Anyone experience a tidal wave, rogue wave, storm or tsunami?

With regards to Crown Princess heeling incident, this is not unusual.  Another Princess ship had a similar incident off Oz/New Zealand a few years ago, and the Norwegian Sky had a similar incident around Vancouver, where they landed more than a hundred guests for hospital treatment of injuries.

A tanker I was on, was slammed by a rogue wave so hard, we literally stopped dead in the water, and all the ceiling panels on the bridge fell down, and file cabinets ripped out of the walls.  This was off Santos, Brazil.  Another ship I was on was struck by two waves of 20 meters high at the same time (coming from two directions on the bow), which stood the ship up so much that the propellers came out of the water and we oversped the port engine.  This was off Newfoundland.

As for the Poseidon Adventure, the entire movie concept is false, and the major premise that the "weakest" point on the ship is "where the propeller shaft goes out" is just the opposite, it is the strongest part of the ship.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Where's Bob when you need him.

Board search only goes back as far as the last "upgrade."

The link used to be in my signature, but the signatures were "edited" by board administration a while ago, too.

Our very first cruise was in March 2014 on the Grandeur of the Seas.  We hit a wave hard & we heard something crack (We were in the solarium).  We found out the jogging deck cracked & the railings let lose.  There were officers running to the pool deck in back of the solarium & looking above.  We have seen pictures since then.  There was a speed bump there for a long time.  It was handled very calmly so we did not feel worried.  What an experience for a first time cruiser!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

The link used to be in my signature, but the signatures were "edited" by board administration a while ago, too.

Send a note to @LauraS

You never know

56 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Unless you're in SHALLOW water, like port....you'll never KNOW there was a tsunami....it really only affects LAND.  Plenty of storms and"rogue waves  A "tidal wave" is a tsunami.  Same thing

Been a long time, (school) but thought tidal wave and tsunami are different 

7 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Not sure a modern ship today would have the fate of the Poseidon Adventure. Here's a short clip of when it capsized in the movie. (Some 70s nostalgia) This of course is a movie and unrealistic but was wondering what the biggest wave to hit a ship has been.  The QE2 in 1995 caught a 95 ft wave and survived -- not sure if bigger waves have been documented.  The Anthem was caught in a bad storm a few years ago.  Was anyone on it and what did you experience? 

We were on the Explorer cruise out of Bayonne 5 March, 2013 to the Caribbean for an extended family cruise.  We go caught in a Nor’easter for 2 days on way down.  Majority of people on the ship got sick.  Waves would regularly go over bow.  Luckily it didn’t bother me.  As a bonus, on the trip back up we did have a rogue wave that took out one of the windows in the MDR late at night. 

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

It was not the biggest wave documented by any means, but I was on the Explorer in November 2014 when it was hit by a rogue wave, pre-dawn.  Many CCers were on board with me and will probably chime in.

As soon as I read the title of this thread, I thought, "I wonder if M Mom is watching".  That post of yours is the first thing that popped into my head. 

Scariest post I ever read, except for the poor guy that got left in Cozumel looking for his BIL and son at the water park, and had to wait overnight with no money for the US Consultate (Embassy???) to open the next morning. 

46 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Majority of people on the ship got sick

I think this was a theme on my Explorer OTS cruise as well - they were putting "seasick bags" in the stairwells.  Having been my first cruise, I was honestly amazed that I didn't need to utilize one and it was so bad they either drained some water from the pool or enough had splashed out (when I saw the pool with water it looked like a wave pool) that it looked like they had.

3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I believe CC search is limited to any thread which has a post less than one year old. However, Google searches can sometimes find older threads.

Biker, who misses older resurrections.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I believe CC search is limited to any thread which has a post less than one year old. However, Google searches can sometimes find older threads.

Biker, who misses older resurrections.

Ah, good tip.  Next time I'll use google.  ☺️

29 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

YES!!! HOW DID YOU FIND IT???

By the way, most of those posts were mine.  Back in 2006, I was far from owning a laptop.  Nancy brought one for work.  😄

Why were you in Pt Canaveral

I’ve been in “rough seas,” waves crashing up to deck five, people being thrown out of chairs, you can’t walk down the hallways without crashing into first the left wall then the right, all outdoor decks closed, etc. what scares me is we asked the crew if this was especially bad (we were in the Med) and they laughed at us. This is nothing they told us. 

If that was nothing, I don’t want to be in something. 

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

And here is my CC thread:  darn.  I can't find it.  And my bookmark is gone.  If anyone else has it, please post it.

Hoopster to the rescue 👍

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/358629-live-live-live-from-the-crown-711-2nd-try/

Weren't you on that Brilliance sailing in the Med heading into Alexandria? I know Laura was on this sailing

https://www.seanews.com.tr/royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-damaged-in-rough-seas-dozens-injured/45093/

Worst I was in wasn't on a cruise ship but smaller, about 155ft LOA.

Steady Force 11 in the North Sea in a December with one prop fouled and the other could've gone at any time.

That's one notch below Hurricane!

• Like 1

Was on Carib Cruise in 90's during new record yr named Hurricanes/Storm's, 4 during week my Cruise. Boat was a rocking, many passengers ended up broke bones, in wheelchairs and on Crutches when Deck walking along the Deck would drop. Been Cruising over 30yrs, inc out N Atlantic but this Caribbean Cruise was wildest...

We were scheduled on a transatlantic crossing on the QE2 from New York to Southampton in the fall of 1992. Our voyage was delayed when the QE2 ran aground off Martha's Vineyard on August 7, 1992. What was communicated as a "scrape to the hull" and "minor damage" ended up requiring several weeks of repair in a German dry dock. 

Fast forward to mid/late October 1992, we were on our rescheduled crossing. Sailing through a gale on the North Atlantic, we were hit by a rogue wave causing the ship to heel. All of the glassware in the stateroom went crashing against the wall. The poor room stewards spent the whole night cleaning up the rooms. We went to the medical center for some first aid supplies and the center was overflowing with bumps and bruises. One of the galley staff was there with a cut and related how trays of food for dinner went flying and had to be thrown out. 

Fortunately, we were in the grill class and had a private table in the dining room, so a late dinner was not a problem. A few years later in 1995, the QE2 suffered another more famous encounter with a rogue wave off the coast of Newfoundland coincidentally on 9/11.

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Hoopster to the rescue 👍

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/358629-live-live-live-from-the-crown-711-2nd-try/

Weren't you on that Brilliance sailing in the Med heading into Alexandria? I know Laura was on this sailing

https://www.seanews.com.tr/royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-damaged-in-rough-seas-dozens-injured/45093/

Oh, that was my "normal" post before The List.  But thank you for finding that and giving me the pleasure of reliving part of that cruise.  Here's the first part - 

I wasn't on the Brilliance cruise, but Laura and (other) Carol were, and got VERY thrown about.  Carol was pretty badly hurt, as I recall.

• Like 1

We were on the Freedom in October, 2011, when the ship ran into a freak storm with winds over 100mph just offshore Port Canaveral and listed 19 degrees,   We were the only ship to leave Port that afternoon, as the Pilot radioed Disney and Carnival and told them both to stay in Port.  I can’t even explain the chaos but most of the liquor bottles and dishes on the ship broke, and most cabins had to get new carpet during our sailing.

We were in a midship Balcony on Deck 9 and it rained sideways so hard, the water just pushed right through our sliding doors.  The carpet was squishy soaked and was finally replaced halfway through the cruise.

The event occurred in the middle of the first dinner seating and everyone was ordered to their cabins.  Around 9:30, crew came around to make sure everyone was OK, and around 10PM, there was an announcement Letting everyone know pizza was available on the Promenade.

I can’t imagine being on the bridge during that event, but we were lucky enough to sit with Capt. Rob at breakfast the next morning and hear about it first hand.  There are lots of videos on YouTube.  I learned that your life jacket is you friend as there is no way you will be able to get into a lifeboat in that kind of weather.

We were also on the Jewel heading through the Fjords in the Faroe Islands when the ship hit the power lines and pulled down the signal mast, but that is another story! 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

I can’t imagine being on the bridge during that event, but we were lucky enough to sit with Capt. Rob at breakfast the next morning and hear about it first hand.  There are lots of videos on YouTube.  I learned that your life jacket is you friend as there is no way you will be able to get into a lifeboat in that kind of weather.

I hate to disagree with another professional mariner, but lifeboat davits are designed to be usable with heeling/rolling angles of 20*.  Tricing pendants and crew standing as aids across the deck would allow boarding, and then launching the lee boats, followed by turning the ship to present a lee for the boats on the other side.  Would it be uncomfortable, and hazardous?  Yes.  Would it be impossible?  No.

And, unless the ship developed a leak (and not from leaking balcony doors) and started to flood, the ship can roll almost on her beam ends (nearly 45*, or until the promenade deck goes underwater) and still roll back up.  One only needs to read the account of the SS Badger State to learn the dangers of getting into a lifeboat from a ship that is not sinking in a storm, and how even a damaged ship without power or propulsion can survive a storm.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

We were also on the Jewel heading through the Fjords in the Faroe Islands when the ship hit the power lines and pulled down the signal mast, but that is another story! 

My Mom was also on that sailing with a friend of hers.  They were actually out on the pool deck when it happened.  They were lucky no one got killed.  She told us all about the Captain speaking to everyone later in the cruise about the accident and how it was his first incident in a long career and how upset he was.  The ship had been under those lines in the weeks prior but a storm had caused them to hang lower.