When will things start back up?

KS&JW

55 minutes ago, ORV said:

What's a Cleaning Lady? My wife has a cleaning man, me.

We used to have them when we were both working, but after retirement I decided I could do a better job myself. We haven't had one in over 10 years or more. 

Cleaning Lady = someone who keeps my sanity while I work 50 hour weeks plus 1.5 hour commute each day pre-COVID (now work from home but have replaced the commuting hours with more working hours).

I don't want to spend my limited remaining hours cleaning house. And I have proven to myself beyond a shadow of a doubt over the last 14 months that I have neither the desire nor the aptitude to do as good a job as she does. 🤣

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Cleaning Lady = someone who keeps my sanity while I work 50 hour weeks plus 1.5 hour commute each day pre-COVID (now work from home but have replaced the commuting hours with more working hours).

I don't want to spend my limited remaining hours cleaning house. And I have proven to myself beyond a shadow of a doubt over the last 14 months that I have neither the desire nor the aptitude to do as good a job as she does. 🤣

Good for you for taking good care of yourself!

Since COVID one of the few bits of exercise I get besides walking the dogs is cleaning house. I like Twix bars too much, and could have have gained 200# easy with COVID. I put on headphones and dance like a crazed chicken while cleaning toilets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/16/2021 at 12:11 PM, TrulyBlonde said:

I live in a very liberal county in CO. Heavily Dem, Sanctuary city, etc. Our issue here is the Hispanic workforce in surrounding counties that do not want to be vaccinated and are afraid of it.

I offered to pay my housekeeper to get the vaccine and signed her up for it. She won't get it. I pay her $35 and hour and am getting ready to look for a new housekeeper. She will have a choice, work for minimum wage at a hotel or work for me. 

I also have to beg them to wear a mask or at least put it over their nose.

That's rich! Licensed Nuclear Reactor Operators were making $34/hr when I left the position not too many years ago. If we had known we could make good money as a housekeeper in CO we never would have put up with the intense scrutiny and never-ending training. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Erndog72 said:

That's rich! Licensed Nuclear Reactor Operators were making $34/hr when I left the position not too many years ago. If we had known we could make good money as a housekeeper in CO we never would have put up with the intense scrutiny and never-ending training. 

The positive in all of this is that Housekeeper has been relieved of her duties. I have another interested and vaccinated hopeful. We live in a very small community and just this morning I was at our little market and the girl who was delivering my groceries for a year ( I am now vaccinated) is interested too. She grew up here, hard worker, OCD like me, and also a volunteer for the fire dept. She is also vaccinated. 

Who wouldn't want that kind of money to dust, vacuum, and clean the showers. I do not mind paying for good help. Send me your resume ;-))

9 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Question:

How do you know the cruise industry is in bad shape ?

Answer:

When the " When will things start back up " thread is full of posts discussing cleaning the house.

Yes, we are all very anxious to live normal and cruise again. In the meantime most of us are still stuck at home and hopefully soon will not have to dust or clean our toilets. Oops, gotta go stir my dinner in the crockpot 😉  I would love to be sipping wine on the back deck of the Terrace Cafe instead. One can dream...

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ORV said:

What's a Cleaning Lady? My wife has a cleaning man, me.

Ms T  has a good man  there  👍

DH does  some of the housework ..some I have to re do but that is ok

LOL

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, we are all very anxious to live normal and cruise again. In the meantime most of us are still stuck at home and hopefully soon will not have to dust or clean our toilets. Oops, gotta go stir my dinner in the crockpot 😉  I would love to be sipping wine on the back deck of the Terrace Cafe instead. One can dream...

We have been out and about the whole time, including eating at restaurants. Those places are amusing. Have to wear masks to enter and leave, but all is normal once you are inside. We have not had any issues whatsoever. I am much more concerned with catching shingles or food poisoning, and not so much those, either. However, I suggest those who are afraid should continue hiding for their peace of mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Erndog72 said:

We have been out and about the whole time, including eating at restaurants. Those places are amusing. Have to wear masks to enter and leave, but all is normal once you are inside. We have not had any issues whatsoever.

That is pretty good 

What State  do you live in  where there is no Virus concerns?

Our cases here in Ontario are over 4000+ a day

restaurants are take out only

19 minutes ago, Erndog72 said:

However, I suggest those who are afraid should continue hiding for their peace of mind.

We never know people’s motivations. There was a great article in the paper a couple weeks ago about what the psychologists call “cave dwellers “. There is a portion of our society that loves things just as they are. They don’t want to go back to the office and intermingle with people. They don’t want to feel pressured to get together with friends, go out to eat, or participate in any organization or events. ( just look at all the posters we see that only want two tops!) 

The Pandemic gives them their perfect excuse to stay in their cave, and they are perfectly happy thank you. Don’t expect any assistance or cheerleading from them for anything that might shorten their recluse in their cave. It was a great well written article.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Erndog72 said:

We have been out and about the whole time, including eating at restaurants. Those places are amusing. Have to wear masks to enter and leave, but all is normal once you are inside. We have not had any issues whatsoever. I am much more concerned with catching shingles or food poisoning, and not so much those, either. However, I suggest those who are afraid should continue hiding for their peace of mind.

My county in CO has the highest infection rate in the whole state.  Get your vaccination and come on over for a cocktail. I am not a recluse but we are cautious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

My county in CO has the highest infection rate in the whole state.  Get your vaccination and come on over for a cocktail. I am not a recluse but we are cautious. 

Somehow I doubt our friend Ernie has his vaccination. 

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

That is pretty good 

Oh, just take a pick, really, where I live they have cancelled the mask mandates and allowed restaurants to go back to 100%. I live in a tourist area that gets about 10 million visitors a year and it's back fully open for business. They come from all over the midwest and south and revel in not having to wear a mask. They just elected a new mayor that ran on ending the mask mandate, and he did, a month early. That was his main platform. We love our freedom and lack of government control around here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ORV said:

Oh, just take a pick, really, where I live they have cancelled the mask mandates and allowed restaurants to go back to 100%. I live in a tourist area that gets about 10 million visitors a year and it's back fully open for business. They come from all over the midwest and south and revel in not having to wear a mask. They just elected a new mayor that ran on ending the mask mandate, and he did, a month early. That was his main platform. We love our freedom and lack of government control around here. 

ORV, do you happen to be on that lovely lake in SW MO?

Now there is a bill in the House of Representatives that would permit sailing to/from U.S. ports.  There is also one in the senate that was introduced last week, if I remember rightly.  The House bill was, of course, spearheaded by representatives from Alaska and Florida.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/legal-regulatory/house-lawmakers-introduce-bill-revoke-cdc-cruise-order

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Erndog72 said:

Those places are amusing. Have to wear masks to enter and leave, but all is normal once you are inside.

We're in NV and have also been eating in restaurants almost the entire time. But the places all had capacity limits, first 25%, now 50%. And social distancing. And if you get up to go to the restroom you're to wear your mask.

27 minutes ago, Hanoverian said:

Now there is a bill in the House of Representatives that would permit sailing to/from U.S. ports.  There is also one in the senate that was introduced last week, if I remember rightly.  The House bill was, of course, spearheaded by representatives from Alaska and Florida.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/legal-regulatory/house-lawmakers-introduce-bill-revoke-cdc-cruise-order

I wonder how that works. Can the congress revoke something that a government agency has put into effect? I'm asking sincerely. Who do the agencies ultimately report to?

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

That is pretty good 

Virginia. There are concerns and cases, but not that bad. Worst is up in the DC area.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Yes, your friend Ernie has been vaccinated (J&J with no side effects). We only got them for expected cruising requirements.

We are all different and have levels of risk we are willing to take. We chose to take as few of risks as possible to hopefully not catch the virus. 

Example: I used to ski moguls until I fell and had to have surgery to repair my clavicle. I am much more cautious now because I still enjoy this sport but as I get older it is not worth the risk of injuring myself again and the PT and length of time it takes to heal. Same for DH. He fractured his on his 4th day out skiing. His usual 100 plus days of skiing turned into 30. I now stay on my black groomed runs and DH does not stay out as long on his bump runs. 

I guess what I am saying is that the older I get, my risk tolerance is not what it used to be. 

Heading out to do my daily hike up the mountain soon. Gotta stay fit and healthy. I can take my mask off too. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, clo said:

I wonder how that works. Can the congress revoke something that a government agency has put into effect? I'm asking sincerely. Who do the agencies ultimately report to?

Simply, Congress can revoke an agency action by passing legislation (a bill) which must be approved by both the House and the Senate.  The President has the power either to sign legislation into law or to veto bills enacted by Congress, although Congress may override a veto with a two-thirds vote of both houses.  Once signed into law, the Executive Branch (Cabinet departments and agencies such as the CIA and Environmental Protection Agency, the heads of which are not part of the Cabinet, but who are under the full authority of the President)  enforces the laws passed by the Congress.  Usually, passing legislation is a long process but Congress can move quickly if it wants to. 

27 minutes ago, Hanoverian said:

Simply, Congress can revoke an agency action by passing legislation (a bill) which must be approved by both the House and the Senate.  The President has the power either to sign legislation into law or to veto bills enacted by Congress, although Congress may override a veto with a two-thirds vote of both houses.  Once signed into law, the Executive Branch (Cabinet departments and agencies such as the CIA and Environmental Protection Agency, the heads of which are not part of the Cabinet, but who are under the full authority of the President)  enforces the laws passed by the Congress.  Usually, passing legislation is a long process but Congress can move quickly if it wants to. 

Thanks. So basically how it works all the time. It would seem like in the grand scheme of things that a return to US-based cruising would be minutiae. 'Course they waste a lot of time anyway.

4 hours ago, Erndog72 said:

I am much more concerned with catching shingles

Good news - you have one less thing to worry about as one does not "catch shingles" 😀

Everyone behaving as you did without vaccination is playing Russian roulette. Lots of people are getting COVID with 70,000 new cases every single day.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I used to ski moguls

My husband's back doctor told him a few years ago "no more moguls." He wasn't heart broken. He's 76 and has a history of yuck-back.

18 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Good news - you have one less thing to worry about as one does not "catch shingles" 😀

Our Deacon, who was unable to preach yesterday because he has shingles, would be glad to hear that.