Cancel or Be Cancelled

Luckiestmanonearth

If you don't have a large deposit, if you used an FCD, then I don't believe there is any downside in waiting until just before final payment. If you do have a large deposit then probably the sooner you cancel the sooner your refund will join the list.

• Like 1

We are on the January 9, 2021 Enchanted sailing.  We plan to cancel, but I am waiting to see if Princess cancels it.  Our deposit is only $200.  Obviously, if we get close to final payment and Princess hasn’t canceled the cruise, we will call and cancel.  

I cancelled a Christmas cruise before it was cancelled. I didn't want any double your refund or anything. I figure if I waited until they cancelled, it would take months to get my refund and shore excursion money. This way, it only took about 10 days. If I waited for another pause, it would be grouped with a bunch of other cancellations and would have taken forever.

• Like 1

We are booked on the Sky Princess for Feb. 28th using Future Cruise Deposits ($200.00 total). Final payment is not due till Dec. 28th, so we will wait till then to make a decision. I'm hoping Princess will cancel so we will receive double credit on our FCD's. We would very much like to go on this cruise, but don't see it happening with the virus spreading in Florida. I expect the cruise port in Ft. Lauderdale to be closed this winter.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Edited by Kenosha Cruiser

I cancelled my 26 day cruise for this month, right before final, knowing it wasn't going to sail and did not want to wait for Princess.  Sailing single is pricey for long cruises and I'm glad I didn't pay it.  I received $400. for 4 cruise deposits in a matter of weeks.  I was mentally prepared to kiss the $400. goodbye actually.

I will do the same for my Sept./Oct. 2021 cruises if I'm not comfortable with the way things are going.  I'm not on a tight budget by any means but I don't want that kind of money floating around with Princess.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

We are booked on the Sky Princess for Feb. 28th using Future Cruise Deposits ($200.00 total). Final payment is not due till Dec. 28th, so we will wait till then to make a decision. I'm hoping Princess will cancel so we will receive double credit on our FCD's. We would very much like to go on this cruise, but don't see it happening with the virus spreading in Florida. I expect the cruise port in Ft. Lauderdale to be closed this winter.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

why not pay a little more toward the balance and double that also 🍻

4 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

We’re on a 2020 New Years cruise on the Sky and wanting to bail.  Princess has already cancelled sailings through mid December.

Wondering if we should cancel soon or await the possibility that Princess will cancel it.  Final payment due in Sept

Any suggestions ?

You want out, right?

The upside tp waiting for Princess to maybe cancel is what?

4 hours ago, skynight said:

If you don't have a large deposit, if you used an FCD, then I don't believe there is any downside in waiting until just before final payment. If you do have a large deposit then probably the sooner you cancel the sooner your refund will join the list.

My deposit for 2 of us was $300 and about 2/3rd’s of that was for insurance which we really didn’t want and would likely have cancelled later.

Not a big amount and was expecting to kiss it goodbye as worst case but likely we’ll wait as long as possible to see if Princess cancels first.

The shame is also that we used a lot of Chase points to book our flight to FLL which I have no idea if there is a way to get those back

4 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

We were on the Jan. 16 Enchanted; we chose to cancel first because we wanted to ensure the FCDs (used for deposit) would go back into our account.  Took all of two nanoseconds, unlike our Alaska cancellation earlier this year. 

So, this is good to know. We are still waiting for our deposit refund from a cruise that was cancelled on May 7th.

Antmaril- we are also on that booking. I would rather cancel soon and get our money back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I cancelled a Christmas cruise before it was cancelled. I didn't want any double your deposit or anything. I figure if I waited until they cancelled, it would take months to get my refund and shore excursion money. This way, it only took about 10 days. If I waited for another pause, it would be grouped with a bunch of other cancellations and would have taken forever.

I meant double your deposit.

On 8/8/2020 at 11:39 PM, caribill said:

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

Wow, this is a great idea. Maybe if you all pay a bit more we can get our $7000 back from a cruise Princess Canceled on March 19th. I would love to have you pay more so we can get our refund. Sorry, but we are just getting a bit testy about the hold up on the money Princess is not returning. Think we have waited very patiently but hardly waiting to pay for the next cruise until and unless we see this money. It has been approved for MANY months, just not returned. Oh Well......

45 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

My deposit for 2 of us was $300 and about 2/3rd’s of that was for insurance which we really didn’t want and would likely have cancelled later.

Not a big amount and was expecting to kiss it goodbye as worst case but likely we’ll wait as long as possible to see if Princess cancels first.

The shame is also that we used a lot of Chase points to book our flight to FLL which I have no idea if there is a way to get those back

Not sure about points. We use our Chase Sapphire card to convert to miles. Is that what you did? In that case, it should be easy to redeposit them in your frequent flyer account - for a fee, of course.

6 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

We’re on a 2020 New Years cruise on the Sky and wanting to bail.  Princess has already cancelled sailings through mid December.

Wondering if we should cancel soon or await the possibility that Princess will cancel it.  Final payment due in Sept

Any suggestions ?

Wasn't your final payment date changed to 60 days before the cruise?

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

A Future Cruise Deposit is more than enough to give Princess in these uncertain times. For now I'm holding onto my money till I know when cruising will resume. Our cancelled cruise on the Ruby Princess for September and the future cruise deposits we had down on it was credited back to our Princess account with the double cruise credit in about six weeks.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

5 hours ago, Tak8 said:

If you want to cruise again, I'd be all in on double the deposit.  

I agree.  I'll go with the option that gets me the most.  I consider all the money I pay on cruises as future cruise money, anyway.  Why not double it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Babr said:

Not sure about points. We use our Chase Sapphire card to convert to miles. Is that what you did? In that case, it should be easy to redeposit them in your frequent flyer account - for a fee, of course.

Also, Chase will work with the airline to facilitate the process/refund/credit if the flight(s) were booked prior to 8/31/20.

I can see future mass cancelations returning to what my 1st cancelation got: goodwill OBC on the next cruise (itinerary canceled). Pause 1 was a short notice event (2 weeks before my Grand Princess cruise) and it got the most, Pause 2 & 3 had plenty of notification and comp was significantly less and less each time. It will look like something enticing people to choose FCC but it will be better for their bottom line no matter what line you're on. It's just business 

Edited by Ombud

SO, we are looking into booking our 3rd cruise on Carnival during the pandemic.  The first canceled cruise was a 7-day Caribbean and we were offered a $600 on board credit. We then booked a 5-day going to Cabo (I am not thrilled to cruise but my husband is going crazy).  It was canceled.  We are re-booking a 7-day cruise and only have $300 on-board credit so we essentially lost $300 in credit. I feel like canceling and going on different line.  Anyone have this problem?  Am I on the wrong board? 

9 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Any suggestions ?

I would hang in there until right before you have to make final payment.  
If you cancel now,  will you get your deposit back (is it refundable?)  If you didn't put much down and don't mind losing it, cancel whenever.  I have read that if you wait until Princess cancels you would get a double deposit back.  If that's something you would prefer, then wait.  It's just up to you.

9 hours ago, antmaril said:

We are on the January 9, 2021 Enchanted sailing.  We plan to cancel, but I am waiting to see if Princess cancels it.  Our deposit is only $200.  Obviously, if we get close to final payment and Princess hasn’t canceled the cruise, we will call and cancel.  

I thought the Enchanted sailing were cancelled already?

5 hours ago, pms4104 said:

You want out, right?

The upside tp waiting for Princess to maybe cancel is what?

Double the deposit back.  Depending on how much the OP put down for deposit can make it worth it to wait.

23 minutes ago, Sea-Bos said:

SO, we are looking into booking our 3rd cruise on Carnival during the pandemic.  The first canceled cruise was a 7-day Caribbean and we were offered a $600 on board credit. We then booked a 5-day going to Cabo (I am not thrilled to cruise but my husband is going crazy).  It was canceled.  We are re-booking a 7-day cruise and only have $300 on-board credit so we essentially lost $300 in credit. I feel like canceling and going on different line.  Anyone have this problem?  Am I on the wrong board? 

This is Princess and each line has different comps going. I only got FCC on each cancelation  (4) and that v transfers from cruise to cruise.