Does anyone like the Infinite Verandas on the Edge?

homedepot124

I was in one of the Infinite Verandas on the Edge on Feb 9th. When you first enter the cabin it does look impressive with the room more open but I would not book one again. I found that the room gets very hot when you have the window open for a short amount of time so you have to close the accordion door to keep it cool in your cabin. Also we have travelled with other friends and have always opened up the balconies between our cabins. This can’t be done with the Infinite Veranda. I’ll stick with the S or M class ships for now.

• Like 1

We had an IV on The Edge, thinking that we would not enjoy it and enjoyed it a great deal.

Yes, there were a few times when we could not open the window, but not a deal breaker for us, just a 'temporary' inconvenience.

Other comments are valid for the posters, and their experience(s) for sure. For us and our group it was enjoyable.

bon voyage

• Like 1

We booked an IV on Edge because the few traditional balcony cabins are not in good positions, and are not fully open. For us the plus point was the effective extra space in the cabin if you keep the internal sliding door open. But it is not like a normal balcony because you cannot really 'sit out' and be separate from the cabin. The only time we found the sliding window locked 'by the bridge' was when they were cleaning windows. Fair enough, I would not want my cabin sprayed from outside.

The main things that probably put me off booking one again (with my engineer head on) are:

1. Issues we heard of from some passengers finding the window would not open, or worse, close reliably. I suspect there may be issues with reliability of the mechanism/motors as they age.

2. It is not possible to 'take a peek' outside through the curtains, because there aren't any. You have to open the motorised blind which is noisy and slow.

Other than that we really liked our IV. The staterooms on Edge are really well designed and bathrooms are a huge improvement in our opinion.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I both liked the room itself very much. It is well designed and had a very nice size bathroom. I enjoyed the lighting controls especially when it was time to go to sleep you hit the button that slowly turns them off giving you enough time to get in bed.

BUT we totally disagreed with the IV situation. My wife loved it and I didn't. Being 6' I kept banging my elbows and arms into the accordion doors and was always moving things around when getting up or sitting down. My wife, on the other hand, is 4'11" and had no issues whatsoever. In fact she thought there was plenty of room although she threw me a bone every once in a while and told me she felt sorry for me as she sat there curled up with her wine and staring out to sea 😄.

We were on a cool weather TA in April so having the window closed or partly open at times was beneficial. Otherwise, the window was locked only a couple times in ports when they were being washed.

Straight up we prefer a traditional balcony to the infinite veranda. However, we really enjoyed the four dining rooms concept, specialty restaurants, Eden and the larger martini bar area on the Edge. So for us, those things make up for what we didn't like about the infinite balcony. We will book both the E class and the S class ships going forward depending on the itinerary.

We had no issues with the window not working or being locked.

We enjoyed it,. Kept the bifolds open and made an inward sitting area.

Made the smaller  cabin more spacious,, it was very quiet, and we  still had nice views,  sort of like a Florida room or small winter garden. We only opened the window  to look out and  take photos... but as a  faux balc  it was not very  useful.

We had no issues with the window being controlled..only done for cleaning and  bad weather,

BUT If you want a sunny outdoor balc, not  a good choice, we enjoyed that style  cabin  in a Sunset Veranda on EDGE...

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Edge last spring and I don't know what all the fuss was about, no big deal, in fact I like the Verandas on all the other Celebrity ships, and the Magic Carpet, forget it. I don't have a clue as to why they made the big deal about it. I tried to book dinner on it before the cruise and was told I had to wait until on the ship. When I tried when I boarded, quite early, it was all booked. It spent most of the time by the pool and was always crowded. The ship is beautiful but as my wife and I are both still smoker, (unfortunately,) we were confined to the back of the ship where the smoke stacks blows the soot. After 5 minutes we were covered in black soot. I know smokers are pariahs but still 18% of the populations. They could have found a better spot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First, let me state that we are not really balcony people.   We've had dozens of veranda cabins and we really spend very little time outside.  Wasted expense for us.  Having said that, the IV on the edge was wonderful.  It gives the cabin so much more room and acts as a very private "glass wall" at the end of the room.  At any time, you can lower the electric shade and have a dark, quiet cabin.  The Edge is different, modern and our new favorite ship.  

People resist change, but we feel like Celebrity hit a home run with this new concept.  My wife and I have spent 7% of our total time together on cruise ships (752 days), so we know what's out there.  

Enjoy!

Kel😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kelmac said:

First, let me state that we are not really balcony people.   We've had dozens of veranda cabins and we really spend very little time outside.  Wasted expense for us.  Having said that, the IV on the edge was wonderful.  It gives the cabin so much more room and acts as a very private "glass wall" at the end of the room.  At any time, you can lower the electric shade and have a dark, quiet cabin.  The Edge is different, modern and our new favorite ship.  

People resist change, but we feel like Celebrity hit a home run with this new concept.  My wife and I have spent 7% of our total time together on cruise ships (752 days), so we know what's out there.  

Enjoy!

Kel😁

We also are not balcony people. And we also loved the infinity balcony concept and the ship as a whole.

We were on it last year this time (what a difference a year makes!) in the Mediterranean and it was so hot, we probably would not have used a real balcony much. We kept the inner door open to extend the room and had a great view!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Nope, it's not for me.  The IV balcony is a nice concept, poorly executed.  Not enough space for a true balcony.

I think the initial mockups for these cabins didn't take into account some of the structural and other physical/mechanical issues that take away from the 'veranda' part of the room. If you notice the Mechanized shade is mounted a several inches INTO the Veranda, and since the tracks for it are on both sides from floor to ceiling you have to account for that when positioning the furniture. Additionally you will notice that the Veranda portion narrows about 5"-6" in width from the rest of the room, so it's not even the full width of the rest of the room. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I think the initial mockups for these cabins didn't take into account some of the structural and other physical/mechanical issues that take away from the 'veranda' part of the room. If you notice the Mechanized shade is mounted a several inches INTO the Veranda, and since the tracks for it are on both sides from floor to ceiling you have to account for that when positioning the furniture. Additionally you will notice that the Veranda portion narrows about 5"-6" in width from the rest of the room, so it's not even the full width of the rest of the room. 

Maybe I could deal with that but it's the depth that really bothers me.  It's barely big enough for those silly low-back chairs.  In addition the lack of a real table to enjoy a meal on the balcony is also a huge negative for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely a step down.  More like an open/close window.  We had complaints about them on our Edge cruise.  Believe the reviews!

Now that we are talking about reviews the Edge reviews are very low when compared to S class.  Not something that one would expect for a shiny new ship.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Definitely a step down.  More like an open/close window.  We had complaints about them on our Edge cruise.  Believe the reviews!

Now that we are talking about reviews the Edge reviews are very low when compared to S class.  Not something that one would expect for a shiny new ship.

Agreed, something very surprising for a new ship.  It appears that Celebrity may have missed the mark with the E-class.  I suspect the IV's are a major factor in these reviews.

• Like 1