When will things start back up?

KS&JW

2 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

You might want to re look at your source. Statistics can be made to say anything but according to your source , where I live the number of alleged cases is only 16.1 % per 100K. Infection rate is .91%, hardly the highest. The site claims only 25% have been vaccinated but the latest stat from our County (lake) says over 50% have been vaccinated. 

Look, we just differ in  we approach this. I wore a mask when shopping, social distanced, did take out only, and followed all the guidelines. Now, having been fully vaccinated, I still wear a mask  when shopping, eat out but outside because our handicapped son has only had his first shot, still social distance. Through all of this, we have been able to golf, work out outside, and fly (Delta). Still here. There is a great debate over how many deaths have been WITH Covid as opposed to FROM Covid. I am in the camp of far fewer than our our government claims. 

I cannot wait until we can get back to discussing food on board and ports of call. I think too many here have a severe case of cabin fever.

Well, you're one of the "good guys," not the ones we're seeing on the news or the ones that are freaking out Dr. Fauci. We do the exact same things but many aren't. Thanks for explaining.

I have to say that the funniest thing I find here is all of the old coots complaining about Spring breakers etc. What were they doing when they were young and in college?  Personally, I was too young for Woodstock, but if I could have snuck out and made that trip, I would have been there. Thank God my parents were strict. 

They are young, been locked up for a year, and I understand. Do I like it..NO. But I protect myself and do the best I can to avoid getting the virus.

Cheers to Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin and all of the others you old coots enjoyed. 

P.S. I am a Conservative. Follow the guidelines.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I have to say that the funniest thing I find here is all of the old coots complaining about Spring breakers etc. What were they doing when they were young and in college?  Personally, I was too young for Woodstock, but if I could have snuck out and made that trip, I would have been there. Thank God my parents were strict. 

They are young, been locked up for a year, and I understand. Do I like it..NO. But I protect myself and do the best I can to avoid getting the virus.

Cheers to Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin and all of the others you old coots enjoyed. 

And thank the she-gawd that there was nothing in the last 100 years like this. 500,000+ dead is nothing to ignore. Selfish brats everyone. They don't care about infecting themselves and I guess they don't care about killing their parents and grandparents. I've been watching and listening to their nonsense for a year now.

PS: It doesn't matter how you lean. It's about using your brain.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Well, I'm certainly old enough to have gone to Woodstock if I chose, but I didn't.

What you're failing to recognize is that if you went to Woodstock you weren't endangering anyone but yourself...and you really weren't even significantly endangering yourself. If you go to spring break  you run the risk of being infected by a disease that you could transmit to others, including people like your parents and grandparents or others you come on contact with who are possibly at risk for serious illness or even death if they catch COVID from you . 

You want to risk your own health and safety, fine, but you have no right to endanger those you come in contact with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

You want to risk your own health and safety, fine, but you have no right to endanger those you come in contact with.

I read about a woman who got a lung transplant. The donor had tested negative but later they found that she had in fact had it. The woman getting the transplant die pretty quickly. Things like this should be a wake up call.

As I've mentioned I have a lot of medical background and I get so tired of people getting hysterical over anecdotal stories but this has had my attention for a year. It's serious. Really serious.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

To those that did not read what I wrote....."Do I like it..NO"

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I have to say that the funniest thing I find here is all of the old coots complaining about Spring breakers etc. What were they doing when they were young and in college?

I cannot believe that you are saying this and not recognizing the difference & circumstances around spring break this year vs the past.

Many of those “old coots” you are referring to may have gone to spring breaks and done other silly “young” things but they were not endangering the well being (or even the lives) if not just their own but that of all those they may come into contact with after returning home.

When is the last time during the spring break did we have to deal with 500,000+ deaths due to an easily transmittable infectious disease that they may help to propagate?

Edited by Paulchili
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I cannot believe that you are saying this and not recognizing the difference & circumstances around spring break this year vs the past.

Many of those “old coots” you are referring to may have gone to spring breaks and done other silly “young” things but they were not endangering the well being (or even the lives) if not just their own but that of all those they may come into contact with after returning home.

When is the last time during the spring break did we have to deal with 500,000+ deaths due to an easily transmittable infectious disease that they may help to propagate?

Read what I wrote again. I said I "understand" because all of us were young once and made mistakes. It is up to us, as adults, to protect ourselves the best we can. I assume most here on this Board protect themselves and follow the guidelines. I have not let my children see me for over a year. I am protecting myself and DH. Common sense. 

You only focused on "old coots" instead of reading what I was trying to say about being young. I understand why they do it. Are they foolish? Yes. I probably would have gone on Spring Break too during a Pandemic. It is called being young and thinking you are invincible.

We have sadly lost over a half million citizens. Many older and having lived a good life.

Twenty two million ( 22,000,000) Americans have lost their jobs and livelihoods, 10,000,000 permanently. Don’t they count? Millions of school age children have been denied even a pre tense of an education in the past year. They’ll never get that tear back. Don’t they count? 

The great analysis that will be made after we come out of this is the horrific damage we did to the living while locking down to save a very small percentage of the population. That analysis will set protocols on how we deal with the next pandemic. Unfortunate but much like arbitrage medicine, often necessary.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Twenty two million ( 22,000,000) Americans have lost their jobs and livelihoods, 10,000,000 permanently. Don’t they count? Millions of school age children have been denied even a pre tense of an education in the past year. They’ll never get that tear back. Don’t they count? 

I've looked and not found this. Could you provide a link please? TIA.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Twenty two million ( 22,000,000) Americans have lost their jobs and livelihoods, 10,000,000 permanently

1 hour ago, clo said:

I've looked and not found this. Could you provide a link please? TIA

Per the Bureau of Labor Statistics' March 5 news release there were 10.0 million people unemployed persons in February 2021 while pre-pandemic Feb. 2020 number was 5.7 million. Of the 4.3 million additional unemployed 3.5 million are considered permanent, which is 2.2 million higher than last year. While these numbers are nothing to sneeze at they're not even remotely as high as you claim.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

"Both the unemployment rate, at 6.2 percent, and the number of unemployed persons, at 10.0 million, changed little in February. Although both measures are much lower than their April 2020 highs, they remain well above their pre-pandemic levels in February 2020 (3.5 percent and 5.7 million, respectively)."

"The number of permanent job losers, at 3.5 million, was essentially unchanged in February but is 2.2 million higher than a year earlier."

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Millions of school age children have been denied even a pre tense of an education in the past year.

My son is a teacher and has worked remotely for the past year. He's also a senior officer of the teacher's union in our county. He works every day, providing instruction from his home. Some teachers are working on site, some remotely as he is. Some children are in the classroom, some receiving instruction at home . Although no one is happy with what's happened and everyone wants all students to be in class full time when it's safe to do so, to say that children have been denied even a pretense of an education in the past year is simply not true. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

P & O Cruises have announced cruises to nowhere for local vaccinated passengers cruising out of Southampton this summer.

Good to see Carnival Group increasing their 'baby steps' learning cruises, along with Royal Caribbean Group increasing theirs.

Edited by Tranquility Base

Some news from:

Cruising in the U.S. in May? Biden Eyes Relaxing Travel Restrictions - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

With widespread vaccination distribution in the United States, the Biden administration may relax some travel restrictions as soon as May, according to a CNBC report citing senior administration officials.

The report said restrictions on travel with Mexico and Canada may be eased, as well as on travel from the UK, Europe and Brazil.

It would also follow in the footsteps of the UK opening to some tourism in May, including domestic cruising. 

That may also mean the CDC's Framework For Conditional Sailing Order could see revisions, or as some cruise sources have indicated: disappear entirely if the industry requires passengers to be vaccinated, rendering the virus an afterthought in most cases.

The best-case scenario per industry sources in responding to the CDC's Framework For Conditional Sailing Order, is a 60- to 90-day process once the cruise lines get the technical regulations they are expecting shortly. 

While a handful of ships could be readied quickly, most may need between 60 and 90 days to be crewed, readied and provisioned

Here goes Royal Carribbean...

It’s time to dust off your passports. We’re welcoming guests back on board Adventure of the Seas this June with 7-night getaways from Nassau, Bahamas, featuring a two day stop at Perfect Day at CocoCay, and visits to Cozumel and Grand Bahama Island. Learn more at: https://*****/3lwRkAx

3 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I would think that the cruise lines will need to charter flights to the Islands as the airline passenger capacity is not great to St. Maarten or Nassau. 

Absolutely, just like they do/did to Papeete. On a per person basis very inexpensive.

Royal Carribbean is also going roundtrip from the Barbados starting in December.  No wonder Deciantis is begging the CDC to relax their guidelines.  Once those cruise lines set their schedules it will be harder to pivot back to Florida.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nashna said:

Royal Carribbean is also going roundtrip from the Barbados starting in December.  No wonder Deciantis is begging the CDC to relax their guidelines.  Once those cruise lines set their schedules it will be harder to pivot back to Florida.  

Would have no  interest in flying to these places in the Carib. to start and end a cruise.  It we were going to fly it would be to someplace much more interesting than the Carib. 

• Like 7