are able to manage controlling the virus. Our Province has worked wonders in controlling the virus, but unfortunately others haven't been as successful. If a number of Provinces/States/Countries are still having hundreds of new daily cases, then we probably won't go. However, if most get down to low numbers with no community outbreaks, similar to BC currently, then we will most likely go.

• Like 2

For the health care professionals who aren't cruising, what if any other activities are you doing/not doing?  Hairdresser?  Movie theatre?  Restaurants?  Retail stores?  Flying?

Is there something inherently dangerous about cruising, or is it being around people in general?

47 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

That is a great reference. I just posted on another thread that the Hygenist at the dentist office that I go to wanted to know if I would like to come In today for my semi annual exam and cleaning.As I do not think I could do that while wearing a mask I politely said no.

18 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is a great reference. I just posted on another thread that the Hygenist at the dentist office that I go to wanted to know if I would like to come In today for my semi annual exam and cleaning.As I do not think I could do that while wearing a mask I politely said no.

I was supposed to go for my quarterly cleaning and exam in April.  Dentist's office canceled.  They contacted me last month and asked me to reschedule.  I declined.  On a normal day getting my teeth cleaned is so dangerous they have to pre-medicate me, so why do I want to give COVID-19 an additional way to enter my body?  I have a perio cleaning and exam next month that I may consider going to if I observe the virus is subsiding.  

Why do people think that covid will be over by the end of 2020? 

I have seen no indication from any public health professional that it will be over or that that will be a vaccine, let alone a widely available, safe vaccine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iancal said:

Why do people think that covid will be over by the end of 2020? 

I have seen no indication from any public health professional that it will be over or that that will be a vaccine, let alone a widely available, safe vaccine.

Because we really really really want it to be. I’m ok with people wanting this. But I get aggravated when they behave like it’s over already.

• Like 2

The difference between wanting it to be over, acting as if it is over and it actually being over could be very dangerous to our health and to the health of others.   

That is the number one reason why we are not considering a cruise at this time.  Social distancing on a cruise....give me a break.  Not going to happen.  Masks or no masks.  Why do prospective cruisers fool themselves this way? 

No different than believing in  Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny well I guess.  Just more dangerous.  We cannot wish this away.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

On 6/9/2020 at 2:05 PM, Roz said:

For the health care professionals who aren't cruising, what if any other activities are you doing/not doing?  Hairdresser?  Movie theatre?  Restaurants?  Retail stores?  Flying?

Is there something inherently dangerous about cruising, or is it being around people in general?

For my wife it is being with large numbers of people.We will no longer go to movie theaters either.My wife called the hair salon that she goes to and has an appointment for September.We will return to restaurants once our area gets to phase 4 ,the same for retail stores .

47 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

For my wife it is being with large numbers of people.We will no longer go to movie theaters either.My wife called the hair salon that she goes to and has an appointment for September.We will return to restaurants once our area gets to phase 4 ,the same for retail stores .

Thanks for the reply.  I'm glad your wife is able to hold out on the hairdresser.  I went about 2 wks. ago.  I was looking like Carlos Santana at Woodstock. 

On 6/9/2020 at 11:09 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Really....I have a cleaning booked and will go. The hygenist will be wearing the mask and face shield. So glad to get my teeth cleaned again...putting it off isn't what's best for me.

3 hours ago, Roz said:

Thanks for the reply.  I'm glad your wife is able to hold out on the hairdresser.  I went about 2 wks. ago.  I was looking like Carlos Santana at Woodstock. 

My hair is longer now than anyone who was at Woodstock.😀

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Really....I have a cleaning booked and will go. The hygenist will be wearing the mask and face shield. So glad to get my teeth cleaned again...putting it off isn't what's best for me.

I have an appointment for August.

6 hours ago, Roz said:

NV reopened those a couple of weeks ago. My dog groomer, husband's barber and my person all worse masks and gloves. The dog groomer came out to get Hairy Red Dog. My hair salon had us sit in a big separate area at least six feet apart. Our movie theaters aren't open. Restaurants are but with all manner of social distancing requirements.

My spouse has only made three trips to a store since coming back from Mexico on March 20.  She had her hair cut at the hairdressers home.  The latter had the usual precautions.   DW cut my hair.  Our dental and medical (non urgent) appointments  have been cancelled.  We have not been to any restaurants.  I have had one outing a week for grocery.  That’s it.  We have been doing day drives into the mountains to get out of the house. No visitors.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iancal said:

We have been doing day drives into the mountains to get out of the house.

We've done some drives also.

We just returned from Seattle where our adult daughter had suffered a pretty awful injury riding her bike in the woods. We visited her several times, out in the back yard, and we wore masks. Never went in the house. Cooked an entire (great!) dinner on their grill.