The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

@Renmar and @Coral are both correct. Alexandrosky Sad is, indeed, the name of a metro station but Alexandrosky Sad (Александровский сад) translates to Alexander's Garden where the tomb of the unknown soldier is located. So, win - win.

As you will recall Coral, Alexander's Garden is located exactly where you said it was - right outside of Red Square. Alexander Garden stretches along the length of the Kremlin's western wall. Check the map below.

1215535258_Mapa-del-Kremlin-en-Ingls-Completo(1).thumb.jpg.e0bb742ed147927fa472c4792cb2febd.jpg

@notamermaid, I am a bit of an insomniac and am usually up by 4am - my little puppy wants me up even earlier - she starts wailing at about 3:30am. 😏 Anyway, I usually read your river cruise posts very early in the morning and appreciate that they provide me with something uplifting/fun to read in the early hours other than what is usually depressing national/international news. 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

@Renmar and @Coral are both correct. Alexandrosky Sad is, indeed, the name of a metro station but Alexandrosky Sad (Александровский сад) translates to Alexander's Garden where the tomb of the unknown soldier is located. So, win - win.

As you will recall Coral, Alexander's Garden is located exactly where you said it was - right outside of Red Square. Alexander Garden stretches along the length of the Kremlin's western wall. Check the map below.

1215535258_Mapa-del-Kremlin-en-Ingls-Completo(1).thumb.jpg.e0bb742ed147927fa472c4792cb2febd.jpg

That makes sense! Thanks for clarification. 

I figured with the Cyrillic language people would probably figure out Russia (or similar) and the obvious flame representing Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I figured it would be easy to guess.

I kept thinking Metro Station as opposed to garden. Renmar was trying to be more accurate that I  needed. Impressed, especially if they had not been there.

@dogs4fun Thank you. And I am sure the puppy will learn, I suppose she is still a bit confused in her nervous system, like some babies are, 5am sounds like a good aim for you. My goodness! Could not do that. Coherent sentences for me do not start before 9am as I am a night owl.

It is the brightest sunshine here and for the first time today I have worn my thinner jacket without hood and scarf into town. Felt lovely.

And I have just found this amazing itinerary on the Moselle I just need to tell you about in the Moselle thread... But first some work, tourism project.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added name
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

@notamermaid, I am a bit of an insomniac and am usually up by 4am - my little puppy wants me up even earlier - she starts wailing at about 3:30am. 😏 Anyway, I usually read your river cruise posts very early in the morning and appreciate that they provide me with something uplifting/fun to read in the early hours other than what is usually depressing national/international news. 

If I remember correctly - this (Tomb of Unknown Soldier) is right across from McDonalds and Sbarro pizza if they are still there...... Or am I disoriented?

I always find things like this funny. I remember driving around Gettysburg looking at sites and right behind me was a field and then a row of fast food restaurants.

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

If I remember correctly - this (Tomb of Unknown Soldier) is right across from McDonalds and Sbarro pizza if they are still there...... Or am I disoriented?

You aren't disoriented - there is a McDonalds & Burger King in Manege Square (across from the tomb). I don't recall the pizza joint but that doesn't mean it isn't there - I am not the most observant, especially when I am gawking at impressive sights. 😏

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dogs4fun said:

No clue as to location. No way I would hold one of those!

All I can say is it wasn't really an option. On alighting the bus the children descended and suddenly their "pets" were on you. Some folk stayed on the bus.

IMGP1851.JPG

23 minutes ago, vada_9 said:

Not the Amazon - They say the stings have been removed - think they were pets? (or dinner?)

Can you imagine that job - removing the stings??? Did I get #1 and #2 or was that #3, can't tell the difference, we will just hope we got all 3 of them. 

There is no way I would let that near me.

Looking at your signature -you have been to some very exotic places. Let me try Vietnam?

Edited by Coral

I think that it might be Cambodia, on the road between Siem Reap and where we boarded the ship on the Tonle River. We stopped for lunch along the way. I remember avoiding the insect market at the stop.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I think that it might be Cambodia, on the road between Siem Reap and where we boarded the ship on the Tonle River. We stopped for lunch along the way. I remember avoiding the insect market at the stop.

I wondered if it was on their Vietnam - Cambodia trip in their signature. I picked Vietnam but thought it was one of the two.

20 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

OMG - deep fried tarantulas is a delicacy in Cambodia.... I am not going there.

20 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

You are correct, we stopped here for a toilet stop - (marked Spider Market on Google maps), on the bus transfer from Siem Reap to the ship on the Tonle River.  we were warned that the spider thing would happen. Didn't use toilet, but I did a wander around the market. The market had many interesting things including dried crickets, frogs and spiders. There was a German chap who bought and ate a bit of each, (not me).   My husband got caught by the kids, ended up buying heaps of bananas and pineapple - he couldn't remember who he said he would buy from - so bought from a lot of kids.

Your turn now. 

14 minutes ago, Coral said:

OMG - deep fried tarantulas is a delicacy in Cambodia.... I am not going there.

You must remember, these folk had once been starving under the Khmer Rouge rule. They ate anything that moved.

Sorry, I never saw your earlier edit - so didn't reply. We did exotic locations as my husband didn't much like flying - 9 hours was his limit for many years.

Edited by vada_9
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, vada_9 said:

You must remember, these folk had once been starving under the Khmer Rouge rule. They ate anything that moved.

Sorry, I never saw your earlier edit - so didn't reply. We did exotic locations as my husband didn't much like flying - 9 hours was his limit for many years.

I can't even imagine living like that. I am so sorry for those individuals. 

You are far more daring than I am. And more worldly. 

1 hour ago, vada_9 said:

I'm in the opposite situation:  we can't visit Australia because DW's flying limit is 12 hours.  LAX to Auckland will just make it, but LAX to Sydney is a bridge too far.  [Unless Hawaiian Air keeps their new non-stops from Honolulu to Auckland and to Sydney.]

If you have a tarantula walking over your hand and up your arm you can actually feel each of its legs as they place it on your skin, it’s how they check that what there walking on is safe. It is the most peculiar feeling, I’m not to sure if I would do it again, it was in that most exotic of locations, a pet shop in Sandhurst. CA

A cultural aside, insects  and arthropods in general, are a food source the world over.  They are cheap, easy to raise and harvest, and full of protein.  There are street corner vendors in Korea that sell deep fried grubs.  They were one of our running jokes whenever our Navy ship pulled into port there.  I'm not sure any of us ever worked up the courage to eat one.

Not debating that the population there didn't suffer, but that many places choose to eat arthropods even in good times.

The cultural skittishness about eating them though, is a whole different ball game.

There is even a Sardinian delicacy of cheese with live maggots in it.  When eating it, you much keep your hand over the dish to keep them from squirming out.  Again, just no from my stand point!