Covid on Alaska cruise

bouhunter

19 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

This is really disappointing.  Thanks for posting the ADN article.  Too bad the US has not been able to offer people who have been tested for covid19  a reasonable test result within 24 hours.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oaktreerb said:

This is really disappointing.  Thanks for posting the ADN article.  Too bad the US has not been able to offer people who have been tested for covid19  a reasonable test result within 24 hours.  

I posted this on the RCL boards and someone said well maybe it's a "false positive test".

Even if it was, that's no better news for cruising if a false positive cancels the cruise and puts everyone in quarantine.....

57 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

I was just reading about a company that is going to market a covid 'spit' test kit that can give results in less than 30 minutes.  They claim that accuracy of the results are extremely high, efficient and administering is painless.  The test kit is currently under review by the FDA.  The company claims the kits can be used for airline passengers, concert/sporting events etc.  Hopefully this is not just a scam. 

This is nothing less than devastating news for the cruise industry!

Until an on-the-spot test for the virus with results that can be counted on as being accurate is developed, the cruise industry is in "deep doo-doo" as President George Herbert Walker Bush once said.  And the "doo-doo" is getting deeper!

• Like 1

I wonder what "lucky" hotel in Juneau gets to quarantine the guests of the Wilderness Adventurer?  On second thought, given how poor of a tourist season Alaska has had this year, the hotel may be thankful for the revenue that someone has to pay.  And, who would be that payer?  The cruise company?  

1 hour ago, Paulinda said:

I was just reading about a company that is going to market a covid 'spit' test kit that can give results in less than 30 minutes.  They claim that accuracy of the results are extremely high, efficient and administering is painless.  The test kit is currently under review by the FDA.  The company claims the kits can be used for airline passengers, concert/sporting events etc.  Hopefully this is not just a scam. 

My mail carrier just told me about this test. Her organization is watching this carefully, they have had some problems with the nasal swab tests - false negatives and/or waiting 2 weeks for results.  Let’s hope it is cleared & does not cost a small fortune.

Edited by cat shepard

27 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Article doesn't make any sense, he was negative coming on board and 3 days later without stops, was positive? So someone else had it...

If accurate probably means he was still catching it or picked it up on a plane flight to Alaska.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Article doesn't make any sense, he was negative coming on board and 3 days later without stops, was positive? So someone else had it...

He had a negative test (but it doesn't say when) prior to arriving in Alaska. He had another test at the airport, but boarded before results were known. Those results took 3 days to come back. Could have gotten it anywhere between that first test and arrival.

Edited by JazzyV

A negative test three or five days before a trip does not really mean much.  The person may have already been exposed, but not yet positive, or may be exposed after the test.  The person may have been out and about a lot  before the trip getting ready for the trip.  Even if the person did not do much between the day of the test and the day of departure, they could easily be exposed getting to/from the airport, at the airport, or on the flight.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

A negative test three or five days before a trip does not really mean much.  The person may have already been exposed, but not yet positive, or may be exposed after the test.  The person may have been out and about a lot  before the trip getting ready for the trip.  Even if the person did not do much between the day of the test and the day of departure, they could easily be exposed getting to/from the airport, at the airport, or on the flight.

Agreed, almost as bad a temperature checks.

5 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

He tested 5 days before getting on the flight.  He then tested when he landed in Alaska, boarded the ship and got word that the test in Alaska was positive. So either his first test was wrong or he contracted COVID between that test and landing in Alaska a 5 day period.

22 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

??  Here in the Seattle area test results are back within 24 hours.  Not where you live?

Here in the San Francisco East Bay my friend waited 3 days after visiting the doctor with symptoms to be able to get the test then 3 days after that to get the results....she was positive.  I believe it's improving now for speed, but really, we need a same day turn around to really be the most useful.....especially for schools, travel, events, etc.

15 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Here in the San Francisco East Bay my friend waited 3 days after visiting the doctor with symptoms to be able to get the test then 3 days after that to get the results....she was positive.  I believe it's improving now for speed, but really, we need a same day turn around to really be the most useful.....especially for schools, travel, events, etc.

I totally agree.  I'm very glad that here we have drive-thru testing and results back well before 24 hours.  No doctor's appt. necessary. 

I hope your friend is doing ok.

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, npcl said:

He tested 5 days before getting on the flight.  He then tested when he landed in Alaska, boarded the ship and got word that the test in Alaska was positive. So either his first test was wrong or he contracted COVID between that test and landing in Alaska a 5 day period.

Sure about that?

6 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

Exactly right!  The only way to be sure is a long, strict quarantine and sterile trip to the ship.  That won't happen!  We can't win.  What about hotels, airports, restaurants, etc. ?  Why aren't they catching flak?????  Also, the person gets off the ship at a port stop and gets sick.  No way to win.

Edited by Cruizer Bill

16 hours ago, bouhunter said:

I posted this on the RCL boards and someone said well maybe it's a "false positive test".

Even if it was, that's no better news for cruising if a false positive cancels the cruise and puts everyone in quarantine.....

I have the same question about what would happen with a false positive. I'm sure it would be treated as a real positive with the results being like the Alaska cruise in this thread. And they do happen; here is an example:

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/matthew-stafford-is-activated-off-of-reserve-list

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

Here in Middle TN, unless you present with serious symptoms (gasping for breath, nonstop dry cough, 105 degree temp, etc.), it takes 7-11 days to get results.  A lot can happen during that time period.