When will things start back up?

KS&JW

15 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

For those who may be looking for cheap digs: SF Chronicle

The SF Bay Area and New York City were among the most prevalent out-migration U.S. markets in 2020, according to U-Haul.

I have read that in a few places.  Probably could get a great deal to buy or rent now in either of those city's. 

4 hours ago, RJB said:

I have read that in a few places.  Probably could get a great deal to buy or rent now in either of those city's. 

"Great deal" is still a relative term for those cities, I'm guessing.

47 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Princess has cancelled all cruises through to 14th May.

The rest to follow soon I'm sure. I am already scoping out Baltic cruises for summer 2022. Due to Oceania's pricing as being $1000 more for the same Marina cruise next year than I have booked for 2021, a Baltic cruise will be on another line. With a port intensive cruise, the ship is not that important if as I do you view it as a floating hotel and transportation to visit a lot of countries without packing, unpacking, and checking in and out of hotels. Norwegaian has some spectacular prices now on 2022 Baltic cruises.

23 hours ago, susiesan said:

The rest to follow soon I'm sure. I am already scoping out Baltic cruises for summer 2022. Due to Oceania's pricing as being $1000 more for the same Marina cruise next year than I have booked for 2021, a Baltic cruise will be on another line. With a port intensive cruise, the ship is not that important if as I do you view it as a floating hotel and transportation to visit a lot of countries without packing, unpacking, and checking in and out of hotels. Norwegian has some spectacular prices now on 2022 Baltic cruises.

I found an almost identical cruise on Norwegian Dream for 2022 in case Marina doesn't sail.

10 nights Stockholm to Amsterdam Aug. 16. Inside cabin, same as we have now. Total price for 2 people is $1200 less than on Marina. Same OBC from the TA, free internet, specialty dining package free. Deposit of $250 paid today. I know the food won't be as good but since this is our floating hotel and we will only be having breakfast and dinner onboard (onshore for lunch) I know I will survive.

Just now, susiesan said:

I found an almost identical cruise on Norwegian Dream for 2022 in case Marina doesn't sail.

10 nights Stockholm to Amsterdam Aug. 16. Inside cabin, same as we have now. Total price for 2 people is $1200 less than on Marina 2021 but 200 less than Marina cruise in 2022. Same OBC from the TA, free internet, specialty dining package free. Deposit of $250 paid today. I know the food won't be as good but since this is our floating hotel and we will only be having breakfast and dinner onboard (onshore for lunch) I know I will survive.

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

10 nights Stockholm to Amsterdam Aug. 16. Inside cabin, same as we have now. Total price for 2 people is $1200 less than on Marina. Same OBC from the TA, free internet, specialty dining package free. Deposit of $250 paid today. I know the food won't be as good but since this is our floating hotel and we will only be having breakfast and dinner onboard (onshore for lunch) I know I will survive.

I also responded to your post on the NCL board.  You will definitely survive. We cruise a lot on NCL and have some cruises on Oceania. On a relatively short port intensive cruise where you're booking an inside cabin I would do the same as you and save the money by booking NCL.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

With regard to NCL food which, in our view, is the weakest part of their offering the way to mitigate the problem is to use the specialty restaurants for dinner. They usually offer a package pre-cruise, and the more nights you order the lower the cost per night becomes....in our view, these are good value.

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

With regard to NCL food which, in our view, is the weakest part of their offering the way to mitigate the problem is to use the specialty restaurants for dinner. They usually offer a package pre-cruise, and the more nights you order the lower the cost per night becomes....in our view, these are good value.

I agree.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, susiesan said:

Just an fyi. We're booked on the Marina for 9/22 but it's a 14 day cruise.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/baltic-cruises/oslo-to-amsterdam-MNA220913/

10 hours ago, clo said:

Just an fyi. We're booked on the Marina for 9/22 but it's a 14 day cruise.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/baltic-cruises/oslo-to-amsterdam-MNA220913/

That is a great itinerary, very similar to the Norwegian Dawn one that I booked. The price would be 66% more what I am paying on NCL. In an inside on Marina, that is $260 a day pp versus $172 a day on Dawn. As much as I like Oceania, it is just not worth the extra money to me. Maybe if they run a sale or have a special offer if 2021 Baltic cruise end up being cancelled I would consider. I can easily cancel the NCL cruise and get my minimal $250 deposit back.

19 hours ago, hamrag said:

plus1

22 minutes ago, tennis said:

We are booked on the Marina 4/30/21 sailing from Athens.  I am guessing most on this board think it will be cancelled.  Is that correct?

I believe so. I believe it is currently a 13 or 14 day cruise. 4/30 is probably a bit early to expect the EU to lift the 7 day cruise limit.

Also not sure if O can get a crew assembled by then and vaccinated. Ship is still in cool or cold storage.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tennis said:

We are booked on the Marina 4/30/21 sailing from Athens.  I am guessing most on this board think it will be cancelled.  Is that correct?

I think so  not sure what others think

I think a lot of Countries are still trying to control the outbreaks  & it will be awhile before  the vaccine is given to a lot of people in those Countries

We are out of Vaccine  in Ontario  ..more to come next week   but still only doing nursing homes & healthcare workers

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

We are out of Vaccine  in Ontario  ..more to come next week   but still only doing nursing homes & healthcare workers

Same here. Next will be 75+ and then 65+ with comorbidity but no dates given.

2 hours ago, tennis said:

Setting aside any cruising issues, I cannot imagine that tourism will be back in either Greece or Italy by this May. Both countries are experiencing similar vaccination distribution issues that we are facing here in the USA.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I am not even sure we have a list here

I have not seen much  on  who gets it  just healthcare/first responders/nursing homes

They did not even want to give it to the jail guard  just the prisoners

They are so messed up here

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

My husband is in the latest tier due to age but there's not enough for that group. Health care, etc.

Our Virginia governor just gave the go ahead for the 75 and over group in certain counties where most of the health care workers and nursing home patients were already vaccinated.  The next group has 1.2 million people statewide.  I had a hunch and found the right number to get on the list.  I called for my 75 year old DH and they asked me if I wanted to get on the list as well....why, yes...yes I did.  It isn't much, but it is a start.

19 hours ago, clo said:

My husband is in the latest tier due to age but there's not enough for that group. Health care, etc.

I found out today that Nevada is in last or almost last place in vaccinations to date.

2 hours ago, clo said:

I found out today that Nevada is in last or almost last place in vaccinations to date.

I believe my neighboring state of Kanas is at the very bottom. So half of the metro KC area, Missouri side,  will get vaccinated before the other half. I live in Missouri.

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I can’t imagine any state doing a worse job of it than CA

Actually CA is right in the middle. They have vaccinated 1.5% of their population. KS is one of 6 states that haven't reported. Here is a handy table, use the one on the right. 

https://time.com/collection/coronavirus-vaccines-updates/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=sfmc&utm_campaign=newsletter+health-thursday+default+ac&utm_content=+++20210107+++body&et_rid=92272582

• Like 1