Will You Be Splurging?

MsTabbyKats

We had a land vaca to Iceland for Sept 2020 we cancelled so booked a CCL for that week hoping it would go.... cancelled, now CCL  rebooked for Sept21. I decided after that to change our NCL Panama cruise booked for Feb 2021to Iceland/Greenland July 2022.  Our splurge.... both are spa balconies. I too, hate 2020! My DH wants a refund on 2020!!!!

• Like 1

If (when) my October cruise is cancelled I will take the refund. I am afraid to move the money to our 2021 cruise in case that is cancelled.  I believe if we move (FCC) the money and that cruise is cancelled we are not allowed to get a refund.  I will need my funds back so I can plan something else for DS's graduation trip.  I would love the OBC but it's not worth the possibility of tying up thousands of dollars.

We originally planned a extended family reunion this year on a 7 day cruise. Sadly this virus not only took that cruise away , but also several family members ( NY and NJ) including the cousin who started the idea .

One thing this has taught me is how ones plans really mean squat when it comes to life. They can turn on a moments notice with no control. 

My splurge , nothing to with  cruising, but as soon as it’s safe , I’m renting  a large home on the amalfi ( our favorite place in Europe) for a month , a 32 ft sea ray and any family who wants to visit is welcome with food , a room and the good life included .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drsel said:

That's a very good attitude!
always live rich don't die rich.
so many have died because of the virus.
they didn't even get a chance to enjoy life to the hilt

"Retire rich and die poor".

I had breast cancer about 5 years ago.  Before that DH and I were frugal (book an inside...it goes the same place as a balcony kind of stuff).  After the dx but before the operation I booked an NCL mini-suite and told DH that from now on we will be living as well as our income allows.

If you read one of my earlier posts on this thread I said I want to buy DH a Rolex on the Sept 2021 cruise.  I figure by not going on 4 cruises I "didn't spend" about $10K.  He spends hours talking to the Rolex salespeople on each cruise (we live in NYC...he spends time at the Rolex stores here too) .  I see no need for a Rolex but  that splurge will show him just how much I appreciate him!

• Like 5

I said in an earlier post splurging is anything out of the norm.  "Other ways" are in the norm!!!
Very good answer, but please take him with you so that he can choose the one he likes the best, just like he chose you!

On 7/24/2020 at 10:13 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

My June 2020 cruise: Canceled

My Oct 2020 cruise: Canceled 

My Early Winter 2021 cruise: not booked because it will probably be canceled

My Late Spring 2021 cruise: not booked because it may be canceled

My Fall 2021 cruise: booked and hopefully "a go"

So with at least 2 (and probably 4) cruises not taken, I've "not spent" a lot of money.  I plan on indulging myself if the Fall cruise actually happens.

Anyone else have such plans?

I was thinking of either a expensive cruise partial Panama which to me is expensive or a spa cabin on the dream

50 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

"Retire rich and die poor".

I had breast cancer about 5 years ago.  Before that DH and I were frugal (book an inside...it goes the same place as a balcony kind of stuff).  After the dx but before the operation I booked an NCL mini-suite and told DH that from now on we will be living as well as our income allows.

If you read one of my earlier posts on this thread I said I want to buy DH a Rolex on the Sept 2021 cruise.  I figure by not going on 4 cruises I "didn't spend" about $10K.  He spends hours talking to the Rolex salespeople on each cruise (we live in NYC...he spends time at the Rolex stores here too) .  I see no need for a Rolex but  that splurge will show him just how much I appreciate him!

I want to replace my citizen eco drive watch if I ever get to cruise. It's the one charged up by the sun. Either it's all this self quarantine time and not enough time outside or the battery is dying and it starts to run slow and I have to sit it in the backyard to run right.

But I'm also planning on a watch. I love  my watch, maybe they can just replace the battery onboard. I bought it on a cruise. It's very thin and light. My favourite watch ever.

Good for you OP!  The term “YOLO” definitely comes to mind these days, especially now that people have essentially lost 4+ months of their lives subsisting instead of actually living. 
You only live once is correct with hundreds of thousands of people dying due to coronavirus

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I want to replace my citizen eco drive watch if I ever get to cruise. It's the one charged up by the sun. Either it's all this self quarantine time and not enough time outside or the battery is dying and it starts to run slow and I have to sit it in the backyard to run right.

But I'm also planning on a watch. I love  my watch, maybe they can just replace the battery onboard. I bought it on a cruise. It's very thin and light. My favourite watch ever.

I have 2 of them.  I just leave them on the dresser and they seem ok.  I had one "off to the side" and it stopped.  When I put it on the dresser it resurrected.  You have to treat "eco drives" like plants.  They need sunlight to thrive...lol!

On 7/24/2020 at 8:13 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

My June 2020 cruise: Canceled

My Oct 2020 cruise: Canceled 

My Early Winter 2021 cruise: not booked because it will probably be canceled

My Late Spring 2021 cruise: not booked because it may be canceled

My Fall 2021 cruise: booked and hopefully "a go"

So with at least 2 (and probably 4) cruises not taken, I've "not spent" a lot of money.  I plan on indulging myself if the Fall cruise actually happens.

Anyone else have such plans?

There was/is a report that activity on travel CC are spiking though actually total outlays are now back down.  The explanation / spin is that people are dreaming of that big vacation and now trying to build up points to spend on those big vacations in the future!

On 7/24/2020 at 6:00 PM, N7786W Flyer said:

I've had 14 cruises cancelled so far (!).  They got four in one fell swoop yesterday.  On each of the cancelled cruises, I've elected to take the FCC and OBC, so my wife and I have a LOT of OBC on multiple future cruises.

Have they let you apply more than one $600 OBC offer to a single cruise? Just curious because at some point, I’m going to run out of cruises to apply the OBC to. 

13 minutes ago, Cruising_Addict said:

Have they let you apply more than one $600 OBC offer to a single cruise? Just curious because at some point, I’m going to run out of cruises to apply the OBC to. 

Afraid not...only one $300/$600 OBC can be applied to a future cruise.  However, you can combine the $300/$600 with other OBC, such as shareholder's benefits or other OBC generated due to price drops.

Partially as a result of all the cancellations, we now have 16 cruises scheduled between now and October 2022.

Garnett

• Thanks 1

We started cruising in 2014 but we've only done the western and eastern itineraries. Had our southern itinerary canceled.  I'd like to schedule a Panama Canal cruise next which would be a splurge for us. As I was price checking to get a feel for what to expect, it's about 1k more than what we usually pay. We normally do b2b so overall that will be pricey but that's ok. Too many people are waiting to retire before they start "living life". Too many have health issues or have died shortly after retirement. I want us to enjoy life while we can! 

• Like 2

Yes.  I booked a 10 day Alaska cruise, balcony stateroom for September 2021.  I’m trying to be hopeful.  I’m such a beach bum that all my family and friends had a heart attack when I told them about going to Alaska!  This will be my first NON-beach cruise.  They are all worried for me they think the culture shock will kill me!! 

• Haha 1

We rarely splurge on a cruise. Don't buy trinkets or T-shirts or souvenirs. Rarely get cheers. Mostly book cheap inside cabins as we prefer to be out and about. BUT.... Does booking a few extra cruises count as a splurge? If so then YES we will splurge as soon as it is safe to do so! Maybe even a B2B. We had that on our bucket list, was booked and got cancelled when the Cuba ban went down.