Keeping our morale up during the pandemic.

OzKiwiJJ

I have been to two restaurants down here in the  past week, the new Raymonds Chinese and Catalina Golf club, no cooks or waiters or bar staff were wearing masks and no patrons either. In Coles during the week, 3 or 4 customers out of about 50 in the store had masks on, but no staff with masks, not even in the deli where they are handling meats etc.

Edited by NSWP

We are fast approaching 100 days in Stage 4 lockdown here in Melbourne metro area and it's starting to really get to me.  I wasn't in a very good place yesterday, bit of depression creeping in perhaps?  Last night DH suggested that as the weather for Sunday was looking good, why don't we get some steaks out of the freezer and throw them on the barbie for lunch?  So we did.  I made up a salad and parboiled some chat potatoes while he did the steaks.  Then he suggested we should have a glass of wine and pretend we're at the pub for lunch.  Well, what a brilliant idea!

We thoroughly enjoyed our "pub lunch" until reality hit ... we had to clear the table ourselves and do the dishes!  But it was fun to pretend for a little while.

Now I'm thinking - what can I do to pretend I'm on a cruise? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

We are fast approaching 100 days in Stage 4 lockdown here in Melbourne metro area and it's starting to really get to me.  I wasn't in a very good place yesterday, bit of depression creeping in perhaps?  Last night DH suggested that as the weather for Sunday was looking good, why don't we get some steaks out of the freezer and throw them on the barbie for lunch?  So we did.  I made up a salad and parboiled some chat potatoes while he did the steaks.  Then he suggested we should have a glass of wine and pretend we're at the pub for lunch.  Well, what a brilliant idea!

We thoroughly enjoyed our "pub lunch" until reality hit ... we had to clear the table ourselves and do the dishes!  But it was fun to pretend for a little while.

Order a takeaway or home delivery pizza, crack a bottle of shiraz and pretend you are having a sailaway...

safe_image.gif.a1f0d189f2dcddcf654749f20959b890.gif

I have noticed here in Melbourne... particularly with a few warm days.... given up trying to go for a walk...... people everywhere... large groups in the park..... lots without masks.

You would not know there is a pandemic....

Or did I have a very sleep the other night and it's all over ???   lol  

24 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

We have the same problem I have to cook.. then the better half clear the table....

About pretending I'm on a cruise...... very early on.... way way back in march april..

there was a photo going round of a aussie couple in princess bathrobes with glasses of wine  sitting in front of TV with an footage taken from a cruise ship

Cheers Don   and hang in there     Melbourne is a hard gig at the moment

Lots of people out and about around here this week.  I live in an area with a very high Jewish population and we have just come through the Jewish New Year period and yesterday and today are some special days with people gathering and celebrating.  Walking past the Synagogue today there were services in the front area and I could hear lots of celebrations coming from the nearby  orthodox school.  Two weeks ago they held a service in the street totally against regulations.

Fully sympathise with you LC1950, there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel.  We see all the other states getting on with life and yet we are controlled by an incompetent government down here and it is really depressing.  Hopefully some of my grand kids can go back to school this week.  They have been suffering terribly.  Daughter runs her own painting business and they are forbidden to work. 

Time to go for my walk.  At least it is a nice day weather wise down here.

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Lots of people out and about around here this week.  I live in an area with a very high Jewish population and we have just come through the Jewish New Year period and yesterday and today are some special days with people gathering and celebrating.  Walking past the Synagogue today there were services in the front area and I could hear lots of celebrations coming from the nearby  orthodox school.  Two weeks ago they held a service in the street totally against regulations.

Fully sympathise with you LC1950, there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel.  We see all the other states getting on with life and yet we are controlled by an incompetent government down here and it is really depressing.  Hopefully some of my grand kids can go back to school this week.  They have been suffering terribly.  Daughter runs her own painting business and they are forbidden to work. 

Time to go for my walk.  At least it is a nice day weather wise down here.

Brandee from NY posted on here that the Jewish fraternity in NY were disregarding covid rules re gatherings etc.  Not good enough, stern action is required.  Stay safe it is a jungle out there.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

.... About pretending I'm on a cruise...... very early on.... way way back in march april..

there was a photo going round of a aussie couple in princess bathrobes with glasses of wine  sitting in front of TV with an footage taken from a cruise ship

Cheers Don   and hang in there     Melbourne is a hard gig at the moment

Thanks Don.  I remember them.  From memory I think their cruise was cancelled way back in the early days but they decided to make the best of it.  I thought it was a brilliant idea.

Well I've had 2 ideas re pretending to cruise ...  

1.  Fully charge the laptop, take it outside and put a DVD on and we can sit in the courtyard, sipping an adult beveridge and pretend we're watching a Movie Under the Stars.

2.  The beach is less than 5 klm from home so masked up we could take a couple of fold up deckchairs with an esky containing liquid refreshments, place the chairs halfway along the jetty and we can sit and sip and watch the sea and pretend we're on the promenade deck.  At least until the "fun police" arrive and stop that one!  🙄

Aaaah, I'm starting to feel better already.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

1.  Fully charge the laptop, take it outside and put a DVD on and we can sit in the courtyard, sipping an adult beveridge and pretend we're watching a Movie Under the Stars.

2.  The beach is less than 5 klm from home so masked up we could take a couple of fold up deckchairs with an esky containing liquid refreshments, place the chairs halfway along the jetty and we can sit and sip and watch the sea and pretend we're on the promenade deck.  At least until the "fun police" arrive and stop that one!  🙄

I like your pretend ideas.

I recently said to a mother to be kind to herself.  She replied strange that I said that as the psychologist had just said the same thing to her daughter. 

I try to have something planned each month, to look forward to, usually travel or theatre.  Neither are readily available at present.  Fortunately the library has reopened.  

The last cruise I cruised on, Noble Caledonian, has been providing interesting cruise related topics written by their cruise director and others to read.  Even recipes!  An excellent initiative to keep their loyal passengers entertained whilst waiting to cruise again.  

Edited by MMDown Under

56 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Just remember to use a towel to keep warm...... and you need sun lounges...lol

Then you are living the life..... 

Enjoy  Don 

stuck in apartment with no balcony   abit like an ocean view....( window suite )  lol

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Just remember to use a towel to keep warm...... and you need sun lounges...lol

Then you are living the life..... 

Enjoy  Don 

stuck in apartment with no balcony   abit like an ocean view....( window suite )  lol

You might need a blanket in Melbourne.

As long as you can open the windows and don't have a pothole.

3 hours ago, LC1950 said:

Thanks Don.  I remember them.  From memory I think their cruise was cancelled way back in the early days but they decided to make the best of it.  I thought it was a brilliant idea.

Better idea, go buy a super big tv, a load of popcorn, a deckchair and you will think you are watching MUTS on Princess. Above all, enjoy!,

990181979_th(1).jpg.e08a2469358ea4d44fa5f4e66887561a.jpg

Edited by NSWP

The beach is about a 20 minute walk from us and the river about 15 minutes but we rarely walk at either as it is too busy with people running and walking in groups. The paths along the river are also busy with cyclists. We tend to walk to the local park or just around our immediate area. We are noticing more and more family groups out walking or cycling too. Most are wearing masks and wearing them correctly. It does annoy me when people don't cover their noses with the mask. You do see them quite often. 

Hopefully next Sunday, we will be given some relief from restrictions.

Leigh

• Like 1

12 hours ago, possum52 said:

The beach is about a 20 minute walk from us and the river about 15 minutes but we rarely walk at either as it is too busy with people running and walking in groups. The paths along the river are also busy with cyclists. We tend to walk to the local park or just around our immediate area. We are noticing more and more family groups out walking or cycling too. Most are wearing masks and wearing them correctly. It does annoy me when people don't cover their noses with the mask. You do see them quite often. 

Hopefully next Sunday, we will be given some relief from restrictions.

Leigh

The Premier has announced reduced restrictions because the numbers haven't gone down as much as expected.  However, there will be some ease of restrictions, so I hope those are the ones which make you happier and able to see your family. 

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

The Premier has announced reduced restrictions because the numbers haven't gone down as much as expected.  However, there will be some ease of restrictions, so I hope those are the ones which make you happier and able to see your family. 

Yes he has said that Marion, but what will be lifted will depend on numbers this week, in particular the mystery cases number. Melburnians as a whole are becoming restless and unfortunately the mostly negative Murdoch press is not helping. I have noticed more and more that the HS is almost containing more opion articles than actual news articles about what is happening in Victoria. 

Hopefuuly the restrictions that will be lifted or reduced will satisfy the masses for now. The only things I want lifted personally are those that will enable us to travel a little further within the metropolitan area  - no way will the restrictions to travel into regional areas  be lifted - and to have friends and family visit and us to vist them. I do hope for the small business owners that there is some  help for them as well, that they will be able to operate again soon. 

Leigh

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

Yes he has said that Marion, but what will be lifted will depend on numbers this week, in particular the mystery cases number. Melburnians as a whole are becoming restless and unfortunately the mostly negative Murdoch press is not helping. I have noticed more and more that the HS is almost containing more opion articles than actual news articles about what is happening in Victoria. 

Hopefuuly the restrictions that will be lifted or reduced will satisfy the masses for now. The only things I want lifted personally are those that will enable us to travel a little further within the metropolitan area  - no way will the restrictions to travel into regional areas  be lifted - and to have friends and family visit and us to vist them. I do hope for the small business owners that there is some  help for them as well, that they will be able to operate again soon. 

Leigh

During my travels to the US, I always disliked the biased media.  I didn't dream in my lifetime, we would have a similar situation in Australia.  I love nothing better than relaxing reading a newspaper, especially the weekend press, but can no longer do so, because the Courier Mail and Gold Coast Bulletin don't offer balanced reporting.  I dislike negative reporting and Victoria is copping a lot at present, just when the numbers are reducing. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

During my travels to the US, I always disliked the biased media.  I didn't dream in my lifetime, we would have a similar situation in Australia.  I love nothing better than relaxing reading a newspaper, especially the weekend press, but can no longer do so, because the Courier Mail and Gold Coast Bulletin don't offer balanced reporting.  I dislike negative reporting and Victoria is copping a lot at present, just when the numbers are reducing. 

News is almost like sport in the US all about what team you are on 😂. When we were in Florida all the hotels streamed news in the foyer. I'm not really fond of breakfast with a side of politics😕. I've mostly given up on news, these days if I really want to know something I go to certain websites that give in-depth analysis of a topic. My theory is if it doesn't take a few page up scrolls to finish an article it isn't giving you the full picture🤔

I have just been over in Young for 3 nights, doing various things, lovely area, been there before, but went again.

Driving around and around NSW, that is the go, well that is all we can do !!!!🚘

Young is the cherry capital of Australia, bit early for cherry season, but plenty of canola about.

download (2).jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're heading up to Tea Gardens at the end of the month for 8 nights. Might take the ferry across to Nelson Bay one day. That will be the closest we'll get to a cruise for a fair while.

Enjoy, I remember doing that ferry trip, Nelson Bay/Tea Gardens, 30 years ago, nice area is Port Stephens. Changed a bit in the past 30 years I suppose, more apartments.

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Enjoy, I remember doing that ferry trip, Nelson Bay/Tea Gardens, 30 years ago, nice area is Port Stephens. Changed a bit in the past 30 years I suppose, more apartments.

Yes, it's quite a few years since we were last there. We're staying in fairly new resort apartments overlooking the Myall River. Hopefully the weather will be nice so we can enjoy evenings out on the balcony.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're heading up to Tea Gardens at the end of the month for 8 nights. Might take the ferry across to Nelson Bay one day. That will be the closest we'll get to a cruise for a fair while.

Good on ya Julie. Lynn & I have 3 nights in Parksville in December, we have a one bedroom ocean front suite. 

• Like 1

Last month did a little outback trip up to Lightning Ridge, wow I think there is an epidemic of itchy feet syndrome😜. So many travellers about, I have never seen it so busy, wait time at restaurants was about an hour just for takeaway😳 and forget about day tours all booked out. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

I’d love to do a road trip but with very little work flowing, just had to order a new wheelchair and looks like we need to but a new car after Mrs Gut got ran off the road, we were going to soon but looks like it may need to be bought forward. It doesn’t look too good.