Carnival Corporation to Sell 13 Cruise Ships

Copper10-8

2 hours ago, drowelf said:

Wow, if thats a true representation it looks like a major decrease in the passenger count, as the rendition has half the tenders/lifeboats on each side. 

I noticed that as well.  Makes me think the "new ships" are merely an artist's representation of them.

2 hours ago, bcummin said:

It is interesting to notice how some cruise lines need to sell ships now, while others are able to buy the ships.

Barbara

I believe Carnival made a major mistake in selling ships to non Carnival Corp. companies, they should be scrapped. The loss in that revenue, is nothing they will lose in market share from lost passengers to the buying companies at bargain prices.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iancal said:

I believe that the cruise lines are doing the right thing to survive.  Get rid of ships that are not profitable or may require large capital investment over the next few years.  Why pay to lay up these ships when cash flow is a huge issue?    No doubt pre covid many of them were slated for disposal .  Covid and cash flow challenges moved the timeframes forward.

The ships they are getting rid of were profitable before Covid, but probably not as profitable/passengers as other ships.  Otherwise they would have been disposed of a while ago. 

Based on Carnival some of the ships being disposed of in the next 90 days were scheduled to be disposed of in the next few years.  They are just accelerating the process.  Targeting ships that  were scheduled to go into mandatory dry dock in the next few months

5 minutes ago, Indianadaytripper said:

I believe Carnival made a major mistake in selling ships to non Carnival Corp. companies, they should be scrapped. The loss in that revenue, is nothing they will lose in market share from lost passengers to the buying companies at bargain prices.

The buying companies are mostly in a different target  market than the Carnival Corp Companies.  Yes there is some overlap, but not as much as you would think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gatour said:

The buying companies are mostly in a different target  market than the Carnival Corp Companies.  Yes there is some overlap, but not as much as you would think.

they will only expand and will be more into Carnivals Markets and other cruise line markets as well. thats my thoughts 

3 minutes ago, gatour said:

I recall reading a post of part of the Quarterly Conference Call between Mr. Donald and Mr. Bernstein and financial analysts that did indicate that the sales were going to be going to what they viewed as non-competing companies in the markets that CCL wants to play.   

1 minute ago, Indianadaytripper said:

they will only expand and will be more into Carnivals Markets and other cruise line markets as well. thats my thoughts 

I understand your thinking.  Developing how the cruise industry develops as a result of this pandemic and economic crisis, your concerns may be realized.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Be interesting to see how cruising does in Australia.  I think the industry created some bad PR for itself in Australia during the last few months.  

"Bad PR for itself in Australia", you are truly master at the art of understatement.😃

40 minutes ago, Himself said:

Would you ride the magic carpet on the EDGE? or APEX?

Sure, wouldn't mind but 😉 just learned that there are no people allowed on it when it moves up and down. It does have it's own bar however.......

43 minutes ago, gatour said:

The ships they are getting rid of were profitable before Covid, but probably not as profitable/passengers as other ships.  Otherwise they would have been disposed of a while ago. 

Based on Carnival some of the ships being disposed of in the next 90 days were scheduled to be disposed of in the next few years.  They are just accelerating the process.  Targeting ships that  were scheduled to go into mandatory dry dock in the next few months

Donald and Ashford have been saying for several years now that the smaller ships are just not profitable any more

Edited by Copper10-8

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Sure, wouldn't mind but 😉 just learned that there are no people allowed on it when it moves up and down. It does have it's own bar however.......

Part of the reason for that, is they transform it into a different venue on each level.  I remember watching a video when it came out, and it showed a specialty dinner venue on one deck, a champagne bar on another deck, and a tender loading platform on another.

However, if you want a true elevating bar, the ones on Oasis Class are pretty cool.....

Oasis-class cruise ships – Cruiseship Odyssey

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Let me know when you are ding it and I might book it also!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

This is the first video that I have seen of this feature and I am impressed:  somewhat.  It's a gimmick.  What impressed me more was the interior of the tenders!  Spacious, airline style seats, and the ease of entering/leaving the tenders from the ship.

In order to sail on Celebrity Edge or Apex--or any of that Class that follows--I guess I could put very dark sunglasses on and not spend much time looking at the exterior design of the vessel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

This is the first video that I have seen of this feature and I am impressed:  somewhat.  It's a gimmick.  What impressed me more was the interior of the tenders!  Spacious, airline style seats, and the ease of entering/leaving the tenders from the ship.

In order to sail on Celebrity Edge or Apex--or any of that Class that follows--I guess I could put very dark sunglasses on and not spend much time looking at the exterior design of the vessel.

Yeah, those tenders are out of this world! They even have overhead TV screens that show ports of call info. Only thing missing are attendants that come by the aisle serving adult beverages, as Sheldon would say 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, drsel said:
20 hours ago, Himself said:
riend, I hope you are correct.  This was supposed to be a 30 day pause and look what happened.  Every day I get something from CELEBRITY and I have never been on one of their ships.

You are certainly missing out on the best affordable Cruise line

I take it you like Celebrity.  Are they more economical than HAL.   Is the food as good?

1 hour ago, Himself said:

I take it you like Celebrity.  Are they more economical than HAL.   Is the food as good?

I also like Celebrity.  In fact, despite not having cruised them in about 5 years, I'd say they're my favorite line.  The ships are stunning and modern.  

Based on my last couple HAL cruises, I'd say Celebrity food is slightly better.  Regarding specialty restaurants, there is no comparison at all,  Celebrity blows HAL away.  Same goes for entertainment.  No comparison. 

Economical?  Well, that's why I've been on HAL more than Celebrity lately.  I keep finding HAL cruises that are significantly cheaper on the dates I look to sail. 

**Edit - But I do recognize this is on the HAL board, so some might be quick to dispute my opinions. 😉

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 2

Being regular passengers on both  HAL and X, We actually find the entertainment much, much better on HAL, with the BB Kings, Billboard and Rolling Stone blowing anything  X has out of the water.

regarding food, X USED to be very good. Nowadays, in “steerage”, the food is below that of HAL in the MDR, and especially on the Buffet. You want some Sushi on X? Pay for it, and man, they overcharge!

A cocktail on X? You pay almost double compared to HAL.

But yes, their vessels are simply stunning.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Despegue said:

Being regular passengers on both  HAL and X, We actually find the entertainment much, much better on HAL, with the BB Kings, Billboard and Rolling Stone blowing anything  X has out of the water.

regarding food, X USED to be very good. Nowadays, in “steerage”, the food is below that of HAL in the MDR, and especially on the Buffet. You want some Sushi on X? Pay for it, and man, they overcharge!

A cocktail on X? You pay almost double compared to HAL.

But yes, their vessels are simply stunning.

I would have to agree.  X MDR has gone down hill since they went to the 2 class structure.  Specalty dining might be better but the price is higher as well

Celebrity used to be my go to line, not so much any more.

Though I must admit that I think that the parent company RCL is doing more to try and get sailing again than is CCL.

Edited by npcl

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Donald and Ashford have been saying for several years now that the smaller ships are just not profitable any more

Obviously not true (they have said it, they were wrong) as numerous lines demonstrate (Azamara, Oceania are two I can think of).  A more accurate statement by them would be that they are not profitable at the discount prices of a medium level line.  Holland had a ship that also proved this to be wrong in the Prinsendam which charged a 30-40% premium and yet still sailed full.  

1 hour ago, Himself said:

Is the food as good?

This comment is based on my one cruise aboard Celebrity Eclipse, a 14 day cruise from Port Everglades.

MDR food and service was lacking in comparison to a HAL cruise that I had just completed.

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Regarding specialty restaurants, there is no comparison at all,  Celebrity blows HAL away.  Same goes for entertainment.  No comparison. 

Dined at Murano's and had a lunch and dinner at Tuscan Grill; all three meals were far better than what I ever experienced at any PG previously on HAL.  Well prepared cuisine and excellent, attentive service.  (My most recent PG experiences, particularly with the advent of Rudi's Sel de Mer, have improved with Rudi's--either stand alone or pop-up being absolutely excellent.)  I think a new Executive V-P for Food and Beverage has made a major difference.  (I wonder if he is still employed by HAL?)

Main showroom entertainment was mostly not to my liking on Eclipse.  Music elsewhere in the ship was very good.  The Eclipse is a beautiful ship and I am glad that I had the opportunity to sail on her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Obviously not true (they have said it, they were wrong) as numerous lines demonstrate (Azamara, Oceania are two I can think of).  A more accurate statement by them would be that they are not profitable at the discount prices of a medium level line.  Holland had a ship that also proved this to be wrong in the Prinsendam which charged a 30-40% premium and yet still sailed full.  

They said they were wrong re: the small ships not being profitable? When was this?

37 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

They said they were wrong re: the small ships not being profitable? When was this?

No, I was trying to be clear that they said what you said but if what they said was true Azamara and Oceania among others would be out of business.  The point is, small ships are profitable at the right price point.