When will things start back up?

KS&JW

As someone mentioned, this thread was started in June last year.

As we now know nothing came of those rumoured dates.

As more cruise lines start with these "baby steps" cruises in more locations, and taking into account varied vaccination rates around the world, how are we placed today ?

When do people think NCLH will announce any firm plans for re-entering the market ?

Is it likely also to be some of these "baby steps" cruises ?

What is the likely location and which fleet ?

Of course all speculation, but NCLH as one of the 'big 3' might be considering  putting a marker down.

Edited by Tranquility Base

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

If I had to be in the Caribbean in the Summer, I would not cruise and spend the dollars you would pay to be on a Crystal cruise and spend my time at Sandy Lane Hotel in Barbados. 

Sandy Lane a  wonderful hotel.  Probably top 3 or 4 in the Carib.  Maybe the top one.  But I would cruise since I do not have to fly which is something we are not ready to do yet.  Been hearing some horror stories about jam packed planes so that is our problem with flying in the near future.  Good luck and stay safe. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RJB said:

Sandy Lane a  wonderful hotel.  Probably top 3 or 4 in the Carib.  Maybe the top one.  But I would cruise since I do not have to fly which is something we are not ready to do yet.  Been hearing some horror stories about jam packed planes so that is our problem with flying in the near future.  Good luck and stay safe. 

We typically do not fly first class.  However, due to several trips being cancelled we had some airline credits to use.  On our next three planned trips in September, November and January 2022, we have opted to pay the additional cost and fly first class.  I have no wish to sit in a middle seat or to be part of a crowd lining up to board. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RJB said:

You may have a long wait until Port of Miami is allowed to reopen for cruises. As Nashua, above, says, I’d rather pay for BC tickets and cruise than stay at home waiting for the CDC to move.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 12:25 PM, TrulyBlonde said:

Bahamas in July? Yuck...Heat and Hurricanes does not equate Luxury to me. Let the guinea pigs go. I have a better use for my money.

Me and thee. Yuck indeed.

Like the new avatar.

• Like 1

A lot of variables. Friends and we have done summer month barefoot rentals of a 42 ft benetou and a 45 ft Morgan in the Virgin Islands and the Leewards. We sailed, dove, spearfish, ate and drank ( excessively) both ashore and aboard. Incredible memories that we still cherish forever. Not for everyone.

I view it like my Army Ranger buddies and I get together camping, hiking, fly fishing trips to CO and WY. Not for everyone, but cherished memories will continue to remain the rest of my days. We old farts have already planned our trip for this summer. 

We’d never book a cruise ship to the Carribe anytime of the year. However, for the less adventurous, we won’t knock it  if they did. Camping along a crystal clear stream with large rainbows rising on dry flies  probably sounds more repulsive to some than cruising the Carribe , on a cruise ship in August, does to me. Each to their own. Someone has to help along those baby steps, in our journey back to cruising, better them than me.

Edited by pinotlover

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

A lot of variables. Friends and we have done summer month barefoot rentals of a 42 ft benetou and a 45 ft Morgan in the Virgin Islands and the Leewards. We sailed, dove, spearfish, ate and drank ( excessively) both ashore and aboard. Incredible memories that we still cherish forever. Not for everyone.

I view it like my Army Ranger buddies and I get together camping, hiking, fly fishing trips to CO and WY. Not for everyone, but cherished memories will continue to remain the rest of my days. We old farts have already planned our trip for this summer. 

We’d never book a cruise ship to the Carribe anytime of the year. However, for the less adventurous, we won’t knock it  if they did. Camping along a crystal clear stream with large rainbows rising on dry flies  probably sounds more repulsive to some than cruising the Carribe , on a cruise ship in August, does to me. Each to their own. Someone has to help along those baby steps, in our journey back to cruising, better them than me.

This may be the best thing I've read here. Thank you.

Well, germane to the topic, Italy is locking down again. Entire country going to RED again.

You would think they'd  learned by now that lockdowns don't  work.

Edited by Aloha 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Well, germane to the topic, Italy is locking down again. Entire country going to RED again.

You would think they'd  learned by now that lockdowns don't  work.

neither does letting people out & about like it was  a normal thing during  a pandemic

People from Canada travelled  to the warmer climates then  we were in Stay at home lockdown again

we are just recently in limited lock down mode  & the number are rising with 2 new variants  being discovered

I saw on the news how Americans are packing the places flying all over  😲

There’s an AP article, by David Lieb,  in today’s paper comparing Covid rates between like CA and FL; and CT and SD. One set of States took extreme lock down measures, the other took virtually none to little. Difference in infection rates and deaths per 100,000, almost nil. Difference in destruction of local economy: huge.

The Governor of SD said “ Even in a pandemic, public health policy needs to take into account people’s economic and social well-being.

The Fauci Disciples do not, and will not, accept that notwithstanding the evidence now provided. Arguing about it is senseless. The only thing that will stop this pandemic is vaccination of the masses. Telling people in March 2020 they have to hunker until a vaccine is developed and distributed was never a winnable plan and only  the Fauci disciples thought it practical.

Amesh Adalja, senior fellow at John Hopkins Center for Health Security wrote: “ This is going to be an important question that we have to ask ourselves: What public health measures actually were the most impactful, and which ones had negligible effect or backfired by driving behavior underground?”

• Like 3

With our "STAY AT HOME" order  in place the daily numbers significantly decreased

Then they relaxed some of the  restrictions in  certain regions around the GTA

People from the lockdown zone were going to the less restrictive areas

the number are now increasing  again

The Amazon distribution center in Toronto area is now closed for 2 wks  as many covid cased  have been detected

We have been more or less self isolating since Feb 2020 ...so far we have not gotten sick

We now have a few cases of the Brazil variant in our community 😷

I am all for the lock down to continue until all or most people are vaccinated 

YMMV

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

There’s an AP article, by David Lieb,  in today’s paper comparing Covid rates between like CA and FL; and CT and SD. One set of States took extreme lock down measures, the other took virtually none to little. Difference in infection rates and deaths per 100,000, almost nil. Difference in destruction of local economy: huge.

The Governor of SD said “ Even in a pandemic, public health policy needs to take into account people’s economic and social well-being.

The Fauci Disciples do not, and will not, accept that notwithstanding the evidence now provided. Arguing about it is senseless. The only thing that will stop this pandemic is vaccination of the masses. Telling people in March 2020 they have to hunker until a vaccine is developed and distributed was never a winnable plan and only  the Fauci disciples thought it practical.

Amesh Adalja, senior fellow at John Hopkins Center for Health Security wrote: “ This is going to be an important question that we have to ask ourselves: What public health measures actually were the most impactful, and which ones had negligible effect or backfired by driving behavior underground?”

Yes, an article by a reporter who undoubtedly has zero professional qualifications in any or all of the relevant scientific disciplines such as medicine, epidemiology, biology, mathematics or statistics.

As a mathematician and retired actuary I can tell you that you can't just look at bottom line case rates or death rates and draw any mathematically sound conclusions. In the simplest terms one has to be sure one is comparing apples to apples. For example comparing CT to SD is about as far from apples to apples as one can get as the two states couldn't be more demographically different. Even without that consideration the author has totally ignored the distinct possibility that  CA or CT might have had vastly higher infection or death rates had they not imposed a lockdown. One has to construct appropriate cohorts to do a  meaningful statistical analysis. You can't take gross bottom line numbers and draw inferences or conclusions about causality, which is exactly what the apparently totally unqualified author has done. I suspect the author has been spoon-fed  a few juicy looking numbers by a political faction looking to make hay. 

The article is total nonsense from a scientific perspective.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

neither does letting people out & about like it was  a normal thing during  a pandemic

People from Canada travelled  to the warmer climates then  we were in Stay at home lockdown again

we are just recently in limited lock down mode  & the number are rising with 2 new variants  being discovered

I saw on the news how Americans are packing the places flying all over  😲

And yet, the numbers here are dropping. 

1 hour ago, clo said:

How do you define "lockdown"?

Stay at home orders. All restaurants closed or limited to take out. Schools and businesses closed. No gatherings of any sort outside of immediate household. All these things were mandated by several Governors to no avail. As Pinotlover posted above, the difference in cases was negligible between the lockdown States and those with a more open policy. And this does not factor in the severe mental and economic damage done by those lockdown Governors. IMO, the only thing lockdown did was delay the inevitable and slow the attainment of herd immunity.

17 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

Stay at home orders. All restaurants closed or limited to take out. Schools and businesses closed. No gatherings of any sort outside of immediate household. All these things were mandated by several Governors to no avail. As Pinotlover posted above, the difference in cases was negligible between the lockdown States and those with a more open policy. And this does not factor in the severe mental and economic damage done by those lockdown Governors. IMO, the only thing lockdown did was delay the inevitable and slow the attainment of herd immunity.

I'll go with @njhorsemancomments.

We live in NV and there was never anything that severe. We've been doing indoor dining etc. since last summer probably. Obviously our gaming industry was hurt. Everyone I see has masks on now, a big improvement since six or eight months ago. And our numbers are improving every week. CA, OR and WA are improving all the time also and their restrictions were similar to our, maybe more, maybe less. And DO realize that Pinotlover has a real itchy finger when it comes to this issue.

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

In my opinion things will start back up somewhere in the middle of summer. I mean hot season on those warm countries will be going down, while in those northern countries it will be booming 

Things will start back up only when a significant portion of the population is vaccinated as opposed to hunkered.