Carnival Corporation to Sell 13 Cruise Ships

Copper10-8

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

That would make them the oldest ships in their fleet but time will tell. The Germans (TransOcean Tours, the German branch of Cruise & Maritime Voyages) now have the lead ship of the "S" class, Statendam as Vasco da Gama and will get another sister, the former Ryndam, next year as Ida Pfeiffer. Might be a better fit for Maasie and Veendam if they are going exit stage left

Apologies; you were talking about a "R," not a "S" class ship,my error!

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks Copper.  I guess Carnival is dropping all the smaller ships.  That is one I would have considered sailing.

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The older ships in the different Carnival group brands seem to be prime candidates which makes sense! Not yet confirmed on Pacific Princess and the others, however..........

We had  been looking forward to trying the Pacific Princess out in Tahiti this coming fall, 

alas not this year.        Hopefully some day!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bennybear said:

We had  been looking forward to trying the Pacific Princess out in Tahiti this coming fall, 

alas not this year.        Hopefully some day!  

Perhaps try Paul Gauguin; gets nice reviews!

• Like 2

Noone seems to mention the AIDA line of Carnival.  They have one ship from 1996 that is 38,000 GT and two at 42,000.  They are from the early 2000s and any could fill the slot of Prinsendam.  Their newest addition is actually the Costa neoRiviera, transferred to AIDA as AIDAmira, and is from 1999.  There are a lot of ships in the Carnival stable/boathouse that could replace many ships on lines like Fred Olsen, Cruise & Maritime, etc.  EM

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Despegue said:

Aidaaura , Aidavita and Aidacara are consistently selling for a premium price, with a very loyal following.

they are moneymakers.

thank you.  AIDA is not promoted in the US so we have no idea how they sell.  I do know I saw AIDAcara many times in the Kiel Kanal when I was following ships there.  EM

Aidaaura , Aidavita and Aidacara are consistently selling for a premium price, with a very loyal following.
they are moneymakers.

I don’t think they are moneymakers.
A lot of people like the newer Aida ships more but maybe have to go with the old ones if they want to see some stops because Aida gives the best routes to the old ships to have a chance they will be booked....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think ships like carnival ecstasy will be the first ones to be sold, because these ships don’t look like the cruise ship of today....

I also don’t think that the German market will need much more ships. Phoenix has a lot of old ships and only older Germans are going with them. There is also Tui and Aida.
Germans like also to go with Costa and MSC.

And I know a lot of people who told me they won’t cruise anymore or in the next years.
Here a lot of people bought Camper this year, so I am sure they will use it over the next years for their holidays...

But we can only hope and wish that the nice ships of HAL will stay in the fleet...

... why is the MS Rotterdam not mentioned in the list ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

3 hours ago, Himself said:

Those woul be the two oldest ships in the HAL fleet.  The MAASDAM came out in 1993 and the VEENDAM in 1996.

I guess I like sailing on 'old' ships as I love what remains of HAL's S & R class ships.  The Prinsendam was my favorite.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

they are moneymakers.

Just curious if you know; what are they, about 90% German occupancy rate?

Supply and demand are changing rapidly.  Who knows where the dust will settle, with the cruise line's new capacity, and ongoing operational expenses (debt, rehiring, health protocol).  New and casual cruisers may be reluctant to sail due to the economy, virus fears, and generally put off by the Diamond Princess situation.

I expect prices to stay low while the cruise lines are hungry for cash, and then rise.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

6 hours ago, JanDom said:

why is the MS Rotterdam not mentioned in the list ?

None of the R Class ships are on the list.

Rotterdam and Amsterdam are currently the co-flagships of the fleet.

6 hours ago, Despegue said:

they are moneymakers.

Also, with the limitations on ports of call, this limits the opening of European cruises to EU flagged ships exclusively, so lines like AIDA, HAL, and Costa could keep older ships viable longer than flag of convenience ships.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Apologies; you were talking about a "R," not a "S" class ship,my error!

I was actually talking about the old Renaissance ships, like the Pacific Princess. Forgot that the terminology could be confusing given HAL's ship classes....

Oceania purchased one of the two remaining ex-Renaissance ships held by Princess a few years ago and extensively updated her.  Rumor was the update cost a lot more than they originally expected. I also think O has some new, larger ships on order. So I'm not sure if they would be "in the market" for another small oldie. But I love those ships. Have been on the Princess ones and on Azamara, and I love the size and the layout. Cabins are small though, which may bother some...

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Supply and demand are changing rapidly.  Who knows where the dust will settle, with the cruise line's new capacity, and ongoing operational expenses (debt, rehiring, health protocol).  New and casual cruisers may be reluctant to sail due to the economy, virus fears, and generally put off by the Diamond Princess situation.

I expect prices to stay low while the cruise lines are hungry for cash, and then rise.

Interesting to see some of the moves being made. I am not aware of all the ramifications, but read on the Celebrity forum yesterday that RCCL has just announced that it is acquiring the remaining 1/3 stock in Silversea (I gather it had already acquired 2/3, of which I wasn't aware) in a stock exchange deal. From the quoted write-up, it sounded as though Silversea was valued at far less now than earlier, but it seems like a surprising time to make this kind of move....

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/royal-caribbean-buys-out-silversea-cruises-for-about-245-million-worth-of-stock-2020-07-10

7 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I guess I like sailing on 'old' ships as I love what remains of HAL's S & R class ships.  The Prinsendam was my favorite.  

Hopefully HAL will keep the R Class ships but I would not count on all of them staying. 

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Interesting to see some of the moves being made. I am not aware of all the ramifications, but read on the Celebrity forum yesterday that RCCL has just announced that it is acquiring the remaining 1/3 stock in Silversea (I gather it had already acquired 2/3, of which I wasn't aware) in a stock exchange deal. From the quoted write-up, it sounded as though Silversea was valued at far less now than earlier, but it seems like a surprising time to make this kind of move....

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/royal-caribbean-buys-out-silversea-cruises-for-about-245-million-worth-of-stock-2020-07-10

All stock deal it seems, so no cash required.  Likely a good move by RCCL to buy in depressed prices time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

All stock deal it seems, so no cash required.  Likely a good move by RCCL to buy in depressed prices time.

More on this:

Based on Thursday's closing price of $47.12, 5.2 million Royal shares would be valued at $245.0 million. That would assume a Silversea valuation of about $735.1 million, a substantial discount to the valuation of about $2 billion when Royal completed the purchase of a two-thirds stake in July 2018.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yeah, I noticed that; both currently in the Strait of Malacca along with Crown Princess; ETA at the Canal, one week from today

The Daily thread today reports Amsterdam is also heading towards the Suez Canal.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

The Daily thread today reports Amsterdam is also heading towards the Suez Canal.

Yep, learned last night that Maasdam, Veendam, Amsterdam and Rotterdam are now (or will be, in case of the latter two) all heading for Cyprus via the Suez Canal

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yep, learned last night that Maasdam, Veendam, Amsterdam and Rotterdam are now (or will be, in case of the latter two) all heading for Cyprus via the Suez Canal

Seabourn Encore and Quest, and Sky and Regal Princess are all at an anchorage east of Limassol.  Do you suppose they'll be joining their 4 cousins?

Roy