CALLED HARBOR MASTER AT PORT EVERGLADES

rabin1

29 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Booked a new Princess cruise this week and they said they are looking at December 19th as a restart...just in time for Christmas (i booked for May 2021) 

I sure am hoping you are correct since I leave on the 20th...........lol 

Was this a TA or a cruise planner? My Princess cruise planner keeps telling me she knows nothing grrrrr

Thanks

Kathy

Edited by rabin1

56 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

I do know one more thing he told me as all the plans for sailing from all the cruise lines have been submitted as you said. I don;t know who makes that final choice but he said they are submitted.

Well, given the hoopla that the cruise lines surrounded the release of the Safe Sail report, which as I say is not the action plan that the CDC requires, but only an advisory board's recommendations, I would have thought that if they had submitted detailed, company and ship specific action/response plans, as the CDC requires, then they would have trumpeted it to the media.  I personally believe that they have only submitted the report as a position paper, and if/when the CDC agrees that the report meets their requirements, then the cruise lines will have to submit actual action/response plans.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

I sure am hoping you are correct since I leave on the 20th...........lol 

Was this a TA or a cruise planner? My Princess cruise planner keeps telling me she knows nothing grrrrr

Thanks

Kathy

It was a cruise planner through Princess (not my normal one though)

9 hours ago, Ombud said:

brisalta is correct as far as our area is concerned. San Francisco Mayor Breed closed the San Francisco Port to cruise ships (originally through 2020). Although she may decide to lift the order, currently large groups are banned here and the county is firmly in the red zone. We can't even open inside dining or bars. So Florida may open ports but, no, San Francisco California is weeks away from thinking about it.  

It will be interesting to see if the Ruby will be sailing from SF in early January as we are booked on a B2B with both legs being R/Ts from there.

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

It will be interesting to see if the Ruby will be sailing from SF in early January as we are booked on a B2B with both legs being R/Ts from there.

Maybe Mayor Schaaf will let them dock in Oakland if Mayor Breed won't let them dock. Then either ferry across to SF, Angel Island, visit the zoo (it's huge), Jack London Square, and Lake Merced (or hike hills, visit observatory, tons of other places). She let the Grand dock although she moved them to an alternative port. Kinda like when you go to NYC you dock in Brooklyn not Manhattan 

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Maybe Mayor Schaaf will let them dock in Oakland if Mayor Breed won't let them dock. Then either ferry across to SF, Angel Island, visit the zoo (it's huge), Jack London Square, and Lake Merced (or hike hills, visit observatory, tons of other places). She let the Grand dock although she moved them to an alternative port. Kinda like when you go to NYC you dock in Brooklyn not Manhattan 

There is no passenger terminal in Oakland. The Grand was an emergency and I will bet that Newsom would not permit it.  I am not planning on any cruising till summer 2022

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There were 2 different locations originally being discussed in Oakland. Schaaf (or Alameda County Supervisors) settled on an industrial port to limit public interaction. Not uncommon for industrial ports to be used abroad but if I know Oakland that's not the only option. (SF Bay Area native although I now live 20 miles east). And yes. If Newsom says no cruises from California he can block it if both SF County and Alameda County have not progressed to the yellow tier by then.  Individual cities / counties be more restrictive regarding zones but he cannot. (We should have been red zone 2 weeks ago but are still purple zone ---- nothing opening indoors)

All of this is conjecture as both of those counties are only in the red zone so a long LONG way to go

Edited to add:: 😁 SF JUST MOVED TO ORANGE TIER.  NEXT TIER IS YELLOW 💥

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

Axios is reporting this evening that the CDC extended the no sail order until October 31.  The CDC wanted to extend it to February 2021 but the White House overruled that plan.

This cruise critic thread has links to the two Axios articles: 

18 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Axios is reporting this evening that the CDC extended the no sail order until October 31.  The CDC wanted to extend it to February 2021 but the White House overruled that plan.

This cruise critic thread has links to the two Axios articles: 

Thank you and double dang..........lol

Kathy

17 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Booked a new Princess cruise this week and they said they are looking at December 19th as a restart...just in time for Christmas (i booked for May 2021) 

Yes, that currently is the Princess plan.

But the plan so far has most of the holiday cruises sailing with their original itineraries.

Other cruise lines in Europe restarted with special itineraries of limited duration with limited length and few (and sometimes no) ports. Some USA cruise lines have said when they restart it will be with short cruises and with a limited number of passengers, not the same plan so far with Princess.

Also, I do not know how fully booked the holiday cruises Princess has are. If they do sail and need to have reduced capacity, some people booked would not be able to go.

10 hours ago, memoak said:

There is no passenger terminal in Oakland. The Grand was an emergency and I will bet that Newsom would not permit it.  I am not planning on any cruising till summer 2022

Which is after all the bonus FCCs that Princess gave for cancelled cruises expire. ("Sail by 5/01/22")

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

It is the  Board of Port Commissioners of the City of Oakland that have the decision making power over the port.

The Port of Oakland does not have any facilities for passenger vessels and was used in an emergency due to being isolated.

There is no ferry from the Port of Oakland which is a security area.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While the CDC may let the no sail order expire, given that the cruise lines will need 4-6 weeks to even begin to have a ship ready to cruise from a US port (and that may be optimistic)

Of course the CDC may still end up extending the "no sail" order a month at a time, so October 31 is no more set in concrete than the September 30th date was.

Since it will take 4-6 weeks after permission is given for cruises from the USA to restart, if the current ban is extended past October 31, then the December holiday cruises that are still on the books will have to be cancelled.

On 9/28/2020 at 5:50 PM, JimmyVWine said:

Will be interesting to see what ripples the Mein Schiff 6 news generates over on this side of the Atlantic.

What ripples?  After 2 subsequent tests, the 12  crew members who initially tested positive tested negative.

10 hours ago, Ombud said:

Edited to add:: 😁 SF JUST MOVED TO ORANGE TIER.  NEXT TIER IS YELLOW 💥

That does not indicate that the City and County of San Francisco will want thousands passengers from other areas that may have high infection rates traveling to the centre of the city.

Once the port allows the Cruise Terminal to open to passenger vessels it will take some time for the cruise lines to set up basic services that they expect such as sewage transfer, bunkerage, food and beverage logistics, etc. I suspect all those services have been cancelled for the duration.

• Like 1

I personally don't think there will be SF cruises this year but I'm still hoping the city gets to yellow tier. And can stay there. I'm not sure there will be any US port cruises but Florida will definitely be first

That said I found the Harbor Master conversation interesting. Hoping for a May cruise from Florida & an August cruise from SF

• Like 1

10 hours ago, caribill said:

Yes, that currently is the Princess plan.

But the plan so far has most of the holiday cruises sailing with their original itineraries.

Other cruise lines in Europe restarted with special itineraries of limited duration with limited length and few (and sometimes no) ports. Some USA cruise lines have said when they restart it will be with short cruises and with a limited number of passengers, not the same plan so far with Princess.

Also, I do not know how fully booked the holiday cruises Princess has are. If they do sail and need to have reduced capacity, some people booked would not be able to go.

The cruise I started this post on is set to leave LA on December 20 and sail to Ft. Lauderdale. I have been watching the bookings like a hawk and it looks to me to be only 20% sold. So now I am wondering if it will go not for overbooking but for not enough people bought it. The other questions will the the ports in LA and Port Everglades be open and will there be another extension from the CDC? I have to pay for the balance on Octtober 21. I am afraid if I pay in full it might take me months to get my money back after what I have read others have gone thru. 

What would you do pay or not pay by my October 21 deadline?Just the answer to that question please

Thanks

Kathy

Edited by rabin1

6 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

The cruise I started this post on is set to leave LA on December 20 and sail to Ft. Lauderdale. I have been watching the bookings like a hawk and it looks to me to be only 20% sold. So now I am wondering if it will go not for overbooking but for not enough people bought it. The other questions will the the ports in LA and Port Everglades be open and will there be another extension from the CDC? I have to pay for the balance on Octtober 21. I am afraid if I pay in full it might take me months to get my money back after what I have read others have gone thru. 

What would you do pay or not pay by my October 21 deadline?Just the answer to that question please

Thanks

Kathy

Would not pay and cancel unless the cruise line does.  That was our plan for our December 9 cruise. By now we would have cancelled as we only had a small deposit. Would put Oct 15 as cutoff date.

Edited by Potstech

1 minute ago, Potstech said:

Would not pay and cancel unless the cruise line does.  That was our plan for our December 9 cruise. By now we would have cancelled as we only had a small deposit. Would put Oct 15 as cutoff date.

But what if they don;t cancel by final payment date of October 21 do I pay or cancel?

Thanks

Kathy

4 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

But what if they don;t cancel by final payment date of October 21 do I pay or cancel?

Thanks

Kathy

what's your risk tolerance and do you plan to sail with Princess over the next couple of years , even if it is 2022 ?

how do you feel about Princess holding 'your money' for at least a year ?

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

what's your risk tolerance and do you plan to sail with Princess over the next couple of years , even if it is 2022 ?

how do you feel about Princess holding 'your money' for at least a year ?

That is my problem. I don;t want them holding my money. Said that in my post. I read about all the horror stories of how long it took people to get their money back. I want to go back to Africa and want to do Jordan/Israel so no probably won;t be cruising for awhile. Would need the money for those trips. Both are very expensive especially Africa. I know cause been there twice

Thanks

Kathy

6 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

That is my problem. I don;t want them holding my money. Said that in my post. I read about all the horror stories of how long it took people to get their money back. I want to go back to Africa and want to do Jordan/Israel so no probably won;t be cruising for awhile. Would need the money for those trips. Both are very expensive especially Africa. I know cause been there twice

Thanks

Kathy

credit to The Steve Miller Band

Hoo-hoo-hoo, go on, take the money and run
Go on, take the money and run

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

credit to The Steve Miller Band

And that's why the Steve Miller Band is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I saw them at Bethel Woods (the original Woodstock site) with Joe Cocker. And can anyone give me a rational reason why Joe Cocker is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?