Cruise line execs call for return to service in United States

jimbo5544

40 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

They do that in the stores now so I can see this happening on the ship as well.  I see so many people walking around with their mask covering their mouth and not their nose.  The crew always does their best not to upset the guests so they may tend to look the other way for someone not wearing their mask.

At least they are covering their mouths. i see many who just cover their chins!

I wonder what the instructions will be to the crew as to what to do with those either not wearing masks or not wearing them properly.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

At least they are covering their mouths. i see many who just cover their chins!

I wonder what the instructions will be to the crew as to what to do with those either not wearing masks or not wearing them properly.

It’ll probably be dealt with in a similar manner to everything else Carnival enforces: inconsistently. 

1 hour ago, Crazy planning mom said:

So, do you think the CDC will extend the no sail order until a vaccine is rolled out?

I personally think they will continue it until the cruise lines meet their requirements, whether there is a vaccine or not, since the time frame for testing the vaccine is so short, there will be a limited data set.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

And that is what I would expect as well.

I would expect masks required at Shows, Comedy Club, when walking through MDR to be seated, all internal thoroughfares (e.g. entire Promenade deck), and any time/place the crowd can get "dense", even on Lido.  Exceptions when eating/drinking.  Which might except the entire Lido, of course...

I agree but I can also see it now, the folks that are opposed to masks, getting up from eating and instead of putting them on, just kind of keep walking, maybe holding it in their hands like they are getting ready to put it on and just keep walking without doing so. 

I can also see confrontations taking place just as they do on land.

• Like 3

Frank Del Rio's comments are in the article linked below.  He sounds very passionate and resolute.  Don't know how this will play with the powers-that-be though...

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23493-norwegian-cruise-ceo-it-will-be-safe-to-cruise-from-america.html

“The cruise industry is close to devastation. The market capitalization of the three public companies has dropped by nearly $50 billion,” said Frank Del Rio, CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, speaking during a meeting of the Miami-Dade County Tourism and the Ports Committee on Thursday morning.

“We’ve had to raise $20 billion. These were investment grade companies whose balance sheets have been greatly diminished. We should not take for granted because we’re here today we’ll always be here; we have to get back to work.

“All we are asking for is the opportunity to demonstrate that we take this very, very seriously. Health and safety are buzz words we hear every day but that has been the backbone of our industry forever.”

“Enough is enough,” Del Rio continued. “It’s been more than six months. We as an industry, we as  society, have learned a lot on how to live alongside COVID.”

Del Rio said the company’s Healthy Sail Panel in collaboration with Royal Caribbean Group was a week to 10 days away from submitting its plan.

“It will be safe to cruise from America,” he noted.

“We are effecting the 1,000s of employees and their families and their children,” Del Rio continued. “Yet we see airlines flying. I want someone to tell me how it’s possible how COVID-19 transmission doesn’t occur on airplanes when you’re sitting four inches away from someone in a middle seat, yet it happens on a ship that is nearly 200,000 tons. It is unconscionable what’s happened to the cruise industry. We’ve been quiet for too long.”

Del Rio said being more vocal would educate government officials who may not understand the depth of what the industry is going through.

“We are confident of our protocols. We are confident we can operate safely in this COVID-19 world,” Del Rio added.

Edited by N7786W Flyer
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I agree but I can also see it now, the folks that are opposed to masks, getting up from eating and instead of putting them on, just kind of keep walking, maybe holding it in their hands like they are getting ready to put it on and just keep walking without doing so. 

I can also see confrontations taking place just as they do on land.

That's because some people are selfish and immature. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, N7786W Flyer said:

Frank Del Rio's comments are in the article linked below.  He sounds very passionate and resolute.  Don't know how this will play with the powers-that-be though...

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23493-norwegian-cruise-ceo-it-will-be-safe-to-cruise-from-america.html

“The cruise industry is close to devastation. The market capitalization of the three public companies has dropped by nearly $50 billion,” said Frank Del Rio, CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, speaking during a meeting of the Miami-Dade County Tourism and the Ports Committee on Thursday morning.

“We’ve had to raise $20 billion. These were investment grade companies whose balance sheets have been greatly diminished. We should not take for granted because we’re here today we’ll always be here; we have to get back to work.

“All we are asking for is the opportunity to demonstrate that we take this very, very seriously. Health and safety are buzz words we hear every day but that has been the backbone of our industry forever.”

“Enough is enough,” Del Rio continued. “It’s been more than six months. We as an industry, we as  society, have learned a lot on how to live alongside COVID.”

Del Rio said the company’s Healthy Sail Panel in collaboration with Royal Caribbean Group was a week to 10 days away from submitting its plan.

“It will be safe to cruise from America,” he noted.

“We are effecting the 1,000s of employees and their families and their children,” Del Rio continued. “Yet we see airlines flying. I want someone to tell me how it’s possible how COVID-19 transmission doesn’t occur on airplanes when you’re sitting four inches away from someone in a middle seat, yet it happens on a ship that is nearly 200,000 tons. It is unconscionable what’s happened to the cruise industry. We’ve been quiet for too long.”

Del Rio said being more vocal would educate government officials who may not understand the depth of what the industry is going through.

“We are confident of our protocols. We are confident we can operate safely in this COVID-19 world,” Del Rio added.

"A week to 10 days from submitting it's plan". What have they been doing for the previous 6 months and the extension of the CDC's No Sail Order.

Back's against the wall so NOW they come out swinging.

It just doesn't add up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

@wareaglefan444 just a FYI, cruise ships aren’t free countries. You have no rights.

PS: just because the US is a ‘free country’ it does not mean you can skip wearing a mask when required by law or local policy with enforcement.

Cruise ships are subject to some US laws, particularly when in US waters, but as far as "rights" the Constitution is mostly NA on private property like a cruise ship. It was sort of a trick answer.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Cruise ships are subject to some US laws, particularly when in US waters, but as far as "rights" the Constitution is mostly NA on private property like a cruise ship. It was sort of a trick answer.

Exactly.

I might invite you into my home, but I might insist you wear a balloon hat - my home, my rules.  If you remove the balloon hat, I have the right to eject you - if you don't co-operate I have the right to call the police to have you removed by force.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fyree39 said:

It comes down the cruisers agreeing to follow the protocols. I honestly don't know that Americans are capable.

If rules are enforced, people will follow them.  The problem is that when rules aren't enforced, it emboldens the people who break the rules and lets them know there are no consequences for their actions.  Any time it's a free for all, rules won't work.  They need strict enforcement and it will work.  No tolerance is the way to go with very clear expectations up front.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

If rules are enforced, people will follow them.  The problem is that when rules aren't enforced, it emboldens the people who break the rules and lets them know there are no consequences for their actions.  Any time it's a free for all, rules won't work.  They need strict enforcement and it will work.  No tolerance is the way to go with very clear expectations up front.

I once had a college professor say that the two worst laws ever are speeding laws and alternate side of the street parking laws. The reason he said they were the worst laws was that everyone broke them with little or generally no consequences. And once you got used to breaking a law, breaking the next one became much easier.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 3:04 PM, shof515 said:

I got a bad feeling the CDC will extend the no sail order

I have the opposite feeling. The CDC is supposed to be science driven, but some of their decisions have been closer to politics concerning the cruise industry. The CDC has received quite an earful after asking for comments concerning their no sail order from USA ports. They have recently soft-pedaled the 14 day quarantine advice and taken notice of the reduced hospital loads and tragic death tolls almost nationwide. Concerning the comments received it will be hard for them to ignore from a political perspective the "torches visible outside the Bastille." CLIA has thrown open the locks after 10/31, and the Port operators have switched from Cognac to tap water due to the lack of port fees and are forming a scrum line with industry leaders to force reopening of this segment of the economy if necessary.  

• Like 5

I think cruising will start.  In fact, I would not be surprised if there were a few short, 3 or 4 day, cruises by the end of October. The question is,  where to sail to that will take Americans.  It's getting pretty late to cancel beginning of November cruises.  We keep waiting and looking daily for an October cruise. 

IMHO they will extend no sail order till Mid December or end of the year.  The CDC need to approve the cruiselines' plans to resume cruising again, read all of the public coments feedback and etc before giving go ahead.......  Probably, it won't be finished by November 1st......

6 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Kind of like raising children, eh? 😀

6 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

Kind of like raising children, eh? 😀

I think it will be more like herding cats.

I listened to the maitre d' once announce no baseball caps or wife beater tee shirts, both of which grown men at the next table from mine had on.... neither flinched. Carnival isn't known for enforcing rules. Just the opposite. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I listened to the maitre d' once announce no baseball caps or wife beater tee shirts, both of which grown men at the next table from mine had on.... neither flinched. Carnival isn't known for enforcing rules. Just the opposite. 

OTOH, they can enforce when they choose to - e.g. liquor in luggage. Yes, liquor still makes it on the ship, but Carnival could still ratchet up enforcement.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Not always, I personally have seen Maitre’d and Hostesses ask men to put on long pants or change their shirt on Elegant night. 

10 minutes ago, coevan said:

Not always, I personally have seen Maitre’d and Hostesses ask men to put on long pants or change their shirt on Elegant night. 

On a rcl cruise I saw a maitre d ask a guy to turn his baseball cap around he was wearing backwards. I guess at the time I was told it symbolized a gang member. 

A long time ago in my day you werent supposed to wear a hat to eat in a dining room. I sat at breakfast one morning with a rancher (of of Galveston so a texan) wearing his great cowboy hat, but I thought still, take it off to eat. 

I just have my doubts about carnival enforcing it. As pointed out some liquor is stopped but I'd guess not most of it.