CC year over year price hikes

tonyinoc

in about a week i was supposed to sail on the APEX from Rome about 11 day cruise hitting Turkey, Greece, Malta and ending in Barcelona 

the price i got with all 4 perks for an Aquaclass cabin was $7,800

i got my $900 FFC and was looking at a cruise that is almost the same on the Edge 11 days leaving Rome, Turkey, Greece but this one ends in Rome. 

the price is almost $10,800 ($2,000 more) in fact a non Aquaclass cabin is $9700 such a big difference 

is this common or is it because they gave 150 percent cruise credit and there fore jacked up the prices ?

Just wait until a couple years from now when things (hopefully!!!) are back to 'normal'.  Analysts are already predicting airline prices in 2022 to be 20-30% higher to make up for lost revenue.  Sad part is once they go up (like they did when the price of oil was sky high) they rarely go down again (like they didn't after the price of oil dropped 😒)  I have to guess the cruise lines will do the same.  Good-bye sky suite; hello balcony.  But believe me, that balcony sounds really sweet to me about now!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tonyinoc said:

in about a week i was supposed to sail on the APEX from Rome about 11 day cruise hitting Turkey, Greece, Malta and ending in Barcelona 

i got my $900 FFC and was looking at a cruise that is almost the same on the Edge 11 days leaving Rome, Turkey, Greece but this one ends in Rome. 

the price is almost $10,800 ($2,000 more) in fact a non Aquaclass cabin is $9700 such a big difference 

is this common or is it because they gave 150 percent cruise credit and there fore jacked up the prices ?

Can't you lift and shift?

10 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

I think once you get a FCC you cannot L&S.  

Not necessarily true.

From the FAQs

If I have a Future Cruise Credit of 125% issued from a suspended sailing, can reschedule the same cruise at the same price with the same promo for the next year?

Yes, but you will forfeit 25% of the 125% Future Cruise Credit. The deadline to elect this option (“Lift & Shift”) is August 1, 2020.

However you may be denied due to the conditions in the FAQ for suspended sailings due to your sailing date:

Guests booked on sailings suspended between June 12 and July 31, 2020 have until June 10th to reschedule their voyage for the following year at the original price and promotion.

In any event I would try.  The first thing to do would be put your information in the tool and see if it gives you any options. 

https://cancellation.celebritycruises.com/?brand=C

Even if that doesn't show anything it would be worth a  call to your travel provider to try L&S.  The FAQ's to quote from are located at:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert/frequently-asked-questions

It’s not always the case, our 14 night Asia cruise was cheaper than our 11 night Caribbean cruise last year, which was cheaper than our 12 night Caribbean cruise two years before that. I think we paid £2200 for an inside cabin including flights with obviously no perks in 1999 On a Thomson cruise which was a Russian built ship from the 1960s. I’m pretty sure with inflation that’s more expensive than we pay now for what was a far  inferior product. There are still deals to be had if you watch out for them.

Edited by yorky

I was supposed to be on the same 11 night Apex cruise to Turkey, Greece and Malta.  I paid $7,200 for an Aquaclass cabin with 4 perks plus an extra $400.00 on-board credit from Celebrity.  I did a Lift & Shift to the 11 night Edge cruise next year that has almost the same ports and Celebrity let me keep the original price I paid on the 11 night Apex cruise.  They also let me keep all 4 perks plus the extra $400.00 on-board credit.  The prices on Aquaclass cabins now with 4 perks on the 11 night Edge cruise are almost $11,000.00. And this price does not include the extra $400.00 on-board credit Celebrity gave me.  That is a huge increase.  Thank you Celebrity for allowing me to Lift and Shift.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, tonyinoc said:

The most obvious question for me would be pretty simple:  Who would pay these kinds of prices?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Why would you think the prices would be the same?  The cost of everything rises year to year. 

Yes, but generally in the realm of what is considered "inflation", typically 2-3% a year. That would be a $200 increase as opposed to the OPs $2,000 increase...

53 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

The most obvious question for me would be pretty simple:  Who would pay these kinds of prices?

Time will tell, if not enough are willing prices will drop, back to the old “Supply and demand”. Plenty of people were willing to pay the inflated prices for E class early on, not so much now and they started to drop.

Actually inflation has been much greater for food in the U.S. since the pandemic.    General food prices are 45% higher than last year.    I am sure Celebrity will have to pay the higher prices for provisions.    This inflation along with a limit to the number of passengers will certainly cause cruise prices to rise.    I am glad we have already booked 2021 cruises at the pre pandemic prices.

• Thanks 1

We found a couple years ago that X prices cruises based on a supply and demand strategy. For us we have found the best time to book a cruise is when their new itineraries get posted in the November timeframe and the worst time is about a year out, especially if it's a popular itinerary.

There are still decent deals all depending on time and ship , we booked the Edge sky suite with 4 perks and insurance for under 3k per person total for April 7 day cruise . Booked this last week Caribbean cruise.

13 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Not necessarily true.

From the FAQs

If I have a Future Cruise Credit of 125% issued from a suspended sailing, can reschedule the same cruise at the same price with the same promo for the next year?

Yes, but you will forfeit 25% of the 125% Future Cruise Credit. The deadline to elect this option (“Lift & Shift”) is August 1, 2020.

You can cancel a FCC to get a refund.  This is different from cancelling a FCC then trying to L&S.  

13 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Yes, but generally in the realm of what is considered "inflation", typically 2-3% a year. That would be a $200 increase as opposed to the OPs $2,000 increase...

Cruise prices vary so often  that it's hard to say why there is an increase.  An increase could be inflation or simply supply and demand.  I don't see the logic of  prices in 2021 should be the same as they were in 2020.   

5 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Cruise prices vary so often  that it's hard to say why there is an increase.  An increase could be inflation or simply supply and demand.  I don't see the logic of  prices in 2021 should be the same as they were in 2020.   

the OP isn’t comparing a 7 day med cruise in July to a 9 day Caribbean cruise over Christmas. If you are looking at a very similar itinerary at a Very similar time of year from one year to the next, there will be some variance but a 40% increase is overboard. Since many people have reported large increase from this year to next year it suggests that there is more going on than normal price variance.

12 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Actually inflation has been much greater for food in the U.S. since the pandemic.    General food prices are 45% higher than last year.    I am sure Celebrity will have to pay the higher prices for provisions.    This inflation along with a limit to the number of passengers will certainly cause cruise prices to rise.    I am glad we have already booked 2021 cruises at the pre pandemic prices.

where are food prices 45% higher?? My grocery bill certainly hasn’t increased by that much when I shop. Restaurants who have to source food haven’t raised prices substantially enough to account for such a high increased cost, 

From my perspective, a significant price increase is of course to be expected given so many people took the FCC. 

Get your cash and run.

When the cruise lines prove to people they have a sustainable, consistent product, then consider.

Folks remember, the cruise lines were all busy downgrading their product before the virus - what makes you think this will not re-commence upon restart - especially given their financial pressures?

I like cruising but I will not be scammed, taken advantage of.

45 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

From my perspective, a significant price increase is of course to be expected given so many people took the FCC. 

Get your cash and run.

When the cruise lines prove to people they have a sustainable, consistent product, then consider.

Folks remember, the cruise lines were all busy downgrading their product before the virus - what makes you think this will not re-commence upon restart - especially given their financial pressures?

I like cruising but I will not be scammed, taken advantage of.

I’ve said this before but we still find Celebrity value for money, we do not believe we are being scammed or taken advantage of in any way.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 6:21 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Just wait until a couple years from now when things (hopefully!!!) are back to 'normal'.  Analysts are already predicting airline prices in 2022 to be 20-30% higher to make up for lost revenue.  Sad part is once they go up (like they did when the price of oil was sky high) they rarely go down again (like they didn't after the price of oil dropped 😒)  I have to guess the cruise lines will do the same.  Good-bye sky suite; hello balcony.  But believe me, that balcony sounds really sweet to me about now!

Cabin prices a year out on cruises mean little.  They move up and down d spending on demand.  If people cancel before final payment prices will drop.

For example we have one cruise we hope to take in August of 2021 and 6 others booked with little or no $$ tied up as placeholders.  The prices of those are 3 cheaper now and the others about the same.

Ultimately desirable cruises will be higher and places like Caribbean relatively cheap as many options.

What will be interesting is to see what pricing looks like at final payment dates AFTER cruising resumes.

17 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Not sure about 45% but-----Our grocery prices particularly for certain "pandemic items" in short supply (toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, cleaners, soaps of all kinds, etc.) went up and stayed up.  They are still mostly in very low supply in our stores.  All meats are considerably higher too.  Virus issues at packing facilities.  But gasoline prices and heating fuel prices came down.  Takeout food prices went up considerably.  All of this is just supply and demand in the pandemic world I guess.  So Celebrity might pay more for provisions and essentials, but that would be offset by lower fuel costs which is a huge savings to them.