Carnival Corporation to Sell 13 Cruise Ships

Copper10-8

On 7/18/2020 at 7:35 AM, crusinbanjo said:

As I said in another thread, "I guess I am glad I don’t have a future booking or FCC on HAL at this time.  Mrs Banjo and I will be leaving the fleet for cruise lines that continue to offer smaller ships."

Unfortunately, count me in on this also.   While my wife and I love HAL, we also hate (with a passion) larger ships.  Until now we have always had HAL to "fall back on" (Interesting itineraries and good price point) and have therefore have not ventured out to Viking/Oceania/Azamera.    Now they (and CMV if they survive this mess, their prices are reasonable.) are becoming much more probable in our future.  

17 hours ago, JanDom said:

We tried both. X ships are beautiful but on sea days you won’t find a table at mdr- so last time we had our dinner outside in our hand while it was raining.

Are you referring to the buffet at lunchtime?  Not finding a table in the MDR for dinner sounds very odd.  

Just another thought.  When the Koningsdam first came out, people were horrified by the lack of seating on the promenade,  the loss of a library etc.   As one who loves the promenade and libraries I wasn’t sure I would like her.  We spent 23 nights on her and she is truly beautiful. We booked a stateroom with a large balcony and thus didn’t need to sit on the promenade to find shade.  And now the libraries are missing on all or most of the ships.   She really didn’t feel much different or larger than the Nieuw Amsterdam Or Westerdam,  but she is absolutely beautiful and oh having dinner in the tamarind at sunset!  Sigh!   

I too have no desire for the behemoths of the sea of over 5000,  but HALs ships are still midsize. 

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Despegue said:

I never was able to sail onboard my favourite ships Fantasy and Sisters.  In so many ways, these ships were revolutionary. Their soaring Atriums, the still very Joe Farcus but more classy and actually sporting an Expensively themed decor, the entry of Carnival into the big players and in my opinion the real start of mass market cruising...

Each Fantasy class vessel is themed completely differently, they could be floating design museums and thema parks at once, but alas, they are destined to become cans of coke and beer .Just like the Queen.

I share your thinking.  Never sailed on a Fantasy Class vessel, but have experienced the work of Mr. Farcus on some of the other Carnival ships.  Some reviled his art.  For the time and for the Carnival Cruise Line marketing purposes, I think it was perfect.

I so much enjoyed sitting at the Atrium Bar on all of the ships I sailed viewing the art, the soaring ceiling with its elevators on one side, speaking with fellow guests and the bartenders, and the music being offered during the evening.  Not a HAL experience, to be sure, but it was an excellent cruise experience nonetheless.  

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 6:42 PM, drsel said:

Updated list
Previously sold
Costa neoClassica sold to Bahamas Paradise
Costa neoRiviera sold to AIDA (group Co.)
Costa Atlantica - sold to Carnival-China JV
Costa Mediterranea - sold to Carnival-China JV
P&O Aus Pacific Aria - sold to CMV, early departure
P&O Aus Pacific Dawn-sold to CMV, early departure

Confirmed
Costa Victoria - sold for scrap
P&O Oceana sold to Greek buyer-Chinese interests
HAL Maasdam
HAL Veendam
HAL Rotterdam sold to Fred Olsen
HAL Amsterdam sold to Fred Olsen
Costa neoRomantica - sold to Celestyal Cruises
Golden Princess - internal transfer to P&O Australia
Star Princess - internal transfer to P&O Australia

Very Likely
Carnival Fascination - sold for scrap
Carnival Inspiration - sold for scrap
Carnival Elation - sold for scrap
Carnival Imagination - sold for scrap
Carnival Ecstasy - sold for scrap
Carnival Fantasy- sold for scrap

looks like the sales to CMV may not happen. CMV has gone into administration. Same with the related german Transocean tours.

Edited by npcl

2 hours ago, npcl said:

looks like the sales to CMV may not happen. CMV has gone into administration. Same with the related german Transocean tours.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23261-cruise-maritime-voyages-placed-into-administration.html

Edited by Copper10-8

On 7/19/2020 at 4:47 PM, rkacruiser said:

I share your thinking.  Never sailed on a Fantasy Class vessel, but have experienced the work of Mr. Farcus on some of the other Carnival ships.  Some reviled his art.  For the time and for the Carnival Cruise Line marketing purposes, I think it was perfect.

I so much enjoyed sitting at the Atrium Bar on all of the ships I sailed viewing the art, the soaring ceiling with its elevators on one side, speaking with fellow guests and the bartenders, and the music being offered during the evening.  Not a HAL experience, to be sure, but it was an excellent cruise experience nonetheless.  

I totally agree with you.  Same goes for RCI.  Those central atriums are beautiful and I love when there is live music there.  Heck, RCI even added aerial acts as entertainment on some ships.  I'd love to see HAL build them into their future ships.  

Pullmantur, CMV, Birka.

3 small Cruise lines have gone bankrupt.

How many more to go?

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I totally agree with you.  Same goes for RCI.  Those central atriums are beautiful and I love when there is live music there.  Heck, RCI even added aerial acts as entertainment on some ships.  I'd love to see HAL build them into their future ships.  

Hoping they use a catch net underneath, or at least a harness with safety line, in case the act goes sideways

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hoping they use a catch net underneath, or at least a harness with safety line, in case the act goes sideways

Nope.  Just like on the mainstage.  No safety net.  

Centrum Aerial Shows | DESIGNDUO

Cruise Ships

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Don't book a room near the atrium, the sound bleeds in terribly. Between the constant announcements and the atrium events, it seemed like my room was never quiet. 

That's why I like HAL. But I'm glad they are the choice for others.

On 7/18/2020 at 6:42 PM, drsel said:

Updated list
Previously sold
Costa neoClassica sold to Bahamas Paradise
Costa neoRiviera sold to AIDA (group Co.)
Costa Atlantica - sold to Carnival-China JV
Costa Mediterranea - sold to Carnival-China JV
P&O Aus Pacific Aria - sold to CMV - CMV/TransOcean into administration 20 Jul 2020/ceased trading
P&O Aus Pacific Dawn - sold to CMV - CMV/TransOcean into administration 20 Jul 2020/ceased trading

Confirmed
Costa Victoria - sold for scrap
P&O Oceana sold to Greek buyer-Chinese interests
HAL Maasdam sold to Blue Seas Cruises but actual buyer unconfirmed as of yet
HAL Veendam sold to Blue Seas Cruises but actual buyer unconfirmed as of yet
HAL Rotterdam sold to Fred Olsen
HAL Amsterdam sold to Fred Olsen
Costa neoRomantica - sold to Celestyal Cruises
Golden Princess - internal transfer to P&O Australia
Star Princess - internal transfer to P&O Australia
Carnival Fantasy - sold for scrap, ETA Aliaga, Turkey 28 Jul
Carnival Inspiration - sold for scrap ETA Izmir, Turkey 03 Aug 

Carnival Imagination - moved to long term layup; no timeline for return to service

Carnival Fascination - moved to long term layup; no timeline for return to service

Staying in the fleet (Fantasy Class)
Carnival Elation
Carnival Ecstasy

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Paradise

Updated 23 Jul 2020

Edited by Copper10-8

I believe that there will be more by the time this situation is over. 

Older ships, smaller ships, those slated for major drydocks/major capital investment, those that have not met profit targets for a a few consecutive years.  Those that have no place in future cruise line strategies.   Across all Carnival Corp cruise lines.  Why hold on to the dogs (for whatever reason) when it costs limited resources  to lay them up?  

Sad to see them go perhaps but it is just business after all.   It is all about financial survival and getting primed for a resumption in business.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 12:38 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Some of the pax might want to try it..

• Haha 1

Unfortunately, the Atrium is going the way of the Dodo.

Lots of open space not used for either cabins or income venues...

I still think that the Carnival Spirit Class atriums are the most impressive at sea. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Despegue said:

Unfortunately, the Atrium is going the way of the Dodo.

Lots of open space not used for either cabins or income venues...

I still think that the Carnival Spirit Class atriums are the most impressive at sea. 

Carnival Pride and Carnival Miracle's Atriums were guest friendly and entertaining.  

On 7/23/2020 at 6:44 PM, rkacruiser said:

Carnival Pride and Carnival Miracle's Atriums were guest friendly and entertaining.  

Nice to see a nice comment on Carnival.  Does not happen too often. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Himself said:

Nice to see a nice comment on Carnival.  Does not happen too often. 

I ought to have included a positive comment about my experiences in the Atriums of Carnival Freedom and Carnival Liberty as well.  Carnival's product isn't for everyone, I suppose.  But, it has its pluses that sometimes get overlooked.  One was the "Towel Animal Theater" presented one afternoon in the main lounge of Carnival Liberty.  Designed and scheduled for the young cruisers, this senior citizen chose to attend and it was very entertaining and funny.  I laughed more during that brief show than I did when I attended any of the performances of the on-board "comedian (?)".

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I ought to have included a positive comment about my experiences in the Atriums of Carnival Freedom and Carnival Liberty as well.  Carnival's product isn't for everyone, I suppose.  But, it has its pluses that sometimes get overlooked.  One was the "Towel Animal Theater" presented one afternoon in the main lounge of Carnival Liberty.  Designed and scheduled for the young cruisers, this senior citizen chose to attend and it was very entertaining and funny.  I laughed more during that brief some of the on board commedians.

Some of the commedians are not that good.

Just now, Himself said:

Some of the commedians are not that good.

Some of the comedians are not funny whatsoever in my opinion.  It's probably me, but I sit in a show and people around me are laughing up "a storm".  I don't get the jokes at all.  I don't appreciate the off color humor.  I always sit in a seat where my exit from such a performance will be quick and unhindered in case I choose to do so.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Some of the comedians are not funny whatsoever in my opinion.  It's probably me, but I sit in a show and people around me are laughing up "a storm".  I don't get the jokes at all.  I don't appreciate the off color humor.  I always sit in a seat where my exit from such a performance will be quick and unhindered in case I choose to do so.  

I also dislike and resent off color humor.