Will you cruise in Jan. or Feb.?

delliemd

2 hours ago, memoak said:

There is absolutely no time line that gets us all vaccinated by February. More likely by June or so. If all goes well

Agreed, no amount of warp speed changes the rate of science or the impact of biology,

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jagoffee said:

It sounds like you believe those that put down a deposit or pay in full with not get a refund or FCC.  I would not book a cruise if I believe as you say.  But I do not, nor do a lot of other people.

I can think of many who would have said the same about their money in Kodak or Enron, Nokia, etc. etc. or more recently GE and many others, someone always pays for others indiscretion.

We have been on over 60 Princess Cruises, but I guess I just don't see the need to sail with all that is going on in the world. We went to Cambria California as we were evacuated from our house for 24 days due to the Creek Fire and the hotel room we had was on the ocean, had an upper room with a lovely view of the sea and sunsets and were able to enjoy the ocean and not have to worry about virus. Only had to have masks when we went to the door to get our food delivered, did not bother with housekeeping and stayed so safe. So, if the idea is to stay on the Cruise ship instead of going on a tour, and sitting by a pool without having to worry about chair hogs or MaskHoles maybe it is time for folks to revisit vacations, just a thought.Have been back home for 14 days with out any issues so we are now pretty sure that we were careful to keep ourselves safe. If Princess or other cruise lines get to sail in 2021 I will be greatly surprised, just my humble opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shaver John said:

We have been on over 60 Princess Cruises, but I guess I just don't see the need to sail with all that is going on in the world. We went to Cambria California as we were evacuated from our house for 24 days due to the Creek Fire and the hotel room we had was on the ocean, had an upper room with a lovely view of the sea and sunsets and were able to enjoy the ocean and not have to worry about virus. Only had to have masks when we went to the door to get our food delivered, did not bother with housekeeping and stayed so safe. So, if the idea is to stay on the Cruise ship instead of going on a tour, and sitting by a pool without having to worry about chair hogs or MaskHoles maybe it is time for folks to revisit vacations, just a thought.

We just returned from a socially-distanced 2 week RV trip where we prepaid campground reservations online, took our own groceries, and only did outdoor activities away from crowds such as scenic mountain drives/fall leaf viewing.  

Like you I have wondered why people are so adamant about getting back on a cruise ship when they say ports don't matter and they'd be happy to just stay on the ship the entire time.  Why not just book a land vacation then?  Or go to a resort with similar amenities as a cruise (bars, restaurants, entertainment, potential ocean view, etc).  I miss cruising too, but I'm not so rabid about it that I am willing to throw common sense out the window.  

7 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Like you I have wondered why people are so adamant about getting back on a cruise ship when they say ports don't matter and they'd be happy to just stay on the ship the entire time.  Why not just book a land vacation then?  Or go to a resort with similar amenities as a cruise (bars, restaurants, entertainment, potential ocean view, etc).  I miss cruising too, but I'm not so rabid about it that I am willing to throw common sense out the window.  

We used to travel every 3 months in our RV, but discovered cruising about 8 years ago and haven't looked back. Greyhound used to have a saying, "Go Greyhound and leave the driving to us". For us cruising takes that to a whole new level. They do the driving, cooking, cleaning, laundry, provide entertainment and offer optional daytime excursions at every stop along the way. If something unforeseen happens where we need additional assistance to remedy a situation, they have a capable staff ready to help 24 hours a day. What more could one ask for?

So, yes, we're two of those folks that are ready to go cruising again and have a variety of bookings in the queue to some really cool places once Celebrity, Princess and Seabourn start sailing again. We have no issues with wearing a mask and social distancing in public areas because, at the same time, we're pretty confident the cruise lines will be doing everything they can once they start back up to also ensure a safe environment for us to enjoy our cruising experience.

We really don't see a downside if we follow the rules, just like we recently did when we flew to Seattle to visit family and stayed in a hotel for five days. I have to admit, though, it will be nice when we can put our masks back in the closet. But I will also say a balcony cabin is a must!!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, chipmaster said:

I can think of many who would have said the same about their money in Kodak or Enron, Nokia, etc. etc. or more recently GE and many others, someone always pays for others indiscretion.

Those are company investors, which is not the same.  Personally I think it is a wide stretch to put deposits and customer payments in the same category.  
Let’s hope that we do not get to test your opinion.

4 hours ago, Shaver John said:

If Princess or other cruise lines get to sail in 2021 I will be greatly surprised, just my humble opinion.

So, you think it's  going to be 15 months till cruising is back on this side of the pond?  Everyone has their opinion, but look forward to being surprised. 

2 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Since I have cruised the Caribbean 30 times,  the ship is the destination for me until I cruise to Alaska or Europe.   I have also been to about a dozen all inclusives and they do not compare to a cruise, specifically  regarding the many various entertainment options that a cruise offers.

I've had 2 cruises cancelled and a third one is on thin ice.  If cancelled, will flip it to an April sailing which I feel has a much better chance of going.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

They do the driving, cooking, cleaning, laundry, provide entertainment and offer optional daytime excursions at every stop along the way. 

I love cruising for those same reasons, but I am not willing to put my health at risk for those amenities.  I'd rather travel in my RV or other land-based options for the time being.  We also love the options as you say of 'daytime excursions at every stop along the way', but my original comments were about those who say they want to cruise so bad they don't care about ports, excursions, or getting off the ship at all.  

Don't get me wrong, we haven't given up on cruising and have 2 cruises booked for next year -- a 2 week cruise tour to Alaska in June and 2 week European in September.  But right now I don't have a high degree of confidence in either one.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 6:22 PM, cheone said:

We will be cruising  in Feb with our corona virus shot. Operation Warp Speed will make this happen.  

Operation Warp Speed is as follows:

1.Moderna and Pfizers Phase 3 trials ends in 2 weeks and results will be published.

FDA will approve the vaccines in Nov. based on the positive results of Moderna and Pfizers similar vaccines based on a RNA messenger.  

2, US govt awarded Pfizer a $1,9 million contract in July to produce 100 million doses to be delivered by Dec.  Already 40 million in stock today.

US govt gave Moderna $1.5 million for 100,000 million doses to be delivered by Dec.

3. Military will distribute the vaccines to Mckesson as soon as there is a FDA approval.

4. Mckesson was contracted as the distributer for the vaccines as McKesson has 1,000s of Distribution

centers throughout United States.

I wish you a wonderful cruise, but I would be more than surprised if it happened in February.

Booked for an Emerald cruise in January, with the final balance being due in around four weeks. Two things not working in our favour are the guarantee that this cruise will even take place, so there’s a reluctance to pay the balance, and the fact that we are unable to travel to the US from the UK at the moment and those restrictions don’t appear to be being lifted any time soon.

All that said if the border was open and the ship guaranteed to sail I would probably choose to give it a miss. I’ve seen  images of MSC’s current cruises and having a mask on, socially distancing and all the other necessary measures for keeping the guests safe don’t really make for a relaxing vacation away from it all.

We have three fully paid for, and another awaiting final payment.  Looking at some today that are good values.  However, since Princess will not confirm what "mandatory health screenings including pre-travel testing for COVID-19" means (I've emailed and called), we may be rearranging our travel plans for next year to be stateside.  Hoping not, as 2021 was supposed to be our Year of the Cruise.

• Like 1

Difficult to see how cruises will be operating in January or February at this point. 

Seems like an awful lot of positive things have to happen to allow this to take place, and positive things haven't been in good supply lately. Actually, it is currently looking like yet another wave of infections in many states and European countries.

Let's not forget the staffing issues - tens of thousands of crew members must be gathered, re-hired, and flown into position. That will take a month or so right there with the airlines operating on a shoestring. Supply chains will have to be rebuilt as well. 

I think that the most optimistic, and likely, scenario is Fall of 2021 for a return to somewhat regular operations. That would push it into 2022 for the most cautious among us. The prospect of cruising with social distancing/masking requirements isn't appealing to us. 

We're on a Nov. 2021 cruise & crossing, but I don't think the ship (Discovery) will be ready anyway.

Stay safe, all!

I would be very surprised to see cruise ships sail from the US before  March, if then.   Christmas season is out for certain, as well as January.

I believe that the covid stats will continue to escalate through the end of the year.  Cruising will be the last of the concerns.

Edited by iancal

We have a cruise scheduled for 1/7/2021 and paid.  Will it sail?  I seriously doubt it right now so we will be getting the usual "refund" to be applied to a later cruise along with a bonus for holding our money for perhaps a year the way it looks.  

4 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We have a cruise scheduled for 1/7/2021 and paid.  Will it sail?  I seriously doubt it right now so we will be getting the usual "refund" to be applied to a later cruise along with a bonus for holding our money for perhaps a year the way it looks.  

I'm in the same boat as you with a 1/9 cruise in limbo.  Assuming our cruises cancel we have the choice of a full refund or a FCC.  I will automatically flip our cruise to April or May, which has a substantially better chance of sailing. 

Every night we watch the news.  We see literally thousands of people attending rallies.  No social distancing.  No masks.

With that type of behavior by even a small segment of the population why would anyone assume that the covid outbreak is going to get better.  Clearly, these super spreader events will result in a an increase in cases.

In our area we have had 49 confirmed covid cases from a recent large wedding.  Authorities are desperately trying to trace attendees so that everyone can be tested before passing the virus on.   If there is no testing, no tracing, it seems to me that we can expect exponential increases in covid cases, covid hospitalizations, and covid deaths.

Cannot really see the cruise lines opening up in Jan for cruises from North America. Can you?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iancal said:

Every night we watch the news.  We see literally thousands of people attending rallies.  No social distancing.  No masks.

With that type of behavior by even a small segment of the population why would anyone assume that the covid outbreak is going to get better.  Clearly, these super spreader events will result in a an increase in cases.

In our area we have had 49 confirmed covid cases from a recent large wedding.  Authorities are desperately trying to trace attendees so that everyone can be tested before passing the virus on.   If there is no testing, no tracing, it seems to me that we can expect exponential increases in covid cases, covid hospitalizations, and covid deaths.

Cannot really see the cruise lines opening up in Jan for cruises from North America. Can you?

Although there seem to be a lot of these people now wearing masks than a few months ago I can only wonder if they'll be a drop in the number of infections once the election is over with. 

I can't see the CLIA allowing cruising in early 2021 either.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iancal said:

Well said. We are all tired of this virus and what it has done to our lives. That doesn't mean the virus is done with us. Pretending that it is done does not make it so...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, iancal said:

3 minutes ago, vswan said:

Well said. We are all tired of this virus and what it has done to our lives. That doesn't mean the virus is done with us. Pretending that it is done does not make it so...

Agree with both of you.....the numbers are continually headed in the wrong direction and there is no way cruise lines can overcome this....people remember what happened before when the virus got out on cruise ships....I do not believe they can create a bubble to protect people on a cruise ship.....especially with so many people believe it is not real and act according....

I find it very surprising that people may be expecting or willing to cruise in Jan/Feb.   We do not see ourselves even considering or shopping for a cruise in 2021.

Far, far to many unknowns for us.   We are assuming that a vaccine MAY be widely available by early Q3..  But we have zero knowledge of how effective that vaccine will be, what the potential reactions, medical restrictions will be, or when other, more effective vaccines become available.

There are simply too many unknowns in this puzzle to make any reasonable assumptions.    One thing for certain.......we are are not turning the corner, covid will not go away,  and the health impacts of covid vary so greatly between people regardess of age.

Until we have solid, scientific evidence and recommendations from our public health professions we intend to stay away from cruising in favor of land travel.  We are in our late 60's and in good health.  Why on earth would we compromise our health simply because of bravado.  Jumping on a cruise ship before we believe it is safe to do so.....no thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iancal said:

IJumping on a cruise ship before we believe it is safe to do so.....no thanks.

We don't plan to jump on a cruise ship before it is safe to do so either. We have a seven day cruise booked on the Royal Princess last part of January, 2021 followed by a four day cruise. If it sails we will be on it.

35 minutes ago, billco said:

We don't plan to jump on a cruise ship before it is safe to do so either. We have a seven day cruise booked on the Royal Princess last part of January, 2021 followed by a four day cruise. If it sails we will be on it.

There is no way a cruise will be safe in January. There will no be widespread access to vaccines by then. No vaccine no safety 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iancal said:

I find it very surprising that people may be expecting or willing to cruise in Jan/Feb.   We do not see ourselves even considering or shopping for a cruise in 2021.

Far, far to many unknowns for us.   We are assuming that a vaccine MAY be widely available by early Q3..  But we have zero knowledge of how effective that vaccine will be, what the potential reactions, medical restrictions will be, or when other, more effective vaccines become available.

There are simply too many unknowns in this puzzle to make any reasonable assumptions.    One thing for certain.......we are are not turning the corner, covid will not go away,  and the health impacts of covid vary so greatly between people regardess of age.

Until we have solid, scientific evidence and recommendations from our public health professions we intend to stay away from cruising in favor of land travel.  We are in our late 60's and in good health.  Why on earth would we compromise our health simply because of bravado.  Jumping on a cruise ship before we believe it is safe to do so.....no thanks.

Everyone has then own unique perspective when it comes to determining when it will be safe to cruise.  You assume that a vaccine will not be available until July, you wish to see how it progresses and I can infer that you will not cruise until 2022.

At the same time there are people willing to cruise ASAP as long as the guidelines that are in place make them feel safe.  With mandatory masks, 50% capacity and the other new protocols that will be implemented, these are sufficient enough to make a certain percentage of cruisers still wish to cruise. Your last line states about jumping on a cruise ship before you believe it is safe to do so.  You wish to wait until 2022 until a vaccine has been out for over 6 months.  Others are ready to cruise ASAP because in their opinion, the protocols that will be put in place give them a sense of security that you feel will not be achieved until 2022.

• Like 4